SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Pioneers

siouxnami

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet but Gwoz is claiming that he was just walking to the locker room and that's the reason he went onto the ice....nice try Gwoz I'm not buying that one bit. The article also mentions that Hextall was grabbed by someone on the bench and that's the call Gwoz was initially complaining about. I watched the FSN telecast and they didn't say what the initial unsportsmanlike conduct call was for, anybody see what happened to Hextall? Denver Post Article

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet but Gwoz is claiming that he was just walking to the locker room and that's the reason he went onto the ice....nice try Gwoz I'm not buying that one bit. The article also mentions that Hextall was grabbed by someone on the bench and that's the call Gwoz was initially complaining about. I watched the FSN telecast and they didn't say what the initial unsportsmanlike conduct call was for, anybody see what happened to Hextall? Denver Post Article

i think gwoz was joking when he said that i believe. also i believe gwoz was mad about a hit maybe hextall did by the du bench. i could be wrong on that but i read that somewhere.

Wow, the author for the Post kinda made Gwoz look like an idiot after chopping that quote a little short.

Over on USCHO.COM the denver fans are applauding the Dasher Troll's actions.

I think that his actions at the REA on Saturday made him look like a total moron and a jerk.

I think that his actions at the REA on Saturday made him look like a total moron and a jerk.

I wish so bad that a video of him cupping his ears with his goonish face towards the student section as they chanted "F you Denver!" came about. He looked like a class act when that happened.

Not sure if this has come up as I haven't been able to read all of the threads on this, but you tell me which is worse:

A) A coach that in the heat of the moment and on impulse flips the bird to a ref.

B) A coach that has time to think about what is going on and after how many minutes walks onto and across the ice "in protest" or whatever her was trying to do.

Don't get me wrong...I am not defending Hakstol flipping off a referee. He got suspended 2 games for that and he deserved to. All I am saying is that you could argue Hakstol's incident was more in the heat of the moment reaction (like dropping an F-bomb) and Gwozdecky had time to think through his actions before he walked across the ice. Could (and should) have Hakstol thought through his actions? Yes...again, I am not defending him. We'll see how Gwozdecky is judged and how his actions are remembered compared to Hakstol flipping a ref off - we all know how opposing fans like to bring that up.

What stood out to me while watching the game is that the officials, once again, showed their inability to control the game.

I don't believe they had to allow that much time chatting with Denver's captain (Testwuide?) regarding the bench minor and then the assistant ref having a pleasant discussion with Gwodecky. What the heck was that?! It was capped off when the ref had to take the assistant ref by the arm and lead him away from Gwozdecky.

I understand officials having to explain the call when challenged at times but to me it seemed that the refs were waaaay to complacent in enforcing their call when challenged and allowing Gwodecky to delay the game as he did.

The officials were accomplicies to the delay as far as I'm concerned...

It was interesting to see the different announcer comments and camera views between FSSN and Fox RM (as I was watching it on Fox RM). It gave me a different perspective on Hakstol's thoughts on what was going on, "What the hell is that idiot doing? Why are you allowing him to go on like this? Where's the delay of game?"

I wish so bad that a video of him cupping his ears with his goonish face towards the student section as they chanted "F you Denver!" came about. He looked like a class act when that happened.

I think he was cuping his ears to the refs because he wanted an explanation as to what happened. But I wouldn't give his little sideshow a response either. I may be wrong but that is what I got out of it.

Alot of people are talking about Denver getting five straight power plays, which seems alittle excessive, but remember UND also had four straight power plays earlier in the game which may have led to Dwozs frustration with the officials.

technically it would have been 3 in a row as the fourth was gwaz's penalty.

What stood out to me while watching the game is that the officials, once again, showed their inability to control the game.

I don't believe they had to allow that much time chatting with Denver's captain (Testwuide?) regarding the bench minor and then the assistant ref having a pleasant discussion with Gwodecky. What the heck was that?! It was capped off when the ref had to take the assistant ref by the arm and lead him away from Gwozdecky.

I understand officials having to explain the call when challenged at times but to me it seemed that the refs were waaaay to complacent in enforcing their call when challenged and allowing Gwodecky to delay the game as he did.

The officials were accomplicies to the delay as far as I'm concerned...

It was interesting to see the different announcer comments and camera views between FSSN and Fox RM (as I was watching it on Fox RM). It gave me a different perspective on Hakstol's thoughts on what was going on, "What the hell is that idiot doing? Why are you allowing him to go on like this? Where's the delay of game?"

A lot of posters on this forum like to rip the NHL, but you have to admit their officials have control of the game.

It's rare an NHL referee has to explain a penalty call to a captain, rarer still when they go talk to the coach.

It seems every penalty in the WCHA needs explaination to the team captain and then the coach, which delays the game at least 1-2 minutes.

A lot of posters on this forum like to rip the NHL, but you have to admit their officials have control of the game.

It's rare an NHL referee has to explain a penalty call to a captain, rarer still when they go talk to the coach.

It seems every penalty in the WCHA needs explaination to the team captain and then the coach, which delays the game at least 1-2 minutes.

Let's take two examples. After the scrum on Friday the officials took a long time to figure things out. That was smart to give the players time to cool off.

On Saturday the Sioux were flying. Spazzdecky started slowing the game down and change the flow of the game.

At the point of the Spazz'z fit the teams were playing hockey, not mixing it up. There's no excuse to slow down the game.

Wow, the author for the Post kinda made Gwoz look like an idiot after chopping that quote a little short.

The Rocky Mountain News hired a local Grand Forks writer for the story, electing not to send beat writer Pat Rooney, as the paper is likey to fold in a matter of weeks.

I would guess that the article's author was very likely your very own Patrick C. Miller. :glare:

Denver University should fire Gwozdesky.

He fails to control his team. In fact, he promotes undiciplined behavior. Think about last year when he pushed his players toward ours, again on the ice, in some sort of a sick make them fight bad soccer parent behavior.

Then this year.

The aritcle in the Denver has Cody Brookwell quoted as saying 'We talked about it' and "There is a time and place (to fight), and there are guys on this team willing to go with a guy. That's part of the game, and sometimes it needs to be dealt with."

You could see in the Firday game that DU was Jacked-up after getting thier arrrsses kicked in a fair way and they got very cheap in repsonse. Please note, I have no problem with a team standing up for themselves. Heck the Sioux have to do that often, but we don't do it in a cheap way.

Pioneers were pulling our players down by grabbing thier facemask from behind during play and didn't get calledh (how I have no idea), coming up behind our players and slamming repeaded cross checks in their backs during puck battles on the boards and constantly trying to break things down to a fight.

I had the feeling all of this was promoted by Gwoz.

...not to mention that he is the most histrionic coach I have ever seen.

He should go. IMHO

i think gwoz was joking when he said that i believe. also i believe gwoz was mad about a hit maybe hextall did by the du bench. i could be wrong on that but i read that somewhere.

Obviously, regarding his circuitous route to the guest locker room, George was channeling his inner Rick Blaine, the hero/anti-hero of the classic "Casablanca." Viz.:

Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?

Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.

Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.

Rick: I was misinformed.

He fails to control his team. In fact, he promotes undiciplined behavior. Think about last year when he pushed his players toward ours, again on the ice, in some sort of a sick make them fight bad soccer parent behavior.

He should go. IMHO

I think that's a good point.

I believe DU also got a bench penalty on that call since it was served by Matt glasser. Thus it was UND's forth straight

power play.

Right, but I don't think it's fair to count that 4th penalty because it's the one Gwoz got for protesting the officiating to that point. If we're going to count the 4th, let's count the missing "delay of game" penalty that SHOULD have been called! :glare:

I think I saw that on the FSN Rocky Mountain telecast, not that it bothered me.

I think he was cuping his ears to the refs because he wanted an explanation as to what happened. But I wouldn't give his little sideshow a response either. I may be wrong but that is what I got out of it.

I watched the FSN telecast when I got home and they didn't show what I saw, and the whole opposite side of the arena saw. There was a different moment, if I remember correctly, where he actually was trying to hear something. But, what I saw, and what I think goon saw, was something completely different.

Then this year.

The aritcle in the Denver has Cody Brookwell quoted as saying 'We talked about it' and "There is a time and place (to fight), and there are guys on this team willing to go with a guy. That's part of the game, and sometimes it needs to be dealt with."

You could see in the Firday game that DU was Jacked-up after getting thier arrrsses kicked in a fair way and they got very cheap in repsonse. Please note, I have no problem with a team standing up for themselves. Heck the Sioux have to do that often, but we don't do it in a cheap way.

Pioneers were pulling our players down by grabbing thier facemask from behind during play and didn't get calledh (how I have no idea), coming up behind our players and slamming repeaded cross checks in their backs during puck battles on the boards and constantly trying to break things down to a fight.

I had the feeling all of this was promoted by Gwoz.

IMO Gwoz's biggest mistake was not just going and sitting down in the penalty box. I, for one, would have thought that was one of the funniest things I've seen, and we'd be laughing about that instead of complaining about all the other stuff.

...not to mention that he is the most histrionic coach I have ever seen.

He should go. IMHO

I don't have a real problem with Gwoz. Last year he wanted his players to stick up for their teammates. We rip on Lucia for having Bickle hide behind him while they take cheap shots and run, but also complain because Gwoz wants his players to stick up for each other.

I don't see a whole lot about what Brookwell said that is out of line either. I took that to mean they expected a physical series and if things get out of hand the Sioux can expect them to back it up. Look at that as a backhanded swipe at some other teams, perhaps.