SiouxSports.com Forum

Ryan Duncan

OldSchool

I know we have had some good ones over the years, but as far as a representative of class both on and off the ice, what are your thoughts.

Is Duncan the greatest captain of all time?

That would be hard to quantify. Each is probably special in their own way.

I know we have had some good ones over the years, but as far as a representative of class both on and off the ice, what are your thoughts.

Is Duncan the greatest captain of all time?

I don't think that winning an NCAA title has anything to do with it. The way he has led a young team without the Oshie's and Toew's and Parise's of years past, and just the way that he handles the media along with his loyalty and commitment not only to the hockey team, but also the university, the community and the region. I mean the kid is first class all the way, and I have never even met him.

Ryan Duncan IS Sioux Hockey.

Anyone else who's ever had a conversation with him knows what I'm talking about. He's everything to the team, and I can't think of anyone more deserving of the success we've had this year, and it would only be fitting to see him go out on top, and I hope we keep rolling so he can.

I hope that INCH and all of the anti-Duncan bloggers enjoyed this weekend's performance as much as I did. ;)

Yeah they referred to him as over-rated, nothing without Toews and Oshie and It just isn't true.

UND will miss Ducan after this season.

I don't know if I would call him the greatest because we have had some pretty awesome captains while I have been at UND. Duncs is a great guy and great captain, but as for the greatest....i think that it depends on your personal opinion and what you grade on.

Well, what do you grade on? I consider it a leadership position that is what a captain is....The leader of the team not necessarily the best player, but the overall leader of the team, or the person that everyone looks to in tough times and in good times.

Well, what do you grade on? I consider it a leadership position that is what a captain is....The leader of the team not necessarily the best player, but the overall leader of the team, or the person that everyone looks to in tough times and in good times.

How would you quantify who the best one is? I personally have like all of captains I have seen play for UND.

They are all special in their own way. Different traits.

I would agree with that, but on that scale...Kaip would be a great captain, Porter would have been a great captian, Greene and Smaby....there is probably more, but that is all that I can think of right now. The captain every year is someone that the team votes on that they can look to in tough times and in good times.

I would agree with that, but on that scale...Kaip would be a great captain, Porter would have been a great captian, Greene and Smaby....there is probably more, but that is all that I can think of right now. The captain every year is someone that the team votes on that they can look to in tough times and in good times.

I thought all of them were great captains.

i dont think there is anyway to determine if he would be or not. if he snags a ncaa title this year to go along with his hobey and others then he will for sure go down as one of the best 4 year college players ever. i just think its impossible to determine best captain and so forth

i dont think there is anyway to determine if he would be or not. if he snags a ncaa title this year to go along with his hobey and others then he will for sure go down as one of the best 4 year college players ever. i just think its impossible to determine best captain and so forth

I agree with AZSioux. I don't care what you use as a measuring stick, there isn't any way to rate the captain's because you can't go back to see how they worked with the team, what happened in the locker rooms, what were the issues, etc. On the public face, there is no doubt that Ryan Duncan is one of the most popular, but he would be one of the most popular players even if he wasn't captain. There isn't anyone in existence who has been around all of the captains in UND's hockey history.

I think its impossible to say the GREATEST captain of all time. We have had great leaders leading this program year in and year out. So many seniors and juniors that have had an incredible career at UND. As for ONE of the greatest, of course! Ryan Duncan will always be remembered as of the greats that ever played at UND. No matter what happens the rest of the season.

I thought of this as Duncan scored (THREE) straight to take over the game last saturday. Although Duncan is small, we have some big shoes to fill. Without Toews and Oshie our teams have done fine. I'm excited about our incoming class, but also nervous about who will provide the night in and night out dedication, heart, and leadership that Duncan has provided for 4 great seasons.

Thank you Dunc!

I could see Duncan coming back and coaching at UND in the future. He seems like the kind of player who could end up being a coach...maybe as head coach, maybe as an assistant. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on it.

Duncan is the best, in my book, but I'm not sure he can be a tough enough SOB to his own players that he would have to be sometimes to succeed as a head coach at this level. Assistant is another story.