SiouxSports.com Forum

Politicians Trying To Push Sioux/Bison Game Again

octupus25

It would seem from this thread some of the Sioux fans are much more desparate for this game than any of our fans are.... :silly: Especially if you think the goofs at the legislature ought to mess around with this. The best thing the folks in Grand Forks could do is boot that idiot Cory Mock out of office.......

I assume most fans from both sides think it is outrageous that the Bison and Sioux don't play each other. Your comment about the legislature staying out of this is akin to saying "keep your government hands off my Medicare."

I personally am not that obsessed over playing the Bison again. If it happens, that's great. If not, life will go on, the sun will come up every day in the East and Bison fans will continue to insist that hockey doesn't matter (mainly because they don't sponsor it).

I also have ZERO patience with some of our fans who wanted us in the Summit/MVFC because "I want to play the Bison again". We cannot make big decisions like that based on what NDAC does or doesn't do.

Let the process play itself out. I think the game will be back on a year-to-year basis at some point, but until then let's focus on our own program and getting it back to what it was five years ago.

I personally am not that obsessed over playing the Bison again. If it happens, that's great. If not, life will go on, the sun will come up every day in the East and Bison fans will continue to insist that hockey doesn't matter (mainly because they don't sponsor it).

I also have ZERO patience with some of our fans who wanted us in the Summit/MVFC because "I want to play the Bison again". We cannot make big decisions like that based on what NDAC does or doesn't do.

Let the process play itself out. I think the game will be back on a year-to-year basis at some point, but until then let's focus on our own program and getting it back to what it was five years ago.

Amen! Let's move on and save our energy for the BSC and beyond. The AC game is history. Let both schools carve their own destiny. Maybe they will meet in the playoffs someday.

I assume most fans from both sides think it is outrageous that the Bison and Sioux don't play each other. Your comment about the legislature staying out of this is akin to saying "keep your government hands off my Medicare."

Actually most Bison fans could not care less about playing the Sioux, and quite honestly, most the Sioux supporters I know feel about the same way since you guys got into the Sky. Cory Mock is a damn fool for what he wants to do......and before you accuse me of being a right winger for being down on Mock, I will tell you that I am a past State Chair of the ND Young Democrats and most who know me would say that I am from the left wing of the Party. I just think Mock is an idiot for trying to pander to a few folks on this issue. As a Dem I find that kind of move is where people get the idea that Dems promote too much government. Mock is a fool.

It would seem from this thread some of the Sioux fans are much more desparate for this game than any of our fans are.... :silly: Especially if you think the goofs at the legislature ought to mess around with this. The best thing the folks in Grand Forks could do is boot that idiot Cory Mock out of office.......

I'm not sure how many here have been to a Teammakers meeting recently, but he's right. The active NDSU alums (ie donors) do not want this game.

When the Sioux see their Big Sky football schedule, they will finally realize that they do not have room in their schedule annually to play NDSU. If they have an annual game, they will have less scheduling flexibility than NDSU who has 3 games ooc annually. UND will likely have 9 conference games fixed if the west coast Big Sky teams have anything to say about it, leaving only 2 ooc games. Will that leave room for NDSU annually along and an FBS? Are you kidding me, NO WAY! UND needs an annual NDSU game about as badly as they need to bring their former AD back to Grand Forks. Every other year would be the best case scenario for both schools.

Neither school needs a tough in-state match-up, they need FCS wins to make the playoffs. Annually, no way! Every other year, maybe. And we haven't even started talking about the money situation for NDSU and the need to maximize it for NDSU primary revenue sport. That's a whole other issue. I'm sure that when the state legislature realizes than "annual" isn't in UND's best interest, this whole thing will die down.

That's why UND wants the game yearly. :D

Perhaps you may not want to make those types of comments after a season when your 3 wins were against a bad D2 team, a team without a D1 win in over a year and a team in its first year of football. I'm sure better years are on the horizon for UND football, but now is not the time to gloat over your football program.

Perhaps you may not want to make those types of comments after a season when your 3 wins were against a bad D2 team, a team without a D1 win in over a year and a team in its first year of football. I'm sure better years are on the horizon for UND football, but now is not the time to gloat over your football program.

Hmm. Hasn't there been some gloating by a school with a recent playoff victory over a team with 28 scholarships. :silly: Augustana may be a better team than the one you beat. ;)

Hmm. Hasn't there been some gloating by a school with a recent playoff victory over a team with 28 scholarships. :silly: Augustana may be a better team than the one you beat. ;)

Don't think I was gloating, I'm just glad the Bison won and live to play another week or more. It will be interesting when UND makes the playoffs for the first time and declines the invitation because the opposing team doesn't have the full allotment of scholarships. I'm pretty sure NDSU didn't tell the NCAA who they were going to play. ;)

On a side question....Is the Nickel Trophy permanently retired, or if UND-NDSU ever renew the rivalry either every year or every other year would they bring the trophy back?

I think it is history......I would imagine the games would be played......but it was the students that kept the importance of the Nickel alive. The last time the teams played this current crop of students were in either middle or grade school. By the time we play again (probably in the playoffs on down the road) the Nickel will be just a piece of history for some of us older alumni. Probably time to send it to the State Historical Society.......

I am amazed when you talk to current students, most don't have a clue what it is. But, then again, most students can walk their asses a couple blocks to a football game and support the team. :angry:

Northwestern State was 5-6 this year with 4 of those being Southland wins.

Seriously this is just plain stupid. I mean as a Bison fan I do see that NDSU and UND will play again at sometime in the future. However politicians need to STAY OUT of this. First off both NDSU's and UND's schedules will already be pretty full just with the conference schedule, and secondly both UND and NDSU will be scheduling a FBS school as one of the non conference games (because those games are HUGE pay-outs for both schools, and possibly a good way to gain more and better recruits). In the future the best way to settle this is to play every other year. But from what I have heard Faison is thinking that UND is so important to NDSU that this game has to be every year. While it would be interesting to play UND again, we really don't need UND (just like UND doesn't need NDSU). If UND can't accept playing NDSU every OTHER year then this game should not happen (remember UND COULD have kept the rivalry going but you did not move to DI when we did).

On a side question....Is the Nickel Trophy permanently retired, or if UND-NDSU ever renew the rivalry either every year or every other year would they bring the trophy back?

I would asume that the Nickel is permanently retired since the Sioux logo is no longer going to be used. I would imagine it should reside with the team that won it last and also won it more times than the other team. Therefore it's permanent home is with UND. I really don't think there is any debate over that, UND won the series and that's that.

I would asume that the Nickel is permanently retired since the Sioux logo is no longer going to be used. I would imagine it should reside with the team that won it last and also won it more times than the other team. Therefore it's permanent home is with UND. I really don't think there is any debate over that, UND won the series and that's that.

Actually as a part of ND history it would be appropriate to place it at the Heritage Center. You guys are not even going to have than nickname anymore.....doesn't that nickname end at midnight today? I guess if the UND folks want to cling to it, the NDSU fans probably don't really care anymore. Like I said earlier.....it has been left to the dust of history.

Actually as a part of ND history it would be appropriate to place it at the Heritage Center. You guys are not even going to have than nickname anymore.....doesn't that nickname end at midnight today? I guess if the UND folks want to cling to it, the NDSU fans probably don't really care anymore. Like I said earlier.....it has been left to the dust of history.

why don't you go back to bisonville and talk smack about UND. I find it interesting how you try and act nice here, and do nothing but talk smack about the Sioux on bisonville.

UND fans are proud of all the victories over NDSU and if NDSU fans don't care then I guess we don't need to go any further with this discussion. UND will keep it proudly and cherish it proudly. So be it.