• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hf coyotes top 20 prospects

19. (NR) Brett Hextall, C - 6.0C

5'11, 188 pounds

6th round, 159th overall, 2008

April 2, 1988

The son of Ron Hextall, Brett quietly had a very productive freshman season with the University of North Dakota. Hextall plays a simple and direct game and makes plays with his speed. Hextall is a tireless worker and a relentless skater who has quickly developed a reputation as an agitator, who certainly isn't afraid to get hostile when he needs to. However, Hextall also turned heads with his ability to score regularly, as he put up 12 goals on the season and even saw power-play time. It appears Phoenix might have something with last year's sixth-round pick.

hf coyotes top 20 prospects

19. (NR) Brett Hextall, C - 6.0C

5'11, 188 pounds

6th round, 159th overall, 2008

April 2, 1988

The son of Ron Hextall, Brett quietly had a very productive freshman season with the University of North Dakota. Hextall plays a simple and direct game and makes plays with his speed. Hextall is a tireless worker and a relentless skater who has quickly developed a reputation as an agitator, who certainly isn't afraid to get hostile when he needs to. However, Hextall also turned heads with his ability to score regularly, as he put up 12 goals on the season and even saw power-play time. It appears Phoenix might have something with last year's sixth-round pick.

Quietly??? I don't believe the other 9 WCHA teams would agree with that.

This is disappointing, but not really a surprise - 3 TV timeouts per period, adding 10 minutes to total game time:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2009...21_wchaadds.php

The astute will use this as an opportunity to get a beverage without missing the action...

Actually I believe this to be a good thing. It seemed that FSN-North needed to take a TV break before each Gopher power play, but seldom before an opponent advantage. With a set schedule of TV TOs the risk for devious and cunning commercial coersion is lessened.

As far as length of game, games at UW, UM, and UND already had TV TOs in them. To me it seemed FSSN was taking four per period (16, 12, 8, 4 minute marks). Someone with games on tape from recent seasons could probably verify or refute this. Now having a set and consistent three probably won't have much overall impact.

Actually I believe this to be a good thing. It seemed that FSN-North needed to take a TV break before each Gopher power play, but seldom before an opponent advantage. With a set schedule of TV TOs the risk for devious and cunning commercial coersion is lessened.

As far as length of game, games at UW, UM, and UND already had TV TOs in them. To me it seemed FSSN was taking four per period (16, 12, 8, 4 minute marks). Someone with games on tape from recent seasons could probably verify or refute this. Now having a set and consistent three probably won't have much overall impact.

I agree, it seemed like FSN was taking a break going into a penalty for their favorite team. I agree with the new rule, its a good idea.

Nice article on Marto, which brings me to ponder the experience level of this year's team. Given the starting lineup that I would expect to see nightly, this team rates a 2.2 on the experience scale (1.0 being all freshmen, 4.0 being all seniors), similar to the 2005-6 and 2006-7 teams that both made the Frozen Four. The lowest rating in recent memory was in 2001-2, when UND had a losing record with a 1.9 average. Anytime you dip below 2.0, you are in trouble.

So, even though this team is younger than UND has fielded the last few years, they have great offensive talent in the young guys, and they could make some noise this year. Defensively, UND is pretty experienced - I would only expect one freshman to play on a given night, especially in critical games. Those two things combined could make for a very good season.

Go Sioux !

Other WCHA news:

SCSU is probably now counting on Lee a bit earlier than expected:

http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/secti...ife.sctimes.com

Weslosky is academically ineligible (again) and could be transferring to BSU for next season.

Dunn is now the only goalie on SCSU's roster with any NCAA minutes.

good get for BSU next season if so. lee wold have taken over either way so not a bad move for him im guessing

good get for BSU next season if so. lee wold have taken over either way so not a bad move for him im guessing

I believe he would only have one year of eligibility left with BSU, which seems weird to transfer instead of sign. But if he likes the college game instead of going to play in the ECHL/AHL for the time being, it could be better for him.

He just needs to keep up with his studies a bit better...if he fails out of SCSU, I'm not sure he has much hope elsewhere. :lol:

I believe he would only have one year of eligibility left with BSU, which seems weird to transfer instead of sign. But if he likes the college game instead of going to play in the ECHL/AHL for the time being, it could be better for him.

He just needs to keep up with his studies a bit better...if he fails out of SCSU, I'm not sure he has much hope elsewhere. :lol:

hes a 4th round draft pick so i see him and frattin signing at some point. no nhl team wants any of their players to sit a year without real game play unless its a injury reason to sit out

Looking at the size of Fienhage, Blood, and Macwilliam listed on the latest roster, the Sioux are maybe getting back to what they had for defensemen 4-5 years ago.

Yeah a bunch of tree trunks on the blue line. :lol:

There has to be an on-campus whisper mill running regarding possible third goalies.

So, there has to be a serviceable goalie or two somewhere on campus planning to walk on.

Names?

* serviceable: played a year or two as a back-up in juniors or won a section title in the MnSHSL.

per brad

Single-game ticket sale reminder

Minnesota sent out a release today reminding fans that single-game men's hockey tickets go on sale tomorrow (Wednesday) at 9 a.m. I know most of UND's alumns wind up in the Twin Cities, so this always is a hot ticket (not to mention other factors, like success of the programs and the rivalry).

If you're interested in those tickets, go to www.gophersports.com to pick up tickets tomorrow morning.

Also, UND's single-game tickets go on sale Sept. 12 at 10 a.m., so you still have some time there.

per brad

Single-game ticket sale reminder

Minnesota sent out a release today reminding fans that single-game men's hockey tickets go on sale tomorrow (Wednesday) at 9 a.m. I know most of UND's alumns wind up in the Twin Cities, so this always is a hot ticket (not to mention other factors, like success of the programs and the rivalry).

If you're interested in those tickets, go to www.gophersports.com to pick up tickets tomorrow morning.

Also, UND's single-game tickets go on sale Sept. 12 at 10 a.m., so you still have some time there.

I'm glad I'm a sioux fan...where I can purchase single game tickets at REA and be able to sit by my friends in reserved seating. Unlike....Mariucci. :lol:

I haven't looked through to see if anyone has posted anything about it but when do they mail the season tickets out for hockey?

What about former area goaltenders?

No, I haven't received hockey (or football) season tickets yet, nor have I received a former area goalie in the mail either. And I hope the latter doesn't come COD.