SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 World Juniors

AZSIOUX

http://www.facebook.com/USAHockey

Nelson, Forbort make team - Rocco does notThe 2011 U.S. National Junior Team:

Goaltenders - Jack Campbell, Andy Iles

Defensemen - Brian Dumoulin, Justin Faulk, Derek Forbort, Nick Leddy, Jon Merrill, John Ramage, Patrick Wey

Forwards - Nick Bjugstad, Ryan Bourque, Chris Brown, Mitch Callahan, Charlie Coyle, Jerry D'Amigo, Emerson Etem, Chris Kreider, Jeremy Morin, Brock Nelson, Kyle Palmieri, Drew Shore, Jason Zucker

Well, at least I'll get to see Rocco play when the U-18s play the Gophers on the 7th. :)

I live too close to not go see that.

http://www.facebook.com/USAHockey

Nelson, Forbort make team - Rocco does not

The 2011 U.S. National Junior Team:

Goaltenders - Jack Campbell, Andy Iles

Defensemen - Brian Dumoulin, Justin Faulk, Derek Forbort, Nick Leddy, Jon Merrill, John Ramage, Patrick Wey

Forwards - Nick Bjugstad, Ryan Bourque, Chris Brown, Mitch Callahan, Charlie Coyle, Jerry D'Amigo, Emerson Etem, Chris Kreider, Jeremy Morin, Brock Nelson, Kyle Palmieri, Drew Shore, Jason Zucker

Rocco not making it.....is that considered surprising?

Rocco not making it.....is that considered surprising?

He was the youngest player there. I think adding Morin to the team showed that Team USA was looking for a team with more grit throughout the lineup. Likely a reaction to the team Canada has put together.

Could it be the size thing again?

not a size thing, an age thing i would imagine. the usa coaches put together a team with age, grit and experience. i don't think it is to combat the team canada put together, i think it is the team the usa considers gives it the best chance of winning. we are the defending champs, not canada this year, with our winning goalie back and 4 ahlers (some with considerable nhl experience). morin being sent back to the ahl and allowed to go come to the wjc is probably what did rocco in. by all accounts he is dynamic, but he would have been the youngest AND smallest player on the team. he will be representing his country the next couple of years. should be a hell of a tournament. hopefully this experience springboards nelsons second half, we have definately seen glimpses of his skill, but as some have said earlier, just too easy to take off the puck (he should talk to vandy about that :D ). lets go USA!!! good to have some great hockey to watch over the holidays!!! will be nice to have some boys come back with the gold... not since parise, stafford and murray right? prediction... usa wins gold on home ice, forbort is a force and makes all tourney team!!

Rocco is 17.he will be on the next 2 teams come wjt time.they went with some more experience and as mentioned when morin showed up I thought it would be between Nelson and Rocco or bjugstad leaving. Go USA and a big congrats to forbort and Nelson! Team USA has some size up the middle and a goalie who has big game experience.I'll take USA to go back to back on home soil up in buffalo! Hopefully grand forks will get the next wjt in the states.

not a size thing, an age thing i would imagine. the usa coaches put together a team with age, grit and experience. i don't think it is to combat the team canada put together, i think it is the team the usa considers gives it the best chance of winning. we are the defending champs, not canada this year, with our winning goalie back and 4 ahlers (some with considerable nhl experience). morin being sent back to the ahl and allowed to go come to the wjc is probably what did rocco in. by all accounts he is dynamic, but he would have been the youngest AND smallest player on the team. he will be representing his country the next couple of years. should be a hell of a tournament. hopefully this experience springboards nelsons second half, we have definately seen glimpses of his skill, but as some have said earlier, just too easy to take off the puck (he should talk to vandy about that :D ). lets go USA!!! good to have some great hockey to watch over the holidays!!! will be nice to have some boys come back with the gold... not since parise, stafford and murray right? prediction... usa wins gold on home ice, forbort is a force and makes all tourney team!!

Kristo last year?

Rocco is 17.he will be on the next 2 teams come wjt time.they went with some more experience and as mentioned when morin showed up I thought it would be between Nelson and Rocco or bjugstad leaving. Go USA and a big congrats to forbort and Nelson! Team USA has some size up the middle and a goalie who has big game experience.I'll take USA to go back to back on home soil up in buffalo! Hopefully grand forks will get the next wjt in the states.

I read that they went with more Grit and experience because of the roster that team Canada has...

Kristo last year?

i forgot about kristo last year. don't know how, he had a great tourney. and i'm not sure about the rumors of creating a roster to combat one other teams roster. canada has a great wjc team every year, that hasn't changed. canada still has the deepest crop of stars to pluck from. what has changed is that usa hockey has progressed greatly in the last decade. i think canada is always going to be one of the teams to beat, but believe me when i say that canada better be just as aware of this usa team as we are of them. and i believe there are a few other teams in this tourney that might have a thing or two to say about it before its all said and done.

I guess I don't know many players that are 11 feet tall and weigh 322 pounds, so I don't think he is playing against players nearly twice his size. I know what she is saying, and it may be that they are gearing themselves against specific teams, but his size hasn't deterred him thus far and I don't think it will be an issue going forward at the next level. Who knows, the USA might wish they had him if they get into a long shootout scenario like the one where Toews took Frazee down to Chinatown.

There was an article at the Star tribune on the Junior team selections, and the reader banter included a non-UND fan who made the statement that UND hasn't sent anyone to the NHL lately, especially in the last 4 years. I thought of about 5 in the first minute, but It got me thinking how many Former Fighting Sioux are currently in the NHL. I suppose it's a little off topic, but do we have a link that has a list of current players and the year they left UND. I kept thinking there are very few colleges with the track record of developing NHL players better than the Sioux in the last 5 years.

There was an article at the Star tribune on the Junior team selections, and the reader banter included a non-UND fan who made the statement that UND hasn't sent anyone to the NHL lately, especially in the last 4 years. I thought of about 5 in the first minute, but It got me thinking how many Former Fighting Sioux are currently in the NHL. I suppose it's a little off topic, but do we have a link that has a list of current players and the year they left UND. I kept thinking there are very few colleges with the track record of developing NHL players better than the Sioux in the last 5 years.

AZSioux keeps a list of former players in the pros and in coaching. He has it at azsioux.com, top of the list on the left. It seems pretty accurate. The media guide usually has a list also. And you can search by player name or by team at hockeydb.com to get complete lists of teams each player has played on, or players on each team.

Does Frazee count? :lol:

He hasn't stepped on the ice in a New Jersey sweater yet, but the Sioux did send him to the pros...so to speak. Bina may have done it single-handed-ly.

Had an inkling that Nelson would make the squad. Great on the draws and creative with the puck. Doesn't have to be overly physical because of the international game.

Forbort is not a surprise at all. I think he'll be in the National Hockey League in T-minus three years.