SiouxSports.com Forum

How will the New Nickname be Decided?

Cratter

Question #3 - No. The liberal agenda The nickname's a'changin and I dread what abomination they'll come up with. I don't have faith in those people.

It wasn't a liberal AGENDA that changed the name. It was a liberal manipulation by Myles Brand aimed to take away what Englestad created.

Sorry, you won't understand this point and I aint explaining it.

I have a feeling about North Dakotan's and how they will accept this bogus cue-de-ta. I have hope that between the "Ralph" with its independent autonomous position and Sioux fans passion and dedication, we might see something interesting develop in the future with regard to our name...

• Upvote 1

The legal avenue at SR is to force recognition of what happened years ago. Namely, the Tribe granted permission, there was a huge ceremony, a pow-wow, the university president was given a beautiful headdress, the sides had the peace pipe, etc. There's all kinds of stories about it in the old papers which were dug up out of the archives. I went up there to do some research myself but I could not find anything either at the Thormodsgard law school library or at the Chester Fritz. Whomever dug them up is a lot better at doing that than I am. In any event, it was worth a day off of work and a weekend up there. Permission already has been granted over 40 years ago. With the ceremonies performed, that permission is not subject to being revoked, as I understand it. That permission must be recognized by the Tribal Council. If they don't, that denial is the worst form of betrayal and racism as against the customs of the Tribe and their forebears.

Archie, Steve Fool Bear, Eunice Davidson, Tom Iron and many others too numerous to name here are the true heroes and the true warriors. Many on this very site have just thrown up their hands and said, "Well, it's inevitable anyway. What can we do?" Well, it's not inevitable and it never has been. That is what's wrong with out political framework today. You must fight against wrongdoing (See years-long imperious NCAA PC "mandates" about school nicknames). You must fight against absolutism. (See racist, liberal UND faculty/administrators and the racist 5% of the natives who do not like the name and who label anyone who disagrees with their racist rantings as a "racist" and a "bigot" irrespective of the facts that their claims have little to no logical support and absolutely no factual support, except various, factually unsupported anecdotes by the opponents themselves). That's what all of this is. It's wrongdoing, it's absolutism, it's the squelching of free speech and the abuse of economic power (See NCAA monopoly) and it's both the cynical misuse of administrative/political authority and the cynical failure to assert political muscle (See spineless fish Earl Pomeroy, Byron Dorgan and Kent Conrad and, to a lesser degree, John Hoeven. Thank God ND got sensible and got rid of the first. Had the second run, he would have gotten scorched. Hopefully, the third will realize defeat in 2 years; that seat should still be occupied by Mark Andrews anyway). Throwing up our collective hands, as we've all been wont to do in this country for so long, is just a massive slippery slope and we're all seeing play out both nationally (see cow-towing to special interest groups instead of advocating for a constituency, the hi-jacking words and phrases by the national "sensitivity" police) and locally (See brain atrophied PC administrators and faculty dictating things at UND and the NCAA).

Nationally, we are ripe for the taking because of all of this crap. Too many are focused on a bunch of garbage like school nicknames and which words need to be eliminated because they offend this or that group and which person can "marry" and which one can't instead of economic policy, national security, etc. All of this garbage should not even consume anyone's focus and mental/creative energies to begin with as it's all purely negative energy. To hell with that.

• Upvote 1

The legal avenue at SR is to force recognition of what happened years ago. Namely, the Tribe granted permission, there was a huge ceremony, a pow-wow, the university president was given a beautiful headdress, the sides had the peace pipe, etc. There's all kinds of stories about it in the old papers which were dug up out of the archives. I went up there to do some research myself but I could not find anything either at the Thormodsgard law school library or at the Chester Fritz. Whomever dug them up is a lot better at doing that than I am. In any event, it was worth a day off of work and a weekend up there. Permission already has been granted over 40 years ago. With the ceremonies performed, that permission is not subject to being revoked, as I understand it. That permission must be recognized by the Tribal Council. If they don't, that denial is the worst form of betrayal and racism as against the customs of the Tribe and their forebears.

Archie, Steve Fool Bear, Eunice Davidson, Tom Iron and many others too numerous to name here are the true heroes and the true warriors. Many on this very site have just thrown up their hands and said, "Well, it's inevitable anyway. What can we do?" Well, it's not inevitable and it never has been. That is what's wrong with out political framework today. You must fight against wrongdoing (See years-long imperious NCAA PC "mandates" about school nicknames). You must fight against absolutism. (See racist, liberal UND faculty/administrators and the racist 5% of the natives who do not like the name and who label anyone who disagrees with their racist rantings as a "racist" and a "bigot" irrespective of the facts that their claims have little to no logical support and absolutely no factual support, except various, factually unsupported anecdotes by the opponents themselves). That's what all of this is. It's wrongdoing, it's absolutism, it's the squelching of free speech and the abuse of economic power (See NCAA monopoly) and it's both the cynical misuse of administrative/political authority and the cynical failure to assert political muscle (See spineless fish Earl Pomeroy, Byron Dorgan and Kent Conrad and, to a lesser degree, John Hoeven. Thank God ND got sensible and got rid of the first. Had the second run, he would have gotten scorched. Hopefully, the third will realize defeat in 2 years; that seat should still be occupied by Mark Andrews anyway). Throwing up our collective hands, as we've all been wont to do in this country for so long, is just a massive slippery slope and we're all seeing play out both nationally (see cow-towing to special interest groups instead of advocating for a constituency, the hi-jacking words and phrases by the national "sensitivity" police) and locally (See brain atrophied PC administrators and faculty dictating things at UND and the NCAA).

Nationally, we are ripe for the taking because of all of this crap. Too many are focused on a bunch of garbage like school nicknames and which words need to be eliminated because they offend this or that group and which person can "marry" and which one can't instead of economic policy, national security, etc. All of this garbage should not even consume anyone's focus and mental/creative energies to begin with as it's all purely negative energy. To hell with that.

Very good post!

The bottom line is that if we let this name change thing be done TO US, then that means so much more to us as a society than simply a nickname changing. It speaks to the place where we have found ourselves as a culture and a society.

It shows just what we have become. It is reflective of a social disposition that threatens the ideals of free will itself!

With just 22 days until the retirement. Don't get your hopes up. Its gone. In 2011-2012 I also see us as the University of North Dakota. But for 2012 when we become the newest Big Sky member and have a shot at playoffs we wil have a new identity. If we wait longer they will pick a name out of desperation and it will not a be a good one.

As I understand it or remeber reading, as part of the NCAA agreement, the nickname must be replaced and is not allowed to be left open or vacant beyond a specified period of time. Otherwise, the old nickname would essentially be retained and used in an unofficial capacity, at least that would be the ncaa's concern. That is what I remember reading. Can anyone elaborate on this?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As I understand it or remeber reading, as part of the NCAA agreement, the nickname must be replaced and is not allowed to be left open or vacant beyond a specified period of time. Otherwise, the old nickname would essentially be retained and used in an unofficial capacity, at least that would be the ncaa's concern. That is what I remember reading. Can anyone elaborate on this?

My recollection is that there was enough ambiguity in the settlement where there was a lot of banter here as to whether or not that was the case. Can't remember where we ended up on that.

My recollection is that there was enough ambiguity in the settlement where there was a lot of banter here as to whether or not that was the case. Can't remember where we ended up on that.

i guess i don't have a copy of that agreement at hand and i don't have the time right now to look it up again but i do not recall seeing a mandate that it has to be changed to or replaced by anything in particular. i believe the agreement just says that the name needs to be retired. even if it says "changed" it could be "changed" to "north dakota." i say market that if the name does not stay.

• 3 weeks later...

I well understand the desire to keep the Sioux name, but let's suppose there's no midnight reprieve. Is there a leading replacement candidate? One or two that are surfacing?

The official process hasn't started yet. There is just a lot of discussion among fans. So the answer is no, there isn't a leading candidate or even a group of candidates as of yet.

• 2 months later...

In case you missed it. There will be no popular vote, no nothing on a nickname.

One man will decide what he thinks is "cool" for UND's nickname for the "rest of eternity." :crazy::unsure::angry:

Will it be Beavers, Elk, Horses, Blue, Spirit, Or Farmers?

President Kelley will choose the University

(if it happens)

What small group of people get to decide the fate of this great university?

What has history shown us at other universities changing their names?

Any way for the people at UND to have the most powerful voice?

1) Small Group? The answer is one person.

2) History has shown a nickname advisory committee comes up with a list of names by UND stakeholders, and a popular vote is taken by the Higher Educational Governing Body. The one that hires the University Presidents.

3) Not a chance.

Looks like our Bison Buddy might be right.

UND has to choose a new nickname by August 15, 2011 or will be placed back on the "hostile and abusive" list according to paragrah d. on page 6 of the settlement.

"If UND does not adopt a new nickname and logo, or if the transition to a new nickname and logo is not completed prior to August 15, 2011, then UND will be returned to the list of institutions subject to the Policy".

One man will decide what he thinks is "cool" for UND's nickname for the "rest of eternity." :crazy::unsure::angry:

This comes directly from the UND's Nickname and Logo Blog website.

http://nickname.und.edu/logo/?page_id=503

Oh great...I hope Kelley handles it with as much zest, zeal and vigor as he did in defending the only frickin' nickname UND should ever have!! :glare::angry:

If this is true and the case, my betting line for his choice is a flower...say pansies!

Looks like our Bison Buddy might be right.

I highly doubt a new nickname will be chosen by August 15, 2011, and the NCAA is not going to require a new nickname to be chosen by then. I've heard Faison say that at least for the 11-12 season, UND will not have a nickname. However, UND will eventually choose a new nickname. I suppose there are lots of reasons for that. Having a branding identity and so the Sioux nickname doesn't linger are two of the obvious ones.

It is disconcerting that Kelley, with no connections to North Dakota, is going to unilaterally choose the new nickname for the State's flagship institution. For me, installing a new nickname is going to be almost as painful as dropping the current one. I don't even want to imagine the generic ineffectual nickname that a man like Kelley is going to come up with.

Of course, this is all depending on the result of the pending legislation and the ensuing litigation.

Oh great...I hope Kelley handles it with as much zest, zeal and vigor as he did in defending the only frickin' nickname UND should ever have!! :glare::angry:

If this is true and the case, my betting line for his choice is a flower...say pansies!

University of North Dakota Fighting Spirit!! He has a logo in the flame.

This comes directly from the UND's Nickname and Logo Blog website.

http://nickname.und.edu/logo/?page_id=503

First, let me say that I'm not excited about Kelley determining the nickname. But to be fair, this is what the website says about the new nickname process:

UND will implement a transparent and inclusive transition process to establish new traditions and a new identity around which the entire University of North Dakota community can rally. The specific approach to choosing a new nickname and logo has not yet been developed. President Kelley will decide when and how to implement the process and, ultimately, will choose the University

It is disconcerting that Kelley, with no connections to North Dakota, is going to unilaterally choose the new nickname for the State's flagship institution. For me, installing a new nickname is going to be almost as painful as dropping the current one. I don't even want to imagine the generic ineffectual nickname that a man like Kelley is going to come up with.

I don't believe Kelley will "unilaterally" choose the new nickname. Kelley, like most university presidents, is a politician and will try to build consensus (as much as one can on an issue like this). A committee will be formed, float a few suggestions, then make a recommendation, which Kelley will likely approve. Will everyone be happy in the end? Of course, not. But it won't be because Kelley picked the new nickname. It will be a committee recommendation.