SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL Draft

USA Hockey

How different was college hockey then? Teams need a little star power these days to have a chance at that title.

way different in many ways. hell michigan always has top round picks every year and they cant even get to the frozen 4, it took BU forever to get there again and they finally won one. its so different and either way works really but you need a mix of top end guys + role players. not just 20 blue chippers skatign around. it doesnt work that way in any sport

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest word was that Forney is still deciding.

Regarding the draft and WCHA rivals, it would seem naive to assume everything is "fine" and our recruits are as good as anyone's, since, after all, the NHL scout's jobs are to identify the best hockey players. They are, however, trying to project who will have the skillset to eventually play in the NHL as men. I wonder if the key missing feature in some of UND's current and future players is a world-class level of athleticism. Unless you're a pitcher in baseball, you pretty much have to be blessed with remarkable athleticism (speed, strength, reflexes), to be a professional athlete at the highest level. No matter how special Duncan is in so many ways, he most likely just simply won't have the speed and strength to play in the NHL. The electric speed is what got Kristo drafted in the second round. If you looked at the recent USHL season, Cichy was miles better than Josh Birkholz at Fargo, but Birkholz, despite reportedly not being very coachable or a great teammate, also has the breathtaking speed and was picked high, while Cichy barely got picked in his second eligible year.

What will it mean for UND in the future? When the Sioux were young and talented in the past, they often had trouble with older teams like Mankato and Tech. What would happen if you built a team like that, but used more talented building blocks? I think that's what we're going to see.

It may be naivete, but I really like this year's team. Last year's top two lines at year-end (Vandy, Frattin, Malone and Duncan, Hextall, Gregoire), were hard to handle, and only Duncan is gone. Other forwards who showed some real ability are back (Zajac, Trupp, Mario), and the team adds three guys who should be power-play type players (Kristo, Cichy and Toews). As AZ has said, the depth should be great, maybe as good as we've seen since 1999. Four lines, which should balance out the icetime and hopefully keep everyone fresh and perhaps healthy.

The entire freshman class played at least one extra year of junior hockey, so they will be physically mature and ready to step in.

The key question for me (and it's a big one) is whether Blood, Finehage, LaPoint (health) and MacWilliam are all ready to play against good players.

Latest word was that Forney is still deciding.

Regarding the draft and WCHA rivals, it would seem naive to assume everything is "fine" and our recruits are as good as anyone's, since, after all, the NHL scout's jobs are to identify the best hockey players. They are, however, trying to project who will have the skillset to eventually play in the NHL as men. I wonder if the key missing feature in some of UND's current and future players is a world-class level of athleticism. Unless you're a pitcher in baseball, you pretty much have to be blessed with remarkable athleticism (speed, strength, reflexes), to be a professional athlete at the highest level. No matter how special Duncan is in so many ways, he most likely just simply won't have the speed and strength to play in the NHL. The electric speed is what got Kristo drafted in the second round. If you looked at the recent USHL season, Cichy was miles better than Josh Birkholz at Fargo, but Birkholz, despite reportedly not being very coachable or a great teammate, also has the breathtaking speed and was picked high, while Cichy barely got picked in his second eligible year.

What will it mean for UND in the future? When the Sioux were young and talented in the past, they often had trouble with older teams like Mankato and Tech. What would happen if you built a team like that, but used more talented building blocks? I think that's what we're going to see.

It may be naivete, but I really like this year's team. Last year's top two lines at year-end (Vandy, Frattin, Malone and Duncan, Hextall, Gregoire), were hard to handle, and only Duncan is gone. Other forwards who showed some real ability are back (Zajac, Trupp, Mario), and the team adds three guys who should be power-play type players (Kristo, Cichy and Toews). As AZ has said, the depth should be great, maybe as good as we've seen since 1999. Four lines, which should balance out the icetime and hopefully keep everyone fresh and perhaps healthy.

The entire freshman class played at least one extra year of junior hockey, so they will be physically mature and ready to step in.

The key question for me (and it's a big one) is whether Blood, Finehage, LaPoint (health) and MacWilliam are all ready to play against good players.

You're absolutely right with the Birkholz-Cichy comparison. Just because a player may be good at the junior and college level doesn't mean that he fits an NHL style player. Like I said, I like Cichy but he doesn't have much size and speed which is what is needed at the NHL level. I think you're right in terms of what we might see in the future with the Sioux teams in the sense that these teams won't have the blue chip prospects on them.

way different in many ways. hell michigan always has top round picks every year and they cant even get to the frozen 4, it took BU forever to get there again and they finally won one. its so different and either way works really but you need a mix of top end guys + role players. not just 20 blue chippers skatign around. it doesnt work that way in any sport

I didn't say that if you had those types of players you are guaranteed a spot in the title game. I said that it seems like you need a couple of those guys to put you over the top when you do get there. Different thinking.

I didn't say that if you had those types of players you are guaranteed a spot in the title game. I said that it seems like you need a couple of those guys to put you over the top when you do get there. Different thinking.

and i agree, i wasnt countering what you were saying. i agree 100%. just was saying what some think is the reason you should win it all isnt having all blue chippers

OK, I am going to be debbie downer and pessimistic on Danny Mattson.

I suspect a major physical issue as the reason behind Mattson not being drafted. A lot of guys don't get drafted, but not many guys who put up his kinda numbers (not just this year, but for a career) are evaluated as a mid-50's by central scouting, and invited to the combine don't go in the draft.

Size and competition are what had him pegged where he was. None of that was a surprise. ANd even if he was weaker or slower than they thought, he couldn't have been so weak or so slow that noone wanted him. That's the kicker. Nobody drafted him. That means something came up that every team knew about. That tells me combine, and that tells me it is probably physical.

At the end of the day the GM's are evaluating horses...

For Danny's sake, I hope I am wrong. I am sure it was a God Awful weekend for him not to get a phone call. My thoughts go out to him, and I hope it is just a hockey issue.

OK, I am going to be debbie downer and pessimistic on Danny Mattson.

I suspect a major physical issue as the reason behind Mattson not being drafted. A lot of guys don't get drafted, but not many guys who put up his kinda numbers (not just this year, but for a career) are evaluated as a mid-50's by central scouting, and invited to the combine don't go in the draft.

Size and competition are what had him pegged where he was. None of that was a surprise. ANd even if he was weaker or slower than they thought, he couldn't have been so weak or so slow that noone wanted him. That's the kicker. Nobody drafted him. That means something came up that every team knew about. That tells me combine, and that tells me it is probably physical.

At the end of the day the GM's are evaluating horses...

For Danny's sake, I hope I am wrong. I am sure it was a God Awful weekend for him not to get a phone call. My thoughts go out to him, and I hope it is just a hockey issue.

Maybe.

But Cichy was drafted this year after being passed over in his first year of eligibility. So was Brian Salcido.

So it's not over and done with by any means.

Also, as per Brad's blog: The last time the Sioux did not have a first round draft pick on their team was 1999-2000. The results? Think about it.

Also, as per Brad's blog: The last time the Sioux did not have a first round draft pick on their team was 1999-2000. The results? Think about it.

Every year we come up with a way to justify a repeat of a past championship season... :)

I suspect a major physical issue as the reason behind Mattson not being drafted.

If by physical issue you mean injury or health, I don't think that's it. If you mean size and whether his frame projects to an NHL body, that might be it. I think he's getting ready for Omaha and needs to have the attitude Cichy had last year: what's wrong with my game and how can I fix it? It's a big year for him. I think his coach at Omaha will be Bliss Littler, who is respected. (Littler's high school coach will be joining him in Omaha, as he played hockey in Minot at about the time Blais was coaching there. I know because Blais was my ninth-grade phy-ed teacher at Minot High.)

for whatever reason, pro drafts are always interesting to me, and i was curious, so i was comparing the nhl draft classes over the last 10 years, and it is pretty interesting to see where they sit today. here's a question, what is the best draft class in the last 10 years?

a couple of things jumped out at me... 1. there are ALOT of first and second round guys who may never see significant NHL playing time, 2. if you draft a european it takes significantly longer to get him in an NHL uniform (if ever), and 3. statistically... if you are a first or second round draft pick who played for the goofers, it's an uphill skate :angry: (i say that in jest, but it's not entirely untrue)

i'll take 2003 as my best in the last decade, even though there wasn't as much "superstar" power in the top five picks like there are most years... eric staal at two is a dude... then throw in parise at 17, getzlaf at 19 and mike richards at 24... not too shabby (i bet most teams picks 16 and up would take any of the three over their pick).

then there is the 1999 draft, wow... for whatever reason, that draft seems to have been loaded with busts (although vancouver snagged the sedins with the #2 and #3 picks).

i did only look at the first couple of rounds each year, and an argument can be made for quite a few of the other draft classes (and some of the most recent ones we won't really know for a few years yet).

damn the offseason gets boring :)

I wonder if the Wild picks will pan out.

Hey, anyone know enough of pro opinions to be able to explain why Haula went in the seventh round?

I thought he'd crack the top 5 rounds for sure. I don't think he was first round or even second round material, but I thought perhaps he'd go in the 4th or 5th rounds.

Another thing is that, if you make a big deal out of drafts as a measure of talent, then perhaps UND got a steal in Rodwell. Going from an unknown to a 5th round pick.

Better that then the delusions Cubs fans go through.

Every year "could be the year." :)

hey now. I'm a cubs fan and know that no year will ever be the year. this was supposed to be the year and they are a team full of lunatics who couldn't get a clutch hit if they were hitting off a tee, have an overpaid ace of the staff who should be in a psychiatric ward and a pair of "closers" who can't throw a strike and have walked in more runs that they have saves.

Several questions come to mind-

Are we getting beaten to the blue chippers? For now, the answer appears to be yes - We haven't had a first round pick in how long. Other teams seem to be picking them up. We have the facilities and program to compete with anyone. We should be getting our share or more. We used to be the program many sure-fire NHL prospects picked.

Is this by design? Did we get who we want - are we confident that we have some great "under the radar" kids? Hard to say. At this point, coaches are reluctant to admit that we didn't get the players we were after and imply that they are not happy with who we have. Same with many Sioux fans. No one wants to put our class down. We do have some nice players comming in, which brings us to question 3 -

Do we have what it takes to go all the way? I'm not sure - time will tell. Many posters seem very optimistic - however, almost no one else in the hockey community sees what we do. It would be nice to show them. I see some nice things on this team - good competition at goalie, 4 line that can score - and some question marks - defense, another slow start, can we get that hard nosed attitude? We have a lot of underclassmen who need to take that next step up. Regardless of how many posters have made high draft choices sound iffy, we would be a better team with a Parise, Toews, or Oshie or even a Schroeder. For me, the future is now. I would be happier with some blue chippers coming in. It's been long enough.

Several questions come to mind-

Are we getting beaten to the blue chippers? For now, the answer appears to be yes - We haven't had a first round pick in how long. Other teams seem to be picking them up. We have the facilities and program to compete with anyone. We should be getting our share or more. We used to be the program many sure-fire NHL prospects picked.

Is this by design? Did we get who we want - are we confident that we have some great "under the radar" kids? Hard to say. At this point, coaches are reluctant to admit that we didn't get the players we were after and imply that they are not happy with who we have. Same with many Sioux fans. No one wants to put our class down. We do have some nice players comming in, which brings us to question 3 -

Do we have what it takes to go all the way? I'm not sure - time will tell. Many posters seem very optimistic - however, almost no one else in the hockey community sees what we do. It would be nice to show them. I see some nice things on this team - good competition at goalie, 4 line that can score - and some question marks - defense, another slow start, can we get that hard nosed attitude? We have a lot of underclassmen who need to take that next step up. Regardless of how many posters have made high draft choices sound iffy, we would be a better team with a Parise, Toews, or Oshie or even a Schroeder. For me, the future is now. I would be happier with some blue chippers coming in. It's been long enough.

I'm with you. I expect this team to be good, but not championship worthy. If we couldn't win a title 2006 or 2007, it'll be tough to convince me before the season starts that each year is going to be "the year."

I'm with you. I expect this team to be good, but not championship worthy. If we couldn't win a title 2006 or 2007, it'll be tough to convince me before the season starts that each year is going to be "the year."

I don't expect this years team to be championship worthy either. I realize it's a ways off, but I would say that 2010-2011 is shaping up to be a much better team. To win a championship there needs to be a mix of skill and experience and I would say that 2010-2011 looks to be that way.

we also didn't win in 2004 with what many consider to be the best team in the last 7-8 years. preseason labels of championship worthy mean nothing-look at cc and bc last year. I expect this team to challenge for a top 3 spot int he wcha,make the final 5 and make the big dance. and once you make the big dance anything can happen. I firmly believe this years team will be better than last years-does it mean they'll win the wcha-no. but I believe once the freshman find their legs in the second half we will be playing longer than we did last year.

College hockey is goofy. The last two championship teams were not nearly as talented as some of the non-championship teams. I believe that scoring depth, a lock-down checking line, and a strong PK are the most important aspects.

Top notch college players don't produce at the same level as top NHL players. An elite college player can put up better NHL numbers. That's why it is so critical to have the 3rd and 4th lines chip in 25 goals. The top college scorers light it up on the PP, not so much at even strengh.

Rolling 4 solid lines is key. If you have a checking line that neutralizes the other team's top line ES you have a huge advantage. Not letting the other teams elite players score on the PP is critical.

Most teams have a talented first line. Not everyone has Henderson-Calder-Ulmer to completely shut them down.

I like the way the team is shaping up. I think the components are there. I just hope that a couple guys step up and say, "I want to be on the ice against Schroeder, and there is no f'n way he is getting on the scoresheet while I'm on the ice." If our 3 can batter their 1, I like our chances of rolling our 1,2,4 against their 2,3,4

College hockey is goofy. The last two championship teams were not nearly as talented as some of the non-championship teams. I believe that scoring depth, a lock-down checking line, and a strong PK are the most important aspects.

Top notch college players don't produce at the same level as top NHL players. An elite college player can put up better NHL numbers. That's why it is so critical to have the 3rd and 4th lines chip in 25 goals. The top college scorers light it up on the PP, not so much at even strengh.

Rolling 4 solid lines is key. If you have a checking line that neutralizes the other team's top line ES you have a huge advantage. Not letting the other teams elite players score on the PP is critical.

Most teams have a talented first line. Not everyone has Henderson-Calder-Ulmer to completely shut them down.

I like the way the team is shaping up. I think the components are there. I just hope that a couple guys step up and say, "I want to be on the ice against Schroeder, and there is no f'n way he is getting on the scoresheet while I'm on the ice." If our 3 can batter their 1, I like our chances of rolling our 1,2,4 against their 2,3,4

Completely agree with most of what you said, well put sir. However, I think that BU was the most talented team this season. (Wilson, Shattenkirk, etc.)

It would be hilarious if Vancouver signed Schroeder early and took him away from the goofs. The way Vancouver feels about Minnesota and likewise, I could seem them doing something like that. :)

I don't expect this years team to be championship worthy either. I realize it's a ways off, but I would say that 2010-2011 is shaping up to be a much better team. To win a championship there needs to be a mix of skill and experience and I would say that 2010-2011 looks to be that way.

I think UND will have a lot of balance needed to win a title. We don't have a line full of first round draft choices but we have team full of players that are still good enough to get up and down the ice and it will be hard to shut UND down, I think we will be better than last season. I expect break out years for Frattin, Malone, Trupp, Gregiore (sp).