SiouxSports.com Forum

Do you believe?

yzerman19

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be completely honest, BU is the only team in the nation that scares me. 31-9 is right, BU can score on three lines and all their D. Colin Wilson is a force....Not many players in the nation that can play with him one on one based on his size and skill. They are a dangerous team this year, but saying that, I'd love to play them. They have a defense who is agressive and jump into plays and aren't too disciplined. We can take advantage of that.

If we play BU again, hopefully it just wouldn't be a repeat of the 5-1 thrashing that they put on us in the 1st game of the season.

Granted, UND has gotten alot better since then...but maybe they have too! :whistling:

It is difficult to predict. It is my belief that One thing is for certain and It has been certain 4 years in a row now. Our style of play is not good enough for National Champions. You can not win it all by dumping the puck into the corners and trying to make plays afterwards. BC won by circling the puck. MN won it by circling the puck. DU and WI won it with Goaltending.

Michigan ST won it with Goaltending as well. Last year our style of hockey rode Lami to the Frozen 4, where he chocked and we could not keep up with BC. I addition, some of the guys that anchor our best lines can be shot down fairly easily. Duncan in the Frozen Four was shut down, Vande Velde, which by the way reminds me a lot of Bochenski, can easily disappear. Finley, has shown a tendency to over chase smaller forwards, requiring the need of another Sioux defender. Not good when you look at the smaller forwards on some of those teams.

In all, UND has a good team, a talented team, I just don't think we circle the puck enough. It doesn't mean we do not know how to do it, we just don't. When you look at the games where UND has dominated, they have circled the puck nicely.

One of my theories with Hask Teams, is that early in the season, when everyone has fresh legs, our "puck dump" style does not work well. Other teams match us body against body. AS the season wears, we are actually better conditioned, and as a result, our style of play works for a while. We have our second half runs. The problem though is that by Frozen Four time, we are also tired and the puck-circling style of others trumps our puck-dump style. My belief is that until UND becomes a puck circling team, we will continue to be overmatched in the Frozen four.

Who knows though, maybe we can ride Eidsness to the championship.

(Pssst. It's "cycle". As in cycle the puck.)

The only thing that concerns my about this Sioux team, as many have already pointed out, is the power play. It isn't bad enough that we've developed a rather inefficient approach of late, but giving up 2 shorties on one power play Saturday certainly exposes a problem or two.

I think he is referring to regrouping in the neutral zone and keeping puck possession vs. dumping the puck in and trusting your fore check to disrupt the other teams breakout.

When you are playing teams that either have defensemen who can consistantly gather the puck and beat the forecheck or a team who obstructs the forecheckers very well you often don't want to just turnover puck possession.

I don't subscribe to this being the primary reason UND has lost to BC the last few years, but I'd listen if someone claimed it was part of the problem.

Hey, 31-9 if the Sioux end up out east for a regional will you be there?

Edit: Why? Is my presence necessary and/or wanted? It should be . . . everytime I go to a Sioux game they win.

If I were still an undergrad I would be at whatever regional BU was at because I spent those 3 years as an indentured servant to the athletic department. Growing up kind of sucks, but since now I get to choose: If BU ends up in Manchvegas and the Sioux are in B'port, it would be easier for me to get to CT (quick train ride vs. driving several hours). I missed regionals for the first time last year and would love to go, but it all depends on school and whether I can drag my brother away from his 60 hour work week to accompany me.

I know for sure I wouldn't go back to Grand Rapids though. GR is a flat, vast barren wasteland with a six lane highway and a Steak 'n Shake. :whistling: Very nice people that work at the airport though, even at 4 in the morning. Van Andel does have really great buffalo nachos though.

I think a BU - UND rematch would be interesting, but beyond that I'd have no idea what to think. Both have freshmen goalies so I guess in the end it would come down to who plays better Eidsness or Millan/Rollheiser. And after watching the BU/NU games and then the UND/Wisco series I would guess that it would be a special teams battle. 5 x 5 the teams match up well. BU takes a lot of penalties (when HE refs are involved) but sometimes they get into this PK mode where they block shots like crazy bastards and well, NU found out how that turns out when they're in "that zone".

It would be awesome for BU and UND to face off in both the first and last games of their seasons. Any stat or historical gurus know how many times that's happened in the NCAA? :blush:

The only thing that concerns my about this Sioux team, as many have already pointed out, is the power play. It isn't bad enough that we've developed a rather inefficient approach of late, but giving up 2 shorties on one power play Saturday certainly exposes a problem or two.

How about giving up 5 SHG to one team in a single season?

When I used the word circling, I meant it as a "passing" the puck. As if making a circle with the puck. In every sport where the puck/ball is live (Basket Ball, Soccer, Hockey, Waterpolo etc) the better handling of the object, the better chances of success a team has. I compare it with Soccer.

Look at the teams that have won most of the world cups

Let me do us all a favor and just announce right now that I will NOT be attending any NCAA Tournaments, especially the Frozen Four, to cheer on our Fighting Sioux! From Columbus, Denver and to Detroit in December: I show up, but the team does not! Thus, I'll be staying home cheering from afar! It sucks, but the reality is just too stark to ignore any longer! (Please note, this truism only seems to work for tournament games, since we did beat the tar out of the gophers in January when I came back for that series!).

WHile our style can often be frustrating, I do not believe that it is incongruous with a national championship.

We play race horse hockey when other teams do too. We do very well when we carry the puck into the offensive zone with numbers and speed. THe key to the teams you are describing is not the overall philosophy, but the ability to put passes cleanly on the tape. This affects the PP, the ability to transition, the breakout...passes have got to be short, fast and on the tape. THis time of year it is huge. The key to those teams you are taling about is a defenseman or two who could really move the puck...Chay and Marto can skate, but Carle, Ballard, Martin, Leopold...those guys could really move that puck.

Dump and chase to cycle is stupid unless you are working on grinding down some dmen. The idea is that your forwards forecheck the defensemen religiously, 3 d pairs, 4 forward lines, forwards wear 'em down and win the third period. I don't agree with it, but it has worked.

I have stated that our chink in the armor is at the blueline; bad passes and hesitation leads to shorties. I attribute the abundance of shorties against us to poor play on the offensive blue line. As stated by me a million times, you live by the Chay, you die by the Chay...Genoway is gifted and I am glad he is on our team, that being said he will cough up the puck on occassion looking to make something happen, and that will result in odd mans and breakaways the other direction.

Here's someone that knows what they are talking about. From INCH "Found on a Cocktail Napkin." Item #8 on least desirable hockey awards.

TiVo Golden Remote: Goes to the referee who, despite using video replay, still makes the wrong call. The WCHA has a stranglehold on this award.

As if this is something we already didn't know. :whistling:

WHile our style can often be frustrating, I do not believe that it is incongruous with a national championship.

We play race horse hockey when other teams do too. We do very well when we carry the puck into the offensive zone with numbers and speed. THe key to the teams you are describing is not the overall philosophy, but the ability to put passes cleanly on the tape. This affects the PP, the ability to transition, the breakout...passes have got to be short, fast and on the tape. THis time of year it is huge. The key to those teams you are taling about is a defenseman or two who could really move the puck...Chay and Marto can skate, but Carle, Ballard, Martin, Leopold...those guys could really move that puck.

Dump and chase to cycle is stupid unless you are working on grinding down some dmen. The idea is that your forwards forecheck the defensemen religiously, 3 d pairs, 4 forward lines, forwards wear 'em down and win the third period. I don't agree with it, but it has worked.

I have stated that our chink in the armor is at the blueline; bad passes and hesitation leads to shorties. I attribute the abundance of shorties against us to poor play on the offensive blue line. As stated by me a million times, you live by the Chay, you die by the Chay...Genoway is gifted and I am glad he is on our team, that being said he will cough up the puck on occassion looking to make something happen, and that will result in odd mans and breakaways the other direction.

I agree, playing more of a dump and chase / cycle style of hockey does not mean we can not compete with teams that play with crisp passing and circling... Firstly UND doesnt always dump and chase for a cycle, thay do carry the puck when it seems advantageous to do so and they are very good at doing it, they can create very good chances with both offensive options and having the versatility of doing both and doing them well is GREAT. Secondly, you would notice a lot of NHL teams play a dump and chase style of game and it does work well...

Both styles of play have their pros and cons, it really depends on who plays THEIR STYLE OF HOCKEY and who plays it BETTER come game day!!! Any team can have an unstopable system but unless they use it properly during the game it means nothing, and when the pressure mounts as playoffs start we will see which teams have the discipline, focus and determination to play hard and smart hockey... and from what we have seen in 09 the Sioux seem to know how to play under pressure :whistling:

I don't think it's just the D-men on the PP, but the forwards have to get the puck back to them with authority. Case in point was I think the 2nd shortie (the rebound goal by Stepan) where Trupp, near the half-wall, lazily tried to flip the puck back to Genoway and Stepan was right there to pick it off and go in. This goes back to your point about crisp, quick passing without hesitation - especially on the PP.

I think the two week lapse between the regionals and the finals has put us on ice the last few years. I wish it would only be one week. But it would get in the way of precious Basketball. I HATE Basketball!!! :whistling: If Hak can find a way for the team to stay focused id say we would see another banner soon.

I think the two week lapse between the regionals and the finals has put us on ice the last few years. I wish it would only be one week. But it would get in the way of precious Basketball. I HATE Basketball!!! :whistling: If Hak can find a way for the team to stay focused id say we would see another banner soon.

I hate the fact that we have to wait so long. Two weeks is a long time.

Basketball wouldn't be so bad if they'd allow more checking, and quit giving them 17 timeouts each half! Play the game already! The last 2 minutes of a game should not last 25 minutes!

I think the two week lapse between the regionals and the finals has put us on ice the last few years. I wish it would only be one week. If Hak can find a way for the team to stay focused id say we would see another banner soon.

So, are the other Frozen Four teams scheduling games for the off weekend? If so, maybe Hak needs to go that route. :whistling:

I'm going to take the negative route, as that always tends to work out best for me with the Sioux....so no, I don't think we can win it all. Not a chance. :blush:

Yep that works for me as well and I also believe that SCSU and UAA have no chance of winning this weekend as well. :ohmy::whistling: