SiouxSports.com Forum

Suite 49

siouxper_tex

Normie sold the Fireside to the people that own, among other things, Zorbas. The Fireside always closes in the winter and opens around Mother's day.

The problem with Suite 49 is that is was doomed from the start. They had a major identity crisis going, trying to be everything to everyone. The first time I went there (during the WJC's) you could see that people were there mostly to pay zero to park instead of $1,100 (it was later switched to $10 to park and get a $10 voucher to spend on beer - a really profitable strategy).

I'm pretty sure (but I don't know for a fact) that the Brown's were trying to get that part of the Englestad complex kicked off and had hoped their investment would attract others to invest too. And that is what community builders do and I give them credit for trying. But, these guys apparently didn't think it through. People would get there at 5:00 and nurse a beer until fifteen minutes before game time and they leave and maybe have one after the game since there car was parked there and they had a free beer coming, etc.

In a restaurant, you have to be hot (meaning you can't be someone else), you have to have a decent location and you have to turn tables. Bar food in an obscure location away from traffic (except for Sioux hockey traffic) turning one table per night four nights per month, six months a year is not going to pay for the totally upscale fixtures, etc. No way in hell.

People in GF will drive downtown to Sanders and the Toasted Frog. They have upscale dining and are places people want to go to be seen out on the town. Switch to upscale dining (I question whether GF can have another but it's the only real alternative) and make it the primary reason to be there, eliminate hockey parking (thereby eliminating that as the primary reason to go there), and make it a place to be seen and it'll run. That's what Normie was able to do in Fargo at a failed, but expensive location. That won't satisfy the people who want to park for free and have a few beers before or after the game, but we've already seen that concept fail here and it won't keep it going. There are all kinds of other $2 beer joints where they can ride the fun bus.

Fireside was bought by Tom Hanson the guy who owns Zorbaz. Might be working contract for deed with one of his employees, to buy it from him, but it is doing fine and the food is great., It is open year round and the prices are lower than when Norman was running it. Ate at Dolittles in Fargo last night on the way to the hockey game and had great food at very reasonable price. They were packed. With TV's available in half the restaurant that might be good format for Suite 49.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ain't going to be Norman. That deal fell through, and the owners of Big D's in Fargo are now the bidders. In case you're unfamiliar with Big D's(most of Fargo is from the state of their parking lot), they're a bar and grill that has live music in the evenings fairly often. It's near West Acres on 42nd Street, just south of BWW and across the street(and a bit north) from Granite City. The building started life as a Country Harvest Buffet before becoming a Mexican place. Big D's has also been in trouble from time to time because of their liquor license. They're required to have over 50% of their sales be food, and they've had problems keeping to that.

Fargo investment company to buy Suite 49

Ain't going to be Norman. That deal fell through, and the owners of Big D's in Fargo are now the bidders. In case you're unfamiliar with Big D's(most of Fargo is from the state of their parking lot), they're a bar and grill that has live music in the evenings fairly often. It's near West Acres on 42nd Street, just south of BWW and across the street(and a bit north) from Granite City. The building started life as a Country Harvest Buffet before becoming a Mexican place. Big D's has also been in trouble from time to time because of their liquor license. They're required to have over 50% of their sales be food, and they've had problems keeping to that.

They have a lot more than just Big D

Leslie (and his brother) in some capacity was very involved in the Extreme Home Makeover house that was built in Minot a few years back.

Also, his family owns the Ramada Plaza Suites, if no one knew that already.

They were also involved in the All Star house.

THey manage the group that owns the Ramada, they do have stake in it but there are others as well.

Yes but two for ones all the time and Triple up for a buck from 9-11, in a decent bar is a great thing. :glare:

• 2 months later...

So, any thoughts on the recent sale of Whitey's? At first glance I would say the new owners are overestimating the market. Very simply, selling prime grade beef in the GF/EGF market is a tough sale. In my opinion, the menu prices will simply be too high.

Of course, I'm assuming their plans are to offer prime beef.

So, any thoughts on the recent sale of Whitey's? At first glance I would say the new owners are overestimating the market. Very simply, selling prime grade beef in the GF/EGF market is a tough sale. In my opinion, the menu prices will simply be too high.

Of course, I'm assuming their plans are to offer prime beef.

Norman's Steakhouse is still open in Fargo (last time I checked anyways) so...

If they can manage to keep their doors open, then Whiteys has a shot.

So what? Plenty of businesses in Grand Forks make a lot of money. You can't make an assumption based on a single comparison.

Oh you can make the assumption but it doesn't make it right. Whitey's is a landmark - it doesn't seem to have the "pop" as it did before the flood.

Oh you can make the assumption but it doesn't make it right. Whitey's is a landmark - it doesn't seem to have the "pop" as it did before the flood.

Whitey's was the place to be when I lived in GF. I still like to go there when I'm back in town, but you are right, it doesn't have that "pop". The atmosphere of the old Whitey's is sadly just a memory.