SiouxSports.com Forum

Suite 49

siouxper_tex

I don't understand this at all. I would really like to see this place back in business. It was a great spot to go before hockey games, but who in the right mind is going to LEASE this place. I would assume someone would sign a lease for somewhere between 5-10 years. so they come in make this place profitable, build it up and then at the end of the lease be at the mercy of the owners. This just doesn't make sense to me to see someone come in and lease this place. If this place is going to be successful again the owners need to SELL, since they obviously don't want to run it themselves. If they didn't want to run a restaurant why did they build one?:)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand this at all. I would really like to see this place back in business. It was a great spot to go before hockey games, but who in the right mind is going to LEASE this place. I would assume someone would sign a lease for somewhere between 5-10 years. so they come in make this place profitable, build it up and then at the end of the lease be at the mercy of the owners. This just doesn't make sense to me to see someone come in and lease this place. If this place is going to be successful again the owners need to SELL, since they obviously don't want to run it themselves. If they didn't want to run a restaurant why did they build one?:)

Property managment can be more profitable than actually running the business that is inside. As stated in previous forms this bar & restaurant was ahead of its time. However I too would like to see it back business I have had some "good times" there.

A lot of restaurant buildings are leased. Leasing allows someone to get into business with a lot less cost. If someone wants to put a restaurant into that building they would have to come up with $3 or 4 million more to buy the building than they would if they just wanted to run a restaurant. A lot of restaurant owners don't want the headaches or the potential cost of owning a building. You're right that sometimes a building owner will get greedy and try to get a huge increase in rent at the end of the lease. Sometimes that results in restaurants closing even when they have been successful. And sometimes the building sits empty because the owner made a poor business decision. But a smart business owner and smart building owner will find a compromise that allows both of them to be successful.

My guess is that Suite 49 closed because it was losing money. Or it was pretty close to losing money. Either way it probably wasn't real successful. It was busy on hockey nights, but I think it was pretty quiet a lot of the time. I know I was there for lunch a couple of times and the building was pretty empty. Browns have done well for themselves in business and know how to run a successful business. But restaurants aren't their area of expertise. They know that it is going to be hard for someone to come in, buy the building, and try to run a successful restaurant. So leasing out the building is probably the best option for everyone involved unless someone comes forward with $5 million in cash to start up something new.

My guess is that Suite 49 closed because it was losing money. Or it was pretty close to losing money. Either way it probably wasn't real successful. It was busy on hockey nights, but I think it was pretty quiet a lot of the time. I know I was there for lunch a couple of times and the building was pretty empty. Browns have done well for themselves in business and know how to run a successful business. But restaurants aren't their area of expertise. They know that it is going to be hard for someone to come in, buy the building, and try to run a successful restaurant. So leasing out the building is probably the best option for everyone involved unless someone comes forward with $5 million in cash to start up something new.

With the building sitting empty, the Browns aren't pulling in anything on that property, and they have to pay UND rent regardless. By leasing, the capital costs go way down, and I would suspect with the building vacant for more than a year, that a very good deal could be had.

There had been rumors for some time that a hotel was going next door, and Suite 49 would have been the restaurant partner. But somehow the deal never was closed.

With the building sitting empty, the Browns aren't pulling in anything on that property, and they have to pay UND rent regardless. By leasing, the capital costs go way down, and I would suspect with the building vacant for more than a year, that a very good deal could be had.

There had been rumors for some time that a hotel was going next door, and Suite 49 would have been the restaurant partner. But somehow the deal never was closed.

There is also the possibility that they may not be able to sell the building for what they paid to build it. Leasing may give them a chance to recoup those costs.

The problem is that they put a high end sports bar and they should have made it more affordable and catered to the younger crowd. The thing is right on campus and could be a big time money maker, if I had the money I would love to run it. I was sad when it closed because the lavosh was awesome.

I hope that something opens up soon in it's place.

The problem is that they put a high end sports bar and they should have made it more affordable and catered to the younger crowd. The thing is right on campus and could be a big time money maker, if I had the money I would love to run it. I was sad when it closed because the lavosh was awesome.

It seemed like they targeted the business toward the hockey crowd and not the crowd that surrounded it the other 340 days a year.

It seemed like they targeted the business toward the hockey crowd and not the crowd that surrounded it the other 340 days a year.

That is what I am saying that place has a lot of potential and the college kids could be a market they didn't tap. Like I said I would love to

own it if I had the money.

How about a Whole Foods. A college campus would be a nice fit. I realize that GF probably doesn't fit the demographics for a full-size store, but they do have a store in Portland, Maine and one under construction in Burlington Vermont. North Dakota has proven itself to be somewhat recession-proof. I have seen some quite large stores and smaller ones. A smaller one on a college campus seems like a nice fit.

How about a Whole Foods. A college campus would be a nice fit. I realize that GF probably doesn't fit the demographics for a full-size store, but they do have a store in Portland, Maine and one under construction in Burlington Vermont. North Dakota has proven itself to be somewhat recession-proof. I have seen some quite large stores and smaller ones. A smaller one on a college campus seems like a nice fit.

GF doesn't seem liberal enough to buy into the organic and other related products a place like that would sell. If it was a good market, anywhere on the north side would be a horrible location. The population that MAY be interested in that would likely come more from the south side...other than a few of the students who would shop there. Students like to get out and about though, so going to the south side is no big deal for them whether it's to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy or someplace else.

I agree with Goon. Something that caters more to the students and their budget would make a more sensible fit. What that type of place may be is another thing. Something that caters towards the whole community of Grand Forks would likely be better served on the south side.

On a side note, I always thought a north side Wal-Mart would be a great business if you could franchise it...which you can't unfortunately (or I'd be doing it already!). This would assume you could put the north side Wal-Mart near the interstate.

1) It's closer to the AFB and those who come to town just for that type of shopping.

2) It's closer to some of the reservations and many surrounding rural communities who come to GF to shop.

3) It's closer to campus, students love going to Wal-Mart at all times of the day, especially at night. This is also a big deal for when students are moving in for the school year.

4) GF has the population to support two Wal-Marts. Where I live now, the population is nearly identical, and we support two Wal-Marts just fine.

5) It's the first big store Canadians would see on their way into town...which is why most come down to GF.

Wal-Mart is bad for local business, but that doesn't stop people from shopping there. Just like people prefer eating at crappy places like Applebee's over other locally owned joints.

Goon is absolutely right on this one. If they made if more affordable and catered to younger families and crowd they would have done much better. Also I felt the service at Suite 49 was horrible and really made it a turnoff not to go. This place could be packed on weekends the sioux are in town if they can get it right.

GF doesn't seem liberal enough to buy into the organic and other related products a place like that would sell. If it was a good market, anywhere on the north side would be a horrible location. The population that MAY be interested in that would likely come more from the south side...other than a few of the students who would shop there. Students like to get out and about though, so going to the south side is no big deal for them whether it's to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy or someplace else.

I agree with Goon. Something that caters more to the students and their budget would make a more sensible fit. What that type of place may be is another thing. Something that caters towards the whole community of Grand Forks would likely be better served on the south side.

The north side/south side thing cracks me up. Grand Forks is a 10 minute town. You can get anywhere you want in 10 minutes. We don't have a Whole Foods where I live, but when we visit relatives in Louisiana, my wife will drive across Lake Pontchartrain (24 mile bridge) just to go to Whole Foods.

As to Whole Foods being for liberals, we are anything but liberals, but we try to go organic/healthy whenever possible. Put something like this near college students and "they'll eat it up".

That is what I am saying that place has a lot of potential and the college kids could be a market they didn't tap. Like I said I would love to

own it if I had the money.

If you could use the business model that Frenchy's did in the 60's and 70's. Nothing fancy but great atmosphere with good service and just bar food. I can't believe it wouldn't be successful. I have never talked to anyone that didn't complain about the service at Suite 49.

If you could use the business model that Frenchy's did in the 60's and 70's. Nothing fancy but great atmosphere with good service and just bar food. I can't believe it wouldn't be successful. I have never talked to anyone that didn't complain about the service at Suite 49.

Times have changed. Code issues have allot to do with things now and as time goes by it gets harder to build to the new codes...look at Judy's. That thing wouldn't make it with new codes for parking seating etc. A big problem with S49 is that as was stated above...it's state of the art and cost to much to build. They wanted a martini bar when built and college kids can't afford $6 drinks. The busiest the place was (non hockey night) when it was St. Patty's day or a New Years. Otherwise it was pretty empty. I see the worst thing going now is that it's been closed for what 3 years now?? As places are unoccupied bad things happen as maintanance is deferred.

Times have changed. Code issues have allot to do with things now and as time goes by it gets harder to build to the new codes...look at Judy's. That thing wouldn't make it with new codes for parking seating etc. A big problem with S49 is that as was stated above...it's state of the art and cost to much to build. They wanted a martini bar when built and college kids can't afford $6 drinks. The busiest the place was (non hockey night) when it was St. Patty's day or a New Years. Otherwise it was pretty empty. I see the worst thing going now is that it's been closed for what 3 years now?? As places are unoccupied bad things happen as maintanance is deferred.

It was closed Dec. 07

It did have it's Nights in the local night scene. The problem was they were very cheap drink specials with games that gave away gift cert. or even small HDTVs. You need to do those things to build a top of mind awareness but it just didn't happen because as stated above, college kids and the Grand Forks Community doesn't want to support a $9 burger type of place( they were awsome though).

They also had large employee theft issues, in giving free drinks to their friends.

I can't recall Judy's being a big college hangout during my daze on campus. We'd usually be found at the Down Under, Sensations, Frenchy's, Whitey's, the Antique, the Spud, Stooges, Grigg's, Bonzer's and same weird bar on DeMers (whose name escapes me) where you could get your ass grabbed by some barfly, and into a fight in the same night.

I can't recall Judy's being a big college hangout during my daze on campus. We'd usually be found at the Down Under, Sensations, Frenchy's, Whitey's, the Antique, the Spud, Stooges, Grigg's, Bonzer's and same weird bar on DeMers (whose name escapes me) where you could get your ass grabbed by some barfly, and into a fight in the same night.

Scott, with that list I'm sure you and I ran into each other at some point. The Spud.... "35 centers" on Thursday nights and buck pitchers on Friday afternoons. Fun stuff.

Faces. :):D I was there during that era as well, and don't recall ever setting foot into Judy's.

I went to Judy's after college quite a few times. Sometimes we would go there during halftime and not make it back to the game. :)

I was around during that same general timeframe and agree about Judy's. I went there a couple of times, but it was more of a neighborhood hangout. I know that my Dad used to stop there for a beer when he had some time to kill in that part of town. I hung out at many of the places ScottM listed along with stopping at John Barleycorn in the mall after work.

Faces. :D;) I was there during that era as well, and don't recall ever setting foot into Judy's.

"Time to Face the Base!" as one of my buddies would sing, since it seemed to attract alot of Air Force people. The epitome of a "meat market".

I forgot about the Barleycorn. Wednesday Teas ... :):)

/Good times, indeed. ;)

The north side/south side thing cracks me up. Grand Forks is a 10 minute town. You can get anywhere you want in 10 minutes. We don't have a Whole Foods where I live, but when we visit relatives in Louisiana, my wife will drive across Lake Pontchartrain (24 mile bridge) just to go to Whole Foods.

As to Whole Foods being for liberals, we are anything but liberals, but we try to go organic/healthy whenever possible. Put something like this near college students and "they'll eat it up".

If you are so confident, why don't you start one? Heck, the loans to start the place should be no problem because you'll be raking in a ton of cash, right?

Right...

If you are so confident, why don't you start one? Heck, the loans to start the place should be no problem because you'll be raking in a ton of cash, right?

Right...

I will snap my fingers and make the corporate muckity-mucks at Whole Food make it so.

Darn. It didn't work.

Whole Food is a publicly traded company that makes corporate decisions on locations of where to place their stores. I can't just start one. :)