SiouxSports.com Forum

Standing Rock Elections?

breakin face

All nickname supporting alumni should back a pro-nickname candidate on the Standing Rock reservation, that way by the time the September election rolls around he can be on the council fighting our battles for us. He should have no problems getting elected if the nickname opinion at Standing Rock is anything like that at Spirit Lake. Is this possible or are there more hoops to jump through? Can anyone shed some light about how one gets nominated for these tribal councils?

That's great from our point of view but for the tribal members on the reservations they have many more serious issues to deal with than UND's nickname and they should be voting for representatives who offer the best chance to solve their other issues, regardless of their stance on the nickname.

Don't see how that will matter.

Even if new members are elected that are in favor of the nickname they don't take office until Oct 1 which is the deadline for getting a 30 year agreement.

Well don't we have another year? Oh wait, we gotta get started on that new "marketing initiative"...m'effers

• 2 years later...

Looks like the Standing Rock Tribal Council will not have time to be discussing the Fighting SIoux name in the near future...

Hearing to be held on removing Standing Rock tribal chairman

A hearing will be held to determine whether Standing Rock Tribal Council Chairman Charles Murphy should be removed from office for misconduct and neglect of office.

the next hearing will be held in 20 days.

And yet some would still have the University's use of the Sioux moniker held hostage to that type of third-world political garbage ...

Really? If you have been paying attention to the State of Wisconsin recently, they have had more than their share of state and local recall elections. It is not unique to tribal politics.

Really? If you have been paying attention to the State of Wisconsin recently, they have had more than their share of state and local recall elections. It is not unique to tribal politics.

It has nothing to do with the recall effort, so much as the internal poltiics, e.g., filling various programs with cronies, family members, etc. My brother-in-law is an enrolled SR member, and he's told that's how they roll. Charlie probably "insulted" somebody's cousin,and now he's a target.

I simply meant to point out that given the state of politics in the U.S., most states, and Chicago (sorry Sioux-cia) it is a little unfair to call tribal politicals third-world. And yes, at least one of the WI recall efforts was due to someone being insulted. There isn't all that much difference in some cases. A sad state of affairs, but that is the way it is sometimes.

I simply meant to point out that given the state of politics in the U.S., most states, and Chicago (sorry Sioux-cia) it is a little unfair to call tribal politicals third-world. And yes, at least one of the WI recall efforts was due to someone being insulted. There isn't all that much difference in some cases. A sad state of affairs, but that is the way it is sometimes.

I'm with you. Without getting "political", I've always thought the reservation system was merely an American form of Apartheid ... :sad:

It has nothing to do with the recall effort, so much as the internal poltiics, e.g., filling various programs with cronies, family members, etc. My brother-in-law is an enrolled SR member, and he's told that's how they roll. Charlie probably "insulted" somebody's cousin,and now he's a target.

Siouxman is absolutely correct (No apology necessary, I'm not naive to the goings on in Chicago politics). Nepotism, favortism, 'internal politics', etc. is not unique to tribal politics.

Citing Siouxman's example, the recall/anti-union politics are not the only things that have Wisconsin citizens up in arms. I worked in Wisconsin when the stuff hit the fan. Lots of problems with the state government are pizzing off the citizens. One of those issues is with Gov. Walker's approval having the father of Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald and Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald appointed head of Wisconsins State Police .

No matter Stephen Fitzgerald’s qualifications, his appointment looks like a goodwill offering from Gov. Scott Walker to the top two lawmakers Walker will need on board with his budget and policy agendas.

Read more: http://host.madison....l#ixzz1opWeHimG

It's political corruption is EVERYWHERE!!

Wouldn't folks in ND attempting to affect the SR election be equivalent to Chinese nationals attempting to affect the outcome of US elections? Standing Rock is a "soverign nation" and all, ya'know. Let them make their own bed. They have to sleep in it.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...