SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practice

jnmb422

Are you guys having practices or what? Not much info in this thread about it. 1 article posted from the Herald, which I couldn't read, about a no huddle offense and that's it. I may not be a Sioux football fan but I still like to see what sort of team you guys are fielding this year. College hockey is over and you're not playing the Bison this year, so let's see some updates. Thanks.

The team will be better. Young but better all around. Changing both offensive and defensive philosophy a little bit.

Next years team is going to be young but we have some very, very good young players who are getting better this spring. Overall things are going good but its still only spring so I don't think most on here are going to pound our chest about how good this team is going to be or how good individuals are going to be.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The receiver situation will be very interesting to watch. If Bamba doesn't make it back, we could possibly see the top three receivers being a couple of red-shirt freshmen (Hardin and Townsend), and a true freshman (McGill). That's not to say that the upperclassmen should be written off, but they will need to improve significantly from last season in order to stay ahead of the young players IMO.

The receiver situation will be very interesting to watch. If Bamba doesn't make it back, we could possibly see the top three receivers being a couple of red-shirt freshmen (Hardin and Townsend), and a true freshman (McGill). That's not to say that the upperclassmen should be written off, but they will need to improve significantly from last season in order to stay ahead of the young players IMO.

Very true. I'd like to see Bamba back cause I think he will have some very good weapons across the field. We where really lacking that this past year.

He just has to get a little bit of his attitude in check though. Its a team game and I'm glad Muss is giving him some time to realize that.

I'm curious about Roach, who was a walkon but appeared as the scout player of the week a few times. Anyone hear anything more about this kid?

Does the depth and talent at running back, especially if Murray gets reinstated, allow for a player from that group to see some time at receiver? Or does Binns (allegedly) leaving eliminate that as a possibility?

Does the depth and talent at running back, especially if Murray gets reinstated, allow for a player from that group to see some time at receiver? Or does Binns (allegedly) leaving eliminate that as a possibility?

I believe Jarrel Davis will get a look at receiver. Of course, that would be short-term answer since he's going to be a senior. With regard to RB, if another back is needed due to Binns' alleged departure, and the injury to Magstadt, I could see Breon Butler possibly playing right away.

The spring roster is now available on the UND website. Unfortunately, it is not updated with current weights. It would have been nice to see how much our undersized OL has added. Supposedly 10-15 pounds per player but it would be nice the see the numbers.

Binns, as expected, is not on the roster. It appears the only other major loss is Matt Field, the OL from Brookings. Jay Jelinek, the RB from Park River, is also not on the roster.

Whether it is a major loss or not, we will never know but the "mystery man", WR Roach, is no longer on the roster!

The spring roster is now available on the UND website. Unfortunately, it is not updated with current weights. It would have been nice to see how much our undersized OL has added. Supposedly 10-15 pounds per player but it would be nice the see the numbers.

Binns, as expected, is not on the roster. It appears the only other major loss is Matt Field, the OL from Brookings. Jay Jelinek, the RB from Park River, is also not on the roster.

Whether it is a major loss or not, we will never know but the "mystery man", WR Roach, is no longer on the roster!

I see there's also a new depth chart. I don't take these too seriously since they're notoriously inaccurate, but...if Ryan Dressler gets the nod as punt returner over Mersereau, it's ridiculous.

Could not find the spring roster. Any help to locate?

It was interesting to watch Binns on the sideline last year; almost always standing alone, seldom talking with other players. Obviously, "bonding" didn't go too well. Weren't there about 16 announced scholarship signees in 2009? (Or maybe that was before the Florida DB's signed.) Are we nearing a 25% attrition rate for that class already?

It was interesting to watch Binns on the sideline last year; almost always standing alone, seldom talking with other players. Obviously, "bonding" didn't go too well. Weren't there about 16 announced scholarship signees in 2009? (Or maybe that was before the Florida DB's signed.) Are we nearing a 25% attrition rate for that class already?

We signed 20 high school recruits in 2009, including the two late signees in Hall and Mackey, and have lost four--Overstreet (what ever happened to him? :silly:), Binns, Field and Jelinek.

We signed 20 high school recruits in 2009, including the two late signees in Hall and Mackey, and have lost four--Overstreet (what ever happened to him? :silly:), Binns, Field and Jelinek.

Overstreet decided to play baseball once the summer came around. He is attending Johnson County CC in Kansas.

Don't know about Field but I had heard good things.

Josh Murray is listed as a senior on the spring roster, but hasn't he used up only two years of eligibility? Or did he redshirt and thus have only one year left in that you only have 5 yrs. to complete 4 years of eligibility?

I believe he played as a true freshman, so I would have assumed that he could have used his redshirt last season, preserving his 4 years of eligibility................maybe not? :glare:

I believe he played as a true freshman, so I would have assumed that he could have used his redshirt last season, preserving his 4 years of eligibility................maybe not? :glare:

For some reason, and I don't have time to look it up, but I thought that you will be charged with a year of eligibility for the academic issues that he was having. I don't know this for a fact, but for some reason I thought I'd read that somewhere. Is Hammersmith around?

For some reason, and I don't have time to look it up, but I thought that you will be charged with a year of eligibility for the academic issues that he was having. I don't know this for a fact, but for some reason I thought I'd read that somewhere. Is Hammersmith around?

Only on the non-hockey, non-nickname boards. :glare:

Being academically ineligible counts against your 5 year window, but it doesn't automatically count against your 4 playing years. If you had not already used your redshirt year, the ineligible year could sort of count as that. It wouldn't quite be the same because there are things an eligible redshirting player can do that a ineligible player can't, but it's close enough for government work. The one area where there can be problems is in sports whose competition seasons straddle the semester break like basketball. That doesn't apply here, so we'll just ignore it.

Murray was a 2007 HS grad, so:

2007: 1st year of competition

2008: 2nd year of competition

2009: ineligible - didn't compete

2010: 3rd year of competition

2011: 4th year of competition

He could be listed as a senior this year because that seems to be standard practice for athletic departments. They seem to err toward multiple senior seasons rather than keeping track of mid-career redshirts(for whatever reason). I would guess that Murray will be listed as a senior both this year and next.

Being academically ineligible counts against your 5 year window, but it doesn't automatically count against your 4 playing years. If you had not already used your redshirt year, the ineligible year could sort of count as that. It wouldn't quite be the same because there are things an eligible redshirting player can do that a ineligible player can't, but it's close enough for government work. The one area where there can be problems is in sports whose competition seasons straddle the semester break like basketball. That doesn't apply here, so we'll just ignore it.

He could be listed as a senior this year because that seems to be standard practice for athletic departments. They seem to err toward multiple senior seasons rather than keeping track of mid-career redshirts(for whatever reason). I would guess that Murray will be listed as a senior both this year and next.

Thanks.

If he is caught up academically he would be a senior in the classroom for 2010. That may be why he is listed as such on the roster.

It appears Nick Doehling is no longer listed on the roster either, which would put the attrition rate at 25% for the recruiting class of 2009.