SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Hockey 09/10

brianvf

If VV comes back I see us being a top three team in the league. one thing I'd like to see next year is seeing Frattin play the whole year. each of the last two years basically after nov 30 he hasn't been heard from.

I think Frattin, like a lot of guys on the team, has a consistency issue. But this year, I don't think he disappeared after Nov 30th, considering I don't think he actually showed up until November this year. He disappearred in February this year. :D

So I think consistency is one thing we need from a few guys we need it from -- whether Vandy comes back or not.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always a good laugh reading about guys who don't show up. Frattin has gotten steadily better in his time at UND. The game was just a touch too fast for him in his first year, and I thought that even carried over to the first few weeks of this year. Then, all of a sudden, his near misses started to click, and he was suddenly a good college player. He contracted a serious case of Notermann Syndrome down the stretch this year, but he was still playing very well (as Notermann did when his great chances caught iron). He especially picked up his physical game when the puck wasn't going in (perhaps something he picked up from Kozek). He'll be a huge part of the team's success next year.

Always a good laugh reading about guys who don't show up. Frattin has gotten steadily better in his time at UND. The game was just a touch too fast for him in his first year, and I thought that even carried over to the first few weeks of this year. Then, all of a sudden, his near misses started to click, and he was suddenly a good college player. He contracted a serious case of Notermann Syndrome down the stretch this year, but he was still playing very well (as Notermann did when his great chances caught iron). He especially picked up his physical game when the puck wasn't going in (perhaps something he picked up from Kozek). He'll be a huge part of the team's success next year.

I do agree with what you said, and I probably sounded like I was knocking Frattin, but I'm not. I probably should have said scoring consistency instead. I was very impressed with his progress and his physical play down the stretch. He's done lots of things pretty well when the scoring wasn't there. I hope he continues to progress next year because we'll need him to.

I do agree with what you said, and I probably sounded like I was knocking Frattin, but I'm not. I probably should have said scoring consistency instead. I was very impressed with his progress and his physical play down the stretch. He's done lots of things pretty well when the scoring wasn't there. I hope he continues to progress next year because we'll need him to.

Pony and Frattin will need to step up next year as well as Trupp. I think Frattin ad a better year that Trupp. With Cichy, Kristo et all coming in next year I see another McNaughton cup as a real possibility

I expect a big year out of Trupp next season. I think he is really poised to make a big jump up in performance and points.

If VV comes back, I could easily see UND making another run for the MacNaughton. If he doesn't, I still see the Sioux finishing top 3.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but it doesn't look like a very strong year for the WCHA again. At least other leagues are losing some top players early as well, that will help balance things out again. :D

The whole team slumped after the Sunday afternoon OT win vs. Colorado College. The goal vs. Duluth in the Final Five was a boneheaded mistake, but there were a lot of odd-man rushes and powerplay goals that he couldn't do much about. Sometimes I think goalies get too much credit and also too much blame. You win as a team and lose as a team.

Kinda like quarterbacks?? Eidsness did not lose the game against UNH....the whole team went into a shell and that was the disappointing part.

Kinda like quarterbacks?? Eidsness did not lose the game against UNH....the whole team went into a shell and that was the disappointing part.

Aptly noted, however I saw an interesting statistic the other day and it was something like the Sioux's record was 21 wins, 3 losses and 2 ties (or very similar) when we scored at least 3 goals. We scored more than 3 goals against UNH - if, I mean IF, we would have had goaltender support like we had thoughtout the year I believe that the outcome would have been different. I also believe that no one other than the goaltender would be louder in echoing this sentiment. The ones that I have known over the years have a tendancy for being hard on themselves. I have also learned over the years is that preparing a goaltender for big games goes beyond reminding them of their skills - it has alot to do with getting in their head. I have no clue how to do that, but I have seen great goalie coaches do the same. I am not blaming our goaltender for the loss, - however, I do beleve that responsibility should be taken for ensuring that he was ready to play the big game.

Pony and Frattin will need to step up next year as well as Trupp. I think Frattin ad a better year that Trupp. With Cichy, Kristo et all coming in next year I see another McNaughton cup as a real possibility

Speaking of another player that made great strides this year, Pony really started to come on towards the end, and I think he's ready to break out next year. I am looking forward to it.

I don't know the extent of Truppers injury woes, but I did not see improvement in his game. In fact, I felt he was a non factor after the MN series. If I were evan, I'd be worried about icetime next year.

Agree with assessment if marked improvement on Malone and Frattin. They will be on the top two forward lines.

A big ? Is Toews. Was he hurt, or lazy or what? He had solid offensive numbers in limited action usually on the fourth line. I thought his absence also slammed Kozrk's offensive production to a halt.

You see it in VV, Frattin, and Malone for sure, the scouts aren't dumb, and the drafted players have potential and improve.

What if VV comes back?

VV centering Frattin and Kristo

Malone centering Gregoire and Cichy

Zajac centering Hextall and Lammy

Toews centering Trupp and Bruneteau

Genoway and Blood

Marto and Finehage

lapoint and McWilliam

I think that Forney is a big question mark. If he is able to come in and compete in practice, it will be a big time fight for ice time.

I think going into the 09-10 season we have the following situation.

Guaranteed ice time on one of the top 3 lines:

VV (if he comes back)

Malone

Frattin

Gregoire

Hextall

Zajac

Highly touted Frosh that will play on the top 3 lines:

Kristo

Cichy

4 forward spots left open for the likes of:

Trupp (his to lose)

Toews (his to earn)

Lammy

Bruneteau

Davidson

Forney? I am hesitant that the team will want to bring in a guy for two years

Mattson? I believe he will play a year of junior hockey. He is a wildcard, just like Oshie was coming in.

The Alberta guys?

I predict Hakstol takes a page out of Blaiser's book and rolls five lines in practice. The top four units play.

It might be a situation where you have quality hockey players who aren't going to get ice time, so they leave ala Hunter Bishop.

Not knowing the physical condition of some of these guys makes a big difference. Yes, they are all athletes and in shape, but who is strong enough to play a grueling WCHA season and then go on a playoff run. If I recall correctly, it was the physical condition of TJ Oshie that made him a #1 draft pick. That condition and draft order brought him to UND that first year, and the rest is history. I think Mattson fits into that same question. I am not saying that he will be an Osh, but he is a high end skill kid coming right out of high school.

Forney? I am hesitant that the team will want to bring in a guy for two years

He's certainly talented. Not as talented as the last forward that was here two years (Toews), but he'll fight for a spot and contribute. Another factor is that he was not disgruntled when he left and hasn't burned any bridges. If he was a guy the remaining guys hated, there wouldn't be a question.

It's been done before, it will be done again. If they feel Michael can come in and help the team win games, he'll be in Grand Forks with the Sioux.

RW77 mentioned one that took a year off in the middle of career... another was Kevin McKinnon (3 years after break)

As for Forney ending up somewhere else, don't count on that. The way I understand things, he'll only have 1 year of eligibility anywhere else because he did not take any junior college classes while playing in Green Bay. Please correct me if I am wrong on that. (I'm sure someone will) He would likely then join Kozek in the Thrashers system.

cichy, kristo, bruneteau are locks to come in and knight should be as well i believe. if VV leaves then add danny mattson most likely. im not sure on forney as of now. i guess we will find out soon enough as hak said he should know in the next couple weeks after VV decides.

idealy you want 2 extra forwards when bringing in talent like the sioux do every year and not 3 sitting every night and 1 d man sitting

forwards

hextall

malone

frattin

trupp

toews

gregoire

davidson

zajac

lamoureux

vandevelde (as of now)

cichy

kristo

bruneteau

knight

mattson (with VV leaving) making 14 forwards

forney (wildcard as we dont know, would make 15 forwards)

the D situation should look like this as of now

blood

fienhage

marto

lapoint

genoway

macwilliam

gleason

GOALIE

eidsness

dell

harrington

I may not be popular with this answer but...

I'd rather have Rowney come in next year and have Mattson take a year of juniors rather than vice versa. Yeah, Mattson is the more talented, but I think Rowney is a better choice as a platoon player. I see Mattson as someone that will get lots of ice time when he comes in. I'd rather him season himself to a higher level of competition than HS hockey first.

I may not be popular with this answer but...

I'd rather have Rowney come in next year and have Mattson take a year of juniors rather than vice versa. Yeah, Mattson is the more talented, but I think Rowney is a better choice as a platoon player. I see Mattson as someone that will get lots of ice time when he comes in. I'd rather him season himself to a higher level of competition than HS hockey first.

Mattson's status will be influenced, I beleive, by the entry draft. He will be the highest draft of our draft-eligible recruits (including the AJHL boys). If he is a top 2 round pick, his time here will be influenced by his rights holder, like it or not.

The clock is ticking on Kristo already. A big freshman season (including another stint at the WJC) could make him consider jumping. I see him as a 2-year player at the most.

Mattson should come here in 09 if there is room. Better 3 years here than 2 in my opinion.

Mattson's status will be influenced, I beleive, by the entry draft. He will be the highest draft of our draft-eligible recruits (including the AJHL boys). If he is a top 2 round pick, his time here will be influenced by his rights holder, like it or not.

The clock is ticking on Kristo already. A big freshman season (including another stint at the WJC) could make him consider jumping. I see him as a 2-year player at the most.

Mattson should come here in 09 if there is room. Better 3 years here than 2 in my opinion.

I hope UND gets him here right away.

Don't be surprised if Knight is the first Sioux recruit taken in this year's draft. Yes I know his rankings were not that high. All it takes is one team who really likes a player.

thats spot on, all it takes is 1 team for anyone

I'm really excited to see what Mattson has to offer. I'm sure he'll go 2nd round as well, but I'm also concerned that he'll have a little trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. USHL provides that adjustment. I feel that Knight is more prepared to come in now then Mattson, but wont complain if we see Mattson here this season. I really think its a long shot that Mattson comes in this year.