SiouxSports.com Forum

Suite 49

siouxper_tex

I think the Suite 49 location has a ton of potential with the college being within stumbling distance I believe it's untapped potential. I had a chance to go to Frenches when I first got here and they had some good food. Also, I can never figure out why Players closed, that place was petty fun to go to as well.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been to both Whole Foods and Trader Joes, and having been a college student.... I'm not sure they'll "eat it up."

What I remember for groceries was the old "Whatever's cheaper"

Whole Foods and especially Trader Joes were ANYTHING BUT cheap.

And my brother and his wife both are organic grocery shoppers in Seattle... I can't tell you what their monthly grocery bill is but it's not shopping at Hugos.

Having been to both Whole Foods and Trader Joes, and having been a college student.... I'm not sure they'll "eat it up."

What I remember for groceries was the old "Whatever's cheaper"

Whole Foods and especially Trader Joes were ANYTHING BUT cheap.

And my brother and his wife both are organic grocery shoppers in Seattle... I can't tell you what their monthly grocery bill is but it's not shopping at Hugos.

I will admit that they aren't the cheapest, but they do have some good deals and their deli has good meals at a reasonable price.

There has to be a reason that they have stores near college campuses.

"Time to Face the Base!" as one of my buddies would sing, since it seemed to attract alot of Air Force people. The epitome of a "meat market".

I forgot about the Barleycorn. Wednesday Teas ... :);)

/Good times, indeed. :D

They also had 2 tap beers, Michelob or Miller Light, for $1 every night from 10 until closing. I usually worked until 10 when I worked nights so we often stopped over for a couple of quick beers (or more).

I will admit that they aren't the cheapest, but they do have some good deals and their deli has good meals at a reasonable price.

There has to be a reason that they have stores near college campuses.

College faculty? That's a perfect target market for organic foods.

I will snap my fingers and make the corporate muckity-mucks at Whole Food make it so.

Darn. It didn't work.

Whole Food is a publicly traded company that makes corporate decisions on locations of where to place their stores. I can't just start one. :lol:

Who said it had to be a Whole Foods franchise? Why can't you start your own organic store?

These types of places are better served in metro areas and near the coasts, where a healthy lifestyle is more "in." I'm not saying it can't work, I just don't think it stands a chance in GF.

Who said it had to be a Whole Foods franchise? Why can't you start your own organic store?

These types of places are better served in metro areas and near the coasts, where a healthy lifestyle is more "in." I'm not saying it can't work, I just don't think it stands a chance in GF.

I'm pretty sure there is already an organic store in Grand Forks that has been in business for several years, Amazing Grains. They seem to do a pretty good business. But a lot of people don't go there because of the location downtown. I don't know if there is enough business available to support a 2nd store or not, but something near UND might be a good location.

:lol:

The reason that I suggested Whole Foods to begin with is because they are national name with good products and services. Jay's Foods doesn't have the same vibe.

:lol:

The reason that I suggested Whole Foods to begin with is because they are national name with good products and services. Jay's Foods doesn't have the same vibe.

I think they should go with a name like...

Holly's Hippie Food Emporium.

Their slogan? Our Food gets you close enough to hug your inner tree.

I was actually pursuing my Entrepreneur Certificate from UND (until a significant matter came up with scheduling and me not wanting to stick around for another year and a half to finish the two classes needed to finish the certificate and get my degree), and in one of my classes involved starting a fictional business in Grand Forks complete with business plans and financial information related to it. It was a three person project, and one of my partners was a girl from Seattle who lives solely off of organic based products. The other partner wasn't such an advocate, but was very interested in the subject, and ultimately, I went along with the proposal of an organic store in Grand Forks.

Ultimately, by the end of our research, we all knew it wouldn't work in Grand Forks, and if it DID, it wouldn't work on the north side. The downtown location (forget the name of the business...Amazing Grains or something) has a limited variety of products, but actually does quite well. An entire store involving a multitude of products and groceries would likely only be best served on the south side, if it were to survive at all. We actually received a lot of good financial information from Amazing Grains(?) and other stores in larger cities whom the girl had a connection to, but ultimately it would be a smart decision not to take the risk of starting such a place in the Suite 49 location.

I was actually pursuing my Entrepreneur Certificate from UND (until a significant matter came up with scheduling and me not wanting to stick around for another year and a half to finish the two classes needed to finish the certificate and get my degree), and in one of my classes involved starting a fictional business in Grand Forks complete with business plans and financial information related to it. It was a three person project, and one of my partners was a girl from Seattle who lives solely off of organic based products. The other partner wasn't such an advocate, but was very interested in the subject, and ultimately, I went along with the proposal of an organic store in Grand Forks.

Ultimately, by the end of our research, we all knew it wouldn't work in Grand Forks, and if it DID, it wouldn't work on the north side. The downtown location (forget the name of the business...Amazing Grains or something) has a limited variety of products, but actually does quite well. An entire store involving a multitude of products and groceries would likely only be best served on the south side, if it were to survive at all. We actually received a lot of good financial information from Amazing Grains(?) and other stores in larger cities whom the girl had a connection to, but ultimately it would be a smart decision not to take the risk of starting such a place in the Suite 49 location.

Interesting, but wouldn't that have been a better argument here, here or here. :lol:

Insert stereotype here. :lol:

I just saw in the paper the other day that they did apply to keep their liquor license. That is good news.

Does GF have a limited number of full liquor licenses like Fargo? I've heard there are so few Class A licenses down here that the license can be worth more than the building in a sale.

Does GF have a limited number of full liquor licenses like Fargo? I've heard there are so few Class A licenses down here that the license can be worth more than the building in a sale.

I believe that Grand Forks does limit the number of license, although I think they expanded the number a few years ago. A new license can cost up to approximately $67,000, depending on which license you need. Most renewals are $1-4,000 per year. I don't know what a transferred license is going for these days.

Has anyone ever heard the expression, "The only one to make money in the hotel business is the third owner"? Meaning, the first two sell the property at a loss and then the third owner can cash flow the debt. I wonder if this may be the situation with this property.

Has anyone ever heard the expression, "The only one to make money in the hotel business is the third owner"? Meaning, the first two sell the property at a loss and then the third owner can cash flow the debt. I wonder if this may be the situation with this property.

The same thing has been said about restaurants in general over the years so it wouldn't surprise me.

Heard yesterday that Norman is involved in the prospective restaurant....he's the same person with Players and a few others along the way. We'll see if it turns out to be true.

Wasn't Players (and Toppers, Village Inn's) John Borman(sp)? Is that who you mean?

Wasn't Players (and Toppers, Village Inn's) John Borman(sp)? Is that who you mean?

You are right about John Borman (I don't remember if that is the proper spelling). Dave Norman used to own KCNN radio and then I think he had a restaurant down in the Detroit Lakes area (or someplace down in that region).

You are right about John Borman (I don't remember if that is the proper spelling). Dave Norman used to own KCNN radio and then I think he had a restaurant down in the Detroit Lakes area (or someplace down in that region).

Fireside Restaurant I think... it's now closed.

David Norman happens to be the owner and chef at Norman's Fine Steakhouse in Fargo and he used to own Fireside so....

Fireside Restaurant I think... it's now closed.

David Norman happens to be the owner and chef at Norman's Fine Steakhouse in Fargo and he used to own Fireside so....

The Fireside was a great place until Dave got involved. The paychecks he wrote there bounced. If Brown is smart he will stay away from any deal with Dave. He may pretend to be a chef but he is not. Dave is like TJ Oshies dad, stiff anyone that they can.