SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana Watch

star2city

I would really rather stay in the Summit/MVFC combo. With all of the movement in D1 conferences these days, there is bound to be an opening or two in the Missouri Valley fro all sports in the next 3 to 7 years. I would rather wait and take a chance on getting in the Missouri Valley than go to the Big Sky.

I know Sioux fans are talking about how great it will be in the Big Sky, but really outside of the Montana schools, who will you be excited see to come to the Alerus or Betty to watch them play football or basketball? I would like to hear from Sioux fans which schools in the Big Sky have them so excited.

Not to start a pissing match here with SU posters because I do have great respect for that entire program, but I truly will love to see teams like Cal Poly come in to the Alerus on a consistent basis. Ever since the time arrogant ol' J.T. O' Sullivan strutted up here to the "sticks" er, I mean Grand Forks and got blown out of the building from the crowd noise, I've really enjoyed that team as a budding rival. Cal Davis is another quality team I will enjoy seeing come to town for football. Then there's our old NCC foe UNC, it will be good to rekindle that "friendship" on the gridiron. As far as the other sports, it's still to early to tell, (although, the Montanas and Weber States will be fun to play in men's b-ball) but I am sure as the years go by and we see more of these teams more often at the Betty, they too will become exciting foes to go and watch. I would imagine that in the early years of the Missouri Valley or the Summit there were a handful of teams that appeared less than enticing to the casual fan, but as years have gone by, those teams have become more recognizable, and some of those have created must-see match-ups when they come to the dome. I see the same happening in the BSC.

Not to start a pissing match here with SU posters because I do have great respect for that entire program, but I truly will love to see teams like Cal Poly come in to the Alerus on a consistent basis. Ever since the time arrogant ol' J.T. O' Sullivan strutted up here to the "sticks" er, I mean Grand Forks and got blown out of the building from the crowd noise, I've really enjoyed that team as a budding rival. Cal Davis is another quality team, I will enjoy seeing come to town for football. Then there's our old NCC foe UNC, it will be good to rekindle that "friendship" on the gridiron. As far as the other sports, it's still to early to tell, (although, the Montanas and Weber States will be fun to play in men's b-ball) but I am sure as the years go by and we see more of these teams more often at the Betty, they too will become exciting foes to go and watch. I would imagine that in the early years of the Missouri Valley or the Summit there were a handful of teams that appeared less than enticing to the casual fan, but as years have gone by, those teams have become more recognizable, and some of those have created must-see match-ups when they come to the dome. I see the same happening in the BSC.

Sorry about posting twice.... trying to up my post count! :D

Not to start a pissing match here with SU posters because I do have great respect for that entire program, but I truly will love to see teams like Cal Poly come in to the Alerus on a consistent basis. Ever since the time arrogant ol' J.T. O' Sullivan strutted up here to the "sticks" er, I mean Grand Forks and got blown out of the building from the crowd noise, I've really enjoyed that team as a budding rival. Cal Davis is another quality team I will enjoy seeing come to town for football. Then there's our old NCC foe UNC, it will be good to rekindle that "friendship" on the gridiron. As far as the other sports, it's still to early to tell, (although, the Montanas and Weber States will be fun to play in men's b-ball) but I am sure as the years go by and we see more of these teams more often at the Betty, they too will become exciting foes to go and watch. I would imagine that in the early years of the Missouri Valley or the Summit there were a handful of teams that appeared less than enticing to the casual fan, but as years have gone by, those teams have become more recognizable, and some of those have created must-see match-ups when they come to the dome. I see the same happening in the BSC.

I agree Weber State would be fun to watch in Mens basketball, but the Cal Poly's and Cal Davis's have been coming in on a regular basis in the Great West, and it hasn't exactly been an attendance boost.

Just to clarify, JT O'Sullivan, aka "mullet boy," played for Cal Davis.

Wow, great news! NDSU, make the right decision. You belong with UND and the montanas, not usd and sdsu and the others.

Personally, I like the Sky as long as the Montanas are in (a bit biased because I could see a bunch more games). But, from a travel cost perspective it would surely not make sense to switch.

I agree Weber State would be fun to watch in Mens basketball, but the Cal Poly's and Cal Davis's have been coming in on a regular basis in the Great West, and it hasn't exactly been an attendance boost.

Very true. But I think the keywords there are "in the Great West." There has not been much excitement at all for any team that has come into the the Alerus Center since we joined the Great West. Let's face it. The Great West was needed to help scheduling and to help those teams like UND who are in transition. It does and has done nothing to get fans excited (the product on the field hasn't helped matters any either). If Mussman can get the team competing at a consistent quality level to the point where fans can get excited about the team again and once we get to the point where we are FCS playoff eligible, then I see the Alerus attendance trending upward again regardless of who the opponent is. A lot of "ifs" there, I know.

I guess the bottom line I am trying to say is that playing in a transitional conference and the dismal product on the field have coupled to effectively kill attendance far more than the teams we are playing or not playing.

I would really rather stay in the Summit/MVFC combo. With all of the movement in D1 conferences these days, there is bound to be an opening or two in the Missouri Valley fro all sports in the next 3 to 7 years. I would rather wait and take a chance on getting in the Missouri Valley than go to the Big Sky.

Not to douse your Missouri Valley hopes, but that conference seems to be one of the most stable in the nation. They have had the same 10 members for over 15 years. Evansville was the last to join in 1994. I don't see any movement there. Besides, like UND, NDSU isn't really in the footprint of some of these conferences.

I know Sioux fans are talking about how great it will be in the Big Sky, but really outside of the Montana schools, who will you be excited see to come to the Alerus or Betty to watch them play football or basketball? I would like to hear from Sioux fans which schools in the Big Sky have them so excited.

Obviously, the Montana schools are going to "the" games to see, but Poly and Davis are going to be games to look forward to.

SUU was to appease the travel cost wing of the Big Sky.

UND was to appease the conference presidents that wanted a research university with nationally known professional schools.

And USD ... well, I've posted my thoughts on that already: the MVFC flinched, just like Fullerton expected.

And NDSU ... well, maybe we'll help little brother get in the BSC someday. But that day won't come for a while because of their buyouts with Summit and MVFC if they go before 2015.

And I foresee a "MAC-like" FBS conference in the west in the future when the research-wing of the BSC is all ready to jump.

• Upvote 1

And I foresee a "MAC-like" FBS conference in the west in the future when the research-wing of the BSC is all ready to jump.

I have argued with people about this on Bisonville also......who on earth would want to be in either the MAC or the WAC? I would not at all support a jump to either of those.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Before answering your question, I'll ask you one: Outside of SDSU, UNI, and Oral Roberts, who do Bison fans get excited to see come to the Fargodome or Bison Sports arena?

Now on to your question, and this comes from my own personal interests:

For football I'll personally look forward to especially playing Montana, Montana St., Idaho St., Weber St., Cal Poly, and UC Davis. The first three have all won DI national championships, and the latter three are all large, well known, competetive schools, and UC Davis and Cal Poly have some of the highest academic standards.

And then there is Northern Colorado, a storied DII program, which despite struggling since moving up, we have a pretty spirited history and familiarity with.

For basketball, I'm giddy about Weber St. and Montana, and look forward to MSU, ISU, NAU, and PSU as well.

Had the Big Sky never came calling, I would have been ecstatic to accept the impending Summit invite, even though it would have screwed the football program. Now, our football program is in an ideal situation. And I must say that looking at NDSU's basketball schedule this season, it appears that highlight of your non-conference schedule (other than North Dakota) appears to be UC Davis. In all likelyhood, our future basketball nonconference schedules will include some combination of South Dakota, NDSU, South Dakota St., or Northern Iowa. That's in addition to Weber and the Montana schools..........................................

I like the Big Sky..........................so much more than the alternative (Summit).

I have argued with people about this on Bisonville also......who on earth would want to be in either the MAC or the WAC? I would not at all support a jump to either of those.

Yeah.......................

But you were dead-set against the Mid-Con/Summit as well because it is a crap league that is a step below the NCC...........................

Just having fun with ya WYO.................................. ;)

But there is a big difference between the WAC and the MAC: The WAC is dying a slow and painful death.......................the MAC is actually probably stable for the most part.

Before answering your question, I'll ask you one: Outside of SDSU, UNI, and Oral Roberts, who do Bison fans get excited to see come to the Fargodome or Bison Sports arena?

Besides the teams you mentioned...Oakland(probably more than ORU) and IUPUI for the Summit. SIU and YSU in the MVFC.

Get it into your heads NDSU has ZERO interest in moving to the BSC. We have bus trips for some of our games and when we have to charter fights they're short trips. Fans can drive to most of the away games which is a big plus. We play in our recruiting area which is positive for the recruits famiies. Our student athletes only have to deal with 1 time zone (usually) which is a big plus for not being tired and getting their school work done. Fullerton got schooled by Douple. Fullerton should have made UND/USD a package deal and he might have gotten them. UND and SUU announced early and that left USD with options. You all know what happened after that. You are now out on a island and get use to most of the BSC bitching about playing you without a true travel partner. By the way thanks for taking SUU off our hands! :D

• Downvote 1

Get it into your heads NDSU has ZERO interest in moving to the BSC. We have bus trips for some of our games and when we have to charter fights they're short trips. Fans can drive to most of the away games which is a big plus. We play in our recruiting area which is positive for the recruits famiies. Our student athletes only have to deal with 1 time zone (usually) which is a big plus for not being tired and getting their school work done. Fullerton got schooled by Douple. Fullerton should have made UND/USD a package deal and he might have gotten them. UND and SUU announced early and that left USD with options. You all know what happened after that. You are now out on a island and get use to most of the BSC bitching about playing you without a true travel partner. By the way thanks for taking SUU off our hands! :D

Ahhh, island living. The warm balmy breezes, the sun, the pina coladas, the big beautiful sky.... Big Sky. :D:D

Douple was saved by Patty V. Douple can't find his butt with both hands. How could Fullerton make USD/UND a package when USD was already committed to the Summit? I'm thankful that they weren't packaged. UND may truly have been on an island, an independent island.

Get it into your heads NDSU has ZERO interest in moving to the BSC.

And we thank you. :)

We have bus trips for some of our games ...

NDSU has always wanted into the BTC. Well, congrats, you're in the Bus Trip Conference.

... most of the BSC bitching about playing you ...

Seems Montana, the big dog of the pack, is happy we're in the Big Sky.

Do you mean YOU have no interest, or are you a PR spokesperson for NDSU?

Do you mean YOU have no interest, or are you a PR spokesperson for NDSU?

I would like to hear from either NDSU's president, Gene Taylor, or some head coaches and get their opinion on the Big Sky. If they would be for it. I think we know where the fans sit.

Well, I guess its a bad thing than that Kelly, Faison and the rest of the UND athletic dept. can see beyond one time zone. If flying over a time zone is what makes an ndsu athlete too tired to complete their homework than I really don't know what to tell you. UND has been flying all over the country for the last few years and continues to put all kinds of kids on All-academic teams and has athletes winning academic scholorships after graduation. I really don't know the key to thier success about this time zone travel that is such a drag on Fargo athletes.

What you need to get into your head is that we really are excited about the Big Sky. I know you are trying to find any negative you can but in my mind the positives out weigh the negatives. You can take comments made by newspaper columns but we have yet to see anything from any school in the Big Sky who is disappointed by the admission of UND. Montana actually came out and talked about the positive of adding UND and since the rest of the Big Sky bows to Montana I'm sure they will tolerate it.

As far as who schooled who I guess it just depends on what side of the fence you are on. We don't really know how everything went down and some of us may not want to know the discussions that went on after UND signed with the Big Sky. ;)

• Upvote 1

I would like to hear from either NDSU's president, Gene Taylor, or some head coaches and get their opinion on the Big Sky. If they would be for it. I think we know where the fans sit.

I know it seems like NDSU fans are against it...but are we letting a few messageboard types speak for the entire fanbase? I'd like to see an official poll taken about this. You would think a lot of Bison fans would want to resume the rivalry, and move to the Big Sky, but who knows.