SiouxSports.com Forum

Politicians Trying To Push Sioux/Bison Game Again

octupus25

What do you all think about politicians trying to push the game. Details: http://regularguyrant.com/?p=3629

Personally I think they should stay out of it. I want to see it, but not by them forcing it or even pushing it.

The last thing I want is some bureaucrat messing with my football.. The ADs from NDSU and UND should agree to do the game every other year that was talked about. It would be a starting point. Once UND starts the Big Sky conference schedule, they will see how tough it is to schedule a annual game with the Bison. The few non-conference games are used for the big money matchups like Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa State. I would like to play the Sioux yearly but it doesn't sound like it's gonna happen.

They really need to stay out of it. These guys have to come to some sort of agreement. How about 2 consecutive years with no guarantee after that. See how it goes and than decide how to continue after that. There is a standing offer by both schools that neither is willing to accept and it doesn't sound like there will be any budging.

I agree this is not a proper role for governement. However, government gets involved in things it has no business getting involved in all the time. Given the economic impact of this game for the universities and the state, and the fact that no progress has been made on the issue since the last time it was raised, I'd argue the government has more of a stake in this dispute than in a lot of things it does. Having said that, there is no way the government will force this game. It's just politicians talking and getting their names in the paper.

Personally, I think both sides are being dumb. The game should be played every year, but Faison should not have such a hard line on it. Faison should agree to set it up for every other year. Just get it started in some capacity. I truly believe that once the first game is played, people will realize how stupid it is not to play every year and sanity will prevail.

As a UND fan, I'd have no problem with two non-conference games against Dakota schools (one home and one away) every year. My preference would be every year against NDSU and every other year against USD and SDSU. However, it seems more likely that USD would agree to an annual game and NDSU and SDSU would agree to every other year. Either way, two non-conference Dakota games and one FBS money game would be just fine with me. UND could bring on some other FCS non-conference opponent on years when 12 games are allowed. Quite frankly, other than the Dakota schools, I don't like the odds of bringing in name-brand non-conference FCS schools on a regular basis anyway. There really is no track history of that for any of the Dakota schools. UND's schedule will get enough variety with a 13-team Big Sky anyway.

The two AD's have been talking. That to me shows signs of progress. Gene Taylor called Faison last month when Georgia Southern bought out of thier contract with NDSU for 2011. UND doesn't share an open date with NDSU so it wasn't scheduled. It will eventually happen just like the other sports that are already scheduled. I don't think this is a good time to force a game on both schools. UND is just getting into the BSC and they need time to figure out what their schedule will look like. It would be pretty foolish to force a game right now.

State gov should not be involved in passing any bill to force the games to happen.

If they really feel they have to go that route then they should put up some $$$, How about $500,000 to the visiting team...then we would see if the Bison really want the games to happen or are just making excuses to avoid a yearly loss.

Whether it's right or wrong for the legislature to get involved does anyone really believe that this series will ever get renewed unless they step in? If the legislature does not force a game I really don' t think these two teams will meet on the football field outside of the playoffs for 20+ seasons at a minimum.

Yes easily. The NDSU AD called the UND AD this year looking to schedule a game.

Do you honestly think Taylor didn't know UND had a guarantee game already scheduled for that weekend before he made the call? UND's 2011 FBS games and dates are on fightingsioux.com for the world to see, so I find it very difficult to believe the NDSU athletic director needed to actually call UND's athletic director to see if that date was open. By calling Faison and making the offer, Taylor gets to tell the newspaper reporter about it and make it appear as though he's reaching out, even though he knew no game would be scheduled as a result.

And furthermore, even if UND had an open date for that weeekend, what would it have mattered? Faison would still want an annual commitment before agreeing to schedule the game, and Taylor would have refused. Faison's insistance on an annual game and Taylor's insistance that it not be an annual game is the real problem preventing the rivalry from being scheduled. Until one of them changes their stance, or higher authorities intervene, the rivalry will not be renewed.

Do you honestly think Taylor didn't know UND had a guarantee game already scheduled for that weekend before he made the call? UND's 2011 FBS games and dates are on fightingsioux.com for the world to see, so I find it very difficult to believe the NDSU athletic director needed to actually call UND's athletic director to see if that date was open. By calling Faison and making the offer, Taylor gets to tell the newspaper reporter about it and make it appear as though he's reaching out, even though he knew no game would be scheduled as a result.

Until one of them changes their stance, or higher authorities intervene, the rivalry will not be renewed.

Teams cancel their scheduling commitments all the time. Happened to NDSU that's why they called. Just pointing out that yes it is easy to believe they will play again in the foreseen future, especially now that UND has a conference.

And one or both could easily "change their stance." I haven't heard one AD say yet lets just play a simple home and home for starters and go from there?! Wow there's a shocker. Schedule NDSU like you do with most other nonconference games.

It might mean a lot to North Dakota natives but for these two non North Dakotan AD's they have a lot more to worry and care about than one football game a year.

NDSU has bigger fish to fry. Why play UND? NDSU already gets anyone they want when they recruit against UND. NDSU can however, make a huge load of cash playing a low-midlevel opponent from a BCS conference and open up a new recruiting center in the area following the game. Gene Taylor has the right idea when he pretty much says, "You come here a few times then we'll talk about going up there for one." The legislature won't do a thing about forcing the game because its not exactly beneficial to both schools, quite the contrary, really hurts NDSU.

Yours truly from Johnson Hall at North Dakota's largest University,

WhatsHockey?

• Downvote 5

NDSU has bigger fish to fry. Why play UND? NDSU already gets anyone they want when they recruit against UND. NDSU can however, make a huge load of cash playing a low-midlevel opponent from a BCS conference and open up a new recruiting center in the area following the game. Gene Taylor has the right idea when he pretty much says, "You come here a few times then we'll talk about going up there for one." The legislature won't do a thing about forcing the game because its not exactly beneficial to both schools, quite the contrary, really hurts NDSU.

WhatsHockey?

This is a bald-faced lie, pure and simple. How do you explain UND winning 10 out of the last 13 games against NDSU? Luck? I don't think so.

Happy Thanksgiving troll. Now, go away. :silly:

Pretty stupid if you ask me. Are there not better things they can spend time working on?

Like passing new laws like banning texting while driving. Uping the speeding fines in the state. Lowering our taxes. Getting a damn diversion built in Fargo. Why can't they leave sports to the schools unless they lobby to get a pro team here. :D

Like passing new laws like banning texting while driving. Uping the speeding fines in the state. Lowering our taxes. Getting a damn diversion built in Fargo. Why can't they leave sports to the schools unless they lobby to get a pro team here. :D

There's rumors a certain MN team may be up for sale soon..... :silly:

So if the state is so hot to have this game happen, authorize an expenditure of some of that excess Bakken cash.........pay $300,000 to the host athletic department and $600,000 to the traveling athletic department. But....do not require the game be played. I will tell you, this thing would get scheduled so damn fast it would make your head spin.

So if the state is so hot to have this game happen, authorize an expenditure of some of that excess Bakken cash.........pay $300,000 to the host athletic department and $600,000 to the traveling athletic department. But....do not require the game be played. I will tell you, this thing would get scheduled so damn fast it would make your head spin.

Nothing official is going to come out of the Legislature this time around. Any pressure is going to come from individual officials. And the Legislature is going to get requests for several times the current budget surplus so they aren't going to spend it for a football game.

Why should the legislature not put pressure on two STATE schools? Any amount of cash either UND or NDSU would get from playing an FBS schools is trivial compared to the STATE money both schools get. I'm sick of both UND and NDSU letting egos get in the way of rivalry games. If the legislature needs to step in, so be it. The ADs at both schools have had more than half a decade to figure this out. Time's up.

Why should the legislature not put pressure on two STATE schools? Any amount of cash either UND or NDSU would get from playing an FBS schools is trivial compared to the STATE money both schools get. I'm sick of both UND and NDSU letting egos get in the way of rivalry games. If the legislature needs to step in, so be it. The ADs at both schools have had more than half a decade to figure this out. Time's up.

Dam right times up. The state has has every right to interfere if it wants to. Were not talking about Mary being forced to play Jamestown. Big difference.

It would seem from this thread some of the Sioux fans are much more desparate for this game than any of our fans are.... :silly: Especially if you think the goofs at the legislature ought to mess around with this. The best thing the folks in Grand Forks could do is boot that idiot Cory Mock out of office.......

WhatsHockey?

Skippy, you might want to go over here to Belligerentville where you can take you anti-UND approach.