SiouxSports.com Forum

Gwoz's antics were the Sioux's fault

dagies

Yes, a 2 official system does decrease obstruction. But again, it also assumes that the head office wants a consistent crack down on that. The WCHA is notorious for simply stopping the consistent calling of whatever crackdown they say they are going to crack down on approximately half way through the season and claiming that the drop off is due to the league simply being so good they don't commit those penalties anymore.

Sicatoka -- This thread is worn out. Expecting accountability out of the WCHA front office is like expecting George W. Bush to win a Nobel Prize in Astrophysics. It's just not going to happen... at least not with this leadership.

I think the WCHA HAS to enforce the obstruction this season. From the aticle I red last week it sounds like there is going to be little wiggle room.

Also, I wonder if th EZAC will crack down on the obstruction?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the WCHA HAS to enforce the obstruction this season. From the aticle I red last week it sounds like there is going to be little wiggle room.

Also, I wonder if th EZAC will crack down on the obstruction?

Little wiggle room?

With whom?

McLeod? He doesn't have the balls to hold Shepherd accountable.

Shepherd? There's no motivation for him to do so since his boss doesn't have the balls to hold him accountable. Even if McLeod locates the balls, Shepherd in all likelihood doesn't have the system of accountability to enforce any heavy handed rule that is created. He's everyone's friend, after all. And friend's don't break the balls of friends, right? I mean, see the Ford family in how they handled Matt Millen. See Gene Taylor and his relationship with Kevin McHale. It's the SAME THING.

The only way to truly enforce any crackdowns is to crackdown on the people who routinely don't enforce it. That means Shepherd and McLeod. From there, the new regime can evaluate the current stock of officials and make changes as necessary.

The poor new regime will have to deal with the utter mess that is WCHA officiating though they won't have to change much in the way of policy in general. They can't fire everyone who needs dismissal or they'll be unable to put enough officials on the ice to maintain at least SOME semblence of quality.

In my (dream) scenario, the new regime finds a way to keep everyone around and simply replace those who don't belong at the end of every season in a gradual turnover. The first two out would undoubtedly be Don Adam and perhaps Todd Anderson.

Like I said, my (dream) scenario is to have the new Head of officials be someone who has NHL officiating experience or, even (if it is possible) someone who works with the NHL's Head of Officials (such as the Assistant Head of Officials if such a position exists).

Remember, we view the WCHA to be an elite conference in Amateur hockey. However, last season, two USHL officials made their NHL officiating debuts. If that's the case, then why didn't the WCHA try to nab them before the NHL did? Maybe they wouldn't have been able to woo them to the WCHA, but we need to get into the game of developing officials that have a reputation beyond that of what we think of when we think of the current WCHA officiating staff.

Little wiggle room?

With whom?

McLeod? He doesn't have the balls to hold Shepherd accountable.

Shepherd? There's no motivation for him to do so since his boss doesn't have the balls to hold him accountable. Even if McLeod locates the balls, Shepherd in all likelihood doesn't have the system of accountability to enforce any heavy handed rule that is created. He's everyone's friend, after all. And friend's don't break the balls of friends, right? I mean, see the Ford family in how they handled Matt Millen. See Gene Taylor and his relationship with Kevin McHale. It's the SAME THING.

The only way to truly enforce any crackdowns is to crackdown on the people who routinely don't enforce it. That means Shepherd and McLeod. From there, the new regime can evaluate the current stock of officials and make changes as necessary.

The poor new regime will have to deal with the utter mess that is WCHA officiating though they won't have to change much in the way of policy in general. They can't fire everyone who needs dismissal or they'll be unable to put enough officials on the ice to maintain at least SOME semblence of quality.

In my (dream) scenario, the new regime finds a way to keep everyone around and simply replace those who don't belong at the end of every season in a gradual turnover. The first two out would undoubtedly be Don Adam and perhaps Todd Anderson.

Like I said, my (dream) scenario is to have the new Head of officials be someone who has NHL officiating experience or, even (if it is possible) someone who works with the NHL's Head of Officials (such as the Assistant Head of Officials if such a position exists).

Remember, we view the WCHA to be an elite conference in Amateur hockey. However, last season, two USHL officials made their NHL officiating debuts. If that's the case, then why didn't the WCHA try to nab them before the NHL did? Maybe they wouldn't have been able to woo them to the WCHA, but we need to get into the game of developing officials that have a reputation beyond that of what we think of when we think of the current WCHA officiating staff.

USHL officials aspire to move up, and the WCHA is not "moving up" from the USHL in the officiating sense. WCHA officials aren't going anywhere, except to the retirement home.

Remember, we view the WCHA to be an elite conference in Amateur hockey. However, last season, two USHL officials made their NHL officiating debuts. If that's the case, then why didn't the WCHA try to nab them before the NHL did?

Status quo is why they didn't. Shepherd doesn't want anyone showing up his stooges.

The only hope is that the WCHA coaches looked up this spring and saw:

- Denver absolutely out-skated by Miami in the opening round

- a speed-and-skate Bemidji State team playing in Washington DC

The days of players hooking and holding each other up and down the ice should be finally over. I can't believe anyone want to watch that type of hockey. The NHL saw the light and for the most part has called its game the right way. The games should be called by the rule book and not based on the score or some other factor.

The days of players hooking and holding each other up and down the ice should be finally over. I can't believe anyone want to watch that type of hockey. The NHL saw the light and for the most part has called its game the right way. The games should be called by the rule book and not based on the score or some other factor.

Then don't watch WCHA hockey. That's their MO.

I hope you're right, but it seems like every season that things start with good intentions and then it's back to the same old crap by January.

It seems with their latest meetings on the rules the NCAA said this:

Protecting the puck carrier

Last year, the NCAA

the WCHA...

Best talent in the country

Greatest winning tradition in the NCAA

Best facilities in college hockey

Worst officiating and horse-shi# management of any league including the Federal League (featured in Slap Shot...the Movie)

the WCHA...

Best talent in the country

Greatest winning tradition in the NCAA

Best facilities in college hockey

Worst officiating and horse-shi# management of any league including the Federal League (featured in Slap Shot...the Movie)

I'm RedWing77 and I also approve of this message.

Well stated.