SiouxSports.com Forum

Greene vs. Commodore

I wasn't around at UND when these two played. Looked like Greene had no choice but to stand up for his teammate. Pretty good fight though, kinda sad it was Sioux vs. Sioux.

very good fight, they patted eachother after. they will be probably skating over the summer together at the ralph.

Wow, so much for the brotherhood of Sioux alums. Very disappointing to see two guys who played for the same college team trying to injure each other. :lol:

You obviously don't have a brother.

Yes DaveK, even brothers fight sometimes.

Wow, so much for the brotherhood of Sioux alums. Very disappointing to see two guys who played for the same college team trying to injure each other. :lol:

Somehow I don't think Greene thought Commodore was trying to injure him, because if you notice when Commodore was on top of him, Greene gave him a pat. Hmmm, sounds like a brotherhood to me!

You need help. I can guarantee you that if these two meet up at a future Alum function they will shake hands and if the fight is brought up (probably by you) they will have a good laugh and compliment each other on a job well done.

don't bother getting into this discussion with davek. we all know his views on fighting, and he is entitled to them right or wrong, but he is hopelessly unobjective on the subject, and wants people to respond to him, so i say lets not. every time it happens, it ends up being people taking digs at each other, which is not what this board is for. we have visual evidence with the video here, and i think most of us took the same thing from it, so lets leave it at that. it was a pretty good scrap though. commie got the last word in, but greener held his own.

I didn't know those two fought. I wonder what their parents thought? If they were my kids I would chew their a$$es out in front of their teammates. You're never too old to be scolded by your parents.

Wow DaveK. You should maybe know something about the game of hockey before you start saying ridiculous comments. But then again your from Fargo so I get it. Why dont we talk about how South was the favorite to win state and ended up taking 4th place. And how about South trashing the lockerroom after they lost to Red River in the semi-finals! It took the Ralph staff 6 hours to clean up and good for them that they are sending a bill to Fargo South..Classless

I've had some verbal disagreements with my brother over the years but it never came to physical blows, and if it did I would hold a grudge for life. There are certain lines you just don't cross.

So, Dave, you have three boys or something like that, correct. You're saying if they got in a scrape and one happened to pop the other you'd recommend holding a grudge FOR LIFE?? Nice...

Please.... My brother and I used to fight all the time, we still do. But we are the best of friends and will always be. Just because you trade a few blows doesn't mean you have to hold a grudge for the rest of your life. Once it's settled you forgive and forget, and move on with your life like an adult. Is it the best way to settle things, of course not, but that's the way things go sometimes. Just because they were both Sioux does not mean they are forever forbidden to fight or hit each other, after all they aren't team mates anymore so whats the big deal. You are obviously being a goon on purpose to get a rise out of people.

The thing is we are talking about all of this in the confines of a game, not real-life blows. Do you honestly believe if Commodore punched Matt Greene on the street, Matt Greene would be giving him a pat on the back for a job well done? Get a little context here.

Not to take the bait, but..........................What the hell are you talking about DaveK? Go to the basketball section of this forum if you are so anti-fighting. Give me a break!!!!!

I say bring back fighting to the league. Five minute major, no ejections! That oughta pi$$ you off.

How did I know this thread would head south. :lol:

On topic - I call it a draw. Greene with some nice blows; Commie with the big smack and take-down. :angry:

yeah greene looked good then commie got a nice one in at the end. nice fight overall. as stated they patted eachother and they both knew it had to happen and then its done. two of the biggest bruisers we have seen at UND, even match up!

Wow DaveK. You should maybe know something about the game of hockey before you start saying ridiculous comments. But then again your from Fargo so I get it. Why dont we talk about how South was the favorite to win state and ended up taking 4th place. And how about South trashing the lockerroom after they lost to Red River in the semi-finals! It took the Ralph staff 6 hours to clean up and good for them that they are sending a bill to Fargo South..Classless

Please enlighten me......I didn'thear about this. Heard about EGF 5 years ago when they lost some meaningless game and took sticks and skates (kicking motion) to the toilets, sinks.

Wow, so much for the brotherhood of Sioux alums. Very disappointing to see two guys who played for the same college team trying to injure each other. :silly:
It's the other way around as I see it.Greene had to do what he had to do,Commodore said sure and the went at it.Simple as that.They showed respect for each other when they patted each other on the back when all was said and done.

Why doesn't that surprise me? :silly:

If anyone is interested in learning about the rules and unwritten rules behind fighting in hockey, I strongly recommend they read, 'The Code-The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL' by Ross Bernstein.

I wrote a letter to the Herald mailbag about five years ago, arguing why the NCAA's strict rules against fighting actually make the game more dangerous. Fighting actually cleans up the game when you factor in guys who use their sticks as weapons knowing they are less likely to face going face to face with fists. I'd take a fist to the face any day over the working end of a stick.

I enjoyed this book and it gave me a much better perspective on the rules of engagement and why fighting is necessary in an inherently violent game such as hockey.

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the Commodre/Greene fight. Greene was standing up for his team mate as well as sending a message to the other team that hey, "I'm the eyes and ears on this team, I will be watching so if you feel it necessary to take a run at one of my guys-fine. But know that there will be consequences, so think long and hard before you do." Commodre also should be commended for following the code-once Greene was down, Commodre let off and stopped punching once Greene was in a vulnerable position on his back.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now. I gotta get packed to fly out to Wisconsin for the big hockey series between the Sioux and Badgers! GO SIOUX!!!