SiouxSports.com Forum

SOME GOOD NEWS ?

Fetch

How many times do I have to tell you that it wasn't necessarily the game that got NDSU the national attention? It was the pre-game show hype that everyone saw and more importantly the promo done on the team helping out with the Fargo floods, again everyone who was tuned into the March Madness pre-game show saw that. You can not buy that type of ratings exposure with a cable network!

Jocelyn Lamoureux scored a highlight goal yesterday in the Olympics. After they showed replays of the goal they mentioned that she probably worked on those moves on the ponds of North Dakota, they also gave a shout out to the University of North Dakota. I would think that there were a few people around the world watching that.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mpls, I know that you wouldn't accept this statement from anyone else without proof, so I'm asking you for proof of the ratings. What were the ratings for the early Thursday NCAA game the Bison played with vs. the Bemidji State Frozen Four semifinal.

I would love to know myself, but I have neither the time nor the internet searching prowess to even begin to know where to look for that.

It's probably out there somewhere.

Jocelyn Lamoureux scored a highlight goal yesterday in the Olympics. After they showed replays of the goal they mentioned that she probably worked on those moves on the ponds of North Dakota, they also gave a shout out to the University of North Dakota. I would think that there were a few people around the world watching that.

The point is that UND bball has huge potential to bring national exposure to North Dakota and UND. Denying them that opportunity for a nickname? Childish and selfish.

Denying them that opportunity for a nickname? Childish and selfish.

The Fighting Sioux nickname is something a lot of us want to hold on to. The name has credibility that even you can't deny. I think it's childish and selfish that the NCAA wants to take away the name from the majority of Native Americans that find it something to be very proud of. The Summit League knows what the deadline is.

The point is that UND bball has huge potential to bring national exposure to North Dakota and UND. Denying them that opportunity for a nickname? Childish and selfish.

No one is denying the bball team anything.

They are not eligible for post-season for a few years, by that time the nickname issue will be resolved and UND will be in the Summit where they will be able to play for the right to be a 14-16 seed in the NC$$ tourny.

The pros far outweigh any perceived negatives to let this play out until 11/30.

The Fighting Sioux nickname is something a lot of us want to hold on to. The name has credibility that even you can't deny. I think it's childish and selfish that the NCAA wants to take away the name from the majority of Native Americans that find it something to be very proud of. The Summit League knows what the deadline is.

One tribe has held a vote, the other has not.

The only concrete fact: Nov 2010 is not guaranteed to the tribes. The SBoHE is free to tell UND to retire the nickname prior to that time.

No one is denying the bball team anything.

They are not eligible for post-season for a few years, by that time the nickname issue will be resolved and UND will be in the Summit where they will be able to play for the right to be a 14-16 seed in the NC$ tourny.

The pros far outweigh any perceived negatives to let this play out until 11/30.

The negative is that the Summit moves on without UND and thus UND does not get into an auto-bid conference for several years.

Way too big of a negative to risk, even for a nickname.

Sicatoka is right.

How can you gauge which team the fans tuned in for? Kansas isn't exactly a puny team. I'd bet most of those who tuned in were Jayhawk fans.

As for ratings, I'd certainly hope the NCAA basketball tourney is better rated than a regular season hockey game. After all:

1. It's the playoffs

2. With 2000 teams involved and national tv for most of the games, there has to be the numbers that can overwhelm any non-playoff hockey event and even, to a certain extent, playoff hockey.

3. Name brand recognition on at least one side of the court. Folks, if it was NDSU vs. Radford, would this game even have been televised? Would almost 16,000 people even showed up? NDSU fans travel pretty well regionally. I loved their performance vs. UMN in football both times. However, if it was a nobody team NDSU was playing (nobody vs. nobody which, outside of this region, sorry guys, NDSU is a nobody), I can't believe it would have been this well attended.

Look, I'm not going to sit here saying how UND BB is going to be as good or better than NDSU. I don't think UND is "there" yet. They might be sooner or later. They might not. Who knows?

But I'm not going to continue getting into a pissing match comparing apples to oranges. UND Hockey is nationally known. You can call hockey a niche sport and you'd be right, but nationally known is nationally known.

NDSU was, even to the bloggers that covered the game, a "Cinderella" story. More news because of getting there in their first year of eligibility than because of their skill.

And for the record, they acquitted themselves pretty well. They only lost by 10. And you can look back through this message board and you'll find me congratulating NDSU on the accomplishment.

But you're not going to make headway trying to explain how one NCAA appearance for a newly DI basketball team is going to be superior in any way to a perrenially nationally ranked hockey team that has about 18 alum in the NHL or minor leagues or coaching ranks.

One might also be remiss in stating that UND also holds one alum among the NBA coaching ranks. Quite the feather.

That would be me a Die hard Jayhawk bball fan since 1988!!! :ohmy:

As someone who has played and coached hockey, I honestly can tell you that I think it is the greatest sport in the world. Give a young kid a chance to play hockey and also chance to play basketball and the vast majority will choose hockey. It's just more fun IMHO.

That said, I like to think I'm also a reasonable person, and I do not support the delusional notion that hockey is even remotely as popular as basketball on a national level or even in ND. UND hockey is regionally significant for the cult followers of college hockey. But that's it, don't kid yourselves. An NCAA appearance by UND's basketball team would bring unheard of national recognition to this university, and in more than just the niche sportsfan's livingroom.

Don't bother.

They'll just come back from every reason under the...well, moon... for why UND is the nations most popular ND collegiate sports team, from having their games on a cable network to national titles to meeting people from around the country who know about UND hockey but have never heard of NDSU's bball team.

They don't agree that UND's bball team making it into March Madness could possibly bring the state or school any more recognition around the country than UND hockey already does. They won't allow that possibility and are offended by the thought.

Don't bother.

They'll just come back from every reason under the...well, moon... for why UND is the nations most popular ND collegiate sports team, from having their games on a cable network to national titles to meeting people from around the country who know about UND hockey but have never heard of NDSU's bball team.

They don't agree that UND's bball team making it into March Madness could possibly bring the state or school any more recognition around the country than UND hockey already does. They won't allow that possibility and are offended by the thought.

If UND beat a #1 seed then yes it would bring more recognizion but just getting there and losing like NDSU did. People are NOT going to remember who you are.

Attention ?

mpls - Your an expert on needing & getting attention :lol:

Go start your own thread about trivial BS - you think you know so much about

I am personally sick of you & your ideas - Because of you....you have set back any interest in the Summit I ever had (& that was not much) - Because of you, I will always think negative about it - they will have to hire PR people to counter your BS & I could care less what sports give ND recognition - Yeah Class B basketball is Huge in Rural ND - But do they really care about College - unless Kids from their regions make the teams ...........probably not & the higher the division the less likely ND kids are going to make the team or play

I don't care about BB at all - But I do care about the Fighting Sioux Hockey Program - We were D1 long before all these new D1 conferences

Fighting Sioux Hockey sells out a 11.000 seat arena - do other sports - do you have any idea how many folks listen on radio or online or TV to Sioux Hockey & / or other sports ?

- I could care less if Fargo has sports

So in closing quit trying to be a jerk & get help for you narcissistic behavior

:ohmy:

Small clarification:

Most popular college sports team in ND with the people of ND: UND hockey.

Most popular college sports team in ND with the nation: NDSU bball.

You are kidding....right?:ohmy:

Even Mike McFeely admitted that Bison athletics is Small Potato's with the following article in the Fargo Forum a few years ago:

This is still only Fargo, an extremely small market. This is still only North Dakota, a flyover state in the middle of nowhere. This is still only North Dakota State University, a Division I institution located in a small market in a flyover state in the middle of nowhere.

Those are the lessons the brain wizards in the NDSU athletic department should have learned as they shuffle back to WDAY, jockstraps in hand, to work out a broadcast deal to air the mighty Bison. The flirtations with Clear Channel are dead, mainly because that entity decided University of North Dakota hockey broadcasts are too profitable to let get away.

UND over NDSU? Hopefully a lesson in humility and certainly a slap in the face.

(Time for the obligatory full disclosure paragraph, where I tell you who signs my paycheck, so you can decide for yourself whether my opinions on this topic are my own. This newspaper is owned by Forum Communications Co., also the parent of WDAY.)

Two things jump out about NDSU

How many times do I have to tell you that it wasn't necessarily the game that got NDSU the national attention? It was the pre-game show hype that everyone saw and more importantly the promo done on the team helping out with the Fargo floods, again everyone who was tuned into the March Madness pre-game show saw that. You can not buy that type of ratings exposure with a cable network!

But once again, it's pointless to get in a pissing match.

It is unforunate that Dan "the common man" Cole hasn't discovered your talants yet, you would have a decent shot of winning this contest as you would likely have 9 or 10 entrants.

http://kfan.com/pages/bridgepages/commonbracket/index.html

Hockey is king, anyone that has ever travelled to the Frozen Four, the West Regional, or even the Final Five tournament understands the following of

UND Fighting Sioux Hockey, it's a respected even reverred program, same isn't even remotely true of NDSU any sport....Opposing fans know Fighting Sioux

hockey AND the winning tradition, same cannot be said for any other school or sport in ND.

That's good. Maybe if Dan Cole is extremely lucky, he could book Bison Boy on the show to talk about the Promo on the Bison BB team helping out with the flood last year. :ohmy: Can you imagine.....the ratings would absolutely go through the roof!!! And the added exposure for Bison BB would cement their place as the greatest sports team in ND history!

And don't even get me started on how the added exposure would benefit The Summit League..... I'm sure Texas and Oklahoma would be knocking on Douple's door, begging to get in!

Mack Brown: "Hello, Mr. Douple, How y'all doin'? I got you on speaker phone with Bob Stoops. We heard all about your Summit League on Common Man's radio show. After hearing Bison Boy's epic tale of flood fighting, we thought it was time we found out more about your league. I wonder how we could have missed that promo when it was on last March...That Bisonette said that everyone saw it and was talking about it."

Bob Stoops: "I've got a couple of questions for you Tom. First off...what the Hell is IUPUI and IPFW? Aw....never mind, you got the Bison in your league, right, and floods, and an Auto - Bid for bouncy ball, right? Sweet!

Mack Brown:" Now let's talk some football"

Bob Stoops: "We must have a bad connection Tom. I thought I heard you say The Summit doesn't have football"

Mack Brown: 'CLICK'

Bob Stoops: 'CLICK'

The negative is that the Summit moves on without UND and thus UND does not get into an auto-bid conference for several years.

Way too big of a negative to risk, even for a nickname.

I don't believe that for a minute. Yes, there is no 100% guarantee that UND will be admitted if they wait until 11/30. There is also no guarantee if they change the name today, tomorrow, or next month. IMO, the only risk of waiting until 11/30 is a delay of one year...very, very little price to pay. If they change the name prior to 11/30 while SR is still working on the issue, then there will be problems for many, many years. It will be difficult enough to change the name if that has to happen come 11/30. There will be some that will never accept a change, but there will be far more that will not accept the change if they thought there was a chance to keep the name but UND and the State Board pulled the plug too early. This will be costly to UND, both in cost of making the change and loss of alumni $$$. Make no mistake, pulling the plug early will result in a lot of ticked off people and this will result, I believe, in a significant drop in donations. If the State Board wishes to pull the plug early then the state should be ready to write a blank check to UND to cover any financial loss.

It is just not worth throwing in the towel on the Fighting Sioux nickname to gain access to a bottom feeder league one year earlier.

Based on the statements by Douple regarding the nickname I have no confidence in his ability to run a conference successfully longterm. I will be extemely surprised if there aren't major changes in the league membership over the next 5-10 years.

That's good. Maybe if Dan Cole is extremely lucky, he could book Bison Boy on the show to talk about the Promo on the Bison BB team helping out with the flood last year. :ohmy: Can you imagine.....the ratings would absolutely go through the roof!!! And the added exposure for Bison BB would cement their place as the greatest sports team in ND history!

And don't even get me started on how the added exposure would benefit The Summit League..... I'm sure Texas and Oklahoma would be knocking on Douple's door, begging to get in!

Mack Brown: "Hello, Mr. Douple, How y'all doin'? I got you on speaker phone with Bob Stoops. We heard all about your Summit League on Common Man's radio show. After hearing Bison Boy's epic tale of flood fighting, we thought it was time we found out more about your league. I wonder how we could have missed that promo when it was on last March...That Bisonette said that everyone saw it and was talking about it."

Bob Stoops: "I've got a couple of questions for you Tom. First off...what the Hell is IUPUI and IPFW? Aw....never mind, you got the Bison in your league, right, and floods, and an Auto - Bid for bouncy ball, right? Sweet!

Mack Brown:" Now let's talk some football"

Bob Stoops: "We must have a bad connection Tom. I thought I heard you say The Summit doesn't have football"

Mack Brown: 'CLICK'

Bob Stoops: 'CLICK'

:lol: That was a great post!!!!! :lol:

Hockey is king, anyone that has ever travelled to the Frozen Four, the West Regional, or even the Final Five tournament understands the following of

UND Fighting Sioux Hockey, it's a respected even reverred program, same isn't even remotely true of NDSU any sport....Opposing fans know Fighting Sioux

hockey AND the winning tradition, same cannot be said for any other school or sport in ND.

When you go to the Final Five and the Frozen Four they are sold out!! There are fans from every WCHA team at the XCel even if their team isn't playing and that goes for the Frozen Four as well! College hockey fans love the game and pay big bucks to watch those games year after year.....

I don't believe that for a minute. Yes, there is no 100% guarantee that UND will be admitted if they wait until 11/30. There is also no guarantee if they change the name today, tomorrow, or next month. IMO, the only risk of waiting until 11/30 is a delay of one year...very, very little price to pay. If they change the name prior to 11/30 while SR is still working on the issue, then there will be problems for many, many years. It will be difficult enough to change the name if that has to happen come 11/30. There will be some that will never accept a change, but there will be far more that will not accept the change if they thought there was a chance to keep the name but UND and the State Board pulled the plug too early. This will be costly to UND, both in cost of making the change and loss of alumni $$. Make no mistake, pulling the plug early will result in a lot of ticked off people and this will result, I believe, in a significant drop in donations. If the State Board wishes to pull the plug early then the state should be ready to write a blank check to UND to cover any financial loss.

It is just not worth throwing in the towel on the Fighting Sioux nickname to gain access to a bottom feeder league one year earlier.

Based on the statements by Douple regarding the nickname I have no confidence in his ability to run a conference successfully longterm. I will be extemely surprised if there aren't major changes in the league membership over the next 5-10 years.

You may not believe it, but it is the harsh reality.

If UND decides to wait until November, there's at least a 50-50 chance that the Summit will move on without them and add Chicago State and Utah Valley.

That will leave UND without any opportunity to join an auto-bid league in the next 5-10 years, which will be far more financially devistating to the athletic department than changing the nickname "early". I doubt highly that any significant fall-out will occur from retiring the nickname, even in April after the ND Supreme Court has ruled against the SL group.

UND doesn't want any donations from such fair weather "fans" who would deny support over a nickname, anyway.

UND doesn't want any donations from such fair weather "fans" who would deny support over a nickname, anyway.

MplsBison...we really appreciate the concern for all of us that donate to UND. I know I don't speak for everyone, but I'd say the majoriy of us want this to play out.

When you go to the Final Five and the Frozen Four they are sold out!! There are fans from every WCHA team at the XCel even if their team isn't playing and that goes for the Frozen Four as well! College hockey fans love the game and pay big bucks to watch those games year after year.....

I love college hockey, but it's a niche sport with no more of a following than FCS football or NCAA baseball. Savvis Center in St.Louis was a morgue when we went, bought up nosebleeds for $10 and moved down to center ice lower bowl with no problem. And although they have a screw loose, NDSU football fans travel very well also.