SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana Watch

star2city

Well, I guess its a bad thing than that Kelly, Faison and the rest of the UND athletic dept. can see beyond one time zone. If flying over a time zone is what makes an ndsu athlete too tired to complete their homework than I really don't know what to tell you. UND has been flying all over the country for the last few years and continues to put all kinds of kids on All-academic teams and has athletes winning academic scholorships after graduation. I really don't know the key to thier success about this time zone travel that is such a drag on Fargo athletes.

What you need to get into your head is that we really are excited about the Big Sky. I know you are trying to find any negative you can but in my mind the positives out weigh the negatives. You can take comments made by newspaper columns but we have yet to see anything from any school in the Big Sky who is disappointed by the admission of UND. Montana actually came out and talked about the positive of adding UND and since the rest of the Big Sky bows to Montana I'm sure they will tolerate it.

As far as who schooled who I guess it just depends on what side of the fence you are on. We don't really know how everything went down and some of us may not want to know the discussions that went on after UND signed with the Big Sky. ;)

I think it's great you got into a conference. There's aways positives and negatives with any conference. Most of you all think there's only positives. The biggest thing is you're in a conference with an autobid.

Nobody at NDSU and in Fargo will admit it but there is a lot of envy going on south of here. They would love to be in the Big Sky. They would of given everything to get in the Big Sky. They wanted the Big Sky badly. Unfortunely they were rejected by the Big Sky. UND is delighted to be in the Big Sky. It won't be long before NDSU will be trying to figure out a way to get into the Big Sky.

Get it into your heads NDSU has ZERO interest in moving to the BSC. We have bus trips for some of our games and when we have to charter fights they're short trips. Fans can drive to most of the away games which is a big plus. We play in our recruiting area which is positive for the recruits famiies. Our student athletes only have to deal with 1 time zone (usually) which is a big plus for not being tired and getting their school work done. Fullerton got schooled by Douple. Fullerton should have made UND/USD a package deal and he might have gotten them. UND and SUU announced early and that left USD with options. You all know what happened after that. You are now out on a island and get use to most of the BSC bitching about playing you without a true travel partner. By the way thanks for taking SUU off our hands! :D

2 years ago while we were traveling everywhere our women's basketball program had the 2nd highest GPA out of all DI institutions. That was a year where we went from Green Bay, WI to Flagstaff in 1 trip, and Vermont to Houston in another. Last year we were slightly down...still inside the top 10, oh my goodness we must be slipping. :lol: Either you have good student-athletes who are good students or you don't, whether your flying into different time zones it really doesn't matter. The fact that NDSU fans are worried about that says alot more about their student athletes that I had previously thought.

I believe many of our counterparts on here like to point out that our fan base will not be excited about who we are playing in the Big Sky. I beg to differ and here is why... Let's say the we have a game in Late October in early november at Alerus against Cal Poly- and that game is for position in the standings, and playoff possibilities---people are going to show up. Just like they would show up in the same scenario if we were playing the Nevada school of the Blind. It's the situation that will dictate interest. Plus, I am excited about Eastern Washington- I can't wait to visit the Spokane area and see our team on the Red Turf, plus their program now has been making the playoffs, as well as Weber St, and the Montana Schools.

For basketball - N. Arizona, Portland St, Montana, Montana St. & Weber St. have all had success in the last 10 years, plus you ad in a team like N. Colorado who finished 2nd in the conference last year, I am going to be into the team we are playing week in and week out. :) I'm going to have a blast following this conference...I just hope we can get good enough to compete.

2 years ago while we were traveling everywhere our women's basketball program had the 2nd highest GPA out of all DI institutions. That was a year where we went from Green Bay, WI to Flagstaff in 1 trip, and Vermont to Houston in another. Last year we were slightly down...still inside the top 10, oh my goodness we must be slipping. :lol: Either you have good student-athletes who are good students or you don't, whether your flying into different time zones it really doesn't matter. The fact that NDSU fans are worried about that says alot more about their student athletes that I had previously thought.

I believe many of our counterparts on here like to point out that our fan base will not be excited about who we are playing in the Big Sky. I beg to differ and here is why... Let's say the we have a game in Late October in early november at Alerus against Cal Poly- and that game is for position in the standings, and playoff possibilities---people are going to show up. Just like they would show up in the same scenario if we were playing the Nevada school of the Blind. It's the situation that will dictate interest. Plus, I am excited about Eastern Washington- I can't wait to visit the Spokane area and see our team on the Red Turf, plus their program now has been making the playoffs, as well as Weber St, and the Montana Schools.

For basketball - N. Arizona, Portland St, Montana, Montana St. & Weber St. have all had success in the last 10 years, plus you ad in a team like N. Colorado who finished 2nd in the conference last year, I am going to be into the team we are playing week in and week out. :) I'm going to have a blast following this conference...I just hope we can get good enough to compete.

Your post is dead on. Its not the teams its the situation. A GWFC title..a little exciting, no playoffs here comes Lamar....Snore. 2012- UNC for first place in the BSC...sellout. Idaho State-a win and we are in the playoffs...sellout. Its that simple. Its not the teams in the BSC that there is excitement its the autobid and a chance at a national title, and for basketball its March Madness this time we can participate!!

You had SIU last weekend and there were an awful lot of empty seats in the building. You sure thats one you want to commit to your list?

Hunting opener and high schools playoffs took a big toll on our attendance last week. Plus SIU has been uncharacteristically bad this year. But the question was who I look forward to watching NDSU play and unless the SIU program goes off a cliff they are definitely a game of interest.

I don't get the comments of NDSU's being envious of the Big Sky. We did want to go there at one point, but that was before the MVFC ever gave us a call and before we got to know some of the Summit schools. There is some really good basketball in the Summit. Oakland, ORU and IUPUI are top tier mid-major programs.

I'm glad you guys got into the Big Sky, it is a solid conference and gives your football team a home. We would have done the same thing if we were in your shoes.

Nobody at NDSU and in Fargo will admit it but there is a lot of envy going on south of here. They would love to be in the Big Sky. They would of given everything to get in the Big Sky. They wanted the Big Sky badly. Unfortunely they were rejected by the Big Sky. UND is delighted to be in the Big Sky. It won't be long before NDSU will be trying to figure out a way to get into the Big Sky.

I think you would get answers like this: Bison fans love the MVFC...love it. However, although they like the limited (in comparison to the BSC) travel in the Summit, they would rather have the institutional affiliations of the BSC. Not really all that different than many Sioux fans would see it I would guess.

Yeah.......................

But you were dead-set against the Mid-Con/Summit as well because it is a crap league that is a step below the NCC...........................

Just having fun with ya WYO.................................. ;)

But there is a big difference between the WAC and the MAC: The WAC is dying a slow and painful death.......................the MAC is actually probably stable for the most part.

Why don't we just call a spade a spade and refer to the Summit/MVFC as what it is...The NCC? I officially move the stated reference for the Summit/MVFC alignment on this site be the NCC. Makes it much easier to type, and represents where both UND and NDSU are today.

Moved on ;)

With all of the movement in D1 conferences these days, there is bound to be an opening or two in the Missouri Valley fro all sports in the next 3 to 7 years. I would rather wait and take a chance on getting in the Missouri Valley than go to the Big Sky.

Well you're going to be waiting a long time then. You do realize that there hasn't been a new addition to the MVC in 16 years? And that certain members of this same conference had to be given travel concessions just to get USD into the MVFC?

Plus, NDSU is now in a bad spot with USD nudging its way into the MVFC. Three is a real ugly number for expansion, especially in a conference as stable as the MVC. If the MVC ever did expand, there is no way it would bypass Vermillion and/or Brookings on its way to Fargo. What would really be bad news for NDSU is if the MVC expanded by two and took USD and SDSU. Maybe NDSU should be pushing hard to get St. Cloud into the Summit so they can maintain some semblance of the NCC/ bus league feel if the SD schools end up in the MVC? ;)

Let's face it. The main reason NDSU fans have any interest in SIU is that Dale Lennon is there. They need to get over this Sioux thing.

I think that increases the interest, but SIU has been a top contender in the MVFC......and that will always generate interest because of playoff implications if you beat them.

Hunting opener and high schools playoffs took a big toll on our attendance last week. Plus SIU has been uncharacteristically bad this year. But the question was who I look forward to watching NDSU play and unless the SIU program goes off a cliff they are definitely a game of interest.

Clearly stated and now understood. Good point.

We did want to go there at one point, but that was before the MVFC ever gave us a call and before we got to know some of the Summit schools. There is some really good basketball in the Summit. Oakland, ORU and IUPUI are top tier mid-major programs.

To summarize: we wanted to the Big Sky, but we like the Summit cause we're in that conference now? :lol:

• 4 months later...

University of Montana athletics study: Move to FBS would cost millions

The cost to move up a division in football remained a major question after the University of Montana decided in November not to join the Western Athletic Conference.

The answer is, according to the consulting firm UM hired to study such a move, around $4.7 million - for starters.

WAC Commissioner Karl Benson, UM athletic director Jim O'Day and UM President Royce Engstrom said Wednesday that discussions are not currently taking place.

"We are not having discussions," Engstrom said. "As far as I can see, there's no real story there. I won't say I haven't heard from (Benson), but we're not having any discussions."

Engstrom had sound reasoning for keeping the Grizzlies where they are: Many improvements need to be made for the Griz to stay ahead of the pack in the FCS.

Montana confirmed this week that it is planning to add softball to help bring the athletic department more in line with Title IX, a law that guarantees equal participation for women and men.

Montana's undergraduate population is 53 percent female, but UM's student athletes are just 44 percent women.

Softball will get UM partway there; the study suggests the most likely additions for women's sports are softball and swimming/diving. The WAC offers conference championships in 11 women's sports, including gymnastics.

Engstrom said Wednesday that adding softball wasn't a nod toward a move up to the WAC.

"It's really two completely separate issues," he said. "We are looking hard at our Title IX situation. It's pretty obvious we need to continue to add opportunities for female athletes."