SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches Show

PCM

Coach Lennon is on first to talk about football. That means Coach Blais won't be on until around 7:15 p.m.

Isn't it about time for Lola's to stop running its "welcome back from the summer" commercial? :glare:

7:15 p.m. (CT) Lennon is off. Blais is up next.

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches how. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed.

Live from Lola's Authentic Northern Italian Restaurant in beautiful downtown Grand Forks. Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman are the hosts with UND hockey coach Dean Blais.

Blais said Minnesota is a tough WCHA opponent to open with. TH jokes that they

Edited by PCM

Great job, PCM. Again, I appreciate the update and the time you put into "broadcasting" it for all of us.

I found humor in the comments about Murray being grumpy and Schneider's progression during practice.

I also enjoyed the comments about Fylling have All-American potential and Ziggy being a potential ace in the hole.

How annoyed do you suppose Vanek will be everytime he looks up and sees Prpich smiling at him while he does his subtle little stick work. Let's just hope MP can shut down the almighty TV.

Blais joked that the good thing was that they haven’t shown Minnesota anything. They don’t know what we’ll do on the power play and we don’t either, he laughed.

When you hear Blais make self-deprecating comments like this, you begin to think he could have had his tongue in his cheek regarding the Potulny comments that are getting so much mileage...

Very encouraging comments about Porter, Stafford, Genoway, Fylling.

I really wish I could be at these games because I'd like to focus on the Prpich/Vanek battle alone. That could be a fun one.

Thanks, PCM!!!!!!!!

As far as Brady Murray smiling I see the kid smiling all the time.  At the Ralph when I was waiting in line for tickets he and Jordan Parise were laughing with each other about Matt Greene driving that van around like a lunatic. :glare:

We had a perfect view of Brady when he assisted on ZP's first goal. He had the biggest smile you've ever seen. He is all business when it comes to hockey, he is really intense and has a lot of hussle. Reminds me of Jeff Panzer the way he is pestering the opposing team. FUN TO WATCH.

GO SIOUX.

Battle Royal in Upper Midwest

By MARK SCHEERER

Published: November 5, 2003

orth Dakota Coach Dean Blais compares it to Nebraska versus Oklahoma in football. Minnesota Coach Don Lucia says it is "probably a little bit like Duke and North Carolina in basketball."

It is the latest installment in one of the top rivalries in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association when Minnesota's Golden Gophers visit Grand Forks, N.D., this weekend for two games against the Fighting Sioux. North Dakota is ranked second in the U.S. College Hockey Online Division I men's poll.

Minnesota (2-4, 1-3 W.C.H.A), which is trying to become the first team to win three consecutive N.C.A.A. titles since Michigan in 1956, seemed to be positioned well with 17 players returning from the 20-man roster that defeated New Hampshire in the Frozen Four final in Buffalo last April. But two of its best defensemen have been injured on successive weekends: Keith Ballard against Minnesota-Duluth on the night the N.C.A.A. championship banner was raised at Mariucci Arena and Chris Harrington last Friday against Denver. Both players are expected to be out two to four weeks.

"We just have to get through that," Lucia said. "We are playing good teams; I think that's an issue. And we're making some mental mistakes. Our freshmen are being thrown in there."

"Our inexperienced guys are getting better, our goalies are improving, but it doesn't get any easier heading out to North Dakota," he said.

North Dakota (4-1, 0-0) is also using underclassmen, but more by design.

"The freshmen right now that are in here are impact players," Blais said.

One of them is Brady Murray, the son of Los Angeles Kings Coach Andy Murray. He is the center on a line with the high-scoring Brandon Bochenski and Zach Parise, a first-round draft choice of the Devils. Through five games, the line, nicknamed the Brady Bunch, has 10 goals and 14 assists.

Parise's brother, Jordan, a freshman goaltender, has victories over Boston College, Minnesota-Duluth and Yale.

Fueling the rivalry, Lucia broke a longstanding Minnesota tradition three years ago and went outside the state for a player, Grant Potulny, of Grand Forks. Potulny scored the game-winning goal in overtime when the Gophers won the title in 2002. He is now the team's captain. His brother, Ryan, followed him to Minnesota and is a freshman this season.

"It was probably our mistake that we didn't get Grant," Blais said. "It was probably Ryan's mistake that he didn't come here." Battle Royal in Upper Midwest

By MARK SCHEERER

Published: November 5, 2003

orth Dakota Coach Dean Blais compares it to Nebraska versus Oklahoma in football. Minnesota Coach Don Lucia says it is "probably a little bit like Duke and North Carolina in basketball."

It is the latest installment in one of the top rivalries in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association when Minnesota's Golden Gophers visit Grand Forks, N.D., this weekend for two games against the Fighting Sioux. North Dakota is ranked second in the U.S. College Hockey Online Division I men's poll.

Minnesota (2-4, 1-3 W.C.H.A), which is trying to become the first team to win three consecutive N.C.A.A. titles since Michigan in 1956, seemed to be positioned well with 17 players returning from the 20-man roster that defeated New Hampshire in the Frozen Four final in Buffalo last April. But two of its best defensemen have been injured on successive weekends: Keith Ballard against Minnesota-Duluth on the night the N.C.A.A. championship banner was raised at Mariucci Arena and Chris Harrington last Friday against Denver. Both players are expected to be out two to four weeks.

"We just have to get through that," Lucia said. "We are playing good teams; I think that's an issue. And we're making some mental mistakes. Our freshmen are being thrown in there."

"Our inexperienced guys are getting better, our goalies are improving, but it doesn't get any easier heading out to North Dakota," he said.

North Dakota (4-1, 0-0) is also using underclassmen, but more by design.

"The freshmen right now that are in here are impact players," Blais said.

One of them is Brady Murray, the son of Los Angeles Kings Coach Andy Murray. He is the center on a line with the high-scoring Brandon Bochenski and Zach Parise, a first-round draft choice of the Devils. Through five games, the line, nicknamed the Brady Bunch, has 10 goals and 14 assists.

Parise's brother, Jordan, a freshman goaltender, has victories over Boston College, Minnesota-Duluth and Yale.

Fueling the rivalry, Lucia broke a longstanding Minnesota tradition three years ago and went outside the state for a player, Grant Potulny, of Grand Forks. Potulny scored the game-winning goal in overtime when the Gophers won the title in 2002. He is now the team's captain. His brother, Ryan, followed him to Minnesota and is a freshman this season.

"It was probably our mistake that we didn't get Grant," Blais said. "It was probably Ryan's mistake that he didn't come here."

Here is the aritcle everyone is talking about some seem to think its bulletin board material but I don't really think so. Its a whole lot to do about nothing. Here is to a great weekend of UND Fighting Sioux Hockey...

Just thinking about the lines based on the info from the show.

First line: we know it

Second: Lundbohm, Stafford, Porter

Third: McMahon, Prpich, Hale/Canady

Fourth: Genoway, Massen, Fylling

It seems silly to label lines 2-4 with numbers, since they seem to be about a push in terms of ability and impact.

I'm not sure who should go with McMahon and Prpich. I could see Hale, Canady or Fylling there. Hale needs to be in the lineup somewhere, in case the defense needs help if Schneider can't go. Maybe Marvin will be in the lineup somewhere for this same reason. Anyone have any ideas?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get the Coach's Show on the Sioux Sport TV Channel, it is only used for games. Couldn't they patch in to 1440AM just for the Coach's Show?

yeah, we wouldn't need any video, just the audio from 1440. It does get old flipping through the channels and seeing that channel all the time.

Just thinking about the lines based on the info from the show.

It seems silly to label lines 2-4 with numbers, since they seem to be about a push in terms of ability and impact.

I'm not sure who should go with McMahon and Prpich. I could see Hale, Canady or Fylling there. Hale needs to be in the lineup somewhere, in case the defense needs help if Schneider can't go. Maybe Marvin will be in the lineup somewhere for this same reason. Anyone have any ideas?

I think/hope hale will be on defense. :glare: It's been a long time since i've seen this much balance in lines 2-4.

Assuming David Lundbohm plays (and I hear that he will), the first and second lines will probably be as you have them.

I think the third (anti-Vanek) line will be McMahon, Prpich and Fylling. The composition of the fourth line probably depends on whether Hale plays defense or offense. I think it could be Genoway, Hale and Canady.

If Lundbohm can't play Genoway would move up to the second line, which would further scramble the composition of the fourth line. The other wild card is whether or not Schneider plays.

Wow, with those line combos, that makes all four lines pretty well balanced. I think that Hale looks good back on the blueline, I say he stays there until we are all healed up with dmen. Does anyone know about Massen? What does he have, like 1 point on the year? I was expecting him to have a good year.