SiouxSports.com Forum

SOME GOOD NEWS ?

Fetch

MplsBison...we really appreciate the concern for all of us that donate to UND. I know I don't speak for everyone, but I'd say the majoriy of us want this to play out.

That is very obvious.

I bet at least 95% of the UND fans on this board want it to go all the way to Nov 2010, even if April comes and the ND supreme court rules agains the SL group and the SR has still not had a vote. You'd still say "to hell with bball, we want the nickname!"

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love college hockey, but it's a niche sport with no more of a following than FCS football or NCAA baseball. Savvis Center in St.Louis was a morgue when we went, bought up nosebleeds for $10 and moved down to center ice lower bowl with no problem. And although they have a screw loose, NDSU football fans travel very well also.

Perhaps, but only if their team is playing. :ohmy:

Under the laws of (soverign) Standing Rock, will a vote by then even be possible?

Patience. Hope. Closure.

Standing. Rock. Does. NOT. Deserve. Any. More. Time. Than. They. Have. Already. Wasted.

They had all the time they needed and they chose to piss it down their leg.

The SL group lawsuit is the last obstacle in the SBoHE's way of putting the SR out of their misery. The ruling can't come fast enough.

In case you haven't noticed, I have rejected your false mantra.

The time for patience has long since passed. Standing Rock chose to do nothing so they deserve no more patience.

You can choose to hope that the nickname can be saved, that's your prerogative. The only thing worth hoping, IMO, is that UND can still make it into the Summit League.

Closure is attained once the nickname is retired and UND is invited to join the Summit.

Man ...No Respect

I admire them for doing it on their schedule ...not yours - A new leader & council has more to get done than the name issue - they will deal with it before November & we will wait & see - you worry about the next time the Bison get to the show ..........don't hold your breath - On second thought go ahead :silly:

I know ...I Know wintereye.jpg

The decision should be evident if you look at the probability of possible outcomes. Even under the most promising of circumstances there is still only about a 25% chance that Standing Rock takes sufficient action to approve use of the nickname by November 2010. That's it. Meanwhile their is probably a 50% chance that the Summit moves on and accepts another school for expansion. We take a huge risk by letting this thing go on until November. Are the nickname supporters willing to risk the worst possible scenario (no nickname, no conference for foreseeable future)? Are you willing to accept that outcome? If you are I'd love to hear what you think UND's next course of action should be if that scenario plays out.

Also even if waiting til November does miraculously save the nickname at the expense of Summit League membership, what will be the response from nickname supporters? Will they increase their donations to the athletic programs that essentially took it in the shorts for the nickname? Will Sioux hockey supporters suddenly start supporting the volleyball and M&W basketball teams to voice their appreciation for them being the sacrificial lambs for the Sioux nickname? I highly doubt it.

Personally, I think the SBOHE is ultimately going to take this risk despite what common sense says is the correct course of action and those of us who are actually fans of the university and its athletic teams will have to just cross our fingers that the Summit League doesn't add another school before this gets resolved. I also predict that the same people who are threatening to stop supporting the school if the nickname is dropped now will do the same thing in November when the nickname is actually dropped. This whole process will someday serve as an example of how not to make decisions in public administration.

In case you haven't noticed, I have rejected your false mantra.

The time for patience has long since passed. Standing Rock chose to do nothing so they deserve no more patience.

You can choose to hope that the nickname can be saved, that's your prerogative. The only thing worth hoping, IMO, is that UND can still make it into the Summit League.

Closure is attained once the nickname is retired and UND is invited to join the Summit.

Hey Bison Boy.... I see that in the "NDSU - UND GAME 2010" thread, you admit that even with a crappy team this year, all the Bison BB team has to do is win the Summit Tournament to get into March Madness again. That statement is actually true, and unlike any of the other one's you have been making here, it can be proven.

The problem is that when you made the statement, you also admitted the obvious: That the Summit is a weak league and that any weak sister school could probably end up winning it and getting the magical auto-bid for a cameo appearance in the NCAA tourney.

So how then, can last year's Bison BB team possibly be the greatest North Dakota sports team ever? Yeah...that's right, they can't! Thanks for contradicting yourself.

Now.... how's that search to prove those other brilliant statements you've made recently going? You said that you don't have time or internet search prowess to prove your statement on the TV ratings.... so why don't you start with your statement that every single Division 1 BB recruit has been promised that they will play in an auto-bid conference. All you will have to do is ask every Division 1 recruit and coach at every Division 1 school in the country.

You're an intellectual giant... I'm sure you can do it. And if you don't mind, I'm going to make a sandwich and have a beer while I wait. :silly:

You may not believe it, but it is the harsh reality.

If UND decides to wait until November, there's at least a 50-50 chance that the Summit will move on without them and add Chicago State and Utah Valley.

That will leave UND without any opportunity to join an auto-bid league in the next 5-10 years, which will be far more financially devistating to the athletic department than changing the nickname "early". I doubt highly that any significant fall-out will occur from retiring the nickname, even in April after the ND Supreme Court has ruled against the SL group.

UND doesn't want any donations from such fair weather "fans" who would deny support over a nickname, anyway.

No facts, all opinion per ususal...

No facts, all opinion per ususal...

Yeah, he mentioned two expansion candidates...One of whom(UVU) the league won't even return their calls and the other(Chicago State) who was kicked out of the league a few years ago because they were basically the poorest run athletic department in DI. Don't see the league going down either one of those paths.

It is clear the Summit wants UND and I even think it won't matter if the this thing drags on until 11/30 but it has to end there. No last minute lawsuits or extensions, otherwise I doubt anyone could blame the Summit for moving on.

On this we agree.

Yeah, he mentioned two expansion candidates...One of whom(UVU) the league won't even return their calls and the other(Chicago State) who was kicked out of the league a few years ago because they were basically the poorest run athletic department in DI. Don't see the league going down either one of those paths.

I thought the same:

Utah Valley was a JuCo not that long ago.

Chicago State was run out of the Summit in the same timeframe.

Do the existing members of the Summit want to keep company with them?

Remember: You are the company you keep.

It is clear the Summit wants UND and I even think it won't matter if the this thing drags on until 11/30 but it has to end there. No last minute lawsuits or extensions, otherwise I doubt anyone could blame the Summit for moving on.

I'm impressed with the wisdom of this Bison fan. :silly:

Man ...No Respect

I admire them for doing it on their schedule ...not yours - A new leader & council has more to get done than the name issue - they will deal with it before November & we will wait & see - you worry about the next time the Bison get to the show ..........don't hold your breath - On second thought go ahead :silly:

You admire it because you have something to gain. :glare:

I'm sure you'd be in here preaching about "patience" and "justice" if the outcome were likely that they would vote against supporting the nickname. :silly:

The decision should be evident if you look at the probability of possible outcomes. Even under the most promising of circumstances there is still only about a 25% chance that Standing Rock takes sufficient action to approve use of the nickname by November 2010. That's it. Meanwhile their is probably a 50% chance that the Summit moves on and accepts another school for expansion. We take a huge risk by letting this thing go on until November. Are the nickname supporters willing to risk the worst possible scenario (no nickname, no conference for foreseeable future)? Are you willing to accept that outcome? If you are I'd love to hear what you think UND's next course of action should be if that scenario plays out.

Also even if waiting til November does miraculously save the nickname at the expense of Summit League membership, what will be the response from nickname supporters? Will they increase their donations to the athletic programs that essentially took it in the shorts for the nickname? Will Sioux hockey supporters suddenly start supporting the volleyball and M&W basketball teams to voice their appreciation for them being the sacrificial lambs for the Sioux nickname? I highly doubt it.

Personally, I think the SBOHE is ultimately going to take this risk despite what common sense says is the correct course of action and those of us who are actually fans of the university and its athletic teams will have to just cross our fingers that the Summit League doesn't add another school before this gets resolved. I also predict that the same people who are threatening to stop supporting the school if the nickname is dropped now will do the same thing in November when the nickname is actually dropped. This whole process will someday serve as an example of how not to make decisions in public administration.

It's pretty clear what would happen if the nickname is saved at the expense of Summit membership. That's the dream scenario of UND hockey fans, kill two birds with one stone: save the nickname for hockey and kill off any hopes of basketball gaining resources and attention.

Hey Bison Boy.... I see that in the "NDSU - UND GAME 2010" thread, you admit that even with a crappy team this year, all the Bison BB team has to do is win the Summit Tournament to get into March Madness again. That statement is actually true, and unlike any of the other one's you have been making here, it can be proven.

The problem is that when you made the statement, you also admitted the obvious: That the Summit is a weak league and that any weak sister school could probably end up winning it and getting the magical auto-bid for a cameo appearance in the NCAA tourney.

So how then, can last year's Bison BB team possibly be the greatest North Dakota sports team ever? Yeah...that's right, they can't! Thanks for contradicting yourself.

Now.... how's that search to prove those other brilliant statements you've made recently going? You said that you don't have time or internet search prowess to prove your statement on the TV ratings.... so why don't you start with your statement that every single Division 1 BB recruit has been promised that they will play in an auto-bid conference. All you will have to do is ask every Division 1 recruit and coach at every Division 1 school in the country.

You're an intellectual giant... I'm sure you can do it. And if you don't mind, I'm going to make a sandwich and have a beer while I wait. :silly:

I didn't say they were the best ND sports team ever.

I said they gained the most national attention of any ND sports team ever.

I thought the same:

Utah Valley was a JuCo not that long ago.

Chicago State was run out of the Summit in the same timeframe.

Do the existing members of the Summit want to keep company with them?

Remember: You are the company you keep.

It all depends on if UND is a viable candidate for expansion or not. It also depends on Denver, another possibility (though I think a longshot).

But if UND is not going to be in the race due to the nickname, they'll have to consider alternatives. Southern Utah may want out of the conference, but they're still in for now and will still have a crappy travel partner in UMKC.

UVS solves that. So would Denver.

Chicago State has very nice, relatively new bball arena. Check it out: http://www.gocsucougars.com/sports/2008/4/...0224.aspx?id=15 They're also in a huge market. If they can prove that their "problems" are being taken care of, I see no reason why the Summit wouldn't consider them.

In fact, I think the Summit's ideal expansion candidates are UND and Chicago St (assuming Denver is not on the table).

Man ...No Respect

Is MplsBison baiting Sioux fans or are Sioux fans eating him for lunch? I'd say Sioux fans are eating MplsBison for lunch...espicially JPL157.

It all depends on if UND is a viable candidate for expansion or not. It also depends on Denver, another possibility (though I think a longshot).

But if UND is not going to be in the race due to the nickname, they'll have to consider alternatives. Southern Utah may want out of the conference, but they're still in for now and will still have a crappy travel partner in UMKC.

UVS solves that. So would Denver.

Chicago State has very nice, relatively new bball arena. Check it out: http://www.gocsucougars.com/sports/2008/4/...0224.aspx?id=15 They're also in a huge market. If they can prove that their "problems" are being taken care of, I see no reason why the Summit wouldn't consider them.

In fact, I think the Summit's ideal expansion candidates are UND and Chicago St (assuming Denver is not on the table).

I think Douple's dream is obvious, just the other day he was talking expansion in South Dakota, with UND and UNO(Nebraska-Omaha) getting favorable statements.

Douple's vision....

UNO-Denver

SDSU-USD

NDSU-UND

ORU-UMKC

WIU-IUPUI

IPFW-Oakland

I think Douple's dream is obvious, just the other day he was talking expansion in South Dakota, with UND and UNO(Nebraska-Omaha) getting favorable statements.

Douple's vision....

UNO-Denver

SDSU-USD

NDSU-UND

ORU-UMKC

WIU-IUPUI

IPFW-Oakland

UNO and UMKC go better together, the I-29 division. Then I don't know who for ORU...maybe Denver maybe someone closer to Tulsa.