SiouxSports.com Forum

texting ban

Vegas_Sioux

Until the person texting runs into you. Do you really believe someone that is trying to text and drive is not an idiot for doing so? Or are you just one of those idiots that do text and drive?

I don't think people are advocating texting and driving. They're just pointing out that simply passing a law against it doesn't necessarily deter the behavior.

Have you ever driven above the speed limit?

Have you ever eaten while driving? How is that any less distracting than texting?

I don't think people are advocating texting and driving. They're just pointing out that simply passing a law against it doesn't necessarily deter the behavior.

Have you ever eaten while driving? How is that any less distracting than texting?

Quite a bit of difference between them.

There is a law against one of those, however -- driving over the speed limit. Still, I am not crazy about the law. Too many logical inconsistencies. i.e. It's illegal to text while driving, but not to put on make up while driving, eat or drink beverages while driving, tune the radio while driving, talk on a phone while driving, converse with a passenger while driving... etc., etc., etc. You can't legislate out stupidity or legislate in common sense. But I guess we will keep trying all in the name of feeling better about ourselves without actually doing anything to actually make things better.

if someone cannot text and drive safely, they probably shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place. I text and drive from time to time. I don't do it in bumper to bumper traffic. I don't do it as I pass through unmarked intersections. I absolutely don't do so with kids in the car.If i am on I-29 with nobody around, then i am fine with deterring my eves for a couple seconds. The one thing that the law has changed is that when I'm texting at the stoplight, I am looking around to see who is watching, hopefully not an officer... :huh:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

if someone cannot text and drive safely, they probably shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place. I text and drive from time to time. I don't do it in bumper to bumper traffic. I don't do it as I pass through unmarked intersections. I absolutely don't do so with kids in the car.If i am on I-29 with nobody around, then i am fine with deterring my eves for a couple seconds. The one thing that the law has changed is that when I'm texting at the stoplight, I am looking around to see who is watching, hopefully not an officer... :huh:

It is people like you who should not be behind the wheel. Are you going to say that you have not drfited all over the road while texting? You probably did not notice you were because that text message was so important to read while driving.

• Upvote 1

I have to wonder, have you ever seen a deer crossing a road. When I lived in Grand Forks, I occasionally saw a deer cross I-29. Living near DC and Baltimore, I see it as well and this is a much more populated area and even gets under the fences. How long does it take for a deer to cross the road? How long did you say you distracted yourself from your primary mission, driving? I hope you don't end up with a serious accident as you certainly appear to be taking a very risky proposition. There are other examples as well but I used this as I saw a car after it had plowed into a deer crossing I-95 and there were fatalities reported in the accident. Texting while driving is just not smart. Laws that are unenforceable are not smart either but it does make law makers feel that they did something even when current laws are not being enforced.

When I read the article and saw that only one ticket and a warning had been issued under this law, I don't even drive around town that much and I could have written at least 25 tickets, been almost hit twice on Washington by folks with their heads down. One kid was driving while holding his phone at the top of his steering wheel texting. The cops obviously are not looking too hard.

How noble of you. How about if there are cars around you with kids in them? Do you stop texting then or is just the kids in your car you are worried about?

I think we can agree that texting is more difficult than just talking on the phone.

Now, what's more dangerous: talking on the phone or ...

How about trying to eat fast food while driving? I've seen plenty of people trying to work a burger/sandwich and not keep the car real straight. Anything that distracts a person from operating a 3000 lb. piece of equipment while doing 25-40 mph shouldn't be allowed.

How about trying to eat fast food while driving? I've seen plenty of people trying to work a burger/sandwich and not keep the car real straight. Anything that distracts a person from operating a 3000 lb. piece of equipment while doing 25-40 mph shouldn't be allowed.

I saw a doozy recently. I was behind someone who seemed to be poking along. I changed lanes and got around her to see that she had a cigarette in her left hand hanging out the window and the phone in her right hand. She must have been knee driving. This was on a road similar in traffic volume to 32nd Ave.

I saw a doozy recently. I was behind someone who seemed to be poking along. I changed lanes and got around her to see that she had a cigarette in her left hand hanging out the window and the phone in her right hand. She must have been knee driving. This was on a road similar in traffic volume to 32nd Ave.

Here it would be a beer and a cell phone.