SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

I love VV, but I think a few of our members are putting a bit too much stock in him. Not sure why, but I don't see as much in our returning players as some others do. I'm not saying we'll be bad, or even mediocre, but I don't think we'll be the team to beat unless our freshman come in and dominate.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love VV, but I think a few of our members are putting a bit too much stock in him. Not sure why, but I don't see as much in our returning players as some others do. I'm not saying we'll be bad, or even mediocre, but I don't think we'll be the team to beat unless our freshman come in and dominate.

So other than Duncan...who have we really lost? Finley is easily replaceable by a faster skater. Get Pointer back and the d will be better than last year. I realize Kozek, Watkins etc but there is plenty of talent to replace those guys.

So other than Duncan...who have we really lost? Finley is easily replaceable by a faster skater. Get Pointer back and the d will be better than last year. I realize Kozek, Watkins etc but there is plenty of talent to replace those guys.

Duncan was a huge loss. Also, it's hard to replace seniors with freshmen, even if the freshmen might be very good. We'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

Duncan was a huge loss. Also, it's hard to replace seniors with freshmen, even if the freshmen might be very good. We'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

duncan is a numbers loss and leadership loss as we all know. the rest of those seniors are pretty much leadership losses IMO meaning they didnt really put up numbers at all. watkins and kozek didnt and miller did this last year after changing positions. we will see how this freshman crop produces but ill predict they put up better numbers than kozek/watty put up last year in their freshman year alone. now that doesnt mean jack squat as i agree with you on replacing leadership but if VV stays which i believe is is then lets hope he continues from how he played the last month as he was a force and tghen throw genoway in and we have a couple of nice leaders. man i cant wait til october :silly:

duncan is a numbers loss and leadership loss as we all know. the rest of those seniors are pretty much leadership losses IMO meaning they didnt really put up numbers at all. watkins and kozek didnt and miller did this last year after changing positions. we will see how this freshman crop produces but ill predict they put up better numbers than kozek/watty put up last year in their freshman year alone. now that doesnt mean jack squat as i agree with you on replacing leadership but if VV stays which i believe is is then lets hope he continues from how he played the last month as he was a force and tghen throw genoway in and we have a couple of nice leaders. man i cant wait til october :silly:

Sioux will be great next year!! Bring Forney, Cichy, and Kristo in the mix and they will more than replace the scoring output of Kozek Watty and Martens.

You didn't think much of last years team. I seem to remember a bag over the head, indicating shame.

my thoughts exactly. the toughest to replace will be duncan both on and off ice. we get lapoint back which will be big. I think the loss of lapoint really hurt us down the stretch more than any of us could have imagined. I don't follow junior play that much but would somebody know how our d recruits that are coming in as far as puck handling goes as I think that was a big problem last year as we had major problems within our own zone clearing the puck out?

You don't replace seniors with freshmen.

You replace seniors with juniors.

You replace freshmen with new recruits.

(This is where the monkey standing on the rock that overlooks the valley holds the lion cub up into the sunlight for all the creatures to see.)

I don't see Flynn signing...he sucks at the college level. Schroeder will be back but so what...they lose Stoa who was far and away their best player. Leddy will be another Ness and will have a rude welcome to college hockey. Gophs D might be better next year but I don't see them as a contender....

I wouldn't be surprised to see Schroeder gone. He'll be drafted high this year - may not be a Gopher next year.

(This is where the monkey standing on the rock that overlooks the valley holds the lion cub up into the sunlight for all the creatures to see.)

I agree, if you listened to some of the player interviews during the conference and NCAA playoffs, it sounded as if Duncan wasn't the vocal leadership in the locker room, players like Genoway, VV, and Hextall were. I am not saying Duncan wasn't a leader, but he often said he was one to lead by example, not by talking and/or motivation. While I am sad to see Duncan go, I think the players left have a good bond and there are plenty of guys that will step into the leadership roles needed to guide the underclassmen.

very true, however if the last five years have tought us anything it is that sucess isn't determined by the number of seniors und has. this past year we had 8 which was either the most or second most under the hakstol era and we had our worst start in the that era. in fact that start ended up taking it's toll both mentally and physically on this squad as the year came down to an end and we were making a push but came up short of advancing past the first round. I was glad to hear that Hak eluded to that in one of the press confrences either after the game or during the following week. if vv comes back we'll have a combined 9 juniors and seniors. not that it means much as we all know, but on paper our schedule would favor us to getting off to a good first half of the year.

You didn't think much of last years team. I seem to remember a bag over the head, indicating shame.

Twas a joke. I never predicted the Sioux to start like that either, which was the surprise.

Also, where'd all the love for LaPoint come from all of a sudden? His whole career here before he hurts his ankle no one said anything good about him. Now, it sounds like he was an All-American. I like LaPoint, but before he got hurt I recall being one of about 3 people to actually like his play.

Twas a joke. I never predicted the Sioux to start like that either, which was the surprise.

Also, where'd all the love for LaPoint come from all of a sudden? His whole career here before he hurts his ankle no one said anything good about him. Now, it sounds like he was an All-American. I like LaPoint, but before he got hurt I recall being one of about 3 people to actually like his play.

THERE'S THIS THING CALLED PROGRESSION. Sometimes, an athlete makes improvements in his play. Some of us, take notice of these things and that's where the love for LaPoint may come from. And I'm getting a little tired of people telling me I can't change my mind.

I've never been a LaPoint hater.

I think Pointer had a rough start was playing the best of our defenders at the end of the season before he got hurt.

well they did suck pretty bad for a while and the bag was more for fun than anything as they were pretty bad for a month or 2 :silly:

Sioux will be great next year!! Bring Forney, Cichy, and Kristo in the mix and they will more than replace the scoring output of Kozek Watty and Martens.

or knight instead forney if forney doesnt come back and add bruneteau to that as well coming in. if VV leaves than rowney or mattson but i see VV staying as of now

actually gona be interesting to see how this works for hak and coaches. i believe tey would only want 2 extra forwards rather than 3 but thats just a guess on my part.

in for sure

kristo, cichy, bruneteau and knight i believe

wildcard

forney

2 that could be on fence with forney and or VV leaving

danny mattson, rowney

Exactly! Where did the love come from? I seem to recall he was the heir apparent to Finley for the D whipping boy until he broke the leg. I hope VV come back and I think we'll be great next year with some solid recruits coming in. Hopefully they adjust to college as good as Gregoire!