SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Post Season

Matt

IF the Griz don't puke it up twice in the red zone yesterday, they beat the Cats and NDSU sits at home. IMO...yes, the Griz would whup SU. Now if SU and MT. St meet in the 2nd round...ouch, that one is going to get ugly. MT. St is no MO. St.

Let's face it...it took a "perfect storm" scenerio for NDSU to get in.

NDSU's defense is good enough to keep them in almost any game

They had a lot of fun with our attendance in the playoffs (even though we had home playoff games every year for 6-7 years). Lets see how many people they get to show up when:

- Everyone has to buy a ticket. Everyone. Students, season ticket holders, faculty, parents.

- They can't have 2 for 1's at Stop and Go.

- It is Thanksgiving Weekend = No Students

- They can't lie about there attendance because season tickets don't count anymore.

- They are playing the worst team in the entire field which was a complete gift by the committee.

I am guessing there will be 10-11k.

Lol. There will be 17K minimum, YOu are truly delusional to think a playoff game will get 12K. lol. A lot of fair weather fans will show

Lol. There will be 17K minimum, YOu are truly delusional to think a playoff game will get 12K. lol. A lot of fair weather fans will show

I'm inclined to agree that attendance should be high -- while no-name opponents have caused huge swings in UND playoff attendance, NDSU fans have been waiting decades for a home playoff game and they attended much better for no-name D-I teams during NDSU's transition, so I don't expect NDSU fans to have the same "who's that?" apathy. The only real concern I would have would be the effect of Thanksgiving, but that should only be a real problem for students, I would expect the fair weather locals to more than offset that.

Looking into it a little more, hosting does all come down to the Benjamins, and by picking Fargo the NCAA revealed that they expect NDSU to show up well.

NDSU sneaks into FCS playoffs, hosts Robert Morris on Saturday

NDSU submitted a bid of $100,000 to the NCAA, which is $70,000 more than the required minimum. Taylor said the school needs to sell about 9,000 tickets to reach the NCAA bid. Host teams are not selected until the entire playoff field is set, O’Day said.

That's why NDSU should have no trouble hosting anytime they make the field -- they can guarantee 9,000 ticket sales with little risk of having to cover themselves, which isn't true of most schools in FCS.

IDK, I caught a bit of a replay of the "Marker Game" on Midco and there were A LOT of empty seats at the FFD, this was in the middle of the game when it was still in doubt. If the fans didn't show up for the big rivalry game with SDSU will they show up for a first round playoff game against a patsy in Robert Morris?

According to GoBison the official attendance of the SDSU game was 17037, I call BS on that one. Way to many blue seats for that given attendance.

I think given the long wait for a Bison playoff game the attendance will be pretty good, even if it is over Thanksgiving weekend. Heck, by then everyone will be sick of their family and will be looking for an excuse to get out of the house. The new Harry Potter movie might cause some softness in the attendance, however.

I'm inclined to agree that attendance should be high -- while no-name opponents have caused huge swings in UND playoff attendance, NDSU fans have been waiting decades for a home playoff game and they attended much better for no-name D-I teams during NDSU's transition, so I don't expect NDSU fans to have the same "who's that?" apathy. The only real concern I would have would be the effect of Thanksgiving, but that should only be a real problem for students, I would expect the fair weather locals to more than offset that.

Looking into it a little more, hosting does all come down to the Benjamins, and by picking Fargo the NCAA revealed that they expect NDSU to show up well.

NDSU sneaks into FCS playoffs, hosts Robert Morris on Saturday

That's why NDSU should have no trouble hosting anytime they make the field -- they can guarantee 9,000 ticket sales with little risk of having to cover themselves, which isn't true of most schools in FCS.

If UND were hosting Robert Morris this weekend in a hypothetical playoff game where we were the bubble team, would hate to think what the attendance would be. First off, there are always home hockey games Thanksgiving weekend - this time Notre Dame. (Spend money on a UND-Notre Dame game vs UND-Robert Morris). Secondly, RoMo isn't even that well thought of in football, never mind hockey or any other sport. Finally, the students would be gone - never mind that they wouldn't be enthused anyway. Probably 6-7000 tickets sold.

Count me on the side of pleased that NDSU gets a shot at the FCS title. I'm happy for them, and my friends that went there.

Side note - I am somewhat surprised that the financial requirements for hosting an FCS playoff game are not higher. When UND gets there, we should definitely be able to come up with competitive bids.

And I expect the Kleinsasserdome Fargodome to be packed this weekend. Fargo is a good football town.

It is going to take a while for me to get used to the FCS playoff system:

NDSU has a 7-4 record

1) The best win is against the ISU Blue - NOTE: The trees 6-5 actually had a losing record agains Div 1 teams (4 - 5) - they played two NAIA teams.

2) 1 FBS win against Kanas - new coach, new system, 3 - 8 overall record.

Poly has a 7-4 record

1) 3 wins against teams with winning record including Montana at home, McNeese St on road and Old Dominion on the road.

Its not like the MVFC was lights out in non conference play this year - and they got three teams in the playoffs..

MVFC FCS OoC - record

Wins - UND (trans) (61), E. Illinois (84), 2 x USD (trans) (53) , Central Conn (52), Sam Houston St (33), Morgan St (106), Bulter (108)

Loses - Murray St, (42) SF Austin (5), SE Missouri St. (17), Delaware (1)

So, the OoC highlights - Kansas (109 in Div 1 - NOTE: Minnesota was ranked 110) and Sam Houston St.

It is going to take a while for me to get used to the FCS playoff system:

NDSU has a 7-4 record

1) The best win is against the ISU Blue - NOTE: The trees 6-5 actually had a losing record agains Div 1 teams (4 - 5) - they played two NAIA teams.

2) 1 FBS win against Kanas - new coach, new system, 3 - 8 overall record.

Poly has a 7-4 record

1) 3 wins against teams with winning record including Montana at home, McNeese St on road and Old Dominion on the road.

Its not like the MVFC was lights out in non conference play this year - and they got three teams in the playoffs..

MVFC FCS OoC - record

Wins - UND (trans) (61), E. Illinois (84), 2 x USD (trans) (53) , Central Conn (52), Sam Houston St (33), Morgan St (106), Bulter (108)

Loses - Murray St, (42) SF Austin (5), SE Missouri St. (17), Delaware (1)

So, the OoC highlights - Kansas (109 in Div 1 - NOTE: Minnesota was ranked 110) and Sam Houston St.

One of Poly's win was a 6 pt W over DII Humboldt State, so they only have 6 DI wins. 6DI wins = no playoffs

also while ODU is 8-3 this is only their second year of football, so their schedule was a mixed bag.

They will definitely have 16 to 18,000 at the game. When you have to wait 20 years between playoff games they could be playing Valley City and people will show up.

Now that they can sell seats in the student sections, they may actually have more buts in seats.

By the way, I think a Valley City vs. Robbie Morris game would be very competitive.

So the FCS playoffs are expanded to 20 teams...NDSU hosts RoMo. Of the 20 teams to get in, if one were to rate/seed them, you probably have #17 vs. #20. Just as long as the participation banner gets hung cause the Fargodome has been pretty bare since it opened!

One of Poly's win was a 6 pt W over DII Humboldt State, so they only have 6 DI wins. 6DI wins = no playoffs

also while ODU is 8-3 this is only their second year of football, so their schedule was a mixed bag.

I understand the 7 win rule - but I find it curious that a non-scholly FCS win counts but a Div II scholarship school does not count. Plus, you would think that a conference that has three teams in a 20 team playoff format would have at least one win against a top 30 FCS program as a conference. And you have Poly sitting at home for some silly 7 win rule that most major FCS programs are just buying around. Do you really have solid/equitable playoff?

I understand the 7 win rule - but I find it curious that a non-scholly FCS win counts but a Div II scholarship school does not count. Plus, you would think that a conference that has three teams in a 20 team playoff format would have at least one win against a top 30 FCS program as a conference. And you have Poly sitting at home for some silly 7 win rule that most major FCS programs are just buying around. Do you really have solid/equitable playoff?

cal poly plays in the great west... sorry couldnt resist :)

• Upvote 1

cal poly plays in the great west... sorry couldnt resist :)

Eh -- it's true. That's why it was so critical for each of the ND's to get into a top-tier conference post transition. Long-term reputation counts, and being the 2nd or 3rd team in the Big Sky or MVFC counts for a lot more than being the top team (overall recordwise) in GWFC. It was a transitional scheduling arrangement for independents when NDSU helped found it, and still was when UND joined it. Of course, this year, that didn't actually come into play, because Cal Poly simply didn't even met the well-known minimum requirements (if their schedule wasn't such to maximize the opportunity to meet those requirements, that's also their own fault).

After the Bison's performance yesterday, I was surprised we made the playoffs. If Montana would have won yesterday, they might be in and NDSU out. Big Sky got 2 teams in and the MVFC 3, but it could have easily been reversed. Being in a good conference and strength of schedule is important when the selection committee meets. I believe we will be talking about UND in the playoffs in a couple of years.. FCS has alot of parity. The days of beating Augustana 50-0 are long gone..

After the Bison's performance yesterday, I was surprised we made the playoffs. If Montana would have won yesterday, they might be in and NDSU out. Big Sky got 2 teams in and the MVFC 3, but it could have easily been reversed. Being in a good conference and strength of schedule is important when the selection committee meets. I believe we will be talking about UND in the playoffs in a couple of years.. FCS has alot of parity. The days of beating Augustana 50-0 are long gone..

I agree in conference (Big Sky and MVFC) the Morningside games are gone.... but you still have PL and a large number of East Coast programs that are junk.

I agree in conference (Big Sky and MVFC) the Morningside games are gone.... but you still have PL and a large number of East Coast programs that are junk.

Up until this year Indiana State has been a doormat

and the Big Sky has Idaho State and Northern Colorado- who have both been bad for some time