SiouxSports.com Forum

UND, NDSU, & the Legislature

SiouxCrew11

Bill would require NDSU and UND to play an annual football game

The state is trying to get involved in the UND vs. North Dakota State rivalry.

Rep. Weezie Potter, D-Grand Forks, has introduced a bill in the North Dakota House that mandates that UND and NDSU play an annual football game.

;)

Government should stay out of such matters.

Edited by GeauxSioux

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sponsored by Potter of Bismarck, D (UND grad), Glassheim, D Grand Forks (Wesleyan Univ), Wald R Dickinson (UND grad... who said NDSU would regret going DI, and introduced a bill disallowing state money to be spend on DI sports other than UND Hockey), Kelsch D, Fargo (NDSU grad), Mock D, Minot (Home town GF), UND grad

Senatory Bakke Grand Forks D (UND Grad)

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-2009/b...xt/JBSV0100.pdf

looks like they got a token R and NDSU grad

This is my first post here as I don't view it as a Bison site and I feel I am a guest but I just posted this on Anygivensaturday.com. Let rational heads prevail.

Now living in Minnesota and having to deal with all the ridiculous BS I have seen coming out of the Senate race as well as the legislature here I was greatly discouraged by this thinking that the ND legislature had sunk to the same levels. Thankfully after reading the Sioux message boards it looks like reasonable heads are prevailing and asking why the legislature is spending time on this in the first place? Let the schools figure it out for themselves seems to be the response. There is hope for government people there is hope!

This is my first post here as I don't view it as a Bison site and I feel I am a guest but I just posted this on Anygivensaturday.com. Let rational heads prevail.

Now living in Minnesota and having to deal with all the ridiculous BS I have seen coming out of the Senate race as well as the legislature here I was greatly discouraged by this thinking that the ND legislature had sunk to the same levels. Thankfully after reading the Sioux message boards it looks like reasonable heads are prevailing and asking why the legislature is spending time on this in the first place? Let the schools figure it out for themselves seems to be the response. There is hope for government people there is hope!

BTW, bad verbage this is anything but a Bison site. Good luck against St. Cloud State at the end of the month I have tickets looking forward to the game. If you are there I will have the Sioux hockey jersey with the white SU cap. Say hello. Good luck!

My God, the bafoonery. It never ceases to amaze me how otherwise normal citizens absolutely lose their minds when they attain political power.

Isn't that the truth!! Can't people just let the Transitions run their course and the two teams WILL play, I would be willing to bet without anybody sticking their noses into the schools HIRED AD's business that there will be a 2012 game! Its just plain STUPID to think that NDSU and UND will never play again! but then again I don't think i've ever known a truly Smart politician

Bill would require NDSU and UND to play an annual football game ;)

Government should stay out of such matters.

I'm against government delving into such matters, but seriously, Taylor is not doing himself any favors when he talks to the media. He pays lip service to the rivalry eventually being resumed, but then he talks about all the reasons why it won't (at least not in a true sense of an alternating annual game). He basically repeats the stance he's had for a while, which is he has only three non-conference games and he would like two of them to be homes games and the road game to be against an FBS team. So unless UND wants to come to Fargo every year, he "can't see" an annual game happening. That's the kind of hard-line stance that might actually get this bill going somewhere.

I understand that established FCS football programs prefer 6 homes games and 5 away games, including an FBS money game. And I understand that if you're in a 9-team league and you stick to that preference, it leaves no room for non-conference road games against FCS teams, except on the rare years the NCAA allows a 12th game. But will the average legislator think that preferring 6 homes games every year is a good enough reason to prevent a true alternating rivalry from renewing? I still don't think this bill has a prayer of passing, but if Taylor keeps talking, you never know. If he would simply say something generic like "we're working on it," the bill would certainly be DOA.

Speaking of talking through the media, I don't know how many times I have heard Faison on TV or on the radio saying UND is ready to resume the rivalry immediately, yet he has not picked up the phone and called Gene Taylor. How does he suppose the games are going to get scheduled? Are Wayne Nelson and Jeff Kolpack going to negoiate a contract for the schools? As of last week, Gene Taylor said he hadn't spoken to Mr. Faison yet. Apparently UND isn't all that anxious to schedule the game either.

A poster above was correct in saying that legislatures in the past have gotten involved in the scheduling of college athletics. I don't know about Kentucky-Louisville, so I'll take his word, but the Auburn-Alabama game, one of the best rivalries in college football, was suspended for 40 years, from 1907-1947, because the coaches and college administrators were pouty.

Is this the thinking between UND and NDSU? "Let's dig in our heels and see who blinks first"?

All I'm saying is that I'm looking forward, then, to 2042 or 2043 when we get things going again.

Speaking of talking through the media, I don't know how many times I have heard Faison on TV or on the radio saying UND is ready to resume the rivalry immediately, yet he has not picked up the phone and called Gene Taylor. How does he suppose the games are going to get scheduled? Are Wayne Nelson and Jeff Kolpack going to negoiate a contract for the schools? As of last week, Gene Taylor said he hadn't spoken to Mr. Faison yet. Apparently UND isn't all that anxious to schedule the game either.

I thought it was apparent here that Joe Chapman is calling the shots for NDSU on scheduling UND; Taylor's just the water boy. Faison's been around. He recognizes someone blowing smoke. (Don't we all here?) I presume the UND administration has concluded there may be some advantage in speaking publicly to make it exceedingly clear to the general public/casual fan just where the roadblock lies in resuming competition between the two schools. They must be thrilled with Taylor's help so far.

And in terms of conversation, Kelley and Chapman talk regularly -- hell, they even attended the Obama inauguration together. That's where this will be resolved, and a little political pressure on the side may speed the process.

I have to agree with you. And GeauxSioux has it right as well, government needs to stay out of the business of scheduling ball games. Are times really that good up there that this is all there is to worry about?

It was only a matter of time before the notion of scheduling the two teams became a political issue. It has happened with other teams as well. For example, the ACC was forced to take Virginia Tech due to the politics. As far as government intervention, it gets a little tricky as government money is being sent to the schools and there is a feeling that they should have at least a voice at the table. As it is state money that funds these schools, for the most part, government will intervene at some point.

This seems to me to be a desperation move by a few Sioux supporters to get a game with NDSU. What a stupid idea. The ND Legislature probably has a lot bigger issues to deal with than this. like $35 a barrel oil creating serious budget issues for North Dakota.

The bottom line is playing UND at this time is a negative for NDSU. If it becomes a win/win for both schools, the game would likely happen. But, it should not be played for now.

The games will happen one day in natural course. I can understand the average Bison fan being miffed by the government getting involved. I'll bet there would be a lot of Sioux fans who would be upset if the Bison decided to field a hockey team and the legislature mandated that the Sioux play the Bison.

Government on all levels should do what they were elected to do, govern. I don't see where mandating certain teams play each other is why you were elected. I hope this bill dies.

I thought it was apparent here that Joe Chapman is calling the shots for NDSU on scheduling UND; Taylor's just the water boy. Faison's been around. He recognizes someone blowing smoke. (Don't we all here?) I presume the UND administration has concluded there may be some advantage in speaking publicly to make it exceedingly clear to the general public/casual fan just where the roadblock lies in resuming competition between the two schools. They must be thrilled with Taylor's help so far.

And in terms of conversation, Kelley and Chapman talk regularly -- hell, they even attended the Obama inauguration together. That's where this will be resolved, and a little political pressure on the side may speed the process.

Faison wants to play NDSU but won't talk or call Gene Taylor??? How does that work?

I agree. If nothing else, Faison should have picked up the phone and called Gene by now for PR purposes. PICK UP THE PHONE BRIAN!

Maybe it does start with the Presidents, I don't know. But still, the AD's have to be able to talk in order for the game to happen, don't they?

Colorado and Iowa also have legislation to force the two state schools to play each other.

New Mexico, Utah and South Carolina are some other states where the big state schools play each other every year even though they are in different conferences (not sure if there is state legislation or not).

So the precedent is most certainly there.

I don't mind the idea. I would rather see UND on the 09 schedule than the 2012 schedule.

Faison wants to play NDSU but won't talk or call Gene Taylor??? How does that work?

Read S-L-O-W-L-Y, Dan. Faison could talk to Taylor ad nauseam and nothing will change until the presidents decide they will. Probably not a bad idea for the ADs to become acquainted, I agree. (Does Gene have Brian's number?) But as of now, Faison probably is more effective stating his case publicly than trying to privately schmooze a guy who can't make the decision anyway. When Chapman and Kelley agree, even a brief conversation between the ADs should get it done.

This seems to me to be a desperation move by a few Sioux supporters to get a game with NDSU. What a stupid idea. The ND Legislature probably has a lot bigger issues to deal with than this. like $35 a barrel oil creating serious budget issues for North Dakota.

The bottom line is playing UND at this time is a negative for NDSU. If it becomes a win/win for both schools, the game would likely happen. But, it should not be played for now.

You don't have to do much math to realize that, of course, the game now is more important to UND than NDSU. MVFC=9. Great West=5. But NDSU struggled through without the game and UND will, too, if need be.

I agree, the legislature has more important issues to deal with and I'm sure they'll get around to them. This won't take much time. The filing of the bill was more about publicity than legislation, and that goal has already been reached, as evidenced by the local newspapers/newscasts.

I'm not sure I buy the notion that playing UND is a "net negative' for NDSU when you compare the price of FSC guarantees vs a biennial bus trip to Grand Forks plus a huge statewide TV audience annually. But even if it is, what does that do to the NDSU argument that the teams would still be playing if only UND had agreed to continue when NDSU jumped divisions? Would the economics, as interpreted by Gene Taylor, be any different today?

I understand you don't want the schools to play. If I venture into Bisonville, a lot of your buds there don't, either. But while zealots like you and me dig our heels in, a lot of sports fans from across the state are cheated out of a game that was viewed as one of the premiere sports/social events of the year. I'm not sure how those fans view the argument coming from NDSU, located in "Imperial Cass County," that the schools won't play in football because NDSU can make more money elsewhere.

Read S-L-O-W-L-Y, Dan. Faison could talk to Taylor ad nauseam and nothing will change until the presidents decide they will. Probably not a bad idea for the ADs to become acquainted, I agree. (Does Gene have Brian's number?) But as of now, Faison probably is more effective stating his case publicly than trying to privately schmooze a guy who can't make the decision anyway. When Chapman and Kelley agree, even a brief conversation between the ADs should get it done.

Now more SLOWLY you know this for a fact HOW?? Face it you're just using that as a excuse for Faison saying he wants to play NDSU but not talking with Gene Taylor. Looks like to me you guys got another AD that is proving to be incompetent. You seem to forget that we're doing just fine and their is no reason or upside for NDSU to play UND.

Gene Taylor has made it EXTREMELY clear he has no interest in playing the game. He keeps coming up with various twists on why they can't play the game. When the President's of the two institutions are able to come to terms the game will happen. Faison doesn't need to kiss Taylor's butt. Taylor as much as said he would only play UND in Fargo. He said their non conference games have to be large payoff games. Apparently the game will never happen then. UND would NEVER just play that game in Fargo. Taylor and Chapman need to wake up an smell the roses. Apparently they just can't see the big picture. There is a lot MORE THAN MONEY to be gained in the playing of that game. If NDSU has a couple more disappointing .500 seasons they won't have to worry about sellouts in Fargo anymore. They will be begging for the Bison Sioux rivalry. When the Bison were 2 and 8 a few years ago they could shoot a cannon through the Fargodome. With the talent NDSU lost this year and were only a .500 team they could be very ordinary next year. I'm starting to think they truly are afraid to play us. If they lost they would have a lot of crow to eat. Bring them on.

Gene Taylor has made it EXTREMELY clear he has no interest in playing the game. He keeps coming up with various twists on why they can't play the game. When the President's of the two institutions are able to come to terms the game will happen. Faison doesn't need to kiss Taylor's butt. Taylor as much as said he would only play UND in Fargo. He said their non conference games have to be large payoff games. Apparently the game will never happen then. UND would NEVER just play that game in Fargo. Taylor and Chapman need to wake up an smell the roses. Apparently they just can't see the big picture. There is a lot MORE THAN MONEY to be gained in the playing of that game. If NDSU has a couple more disappointing .500 seasons they won't have to worry about sellouts in Fargo anymore. They will be begging for the Bison Sioux rivalry. When the Bison were 2 and 8 a few years ago they could shoot a cannon through the Fargodome. With the talent NDSU lost this year and were only a .500 team they could be very ordinary next year. I'm starting to think they truly are afraid to play us. If they lost they would have a lot of crow to eat. Bring them on.

Your post was good for a laugh! I didn't see you so worried about not playing us in 04-08? What happened? Now the shoes on the other foot and you don't like it. Too bad! I wouldn't worry about our attendence I'd worry about a 3 game home schedule with SFU as one of them and SFU again in 2011. Faison panicked, face it. The BIG picture is your transition isn't going so well and to deflect attention away from it your administration is crying it's not FAIR that we can't play NDSU. Sad....