SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Final 5 thoughts

AZSIOUX

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin Gorg will be on KFAN with PA tomorrow talking hockey. Let the Sioux bashing begin! :glare:

I can't wait to hear what he has to say. :ohmy: I am sure we will get your classic Sioux bashing UND is a bunch of hacks, UND should step aside and let the Goofs play in the Final Five. Joe Finley is a piece of work and a goon. Frattin should be suspended from hockey for life. Blah, Blah, Blah... Oh yeah I almost forgot; Finley pulling Wheeler out of the Hand Shake line was the most classless thing Gorg has ever seen.

media day was this morning with the team leaving

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

He also talked about the big weekend for Matt Frattin, who scored four goals in the three games. Hakstol said that Frattin is getting to a level of consistency that the Sioux haven't seen from him yet. Even if Frattin is not at the top of his game, his baseline level of play is still very high, Hakstol said.

UND will have to make an adjustment on his line, though. The team is 9-2 since putting Frattin with Evan Trupp and Brad Malone. That's the only line that hasn't changed during UND's late-season run. Expect them to be back together after Frattin serves his one game suspension for his hit on Kevin Wehrs.

If UND beats Duluth, the Sioux will have to play six games in nine days. So, UND has been very careful in trying to get players rested and healed up. Malone said the team is quite banged up right now, but they'll get the adrenaline going on game days.

Brad Eidsness trained heavily this summer in order to better condition himself. Hakstol said that's going to be very important for Eidsness right now. Eidsness certainly hasn't showed any signs of slowing down. UND could make the decision to play Aaron Dell this weekend, as the Sioux already know they are in the NCAAs.

per brad

He also talked about the big weekend for Matt Frattin, who scored four goals in the three games. Hakstol said that Frattin is getting to a level of consistency that the Sioux haven't seen from him yet. Even if Frattin is not at the top of his game, his baseline level of play is still very high, Hakstol said.

UND will have to make an adjustment on his line, though. The team is 9-2 since putting Frattin with Evan Trupp and Brad Malone. That's the only line that hasn't changed during UND's late-season run. Expect them to be back together after Frattin serves his one game suspension for his hit on Kevin Wehrs.

If UND beats Duluth, the Sioux will have to play six games in nine days. So, UND has been very careful in trying to get players rested and healed up. Malone said the team is quite banged up right now, but they'll get the adrenaline going on game days.

Brad Eidsness trained heavily this summer in order to better condition himself. Hakstol said that's going to be very important for Eidsness right now. Eidsness certainly hasn't showed any signs of slowing down. UND could make the decision to play Aaron Dell this weekend, as the Sioux already know they are in the NCAAs.

Brad Eidsness actually looks better this season than he did at the end of last season. Last weekend it appeared that he was really focused.

other than the goal he allowed on sunday.

I agree. He may have been screened, I don't know, but that was a very soft goal. He made up for it the rest of the

game though! We just need him to be absolutely solid the next couple of weeks. This means not straying from his

goal like he did last year against Duluth. That was embarrassing.

For a banged up team, playing 6 games in 9 days might not be the best recipe before NCAA play.

I won't be happy if the Sioux lose tomorrow, but I certainly won't be ticked. :glare:

You got it, I can verify there was no handshake between Hextall and Lucia, and it was because Lucia refused to. It appeared he said something to Hextall and pulled his hand back. Unless someone has the game on DVR idk if you'll get proof, and that's assuming they showed either of these two instances on camera.

This gesture is being misconstrued: Don Lucia is widely known to be a bit of a germophobe. The words Lucia exchanged with Brett were something to the effect of, "Great game, Brett. You guys really man-handled our squad. Good luck in St. Paul, and in the NCAAs. Oh, you've not been exposed to that nasty RSV that's going around, have you?" To which Brett replied, "Thanks a lot coach. It is always an honor to lace up the skates against your squads. We love your program, and the intensity your guys always bring to the ice. And yes, my room mate had the flu for a couple days this week."

So Lucia's actions were not those of a miffed hockey coach, but rather a mildly-OCD Howie Mandel kind of neat freak. I just couldn't sit here and allow tDon's name to be besmirched.

just a observation for you fortunate to be at the final 5

you will be watching 4 of the top 6 teams in the nation in many polls and 5 of the top 11. ive always thought this was the best tourney all around of the season to watch! have fun and make the X = The Ralph St. Paul

per brad

Don't worry...we'll make sure you get plenty of rest this weekend! :glare:

Just a little over 24 hours to go!

I can't find any info about an alumni party or pre-game for tomorrow night. I know I saw it but I can't find it again.

Thanks

From the Alumni e-mail:

WCHA FINAL FIVE FAN FEST

Wild Tymes Bar & Grill

33 Seventh Pl W

St. Paul, MN 55102

No charge to attend - all are welcome!

2 hours before game time.

per brad

This reminds me way too much of last year at this time when we were so banged up at the end.

Got this from a Gopher fan today, good to see some of them still have a sense of humor.

I think they got the 3 seed.

The College Hockey National Invitational Tournament (NIT) starts Tuesday.

All games played at Bloomington Ice Gardens.

nit.JPG

just a observation for you fortunate to be at the final 5

you will be watching 4 of the top 6 teams in the nation in many polls and 5 of the top 11. ive always thought this was the best tourney all around of the season to watch! have fun and make the X = The Ralph St. Paul

I talked with a former Sioux player who had won both a Final Five and National Championship. He said he thought it was harder to win the Final Five because the WCHA tournament is always packed with the top teams in the country, especially once you get to the Final Five. In the NCAA's you will usually end up meeting top teams in the nation but you don't have to go through so many good teams to win it all.

I talked with a former Sioux player who had won both a Final Five and National Championship. He said he thought it was harder to win the Final Five because the WCHA tournament is always packed with the top teams in the country, especially once you get to the Final Five. In the NCAA's you will usually end up meeting top teams in the nation but you don't have to go through so many good teams to win it all.

C'mon Dagies, drop the name, you know you want to. Be a name-dropper. don't be shy.... :huh:

Got this from a Gopher fan today, good to see some of them still have a sense of humor.

I think they got the 3 seed.

The College Hockey National Invitational Tournament (NIT) starts Tuesday.

All games played at Bloomington Ice Gardens.

nit.JPG

What!? This is a travesty! How could the Electoral College not make it?

Although not scientific and not based on stats, but rather on games I've witnessed the Keys to the Five:

Shut down UMD's first line and stay out of the penalty box.

UMD has an exceptional pp,and wins games because of it.

UMD is extremely talented on the first line and solid on the second. They fall off dramatically on the third and fourth.

Goaltending is mediocre and dcorps is mediocre.

Wisconsin has a ton of talent and is extremely deep.

They can be scored on, however. Get to them early and don't let them play their system. They are great with a lead. Another team that you can't give pps to.

DU has the best goaltender and a very skilled and experienced team. They can be beat, but we can't take our foot off the accelerator. If we play on our toes rather than our heels, we can beat them.

SCSU is good but not great. They have skill, but they have unpredictable goaltending. I believe they are the least complete team, but they are very capable of stealing a win with their first line and pp.