SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ UAA

AZSIOUX

Thought this was interesting on the Sioux blog.

Records since 2009 started:

UND 10-1-2

St. Cloud State 7-4-1

Minnesota-Duluth 8-5

Wisconsin 6-5

Denver 5-4-3

Colorado College 4-3-3

MSU-Mankato 5-6

Minnesota 5-7-1

Anchorage 3-7-3

Michigan Tech 0-7-4

That's insane. Hopefully the Sioux can keep it up!

I'm getting ahead of myself but under Hak there has been progress in the WCHA:

2005-5th place

2006-4th place

2007-3rd place

2008-2nd place

2009-:silly:? fill it in guys

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get what you're getting at?

I think what he's trying to say is that first place is very attainable right now and, since Hak has shown increasing success as a head coach in regular season standings over his time with UND, first place is only to be expected.

The :silly: was just a prompt by the coding not part of what he is saying.

Anchorage is a nice city and it is bigger than GF, so I can completely understand that perspective.

Also, I think UAA is perpetually screwed. Why? Because, unless you are from Alaska, BC, Alberta, or Yukon (if any hockey is played there at all), it's way out there and hard to get to inexpensively. It may not even be cheap to fly there from BC or Alberta!

Being away from home is hard for kids, and many of them have already done so for 2-3 years while in juniors. So, how would you sell going even farther away from home for 4 more years?

I think Shyiak has one of the hardest recruiting jobs in all of college hockey.

He also faces a tough fan base too because they DO respond better to winning teams.

It's a no-win situation for him and UAA.

Recruiting is tough for the program at UAA. Local blue chippers like Trupp are ready to go somewhere different than home and it is a tough sell to get kids to come here from elsewhere. They do seem ready to come home after college and play for the Aces though after they have been gone for a bit. They are doing a pretty good job recruiting in the BCHL and AJHL. They have a tough time getting USHL kids though. Also, a kid goes on a recruit visit in GF and gets exposed to the great rink and best fans in the league and then comes here to the libraryesque atmosphere and it becomes a no brainer on where you want to go. They do play hockey in the Yukon and UAA has a kid from there. Tuton is from Whitehorse. GO SIOUX!

I don't get what you're getting at?

I think I put in one too many question marks, I didn't intend for the icon to be there. my point was that every season under hak we have finished one place higher than the previous year and according to the progression we would finish first this year as we finished second last year.

Did anyone notice that when the Sioux were getting tied up on the sideboards in the offensive zone they would, per one of their standard offensive cycling schemes, throw the puck to the other side (weak side) boards.

Usually this is an effective cycling tactic for the Sioux but it seemed to me that it doesn't work so well on the big ice sheet. The winger on the recieving side who is in the center ice before the pass comes around to his side cannot get to the boards in time to do anything good with it. And it seemed that UAA was waiting for it and scheming odd man breakouts from this. because it's a reasonable turnover opportunity..

I'm pretty sure this is what happened when UAA scored and again when they almost scored on that rush at the end.

I didn't get to see the whole game so I might be off on this. Im just curious if anyone else observed this happening??

I wonder if they are singing ouooo0000OOOOOOOO up there today :lol:

How Sad is that empty arena our mite games draw better than that :silly:

That is a travesty, it is like the old saying there is a hockey game in Anchorage will anyone see it or here it?

There were more people at the Central and Red River game last night. I would be willing to bet more people from the Greater

Grand Forks area were watching the game than the Anchorage fans. I don't buy this crap about how there is so much more things to do

in Anchorage. It is the dead of winter up there. Friday, February 20, 2009 at Sullivan Arena (Att: 3679) I would be willing to bet

that there wasn't that many people in the arena.

That is a travesty, it is like the old saying there is a hockey game in Anchorage will anyone see it or here it?

There were more people at the Central and Red River game last night. I would be willing to bet more people from the Greater

Grand Forks area were watching the game than the Anchorage fans. I don't buy this crap about how there is so much more things to do

in Anchorage. It is the dead of winter up there. Friday, February 20, 2009 at Sullivan Arena (Att: 3679) I would be willing to bet

I think I posted this last week but since it's being discussed....

A seaplane pilot up here (he's a WCHA fan from Orr, MN) told me that when the Seawolves were a DII team, the arena was sold out for almost all the games. Every year you had to stand in line for your season tickets and every year they sold out. Since they've been DI, interest has shifted to the Aces hockey team. It really is too bad. Should the program have stayed DII? Maybe?

3679 my foot I would be willing to bet closer to 10.

...Should the [ Seawolves ]program have stayed DII? Maybe?

They didn't have any choice, really.

The NCAA shut down DII hockey; there isn't any. Schools that were there had to chose to move up or become DIII teams, which IIRC is non-scholarship.

Bemidji State was DII national champ five times if memory serves me. Mankato State won the DII title in 1980! And Alabama-Huntsville won one of the last DII titles before NCAA shut it down in 1999. I think in 1980 all three college hockey titles were held by schools with which "we" are all well acquainted: UND (DI), Mankata (DII) and Bemidji won one of its NAIA titles.

Goon, it is indeed a travesty. UAA devotees do not understand the communities non-support either. The University must do a better job promoting the program. It sounds like people down there saw the embarrassing dancing feet commercials that we are forced to watch on the GCI telecast. This is the advertising that goes on up here for the Seawolves. As far as things to do in Anchorage go, I will not argue with you. If you are convinced that GF is on par with Anchorage as a metropolitan area with entertainment options then that is that (but you are horribly mistaken.) haha. The team is much improved and competive on a nightly basis in the toughest league in the nation. Having said that, Sioux win tonight 5-1 for the sweep. Lets Go Sioux

I think I put in one too many question marks, I didn't intend for the icon to be there. my point was that every season under hak we have finished one place higher than the previous year and according to the progression we would finish first this year as we finished second last year.

I was JOKING!

Man, I gotta work on my delivery. (Nice trend you spotted I have a feeling you're right on it!)

They didn't have any choice, really.

The NCAA shut down DII hockey; there isn't any. Schools that were there had to chose to move up or become DIII teams, which IIRC is non-scholarship.

Bemidji State was DII national champ five times if memory serves me. Mankato State won the DII title in 1980! And Alabama-Huntsville won one of the last DII titles before NCAA shut it down in 1999. I think in 1980 all three college hockey titles were held by schools with which "we" are all well acquainted: UND (DI), Mankata (DII) and Bemidji won one of its NAIA titles.

Thanks for this info!

I was convinced that UM Crookston was DII for some reason. I stand corrected. Thanks. :silly: