SiouxSports.com Forum

Bemidji State in the WCHA?

undchris

Let's say DU, CC and AA are the "No" votes (based on travel issues). One needs to be converted. If they know that, and BSU has a home for one more year, they may decide not to vote now, but delay it for the next set of meetings. By then, maybe a 12th team has emerged or one of the "No" votes has switched. Seems it would be detrimental to BSU, both for fundraising and recruiting, to have the stigma of being turned down as opposed to a delayed vote on admittance.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess i don't understand why they had bsu come make their presentation if they aren't going to give them some sort of answer? seems odd to me. i understand they may not have the votes to get in, which would be a shame if a competitive d1 program would be forced to go under because they couldn't find a league. they made it further than any wcha team this year, in fact i would guess there are a couple of wcha teams who have never been to the frozen four. it will be interesting to see what mccleod has to say tomorrow.

Let's say DU, CC and AA are the "No" votes (based on travel issues). One needs to be converted. If they know that, and BSU has a home for one more year, they may decide not to vote now, but delay it for the next set of meetings. By then, maybe a 12th team has emerged or one of the "No" votes has switched. Seems it would be detrimental to BSU, both for fundraising and recruiting, to have the stigma of being turned down as opposed to a delayed vote on admittance.

DU and CC would likely vote for an Omaha / Bemidji combo, but if they vote in Bemidji first they've lost all their influence. After it's AD is installed, UNO will make a final decision later this summer. There's a very reasonable chance Bemidji won't have to wait long.

If UNO moves, UAH likely gets a home in the CCHA.

Am I the only one who only sees doom and gloom for Bemidji?

this is killing me being from bemidji as from what brad has been reporting they dont have the 8 votes out of 10. if they get turned down it will be one sad day in bemidji and all they have worked on since becoming D-1. im guessing its denver,cc and uaa not voting for them?? i guess im not sure on who the 3 teams are but would guess those being further away

I recently had lunch with a rep from BSU. They are hoping for/expecting a vote with "some type" of WCHA membership. They understand that 11 teams isn't ideal, but they have been following the WCHA guidelines and have met all of their criteria. Hopefully the WCHA will see the forest through the trees regarding BSU's situation and will compromise some sort of membership, perhaps even a short-term affiliate membership, status for them. That is what BSU is expecting.

DU and CC would likely vote for an Omaha / Bemidji combo, but if they vote in Bemidji first they've lost all their influence. After it's AD is installed, UNO will make a final decision later this summer. There's a very reasonable chance Bemidji won't have to wait long.

If UNO moves, UAH likely gets a home in the CCHA.

I think this is what is going to happen as well...

From the sounds of this article, it sounds as if Bemidji State will know today whether they're in or not.

Bemidji State will learn whether its men's hockey team will be admitted to WCHA this afternoon

Never trust the Fargo Forum to get a hockey story completely right.

Trust Brad:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=50130

Why should the league AD's have to ask McLeod to be more aggressive in searching out a 12th member? I would have thought that would be a no-brainer for someone in that position. Perhaps they should ask him to do something else if he doesn't accomplish this!

Never trust the Fargo Forum to get a hockey story completely right.

Trust Brad:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=50130

From Brad's Blog:

<LI>MSU-Moorhead is not under consideration to be BSU's dancing partner. Neither is Huntsville.

Headline on Forum on-line story:

Either there is lots of wishful thinking in Moorhead (Fargo), or someone has bad info, or McLoed is lying.

Why should the league AD's have to ask McLeod to be more aggressive in searching out a 12th member? I would have thought that would be a no-brainer for someone in that position. Perhaps they should ask him to do something else if he doesn't accomplish this!

Because maybe the CCHA is going to take UAH? They had a site visit as well as a presentation to the CCHA.

Because maybe the CCHA is going to take UAH? They had a site visit as well as a presentation to the CCHA.

That would put the CCHA at 13. Then the question would become if Anastos doesn't have a problem with 13, why is McLeod bent out of shape about 11?

In 1948, I believe there were only three Big 10 universities playing hockey and there were very few other teams in the west, so it's not an accurate comparison. But nevertheless, I see the merit in saving a college hockey program. I hate to see any school drop hockey, particuarly one with history like Bemidji State. I just want everyone to be clear about the costs involved. Some of the people that are enthusiastically behind Bemidji will probably be complaining when the Gophers come to town only 3 of 5 years, or maybe even 1 of 2 years, depending on how the league handles scheduling.

Of course there are message board arguments about what the NCAA should do or what should happen with "college hockey" in general. But none of that matters. The reality is that the NCAA is not going to allow more games, the WCHA is not going to increase the number of league games, no other team is going to leave the WCHA to make room for Bemidji, and the WCHA isn't going to concoct some complicated schedule so that UND can play Minnesota and Wisconsin four times per year. Adding Bemidji will result in fewer games against UND's biggest rivals. I think that is the backdrop in which people should formulate their position on Bemidji.

I know there has been talk of splitting the WCHA into two divisions, and what not, but, and I hate to say this as it is cold, but what about cutting Alaska, or Michigan Tech? I would think Mich Tech would have a better shot at getting into another conference due to logistics of travel, and on the flip side Alaska! the costs must be staggering! But that is my un-educated opinion, as I haven't thought too much on this issue, but I would hate to lose more rival games! And Bemidji I think would develop into a rivalry due to the proximity to UND!

Or, just add Bemidji and float the schedule like they have been doing, maybe they could cut out one non-conference series. IDK any thoughts?

I know there has been talk of splitting the WCHA into two divisions, and what not, but, and I hate to say this as it is cold, but what about cutting Alaska, or Michigan Tech? I would think Mich Tech would have a better shot at getting into another conference due to logistics of travel, and on the flip side Alaska! the costs must be staggering! But that is my un-educated opinion, as I haven't thought too much on this issue, but I would hate to lose more rival games! And Bemidji I think would develop into a rivalry due to the proximity to UND!

Or, just add Bemidji and float the schedule like they have been doing, maybe they could cut out one non-conference series. IDK any thoughts?

I don't know the procedure for kicking a school out of the WCHA, but I would imagine it would be very difficult. It's a pipe-dream to think any school is going to be involuntarily removed from the WCHA.

just in case this all goes through with 12 teams.......so would the final 5 switch to the super 6 or only top 10 teams make the playoffs and keep it the final 5?

probably for future discussion but popped up in my head ???

just in case this all goes through with 12 teams.......so would the final 5 switch to the super 6 or only top 10 teams make the playoffs and keep it the final 5?

Brad's blog addressed this. It would be the Final Six. Top two teams get byes, then 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5. Then re-sead for the semi-finals. And the 3rd place game would be eliminated.

I would say follow the dollars, and it will be a Super 6 format.

Brad's blog addressed this. It would be the Final Six. Top two teams get byes, then 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5. Then re-sead for the semi-finals. And the 3rd place game would be eliminated.

cool, thanks. didnt the ccha call theirs the SUPER 6 and changed it this last year? wcha will have to change the name to be catchy ???

how about...

THE SIOUXPER 6 :)

cool, thanks. didnt the ccha call theirs the SUPER 6 and changed it this last year? wcha will have to change the name to be catchy ???

how about...

THE SIOUXPER 6 :D

Sexy Six? (Don't forget about the potential WCHA Sexy Six ads they could come up with)

Six Pack and a Pound? (Thanks Taco John's :) )

Super Duper Six? (Super Duper > Super)

Final Five? (Big "Ten" Style)

Original Six? (completely original :) )

Sexy Six? (Don't forget about the potential WCHA Sexy Six ads they could come up with)

Six Pack and a Pound? (Thanks Taco John's :) )

Super Duper Six? (Super Duper > Super)

Final Five? (Big "Ten" Style)

Original Six? (completely original :) )

nice

i like the sexy6 , then have each of the teams find a hottie from campus and represent that team in the program ;)??? like the pac10 playboy edition or something like that :D

i bet they use the SUPER6 or something along that line