SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs UNH

AZSIOUX

So if Jones and Marto were out there to start the OT would we have given up that type of goal?? I highly doubt it.

Your proof being?

Of course, if you want to hold both Genoway and Finley accountable for this, then it changes things a bit.

Why? Because that means you're not putting it all on Finley, which is what every other poster has done thus far.

I suppose I'd be much for apt to listen if both being accountable were the case.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Finley and VV with separated shoulders, Hexy with a broken foot, Watty with a sprained knee, Trupp with some mystery ailment. Sucks, but you play with the cards you're dealt. Maybe our injuries were worse than other teams'.

It's not why we lost, but it can certainly affect the way those injured players play the game.

I take the loss as hard as any fan here, but like some have implied on this post, we as fans do not have 1/100 of the emotional and physical investment of, say, a Joe Finley or Chay Genoway, in the game played yesterday. Some of these seniors will never play a "meaningful" hockey game again in their life. And that may be hard to live with for quite some time. Those are the guys I feel most for. I've been there , I've coached kids who've been there and I see it all the time. It is like soomething has been taken from your life. We fans are fortunate to have the '09-'10 season to look forward to. And next years team will be better than this year. For the players, this "team" will never be again.

Having a good deal of coaching experience, I recognize the behavior of some of these some of the ranters on this site. They are the guys (or gals) who break their hockey sticks in the locker room, refuse to shake hands after the game, get in a fight with a teammate, or trash the locker room. It's all about having class in defeat. Or maybe they never understood the effort and heart required to play a meaningful game in front of thousands.

I hope you, who chose to blame a guy all sweated up who put his heart out there for a goal with 0.1 seconds on the clock, never get the opportunity to coach a youth team. For the sake of the kids. That 0.1 second ticks off before the goal and these same ranters would be strutting how the Sioux survived a close one but will be ready for BU this afternoon.

This '08-'09 version of the Fighting Sioux has made my winter. Looking forward to the Friday game makes my work week go much faster. And I thank all the players current and former for the efforts they've made for my entertaineemnt and enjoyment. Best of luck in all future endeavors, hockey related or not.

Now my rant is done:

Go Sioux!

losing sucks.

The loss to BC in 2007 hurt more. The loss to Denver in 2004 regionals hurt more.

We had a freshman goalie, and no big time NHL talent. We didn't have a WJC talent player for the first time in years.

This team gave me more entertainment than I thought I'd get.

I take the loss as hard as any fan here, but like some have implied on this post, we as fans do not have 1/100 of the emotional and physical investment of, say, a Joe Finley or Chay Genoway, in the game played yesterday. Some of these seniors will never play a "meaningful" hockey game again in their life. And that may be hard to live with for quite some time. Those are the guys I feel most for. I've been there , I've coached kids who've been there and I see it all the time. It is like soomething has been taken from your life. We fans are fortunate to have the '09-'10 season to look forward to. And next years team will be better than this year. For the players, this "team" will never be again.

Having a good deal of coaching experience, I recognize the behavior of some of these some of the ranters on this site. They are the guys (or gals) who break their hockey sticks in the locker room, refuse to shake hands after the game, get in a fight with a teammate, or trash the locker room. It's all about having class in defeat. Or maybe they never understood the effort and heart required to play a meaningful game in front of thousands.

I hope you, who chose to blame a guy all sweated up who put his heart out there for a goal with 0.1 seconds on the clock, never get the opportunity to coach a youth team. For the sake of the kids. That 0.1 second ticks off before the goal and these same ranters would be strutting how the Sioux survived a close one but will be ready for BU this afternoon.

This '08-'09 version of the Fighting Sioux has made my winter. Looking forward to the Friday game makes my work week go much faster. And I thank all the players current and former for the efforts they've made for my entertaineemnt and enjoyment. Best of luck in all future endeavors, hockey related or not.

Now my rant is done:

Go Sioux!

Well said! Finally, a Voice of Reason....... :(

These aren't little boys who should all get a participation trophy. These are elite athletes playing for one of the most prestigious programs in the country. They are not immune from criticism, fair or unfair.

Certainly they have invested more into the team than we fans have, that is without question. But we fans invest our fair share ourselves, be it with $ or with time.

I personally like Big Joe and I know that he was one of the most improtant contributors to our successes this year. That favorable opinion, however, does not apply to his play universally. Joe got beat down low ont he game tying goal. He also didn't look sharp at many key times of the game. THe VV line played great offensively, but they also were a minus as a unit.

Now my rant is done:

Go Sioux!

All American post right there. I agree.

Now my rant is done:

Go Sioux!

I agree whole heartedly.

The Sioux played with plenty of jump yesterday, gave it their all and obviously care a lot more about it than any of us do.

That said, I'm trying to make sense of all the goals allowed in the last games of each of the last four years.

In 2006, the Sioux gave up 7,6,7 during the year, then 6 to BC.

In 2007, they gave up 6,6 during the year, then 6 to BC.

In 2008, they gave up 7 during the year, then 6 to BC.

In 2009, they gave up 7 during the year, then 6 to UNH.

So that's it. In the last four seasons, they gave up 6 or more goals in 7 games out of 171, not counting the last game of each season, when they gave up 6 in 4 games out of 4. (Admittedly there were 2 ENGs in 2007.)

In comparison, in 2004-05, UND was losing forwards to injury and had an experienced, huge defense corps, so in a bid to change the team's fortunes, the coaches went to a more defensive philosophy. Famously, the team bought in and went on a fantastic run to the title game, where they lost 4-1 to Denver (with an ENG). That year, the team gave up 6 goals in 1 of 45 games.

Sioux hockey is puck pressure and playing on your toes. We all love it because it is fun to watch and usually pretty successful over the long run. Is that one of the things costing the team when it gets bombed for goals in the last game of the year? Should they clog the neutral zone and go for the counter-punch in the NCAAs? Denver won twice that way, Wisconsin played that way, Michigan St. played that way. It makes me sick to think of it, but so does that big number on the other side of the scoreboard.

Or could it have something to do with non-WCHA play being so different than the regular season? Most weeks, it is a battle to advance the puck up the ice, and the Sioux need to interfere too just to stay in the game. If they played in free-skating games all the time, would they be better at positioning?

Or is it coaching and the certain group of players? The defense in the clampdown year was Jones, Schneider, Fuher, Greene and Smaby, and Brad Berry coached the defense. Those guys weren't the cutest with the puck, but they were heartless b*stards in their own zone.

Coach Hakstol said to the press that he wasn't happy that UNH scored in transition and in front of the net, which is an area UND should've taken better care of. So maybe this year it was defensive execution.

I don't know the answer, but that's a lot of goals to give up.

...Sioux hockey is puck pressure and playing on your toes. We all love it because it is fun to watch and usually pretty successful over the long run. Is that one of the things costing the team when it gets bombed for goals in the last game of the year? Should they clog the neutral zone and go for the counter-punch in the NCAAs? Denver won twice that way, Wisconsin played that way, Michigan St. played that way. It makes me sick to think of it, but so does that big number on the other side of the scoreboard....

When the Sioux win it will be done their way. As far as I can tell the uptempo is still the way to go if you have the horses.

For the finals:

'00 - Both uptempo.

'01 - Both uptempo.

'02 - Gophs up and maybe Maine as well.

'03 - Both up.

'04 - Both down.

'05 - Both up. I thought the '05 DU team was loaded and didn't trap. The final game may have ended up going that way, but I don't think it was their strategery.

'06 - BC up lost to UW.

'07 - BC up lost to Mich St.

'08 - BC up.

'09 - BU??? up.

Teams will try to clog and slow, but I don't think it will necessarily have an advantage at crunch time, unless they have Elliot backing them up. Even he needed a crossbar in the regionals and a goal post in the final seconds.

You guys should all be proud of what they accomplished, disappointing finishes simply happen. They don't reflex poorly on your program or players in the real world, they just provide fodder for rivals to pick on. Be glad Ruesse isn't a Sioux fan or I'm sure he'd tell you everything you do wrong.

So Finley and VV with separated shoulders, Hexy with a broken foot, Watty with a sprained knee, Trupp with some mystery ailment. Sucks, but you play with the cards you're dealt. Maybe our injuries were worse than other teams'.

How did Finley get a separated shoulder? Wouldn't that have required him making physical contact at some point in time?

To make things worse, word is Finley has a sprained neck now too after watching the UNH player blow past him in the OT.

While I am totally disappointed that the Sioux will not be going to DC, it is not one players fault. They play as a team, the win as a team and they lose as a team. This all sounds familar when everyone wants to find a player to blame for a lose. I just thanks this team from the bottom of my heart for a great season, and now I can start looking forward to next year.

This year's team was a team without superstars and to be effective they needed to be able to roll 4 lines that could all contribute - offensively and defensively. Maybe they were no more banged up than any other team this time of year, but given their makeup, they had a thinner margin of error than most other teams making it to the NCAAs. Not an excuse, but one can understand the drop off in performance at the end of the year. The guy I feel the worst for is Mr. Ryan Duncan. Because of the way he conducted himself on and off the ice, played every game in his career at UND, stayed another 2 years after winning the Hobey, and other things too numerous to mention, he is my favorite all time Sioux player. Simply a great player and a great man. I really would have liked to see him leave with a ring.

This year's team was a team without superstars and to be effective they needed to be able to roll 4 lines that could all contribute - offensively and defensively. Maybe they were no more banged up than any other team this time of year, but given their makeup, they had a thinner margin of error than most other teams making it to the NCAAs. Not an excuse, but one can understand the drop off in performance at the end of the year. The guy I feel the worst for is Mr. Ryan Duncan. Because of the way he conducted himself on and off the ice, played every game in his career at UND, stayed another 2 years after winning the Hobey, and other things too numerous to mention, he is my favorite all time Sioux player. Simply a great player and a great man. I really would have liked to see him leave with a ring.

I totally agree with you.I'm gonna miss Duncan so much,he's a class act,he defines what Sioux hockey is all about.I feel bad for all the seniors they've all worked their asses off for the last 4 years,and they deserved a title,but at least they got the MacNaughton.This is the best class I've ever seen,if not the best ever,granted I'm only 19.Look at all the success Toews and Oshie are having,Lee is doing pretty good,Chorney got called up today.Being a Sioux fan is awesome!

How did Finley get a separated shoulder? Wouldn't that have required him making physical contact at some point in time?

To make things worse, word is Finley has a sprained neck now too after watching the UNH player blow past him in the OT.

EDIT: Not necessary.