SiouxSports.com Forum

Do you believe?

yzerman19

What a rollercoaster ride this year. Our finish was even more dramatic due to the (even by Hak team standard) slow start. This begs the question to all ss.com fans, can we win it all? We've been to the F4 four straight, but haven't won the MacNaughton since #11 was our all-world pivot. What makes this team different? Obviously the depth, but what else are you seeing? Is it team instead of one NHL line? CLearly, but is that enough? We've got three rookies who certainly aren't playing that way anymore (Eidsness, Hexy and JG). We've got Marto coming into his own. We've got four lines who can score. We also are really lacking a second pk unit without Pointer. We live by the CHay and die by the Chay on the offensive blue line. We have a skilled puck moving forward doing his damndest on the point, but is he physical enough in our own end? Can we play d against a team like BU with the Miller/Blood combo on the ice? Will Watty, Dunc, Big Joe, Jonesy, Miller and Kozek lead the way? Pundits don't like our chances...I like being the underdog. I think this team will respond. What do you think? I'm looking for very little homerism and very much a no B.S. assessment.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the very start of the year, even when the results weren't working out, I liked this team better than those of the last few years. Even though I'm sure they weren't, it just felt like guys were waiting for Oshie to save the day. Now they save it themselves. I guess it feels more like a team.

That said, no one should be thinking this team is at all a favorite to go all the way. We're so proud of the 13-2-3 record in 2009. BU has lost 1 of its last 23. BU, Notre Dame and Michigan are heavy favorites right now, and the Sioux are in the next group of very good teams that have all the ingredients needed to win it all, if everything breaks their way. I'd love for UND to get a shot at one of those "favorites," because certainly no one is going to run them out of the building, but if they get that shot and lose, we shouldn't be surprised. (I'd personally prefer to avoid Michigan, because they are due against UND.)

In their favor, UND does have a goalie who is great at making the huge save. He's not perfect, but he has made a ton of big, big saves this year.

i love this team and its makeup overall. i do believe we can win it all but in no means saying we are a favorite as that would be crazy. its takes lucky bounces and tons of hard work to win the whole thing but as hak says usually working hard will create those bounces you need at times. cant wait for this weekend for it all to start. regular season is over. this team showed all of us fans what they are made of and lets enjoy this ride!! there isnt a clear cut favotite to win it this year and that has seemed to be the trend this decade. throw about 6-8 teams out there that could do some serious damage imo....man i love college hockey...........go sioux

ABSOLUTELY

All i can say is, i have had butterflys in my stomach for 2 weeks now, party nervousness, as the season is getting more and more important each week, but mainly excitement. this team is showing so much character and so much determination each week, i can only think of 2 games this year they have been out worked, which is a pretty good record for 18 games.

I am starting to have so much faith in the Sioux this year, i stayed as positive as i could during the worst times and just tried to wait out the storm, and finally when 2009 began we were all rewarded with absolutely superb Fighting Sioux Hockey.

I really do not know how to sum up this Sioux team, I can only give you 1 one word.....DETERMINATION !!!

I really believe that the Sioux are HUNGRY and really WANT to bring it all home this season, I think as they worked their way out of such a mess in the first half they really have come together as a team. Each of them really know their roles and know what has to be done, they are willing to leave it all on the ice to achieve their goal this season. With the disapointment of the last 4 seasons and the adversities they have overcome this season seem to have motivated this team to make sure they dont end up in the same position this year as they did the last 4 years. I think we could witness something special this year (knock on wood) and i cant wait for it all to unfold.

Heck I still believe the Gophers can win it all, so sure the Sioux could win it easily as well.

The draw is crucial as always. Some years it opens up for a team. Some years it's brutal.

The teams I'd want to avoid until the Frozen Four are the ones mentioned, BU, UMich and ND.

The teams I'd want to avoid until the Frozen Four are the ones mentioned, BU, UMich and ND.

I'd throw DU into that list as well, especially if they get Bozak back for the F5 and beyond.

I think UND has the talent and the experience to win it this year. But like has been mentioned, it depends alot on who they draw in the regionals. You've got to beat good teams to advance to the F4 regardless...kind of like the year the Sioux had to beat BC and BU...in Boston...in order to advance, but if they have to face BU, UM, ND, or DU in the regional, that would be tough. Odds are that one of those teams will be the #1 seed in UND's bracket though (unless the Sioux can win their way into a #1...).

This team is great. It's been fun to watch, but winning a title is in doubt in my mind. As balanced as we are, I just don't think the balance is good enough to beat 4 good teams in the playoffs. Call me a fair-weather fan. Call me an idiot. Call me what you want. I just don't think that we have the skill to win it all.

This team is full of great guys who have good chemistry and want it as bad as anyone. But ultimately you need both skill and good luck to win it. The biggest thing is, we struggle against teams who play good defense and focus on protecting their own net. Teams we play know this, and should play a style that tries to prevent us from taking the opposing zone with any momentum.

From the very start of the year, even when the results weren't working out, I liked this team better than those of the last few years. Even though I'm sure they weren't, it just felt like guys were waiting for Oshie to save the day. Now they save it themselves. I guess it feels more like a team.

That said, no one should be thinking this team is at all a favorite to go all the way. We're so proud of the 13-2-3 record in 2009. BU has lost 1 of its last 23. BU, Notre Dame and Michigan are heavy favorites right now, and the Sioux are in the next group of very good teams that have all the ingredients needed to win it all, if everything breaks their way. I'd love for UND to get a shot at one of those "favorites," because certainly no one is going to run them out of the building, but if they get that shot and lose, we shouldn't be surprised. (I'd personally prefer to avoid Michigan, because they are due against UND.)

In their favor, UND does have a goalie who is great at making the huge save. He's not perfect, but he has made a ton of big, big saves this year.

I will vouch for your early optimism.

Reading above it starts to remind me of 1997.

I think the team has a chance because they have solid goaltending and seem to have a fairly balanced offense. I worry if the defense is strong enough to shut down the opponents sufficiently. We could use LaPoint but such is life. Like Sagard says, anyone in the tourney has a chance and I think this team has the makeup to be a contender. I also agree they cannot be considered a favorite. Just a challenger. A team no one should want to face.

I also don't want to face MN in the tourney. Like yzerman19 said on another post, they owe us and one day that bill will come due. Just like we owe BC.

I think that #1 seed and last line change is huge. It allows Hak to match up and play to our strengths: depth among other things. That has to be a big reason why we haven't lost at home since November. I think it is even more critical down a regular defenseman. All the teams being mentioned are great, but they're all human and have been beaten by the likes of Providence, Ohio State, Miami...

All the teams being mentioned are great, but they're all human and have been beaten by the likes of Providence, Ohio State, Miami...

Providence I'll give you, but I think OSU and Miami have decent teams this year. Both of them are inconsistent, but they've still managed to get some good wins and both could make it into the tourney if things go their way.

I wondered if anybody would mention '97. This team Reminds me of them in some ways. Michigan was heavily favored then as BU is now, and I don't think very many saw the Sioux winning it. A lot of very good hockey players but not a superstar among them.

I really like this team, but it would take some real breaks to win it all. It will be real interesting to see how they fare in game 2 of the regionals, if they make it that far.

In all honesty I don't feel that great about this teams chances. I think they're playing pretty good hockey, and playing it at the right time of the season, but for some reason I just can't see this team winning the whole thing. I think an earlier poster summed it up beautifully....a lot depends on the draw. If UND ends up in a draw with Notre Dame I like their chances, but Michigan and Boston U scare the heck out of me. I think those two teams match up extremely well against UND, and would definitely create major problems for us in our own end.

And darnit....what if BC manages to sneak in...they own us.... :whistling:

Ohh well, its always fun watching UND play hockey in the post season. Here is to a great weekend of hockey and a great weekend down the line in St. Paul! And then, wherever they go! :blush:

OK, it seems there is a common notion in this thread, everybody is s#!t scared of BU and Mich, i can't say anything as i havent seen any of these teams other than at the ice breaker when the Sioux played BU (and i bet BU has developed since then just like the Sioux have).

So what are the characteristics of these teams, what are their main strengths that seem to impress everybody, What is making everybody scared of Mich and why is everyone clearly picking BU as their favourite for Nat Champs?? :whistling: I am just curious thats all!

Maybe i might watch a BU and Mich game before regionals, just to get a sense of their style of play and their strengths and most importantly their weaknesses (yes all teams have them even BU) :blush:

Any info from anyone who has watched either team play, that would be great!!!

if we Sioux fans have learned anything over the last several years it should be that team trumps talent. UND has had some of the most talented players ever to play NCAA hockey over the last six years, and we have not won. Meanwhile DU, Wisconsin, Michigan State all won with Teams that on paper couldn't carry Jonathan Toews' sticks. Team trumps talent.

BU is fast and skilled. Their top line is absolutely loaded; it is DOTesque skill wise. I've only seen two games, but they impressed. I don't know a thing about Michigan this year with the exception of they don't have the same scoring punch as last year.

BU is fast and skilled. Their top line is absolutely loaded; it is DOTesque skill wise. I've only seen two games, but they impressed. I don't know a thing about Michigan this year with the exception of they don't have the same scoring punch as last year.

Thanks for the info

Well everybody should know, having a DOT calibre top line doesnt even get you to the Nat champ game...........this is good, shutting down one line can be a lot easier than shutting down 4 lines that can all score!!!

I am confident that the Sioux CAN play with anybody in college hockey (knock on wood) as long as they are prepared to WORK BLOODY HARD and play their style of game for 60 minutes.

didn't the 97 team have an all American by the name Jason Blake on it?

He was a second team west all american the next year as a junior (98), but he wasn't a Heatley, Toews or Parise in his second year. I don't believe he was better as a sophomore than Duncan is as a senior.

I have just as much faith this season as any of the previous four seasons. Maybe even a little more this year. Just a gut feeling I have, but I really think this team could be the one to finally hang that 8th banner in the Ralph.

In a one-and-done tournament like this, I wonder how many of these #1 seeds are going to be watching the selection show praying that they don't get stuck in a Regional with UND?

Thanks for the info

Well everybody should know, having a DOT calibre top line doesnt even get you to the Nat champ game...........this is good, shutting down one line can be a lot easier than shutting down 4 lines that can all score!!!

I am confident that the Sioux CAN play with anybody in college hockey (knock on wood) as long as they are prepared to WORK BLOODY HARD and play their style of game for 60 minutes.

All four BU lines can score. So can all 3 defensive pairings. Basically everyone but Gryba and Strait can score.

Michigan this year I don't think is as good as last year, but getting Mitera and Kampfer back definitely helped and they've looked really good in the games I've seen them play since Feb. Palushaj is great and so is David Wohlberg.

Is it definitive that Bozak will be coming back? I think a lot of Denver's success will hinge on that.

I have just as much faith this season as any of the previous four seasons. Maybe even a little more this year. Just a gut feeling I have, but I really think this team could be the one to finally hang that 8th banner in the Ralph.

In a one-and-done tournament like this, I wonder how many of these #1 seeds are going to be watching the selection show praying that they don't get stuck in a Regional with UND?

I have had that same gut feeling ever since the Minnesota series. We have such depth that could take us there. I want to be realistic and it kills me each year when we fall short, if we do fall short, it was a wonderful season and there will be great things to come.

That being said I like our chances, as long as those chances go our way. Eidness makes those big saves while holding a lead or saving a game (ex. Saturday night CC, UW friday night). If were not scoring, he gives us life until those chances go our way. We're winning those close battles that championship teams win. With our depth and hunger, why not us this year? These seniors deserve it.

Go Sioux! 8 in 2009, sounds perfect to my ears!

You know, I'm not scared of BU. In fact, I want to play them again. Granted I prefer it be in the national championship game, but I would love to see the progress we've made since that first game. I think we are fully capable of going all the way if we play like I know we can. BU is a talented team, no doubt, but they are beatable. Same goes with other top teams like Notre Dame and Michigan. If we keep working hard I think we can make a statement, if nothing better than to prove everyone wrong.

In regards to the question on Jason Blake, he was a member of the team, but he was sitting out due to ineligibility since he transferred to UND after playing at Ferris State the previous year. So, to answer the question, "no, the 1997 Sioux did NOT have an All-American named Jason Blake on it."