SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Idaho

GeauxSioux

2012 would be the first year that they can qualify.

Two more years of no postseason....argh......I miss the NCC.....

I saw someone mention that Miller's Redshirt was lifted.....don't understand that one. You would think you would want him to have three years left of eligibility when the sioux can make the postseason.

At least the sioux men's basketball team plays the Bison this season.....although I can't name more than four players on our team.....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, the UND football team won't be eligible for the post season until 2012. Everything from now until then is a series of building blocks. In other words, if these next few years aren't successful on the field, it will make it that much harder to qualify for the playoffs in 2012.

What I'm saying is, that if you have a kid who can perform now and help the team (Miller), you play him. His contributions will make the team better, which could lead to more wins, which could make the program stronger, and more attractive to potential recruits who will come in and play in 2012 and beyond, when we are playoff eligible.

The same thing goes for "fans". I put that in quotations, because, if you are a true fan, you attend these games in the non playoff eligible years. If you turn a deaf ear to the program until the "games mean something", you are hurting this program. The games mean something THIS YEAR. I'm sick of hearing about the old NCC, that was great back in the day, and I grew up watching that league. Times have changed, NCC and Division II football are small time. FCS isn't the big time, but it is a hell of a lot better than playing Dickinson State, Crookston, Mankato and Duluth.

If fan apathy continues this year, it will only set the program back in 2012 and beyond.

In summary: Go to the damn games this year, to help the program. (hey, you might even have some fun)

Sure, the UND football team won't be eligible for the post season until 2012. Everything from now until then is a series of building blocks. In other words, if these next few years aren't successful on the field, it will make it that much harder to qualify for the playoffs in 2012.

What I'm saying is, that if you have a kid who can perform now and help the team (Miller), you play him. His contributions will make the team better, which could lead to more wins, which could make the program stronger, and more attractive to potential recruits who will come in and play in 2012 and beyond, when we are playoff eligible.

The same thing goes for "fans". I put that in quotations, because, if you are a true fan, you attend these games in the non playoff eligible years. If you turn a deaf ear to the program until the "games mean something", you are hurting this program. The games mean something THIS YEAR. I'm sick of hearing about the old NCC, that was great back in the day, and I grew up watching that league. Times have changed, NCC and Division II football are small time. FCS isn't the big time, but it is a hell of a lot better than playing Dickinson State, Crookston, Mankato and Duluth.

If fan apathy continues this year, it will only set the program back in 2012 and beyond.

In summary: Go to the damn games this year, to help the program. (hey, you might even have some fun)

Well said.

That was Really well said. We have to try be as good as we can be right now to keep growing our recruiting. Players want to go to go where they can be successful as a team.

That was really well said. You are definitely right that players want to go where they can be successful. Players also want to go play where they feel the atmosphere is going to be electric, heck we have an example of that right here with UND hockey. If our fans go games and even more so, our students go to football, basketball etc.. they add to the atmosphere. And young kids love to play in a cool atmosphere, plus they like to play in front of their fellow students. Its a must that we keep going to games and having fun and making it a great place to play- it will pay off down the road when we are elgible. .

Two more years of no postseason....argh......I miss the NCC.....

I saw someone mention that Miller's Redshirt was lifted.....don't understand that one. You would think you would want him to have three years left of eligibility when the sioux can make the postseason.

At least the sioux men's basketball team plays the Bison this season.....although I can't name more than four players on our team.....

While the NCC was fun and great during our time in the conference, the UND football program has outgrown it. I would much rather play this year's schedule than the normal NCC schedule (minus ndsu). Much more exciting and challenging opponents on the schedule. Your point about not having ndsu on the schedule is legit and I and most others on here would agree with that.

If you dont know names of anyone on the rosters, then you could do some research and maybe even open up a website or game program to find out the info. Or dare I say, even attend a game? :ohmy: It's not hard to figure out nowadays in the Internet age. There is more info about Sioux Football out there now than ever before.

Regarding redshirts: You redshirt all and any that you possibly can UNLESS they can immediately help you. UND has been pretty good about that in the past. Miller and McGill help the team out immediately at the position with the biggest questions marks going into the season - WR. I am glad we have the luxury of only taking off 2 redshirts this year, compared to ndsu's 8, especially considering how much further along they are in FCS. Our coaching staff apparently thinks that we either NEED to pull the redshirts based on depth concerns, or the staff believes that McGill and Miller are just flat-out too good to not have on the field this fall. Either way, it was a necessity in their minds.

I too cannot wait until 2012 when we are playoff eligible. It will be a great season to look forward to. Now would be the time to start "learning" the new UND football program and team. ndsu will be on the schedule in football soon as well. You can be as big of a UND Football fan as you want to be in Division 1.

All of this of course, is just my opinion. :silly:

At Division I, a player generally can not redshirt and then have a medical redshirt year if he is hurt later in his career. At the DII. a player had six years to complete eligibility, but at DI only 5 years. Redshirting gives a player another year to mature, but can effectively reduce his playing time anyway. As vulnerable as a RB or WR is to injury, red-shirting can actually reduce the time a player can contribute.

At Division I, a player generally can not redshirt and then have a medical redshirt year if he is hurt later in his career. At the DII. a player had six years to complete eligibility, but at DI only 5 years. Redshirting gives a player another year to mature, but can effectively reduce his playing time anyway. As vulnerable as a RB or WR is to injury, red-shirting can actually reduce the time a player can contribute.

Very good point. Didn't know the rule on that one. If thats the case it makes more sense if he will contribute right away to pull the shirt. He's a good athlete, lets hope he doesn't need the medical redshirt at any time.

Here is a question. Has the average attendance at the Alerus gone up or down since the transition? I would assume that with better opponents it has gone up? Anyone know?

Here is a question. Has the average attendance at the Alerus gone up or down since the transition? I would assume that with better opponents it has gone up? Anyone know?

Last year, avg attendance went down to 8500 due to three poorly attended games (USF, early evening Halloween vs Cal Poly, and Southern Oregon) and the loss to Sioux Falls:. In 2008, attendance actually set a record.

Last year, avg attendance went down to 8500 due to three poorly attended games (USF, early evening Halloween vs Cal Poly, and Southern Oregon) and the loss to Sioux Falls:. In 2008, attendance actually set a record.

I watched the Sioux Falls game on TV last year, and the attendance was horrible (maybe they shouldn't show games so lazy fans like myself actually go to them). As a student I didn't miss a single home game, even the ones on TV, and the Alerus was always packed....

I know that the Sioux play Montana at home in a couple of years. I know for that one that if Sioux fans don't fill the Alerus center, that the Montana fans sure will....

I watched the Sioux Falls game on TV last year, and the attendance was horrible (maybe they shouldn't show games so lazy fans like myself actually go to them). As a student I didn't miss a single home game, even the ones on TV, and the Alerus was always packed....

I know that the Sioux play Montana at home in a couple of years. I know for that one that if Sioux fans don't fill the Alerus center, that the Montana fans sure will....

With only 1 D2 team on the schedule I would imagine the attendance would be up, and that D2 game is the Potato Bowl and home opener. Should be a good year at the AC

It should also help the program that the athletic department is promoting the football team about a month before the season starts and not waiting until the week of the first home game. That kind of neglect went on for years and I think it was part of the reason Dale Lennon isn't around anymore. We'll have to keep it up to get attendance to FCS levels. Everyone used to whine and complain that they didn't go to games because "I don't like the teams we are playing". Now that we are an FCS team, we'll get better teams on the schedule and that excuse won't hold water. I also think we need more 7pm games before hockey starts. We did that in the first year in the Alerus Center and it worked out really well. I am not a big fan of these 4pm starts; have them at 7pm when hockey is out of town and then 1pm when hockey is in town. Marketing our "triple header" weekends (Hockey Friday night-Football Saturday afternoon-Hockey Saturday night) as one big event would also help. Once we get into a conference and are playoff eligible, I think our goals of solid and consistent football attendance will be more attainable. But we have to build the foundation now or else we will never get there. And that means people have to get their butts out to the Alerus Center this season whenever possible; not keep coming up with excuses why they can't or don't want to.

The 4pm starts are apparently a way to help boost attendance. I don't know that the start times are the solution. It didn't seem to matter much in '01 or '03. But we all know why the attendance was up back then...new stadium, dominance on the field, familiar opponents, etc. Another thing they are doing to help attendance is having a Ralph type of atmosphere to kick off the game. The lights will go out before pre-game and they'll show 2 new videos with highlights of previous seasons and success as well as slipping in those notorious quotes from famous people. I personally don't like it because the football team will run onto the field to the music of Nickelback instead of our school song. That's not division 1. I can't say that I've been to a lot of FBS or even FCS games, but I really doubt that when Alabama or USC or Ohio State take the field, they are doing so to canned music. It was quite depressing watching it all go down during rehearsal on Wednesday.

Sadly, I was at that game - it was one of the worst losses in modern Sioux memory. The wind seemed to go out of the sails of Sioux fans after this game and interest in home games dropped significantly. I think 3 things need to happen to improve attendance

1. Put out a better product - this seems to be happening. After the Sioux Falls debacle, the Sioux looked much more organized and focused. I think this should continue into this year.

2. Get a better schedule - This seems to be happening also, but until we have a confernce, something to play for, and some natural rivals on our schedule it will always be hard to get everyone fired up to play teams even if they are DI like Lamar and Southern Utah. No rivalries here.

3. Get the Alerus to become much more user friendly. This has been discussed on another thread. The attitude at the Alerus seems to be to try to suck all of the fun out of tailgating and the game. The University needs to have a serious talk with the Alerus about how they do business.

Being picked last in the GWC is not where we wanted the program at this time. This would be a good year for a breakout season from the Football TEam.

I personally don't like it because the football team will run onto the field to the music of Nickelback instead of our school song. That's not division 1. I can't say that I've been to a lot of FBS or even FCS games, but I really doubt that when Alabama or USC or Ohio State take the field, they are doing so to canned music. It was quite depressing watching it all go down during rehearsal on Wednesday.

Nickelback? Which song? Im a little nervous about that one.

I believe many FBS teams come out to music other than their school songs. Virginia Tech has one of the most impressive and intimidating entrance songs. Apparently "Enter Sandman" comes on and the stadium literally begins to start shaking. Opponents comment on that all the time and say how impressive it is when they go to Blacksburg. With the right song and presentation, it can be very intimidating.

It isn't a big deal i the f entrance song isn't the school song. The most important thing is that it helps set a mood, Hitting the lights will be cool to. I have to give them props for trying to spice it up. It should be very exciting. I can't wait. Didn't they use some fireworks last year too? Is that going to be included this year?

I agree about the entrance, not sure about Nickleback but if it's done right it can be very intimidating. Here is the VT intro...

EDIT: I actually went to youtube and did a search for college football entrance songs. Most of the FBSschools do have some kind of a video and song intro. Most of them break into the school song immediately after. Watching all those videos has got me pumped for football season to start! Can't wait for the Sioux home opener!!!

Edited by dmksioux

I agree about the entrance, not sure about Nickleback but if it's done right it can be very intimidating. Here is the VT intro...

EDIT: I actually went to youtube and did a search for college football entrance songs. Most of the FBSschools do have some kind of a video and song intro. Most of them break into the school song immediately after. Watching all those videos has got me pumped for football season to start! Can't wait for the Sioux home opener!!!

I am pumped too. UND should do either that, Welcome to the Jungle or even Thunderstruck. Which Nickelback song are they coming out too. Just remember at Memorial Stadium it used to be too cold to have a band out there period. So I don't mind the entrance song being something to get the place rocking...and I hope Northeastern St. will be shaking from the noise and from the hits we will put on them. I am getting tickets for this one.

I am pumped too. UND should do either that, Welcome to the Jungle or even Thunderstruck. Which Nickelback song are they coming out too. Just remember at Memorial Stadium it used to be too cold to have a band out there period. So I don't mind the entrance song being something to get the place rocking...and I hope Northeastern St. will be shaking from the noise and from the hits we will put on them. I am getting tickets for this one.

A good song, but definitely don't want to do this one as I believe it is used by a certain school 70 miles to south of Grand Forks...

That gave me goosebumps. If ours is anything like that, it will be awesome!

I also wonder though, what Nickleback song???

If that doesnt give you goosebumps, then get to the emergency room immediately because you have no pulse. :D

A good song, but definitely don't want to do this one as I believe it is used by a certain school 70 miles to south of Grand Forks...

I know but I try to think of Thunder the Bleacher Creature when i hear it....not Thundar the Bison mascot. (My wife who is a NDSU fan says the opposite).

If it is a Nickelback song they are coming out to, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Burn it To the Ground. Although the lyrics aren't the greatest for a family atmosphere, it is one of their more uptempo songs. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I'm not a Nickelback fan whatsoever, so I couldn't even begin to tell you what song it is. A person standing next to me during the rehearsal told me it was Nickelback, so I'm taking their word for it. And apparently I'm wrong about big schools coming out to something other than the school song. Maybe I'm just used to how it's been. Either way, I don't like it. But if it gets the crowd into it and makes the Alerus Center a harder and more intimidating place to play, then I might just have to get used to it. I think the fact that the athletic department has all but taken the marching band out of the equation it what has really pissed me off.