SiouxSports.com Forum

Black Uniforms for the Football Team

octupus25

I have it from a good source that our AD is planning on introducing a black home football uniform. I don't like it. This isn't tradition. Are we changing our name to the North Dakota Raiders? If it was on the road, I could stomach it. At home? No way. Are we really to the point that we have to join the "third jersey" craze?

I couldn't care less if we go with black jerseys.

As long as we win it doesn't matter to me.

Agreed, I think it would be neat to have something to change it up every once in a while. I like the all white on the road, just gives another combonation and something different. Jerseys aren't a high priority on my list. Agree with Sioux27, as long as we win, it doesn't matter to me.

I thought UND's school colors were green and white? Guess not.

The Official Colors:

University Colors

The colors of PINK and GREEN, which remain the University's official colors, were chosen by the student body in 1889 when planning for UND's first commencement exercises. The choice was inspired by the pink and green of the prairie rose, North Dakota's official state flower, and "suggestive of our green prairies and rosy prospects." The official colors became green and white when it was determined that green and pink would not elicit a proper measure of respect from UND's opponents. In practice, the green and white is expressed in Pantone Matching System's 347 (PMS 347) and the occasional substitution of gray or black for white.

However, did you know ...

For a few years before 1917, black and gold became UND

I think it's stupid for teams to wear black jerseys when black isn't a school color. I wouldn't mind some black accents to go with the green jerseys.

black is an athletic color....that is why we don't wear pink. Pink and Green and white are the academic and official school colors. Black, green and white are the official athletic colors.

What do you guys think of names on the back of jerseys. This has been turned down every time it has come up at SU. I can understand the reasons to shake the look up a bit, with the move to D-I and probable name change. But at the same time it is also important to incorporate that with tradition. I would personally be against anything too drastic. How about throwbacks for one game? Break out the old silver helmets.

What do you guys think of names on the back of jerseys. This has been turned down every time it has come up at SU. I can understand the reasons to shake the look up a bit, with the move to D-I and probable name change. But at the same time it is also important to incorporate that with tradition. I would personally be against anything too drastic. How about throwbacks for one game? Break out the old silver helmets.

westsidebison can we tap into the unlimited budget of NDSU football to get this accomplished? Just wondering since the D1 move is so inexpensive. Seems like a complete waste of money to me.

I think it's stupid for teams to wear black jerseys when black isn't a school color. I wouldn't mind some black accents to go with the green jerseys.

I think the hockey and basketball teams look pretty sharp when they don the black unis.

I have always been in favor of having player names on the back of jerseys. I get the whole "we play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back" argument, but it makes it alot easier for the casual fan to identify players, especially for identifying players for visiting teams.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish they had kept the same collar and cuffs as they currently have. It was neat how they tied in with the hockey uniforms. One thing that I would like to see UND do is tie all of the various sports' uniforms together and have a similar look.

The North Dakota seems rather small and hard to read.

I don't like the interlocking "ND".

The old ones looked great and would have been fine with just adding "North Dakota".

I don't like.

I wish they had kept the same collar and cuffs as they currently have. It was neat how they tied in with the hockey uniforms. One thing that I would like to see UND do is tie all of the various sports' uniforms together and have a similar look.

The North Dakota seems rather small and hard to read.

I don't like the interlocking "ND".

The old ones looked great and would have been fine with just adding "North Dakota".

I don't like.

How about the colors are they at least good enough for you? :glare:

Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion and I respect those. Its funny but I thought the exact opposite. I'm glad they got rid of the colors similar to the hockey uniforms. It just didn't fit in my opinion. It didn't necessarily look bad but I don't think it looked good either. I like the new ones, wish their would have been pictures of black ones on their too.

How about the colors are they at least good enough for you? :glare:

Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion and I respect those. Its funny but I thought the exact opposite. I'm glad they got rid of the colors similar to the hockey uniforms. It just didn't fit in my opinion. It didn't necessarily look bad but I don't think it looked good either. I like the new ones, wish their would have been pictures of black ones on their too.

I like the uniforms too bad the Sioux logo couldn't replace the ND's on the sleeves. But with the name change thing the Sioux logo is slowly disappearing. The big question I have is are the Sioux hockey team going to have new uniforms with just North Dakota on the front and no Sioux logo like in 1993 when they got rid of the Blackhawk logo??