Fighting Sioux vs Gophers

AZSIOUX

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's fine. Trust me.

He was sick for the exhibition but is feeling much better right now and will be starting.

Another thing, you talk about not living in the past, how it means nothing...also, you say how lame it is Sioux fans bring up the Holy Cross debacle. Why then, do you have a UNH guy celebrating a win over UND as your avatar?

Another thing, you talk about not living in the past, how it means nothing...also, you say how lame it is Sioux fans bring up the Holy Cross debacle. Why then, do you have a UNH guy celebrating a win over UND as your avatar?

Oh, looks like you were Pwnd Gopherz and we are waiting for your answer. By the way at least our team made the tourney last season.

I just thought it was a cool picture :)

The Gopher fans that I have talked to this year are not hopeful, and see the Gophers as a middle of the pack team. As for Kangas, he is an enormous question mark right now. From the Sioux series on last year he was a living nightmare. Yes, the defense left him out to dry a few times, but he also totally blew some very easy shots which likely torched his confidence severely. The Michigan Tech series was a prime example of very soft goals. Once Jeff Frazee became a head case, it was like a flaming fireball rolling downhill. Kangas could go the same way or he could recover. Two years ago Kangas saved the Gopher season to the extent that he could, but if you watch the video he was not doing anything fantastic. He was simply playing very good position and he has good size so he covers a lot of the net. I believe that last year teams figured out that he does not have great lateral speed, nor does he flash the great glove. Get him a little out of position and he is at best average.

Finally, one really has to wonder about Lucia's coaching/handling of goalies and whether that is part of the problem. But I am only speculating on this part.

Unless the Gopher D is significantly improved this year, they will again leave him hanging and he will again have confidence challenges. For years the Gopher defense has consisted of a high powered offense. They would get the opponent reeling and then pour it on. Their offense has sputtered the past couple of years and really exposed the defensive side of their game.

How big of an advantage is it for UND to have played 2 real games versus O for MN? It can't be a disadvantage.

I can see this two ways. Either it's good that the Sioux have some games under their belt and the gophers might not be quite ready for D1 competition, or possibly the young Sioux team will have gotten a poor example of and not be ready for the kind of hockey they'll face in the WCHA and be a little shell-shocked at the increased talent level that will be coming at them.

Still, I'd probably be happier having a couple games under my belt and feeling there's a little rust kicked out of the gears.

I can see this two ways. Either it's good that the Sioux have some games under their belt and the gophers might not be quite ready for D1 competition, or possibly the young Sioux team will have gotten a poor example of and not be ready for the kind of hockey they'll face in the WCHA and be a little shell-shocked at the increased talent level that will be coming at them.

Still, I'd probably be happier having a couple games under my belt and feeling there's a little rust kicked out of the gears.

I am so glad they got 2 games in.After watching their powerplay over the weekend they will need to work on that.I think the freshies got as taste of DI speed a bit with Merrimack.Granted they weren't speed demons by any stretch of the imagination but it's an upgrade of what they were accustomed to.

He's fine. Trust me.

He was sick for the exhibition but is feeling much better right now and will be starting.

He could be quite ill...perhaps a transfusion?

One big Unit of Blood, coming right up!

Ahh...just what the doctor ordered.

GO SIOUX!!!

I am so glad they got 2 games in.After watching their powerplay over the weekend they will need to work on that.I think the freshies got as taste of DI speed a bit with Merrimack.Granted they weren't speed demons by any stretch of the imagination but it's an upgrade of what they were accustomed to.

Completely agree. IMO, definitely a dumb move for the gophers to start out on the road against UND without any games before conference play. I'm excited to see the test of playing some skill and see how our young team responds. We looked good for the most part against Merrimack, but against the gophers it'll be interesting to see how all 4 lines responds. With the energy level at the ralph, I'm sure the freshies can pull it together.

Completely agree. IMO, definitely a dumb move for the gophers to start out on the road against UND without any games before conference play. I'm excited to see the test of playing some skill and see how our young team responds. We looked good for the most part against Merrimack, but against the gophers it'll be interesting to see how all 4 lines responds. With the energy level at the ralph, I'm sure the freshies can pull it together.

If you can say this in about a week, I will be happy.

Unless the Gopher D is significantly improved this year, they will again leave him hanging and he will again have confidence challenges. For years the Gopher defense has consisted of a high powered offense. They would get the opponent reeling and then pour it on. Their offense has sputtered the past couple of years and really exposed the defensive side of their game.

Kevin Wehrs has been a two year regular on the blue line and he will barely see the ice this year so that's an indication of the improvement on defense.

Kevin Wehrs has been a two year regular on the blue line and he will barely see the ice this year so that's an indication of the improvement on defense.

+1

Leddy should be a huge improvement over anyone on the roster, he played 1st line D in the exhibition and looked great

Hegeleson will be a bit help too

+1

Leddy should be a huge improvement over anyone on the roster, he played 1st line D in the exhibition and looked great

Hegeleson will be a bit help too

That maybe the case but they are freshmen with one exhibtion game against a poor CIS team and I stil expect your defense to give up a lot of chances.

I am pretty sure that Kangas was only pulled twice last year...once each game. Cheverie was the one pulled twice in one game.

The Fighting Sioux lit up a lot better goal tenders than Alex Kangas, lets not forget the overhyped Ben Scrivens from Cornell as well.

lets fast forward til friday..................

go sioux and hit these guys every chance possible on our ice

JUST A REMINDER TO ALL FANS GOING TO THE GAMES - wear white shirt - sweatshirt - jersey

WHITE THE RALPH OUT!!!