SiouxSports.com Forum

Gwoz's antics were the Sioux's fault

dagies

My brother has a cabin near Lee Davidson (former Sioux player, former UMD assistant). Davidson shared a story with him about an end of the season coaches meeting in Florida (I think). Gwoz often wouldn't participate in the golfing events, etc. Apparently he came across as pretty arrogrant (imagine that). Anyway, one night he was in a bar and was lipping off about something and one of the other coaches dumped a pitcher of beer on his head. If he was such a saint of a guy, odds are good he wouldn't draw that kind of reaction. :silly:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother has a cabin near Lee Davidson (former Sioux player, former UMD assistant). Davidson shared a story with him about an end of the season coaches meeting in Florida (I think). Gwoz often wouldn't participate in the golfing events, etc. Apparently he came across as pretty arrogrant (imagine that). Anyway, one night he was in a bar and was lipping off about something and one of the other coaches dumped a pitcher of beer on his head. If he was such a saint of a guy, odds are good he wouldn't draw that kind of reaction. :silly:

Doesn't the code mean you have to go at that point? :D

Ha, Ha, ha, that is some classic stuff. I wonder who the coach was?

UND's fault, huh? OK.

Let's look at a few items:

What would most people say heated up this rivalry in recent years ? IMO, it was the hit by Paukovitch on Bina in the WCHA tourny back in 2005. A blatant, flagrant cheap shot. When Gwoz recruited Paukovitch there was no possible way he could have known the type of character he had...nothing in his background that would raise any red flags, right ? While Robbie Bina had to spend over a year out of hockey, Gwoz's response was to suspend him for one game. Sounds like a fair punishment :silly:

Two years ago in Denver, Prpich "nuts" Paukovitch during a faceoff, Gwoz goes crazy, jumps on the dasher and gets kicked out of the game. Should Prpich have done that ? No, but it is hard for me to feel sorry for Paukovitch, what goes around...bit of a payback. Gwoz still needs to control his own actions.

Last year at the Ralph. Fight breaks out at the end of the period. Why ? Major cause was Denvers constant "dumping" of the bench onto the ice at the end of every period in direct violation of the NCAA rules. A few UND players heading toward their own bench passed thru this "dump" and guess what happens. Bumping and pushing escalates while Denver has a 20-5 man advantage. Radke hears the roar and comes back out to help his teammates. Who's at fault here ? I would blame this on Gwoz for allowing his team to dump on the ice after the period and on the officials for allowing it. Notice this past w/e at the end of every period at least one official would race toward the Denver bench to keep them from doing this. My take is that it is not the officials job to prevent a team from committing a penalty. They should have stayed away, then called a minor penalty on Denver if they came off the bench onto the ice...that would quickly fix the problem.

This year in Fridays game, Denver got away with a lot of "stick work" throughout the game. In the third period Testwuide blatently spears Vandevelde along the boards then gives him two hard cross-checks. Scrum breaks out. Looks like UND started another fight :D . Denver's team is getting spanked on the ice and can't handle it so they resort to cheap stuff. Again, who's fault is that...Gwoz, maybe ? His captain is the one doing a large part of the cheap shots. Lead by example.

Saturday night, Gwoz thinks Vandevelde should have been called for a penalty so he goes nuts again. If all coaches went nuts on a missed call or whenever they think the officials have a bad night then games would run 5 hours long. It appears to me that Gwoz can't control himself or his team. The DU admin response is "this was wrong, coach realizes this". Dang that is a harsh response. Not a peep from Gwoz himself. I doubt he is sorry for his actions.

The Denver backers of Saint George are delusional if they think it is UND's fault. Mike Chambers might want to look at things objectively (nah, that would ruin a good story) instead of kissing up to Gwoz.

Very well said!

I would like to add that Hak didn't do the dash dance when one of our guys ( I forget who) gets pulled down by the facemask from behind during play and we get no call. It was on a delayed DU penalty on Friday night behind their net and it was VERY blantant.

T

Very well said!

I would like to add that Hak didn't do the dash dance when one of our guys ( I forget who) gets pulled down by the facemask from behind during play and we get no call. It was on a delayed DU penalty on Friday night behind their net and it was VERY blantant.

T

I believe they called the jerk for a misconduct so it was not a team penalty. The lack of a firm hand at that point only encouraged the scrum that happened a few moments (on the game clock) later.

After a while, it gets almost comical. Maybe the Sioux should be as arrogant and cocky as Gwoz himself and just accept that everybody is going to assume the worst when there are incidents in a game involving the Sioux. Their attitude should just be that "yeah we intimidate every little wussy team in the league, so what are you going to do about it?" Gwoz is one of those rare idiots that talks behind the backs of whomever he isn't around. When he is in UND circles, he mocks "gopher pride", when he is outside he mocks the Sioux. Why should anyone care what a two-faced jerk like that thinks anyway?

GWOZ is a joke...What a no-class coach, he complained to the ref's all weekend...To the extent that it slowed the game down numerous times Friday night...

Denver can have this loser...Heated Rivalry or not, this dude should have gotten something...

I'm not sure why every line change the Line'sman & Ref had to go explain something to him...

His team melted down Friday, and he melted down Saturday...

Here's hoping Denver Melts down the rest of the year...

Go Sioux

Funny, I commented on the Chambers blog, no profanity, nothing bad, other than to point out the difference in his and the post game interview, as well as pointing out that either he or Gwoz was a liar. It was there for a bit, but has now been removed. I'll try once more, unless I've been banned.

I had a post taken down and it wasn't filled with Profanity and wasn't out of hand.

GWOZ is a joke...What a no-class coach, he complained to the ref's all weekend...To the extent that it slowed the game down numerous times Friday night...

Denver can have this loser...Heated Rivalry or not, this dude should have gotten something...

I'm not sure why every line change the Line'sman & Ref had to go explain something to him...

His team melted down Friday, and he melted down Saturday...

Here's hoping Denver Melts down the rest of the year...

Go Sioux

You're right Gwoz complained to the refs all weekend long, he literally added 20 minutes to both games last weekend with his excessive whining and complaining to the refs, when he wasn't complaining one of his players were. I remember hak giving Campion the lets get it going signal like three times.

I had a post taken down and it wasn't filled with Profanity and wasn't out of hand.

My second one was up but has now been take down. I left out the "liar" comment and just quoted the post game interview and asked which was the correct one, Chambers or PCM. Guess he doesn't want quotes that don't match what he wrote.

Tried #3, with just a link to the USCHO game recap. Seems that Mr. Chambers doesn't want another journalist's article that contradict his fiction. Interesting.

My second one was up but has now been take down. I left out the "liar" comment and just quoted the post game interview and asked which was the correct one, Chambers or PCM. Guess he doesn't want quotes that don't match what he wrote.

Wow, that is some classic stuff, OBAMA should hire him for press secretary. :silly:

I'm getting a little ahead of myself. but theoretically with the ncaa possible going to more of a regionalized tournament. it wouldn't be out of the question for und,du and minn to all be placed at mariucci. with us as a 4 seed and du and minn as 2 and 3 seeds. that would be a fun regional.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself. but theoretically with the ncaa possible going to more of a regionalized tournament. it wouldn't be out of the question for und,du and minn to all be placed at mariucci. with us as a 4 seed and du and minn as 2 and 3 seeds. that would be a fun regional.

that would be a fun regional, although we will most likely see those teams at the final five too, it's nice to whoop up on some east coast teams once in a while. and it wouldn't be at the john, as they are trying to get neutral sites now, so it would probably have to be somewhere neutral like the x :silly: (the regional is at the john i think, was just being facetious as the x is our ss.com goofer faithful's favorite "neutral" site)

that would be a fun regional, although we will most likely see those teams at the final five too, it's nice to whoop up on some east coast teams once in a while. and it wouldn't be at the john, as they are trying to get neutral sites now, so it would probably have to be somewhere neutral like the x :silly: (the regional is at the john i think, was just being facetious as the x is our ss.com goofer faithful's favorite "neutral" site)

it is at the john this year. next year the regional is at the x.

Funny, I commented on the Chambers blog, no profanity, nothing bad, other than to point out the difference in his and the post game interview, as well as pointing out that either he or Gwoz was a liar. It was there for a bit, but has now been removed. I'll try once more, unless I've been banned.

This happened to me on Roman Augustovitz' Gopher blog on the Star Trib website after the series where I challenged some of the assertions in his blog post, and the charges levied by the email he posted from a reader. Actually, he just never approved the post for some reason.

Another reason to appreciate the coverage and effort we get from Brad Schlossman. I've never seen anyone complain about comments on his blog.