SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs Gophers

AZSIOUX

I think he'll be fine. He hit two posts on the weekend, he just needs to shoot a couple cm over a bit. :)

One thing that I took from the Merrimack series is how impressive our freshmen class is playing. None of them looked out of place out there, and many of them excelled beyond what I was expecting. That's a great sign for this season if they can keep that up.

I also thought MC had some good defense and goaltending.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he'll be fine. He hit two posts on the weekend, he just needs to shoot a couple cm over a bit. :)

One thing that I took from the Merrimack series is how impressive our freshmen class is playing. None of them looked out of place out there, and many of them excelled beyond what I was expecting. That's a great sign for this season if they can keep that up.

I think so too. I posted somewhere else that his little toe drag move to find a shooting lane followed by a rocket wrister off the crossbar was reminiscent of a couple guys I remember with inverse initials TJ JT.

The freshmen did not play like freshmen. That 4th line makes us so unbelievably deep. We can actually compete for goals with our fourth line forwards and top dpairing going against other teams top scoring line and be successful.

I also thought MC had some good defense and goaltending.

Experienced team that plays a defensive system looking for opportunities. They reminded me a lot of Wisconsin without some of the top-end talent that Wisconsin usually has.

Well coached, good forecheck, cut off the passing lanes.

I think our breakout is so designed for timing passes to move throught hte neutral zone in numbers and with speed, that when those passing lanes get disrupted we get a little flustered. We need to just relax and skate the puck up. Beat one guy then skate towards a defender making him play you, then make the pass to the guy he leaves. That's how yu beat that type of forecheck. Beat your guy first, then make the pass, as opposed to pass first then make the guy you've fed have to beat somebody. Find lanes!

This weekend, the Gophs will not trap, it will be run and gun and should be a blast!

Gopherz has a point and so does brianvf.

Last year, the Gopher Team D was among the worst in the league... probably THE worst in the league if you took MTU and UAA out of the WCHA.

They are what Lucia coaches them: a puck possession, puck movement team. They are finesse through and through. You give the Gophers enough time in your defensive zone and they WILL score. However, you play physical and keep them out of your defensive zone, they will inevitably screw up and you'll score.

Let's do a racing analogy shall we?

The Gophers are like a dragster. Sleek, fast, sharp llines, somewhat ugly looking (:)). The Sioux are like one of those rally racers. The Gophers can outspeed and outfinesse anyone over short distances, but one misfire and they're just blowing smoke or careening all over the arena in an ugly fireball. The Sioux can speed along with the best of them, but they are more rugged and can dish out punishment physically. If they have a blow out, they take time to recover (which can burn them badly) but they will recover. I've yet to see a dragster blow a tire mid race and recover to win.

The Sioux blew a tire with 8 minutes left in the first period on Friday and came back to win.

The analogy is horrible, but it makes sense to me, and that's all that matters. :)

Gopherz has a point and so does brianvf.

Last year, the Gopher Team D was among the worst in the league... probably THE worst in the league if you took MTU and UAA out of the WCHA.

They are what Lucia coaches them: a puck possession, puck movement team. They are finesse through and through. You give the Gophers enough time in your defensive zone and they WILL score. However, you play physical and keep them out of your defensive zone, they will inevitably screw up and you'll score.

The Gophers are like a dragster. Sleek, fast, sharp llines, somewhat ugly looking (:)). The Sioux are like one of those rally racers. The Gophers can outspeed and outfinesse anyone over short distances, but one misfire and they're just blowing smoke or careening all over the arena in an ugly fireball. The Sioux can speed along with the best of them, but they are more rugged and can dish out punishment physically. If they have a blow out, they take time to recover (which can burn them badly) but they will recover. I've yet to see a dragster blow a tire mid race and recover to win.

The Sioux blew a tire with 8 minutes left in the first period on Friday and came back to win.

The analogy is horrible, but it makes sense to me, and that's all that matters. :)

Good analogy.

I am partial to World of Outlaws and NASCAR. :)

I am partial to World of Outlaws and NASCAR. :)

You must be drunk a lot then. That's the only way I can imagine actually enjoying racing that's longer than one lap.

As for rally races, they're always racing to get somewhere, be it across the desert or up Pike's Peak, and so on. NASCAR and WoO is just going around in a circle. :)

You must be drunk a lot then. That's the only way I can imagine actually enjoying racing that's longer than one lap.

As for rally races, they're always racing to get somewhere, be it across the desert or up Pike's Peak, and so on. NASCAR and WoO is just going around in a circle. :)

No not really. WoO came to Grand Forks Twice this summer and I saw them in Fargo as well. Great racing. Just happens to be something I enjoy. I think I am one of the only guys that has had his wife fall asleep in a WoO race though.

No not really. WoO came to Grand Forks Twice this summer and I saw them in Fargo as well. Great racing. Just happens to be something I enjoy. I think I am one of the only guys that has had his wife fall asleep in a WoO race though.

No, nothing boring about 40 cars driving in a circle for 2+ hours (NASCAR) or whatever for WoO. :)

According to the USCHO boxscore, Kangas didn't play in the exhibition game. His presumed start in GF on friday will be his first action between the pipes this season...

He's fine. Trust me.

He was sick for the exhibition but is feeling much better right now and will be starting.