SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Sounds like Quincy Vaughn assured Emery that the athletes aren’t bigots and racists. That’s always good to know. Hockey and character, all that matters here!

Good thing he didn't cave into the whole "hurr durr UND bad and racist" narrative that twitter likes to push for some reason

39 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Sounds like Quincy Vaughn assured Emery that the athletes aren’t bigots and racists. That’s always good to know. Hockey and character, all that matters here!

Would hope we all would judge people on the content of their character and nothing else.  Oh, and they need to be a good hockey player too!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

THAT'S what you took out of him committing? Goodness.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, AJS said:

Huge commitment. For multiple reasons. Most importantly from a talent standpoint, potential Top 2 round pick in next years draft. Winning a recruiting battle with two BIG Ten teams, for an NTDP guy, right before the "new" recruiting season kicks off. This one feels very important. Is this the start of a wave that we've seen at MN, BU, MI, BC the last couple years? We'll see.

I'm with the group where this wouldn't change the Hensler conversation. Like @siouxforce19 said, you make room. Two things would happen, first, mid-season everything would be reevaluated. There is precedent set that says if need be, they'll bring in 9 D (Sanderson's FR year). If the Coaching staff thinks a player is valuable and needs to come in, they'll come in. The other direction, which is harsher is someone might get the conversation that they can still come in, but their $ might be minimal, PT will be hard to come by. That would be either a current recruit (1 really sticks out) or 2, at the end of the season, with a current player. 

Right now, you have the big $ locks for next years defensive class being Strathmann and Emery. McInnis being wait and see (injury plagued first year) but could take off. Jubenvil being low $ but maxed out of Junior years. Ausmus going to the BCHL would seem to be a guy who would be playing another year of Juniors past this next year.

You took the words right out of my mouth. winning a recruiting battle with big 10 for a guy at the NTDP is monstrous. Loving this one

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

That it appears that all you took out of a story about a big-time hockey recruit was the racial aspect. Or, at least it was the thing you wanted to most talk about. 

Did you even read the article? Brad is the one that brought race into the discussion. Stop being such a snowflake. Break barriers, don’t make them. You just like to stir the pot from the looks of things.

• Downvote 4

Swanson made the final roster for the Hlinka cup, but Pilgrim did not:

https://www.therinklive.com/junior-and-prospects/usa-hockey-announces-u-18-mens-select-team-roster-for-the-hlinka-gretzky-cup

Also another article on Swanson on Rink Live, talks about him building strength this offseason and playing center more next season:

https://www.therinklive.com/junior-and-prospects/ushl/fargos-mac-swanson-ready-for-more-in-year-two-determined-to-make-team-usa-first

“Building my strength has been my biggest focus this summer,” he said. “Our strength trainer in Fargo does a great job putting workout plans together and I’ve spent a lot of time in the weight room. I know it’s cliche but getting stronger is the big thing and I've really tried to do that heading into next season.

Duplicating his rookie season production won’t be easy but Swanson is excited to prove himself even more in year two. He said he’s focused this summer on improving his play defensively and plans on potentially playing center this season too — which he played his entire life before moving to the wing last season.

16 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Swanson made the final roster for the Hlinka cup, but Pilgrim did not:

https://www.therinklive.com/junior-and-prospects/usa-hockey-announces-u-18-mens-select-team-roster-for-the-hlinka-gretzky-cup

Also another article on Swanson on Rink Live, talks about him building strength this offseason and playing center more next season:

https://www.therinklive.com/junior-and-prospects/ushl/fargos-mac-swanson-ready-for-more-in-year-two-determined-to-make-team-usa-first

Pilgrim didn’t finish the camp so makes sense. In case anyone missed the incredibly sad news, his stepfather died suddenly in his sleep over the weekend. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/prep/warroad-coach-michael-tveit-remembered-for-passion-love-for-hockey-family

6 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Did you even read the article? Brad is the one that brought race into the discussion. Stop being such a snowflake. Break barriers, don’t make them. You just like to stir the pot from the looks of things.

Hahaha ok. It was absolutely a part of the story. Interesting sidebar. Stir the pot? Na, I want to talk about how good he is. You made the point about his race your primary point of discussion and I thought that was incredibly odd. I'm pumped about his talent and the note about his race is wholly irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Race is part of the story, and it's great for UND that he could talk to a fellow athlete for reassurance that he has no reason to worry about being uncomfortable in Grand Forks. Seth Jones decided he wanted to live in Portland instead, would a talk like this have tilted him in UND's direction?

Let whoever take it however, we're just observers on the internet.

Good call out, man. Well said. Was just silly to me that that's what stood out. All good. 

7 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Pilgrim didn’t finish the camp so makes sense. In case anyone missed the incredibly sad news, his stepfather died suddenly in his sleep over the weekend. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/prep/warroad-coach-michael-tveit-remembered-for-passion-love-for-hockey-family

I saw the report; I didn't realize the connection. 

Condolences to young Mr. Pilgrim and the family. 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2023 at 1:03 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

Hahaha ok. It was absolutely a part of the story. Interesting sidebar. Stir the pot? Na, I want to talk about how good he is. You made the point about his race your primary point of discussion and I thought that was incredibly odd. I'm pumped about his talent and the note about his race is wholly irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. 

Then talk about how good he is. Come after me when I’m not the one writing an article about it. Odd.

Emery lists "Compton, CA" as a home town, but grew up in Surrey, BC.

Bringing in QV, also Canadian, was a strong play by Bubs: 
"Don't believe me, talk to this guy who's living it the last few years. I'll be down the hall when you guys are ready to go to lunch."

2 hours ago, SpudsSioux said:

I think the part that made it relevant was that it was a genuine concern of EJ's and Berry either sensed that or EJ told him that. Sounds like Berry told some of the guys that they had a good chance of landing him, but he was going to invite Quincy to come on the visit with him because he though it would help and clearly it did. EJ left the visit feeling really good about how he would fit in on campus and in the community.

So to us it maybe doesn't feel like a big deal or relevant, but if Berry felt it was and was able to put together a visit experience that put this kid at ease and landed us a huge recruit from the NTDP right before the new recruiting cycle begins, I give kudos to Berry for for having a pulse on that and winning this battle.

Ultimately, it's what the prospect thinks and is concerned about, not what we think.

2 hours ago, SpudsSioux said:

I think the part that made it relevant was that it was a genuine concern of EJ's and Berry either sensed that or EJ told him that. Sounds like Berry told some of the guys that they had a good chance of landing him, but he was going to invite Quincy to come on the visit with him because he though it would help and clearly it did. EJ left the visit feeling really good about how he would fit in on campus and in the community.

So to us it maybe doesn't feel like a big deal or relevant, but if Berry felt it was and was able to put together a visit experience that put this kid at ease and landed us a huge recruit from the NTDP right before the new recruiting cycle begins, I give kudos to Berry for for having a pulse on that and winning this battle.

Spot on. Bubs nailed it.