SiouxSports.com Forum

UND, NDSU, & the Legislature

SiouxCrew11

These institutions are what, nearing 200 years old? If thy don't play for even another ten years, so what? That's a blip on the radar.

The Institutions may be 200 years old, but none of us are.

My point was that a commonly stated reason against this bill is an assumption that the schools will start scheduling each other within a few years on their own, and therefore legislation is unnecessary and too drastic. I disagree with that assumption. That doesn't mean the Legislature ought to get involved. However, I will predict that if, come January 2011, there has been no progress on the scheduling, the bill will come again and there will be more support for it.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many lakesbison/JBB emails you think it took for this guy to change his mind? Linky

So, he was for it, before he was against it... I'm surprised he didn't say he was coerced into signing it.

He sounds flakey. I could never take this guy seriously. Sponsors legislation without thinking it through and without doing any research, then he immediately changes his mind once Gene takes him to the woodshed. At least his political opponents will know he's ill-informed and a pushover.

Gene Taylor has lots of time on his hands to be calling legislators now since he has his football schedule done through 2013. Somebody should ask him who all the teams are he has scheduled for all those years. I wonder if he can come up with all of them. He wouldn't be stretching the truth at all would he. No I'm sure he isn't. It seems like I had just heard he was still trying to get next years schedule filled.

Wow you guys sure seem to be interested in NDSU's schedule. Thanks for all the interest. I wasn't expecting this kind of support and interest from UND fans. The same ones who said they didn't need us. :)

Considering half the posters lately in the Football forum have been bison ones, there seems to be an unnatural interest in a "non-rival" you've long left behind.

The adversity that UND will likely face with it's football situation over the next few years will have the opposite effect of what bison fans hope for. UND alumni will dig deeper and be even more committed to success.

Considering half the posters lately in the Football forum have been bison ones, there seems to be an unnatural interest in a "non-rival" you've long left behind.

The adversity that UND will likely face with it's football situation over the next few years will have the opposite effect of what bison fans hope for. UND alumni will dig deeper and be even more committed to success.

??? keep toking that bong :D

This would not be the first time a state legislature has taken up the issue of two college institutions playing each other every year. In Kentucky they passed a law requiring that Kentucky and Louisville play each other in football every year.

The current Governor of West Virginia made forcing West Virginia University to play in-state rival Marshall University a part of his platform when he ran for office. Now they play 2-1 schedule. 2 in Morgantown(WVU), 1 in Huntington(MU)...

How many lakesbison/JBB emails you think it took for this guy to change his mind? Linky

So, he was for it, before he was against it... I'm surprised he didn't say he was coerced into signing it.

I don't think either one of those posters had much to do with it. My 12 year old daughter is in the same class with them, and from what I understand, neither of them pull all that much weight in the 6th grade. ???

I go over to Bisonville and read the posts. And some maybe alot of the stuff they say is over the edge. But they do fight hard for there

University. When they think SU is getting the short end of the stick when it comes to funding or majors they are the first ones to complain to the State Board or to the Legislsture. We UND supporters should do the same. Who cares what they think. There is only a few thing that we can do that would make them happy. It's keeping our mouths shut or just plain going away.

This thread is about state involment in sporting events between the 2 schools. Does the UND adminstration want this issue pressed.

If they do we should do our part by supporting the bill in Bismarck.

Gene Taylor has lots of time on his hands to be calling legislators now since he has his football schedule done through 2013. Somebody should ask him who all the teams are he has scheduled for all those years. I wonder if he can come up with all of them. He wouldn't be stretching the truth at all would he. No I'm sure he isn't. It seems like I had just heard he was still trying to get next years schedule filled.

It sure didn't take long to find out that Gene Taylor's schedule wasn't fulll afterall. In today's Forum he says he's saving an open non conference date in the future to set up a home and away date with a future opponent. I guess that could be a Bison-Sioux matchup if he wanted it to be. But it won't be. He sure has been going around in circles a lot lately.

It sure didn't take long to find out that Gene Taylor's schedule wasn't fulll afterall. In today's Forum he says he's saving an open non conference date in the future to set up a home and away date with a future opponent. I guess that could be a Bison-Sioux matchup if he wanted it to be. But it won't be. He sure has been going around in circles a lot lately.

You guys are all too funny - with the nickname issue and no conference in site, you're all worried about playing NDSU. Did you see USD got a 2010 game with MN? We have verbals for those dates and Gene is just waiting for the contracts to come back before their announced. It's called putting together a good schedule something maybe your administration should try to do. By the way Gene still hasn't recieved a phone call from Faison about a game. Must be high on his list of things not to do. I noticed that no one on this board is bitching about your 09 schedule and taking Faison to task. You're all good little soldiers.....

This would not be the first time a state legislature has taken up the issue of two college institutions playing each other every year. In Kentucky they passed a law requiring that Kentucky and Louisville play each other in football every year.

FWLIW, the Alabama legislature has taken up the issue of Auburn and Alabama playing in football: Iowa State and Iowa playing in football actually was/is a law there. I think Kentucky and Louisville originally were mandated (or at least encouraged) to play basketball, but I'm not sure.

Nothing like the power of the purse to motivate people.
???

From the editorial...

Besides, as others have pointed out, the universities are well on their way to restarting their rivalry on their own.

Oh, okay. Well, let the legislature put in a phone call or two, insert a reasonable date into the bill and everyone's happy. No harm in a little more hot air coming out of the state capital, is there?

By the way Gene still hasn't recieved a phone call from Faison about a game. Must be high on his list of things not to do. I noticed that no one on this board is bitching about your 09 schedule and taking Faison to task. You're all good little soldiers.....
This again is all so much B.S. Your precious Gene himself has said he regrets he didn't call Faison just to welcome into the A.D. position when Faison started. Until Kelley became President, Faison calling Gene would have been counterproductive. Since then, Kelley and Chapman have met. If Kelley had any inkling that the series would resume, Faison would have been on the phone the next day. Chapman is the power behind the scenes at NDSU who determines if the series resumes. If the media really wanted a story, that's who it should be talking with. Of course, Chapman will eventually make Taylor the fall guy if the political *hi* hits the fan. Taylor's too ignorant to realize it.

According to Taylor in today's Forum he's looking for a home/home for 2010/2011 to fill out the schedule with Minnesota and Geo Southern already scheduled for 2011. Meaning a home game in 2011 and an away game in 2010.

So that means we could schedule UND for a game in Fargo in 09 and then sign a home/home with NDSU traveling to Grand Forks in 2010 and UND coming back to Fargo in 2011.

Then by 2012 with UND transition over, MVFC will have invited them into the conference by then.

This again is all so much B.S. Your precious Gene himself has said he regrets he didn't call Faison just to welcome into the A.D. position when Faison started. Until Kelley became President, Faison calling Gene would have been counterproductive. Since then, Kelley and Chapman have met. If Kelley had any inkling that the series would resume, Faison would have been on the phone the next day. Chapman is the power behind the scenes at NDSU who determines if the series resumes. If the media really wanted a story, that's who it should be talking with. Of course, Chapman will eventually make Taylor the fall guy if the political *hi* hits the fan. Taylor's too ignorant to realize it.

Yea he so ignorant he he's got us through our transition with flying colors, into two conferences (real ones), great schedules, sold out fb games, 3 games with MN, and has increase funding greatly. If that's ignorant so be it but I'll take Gene over your disfunctional AD any day of the week. USD is way ahead of you in their transition and all you can do is bitch about playing NDSU. Think about it, do you hear USD bitching about not playing SDSU? No all their doing is coming up with great schedules and are knocking on the door for joining a conference. If your administration doesn't get their act together soon you're going to be an independent along time.

There's already one of the bill's sponsors disavowing the legislation and public opinion is overwhelmingly against legislative involvement. Under what circumstances do you forsee political *hi* hitting the fan? If the Summit adds USD and someone else (or no one else) and the Valley does't expand, if UND is left on the outside looking in, that's the scenario I forsee trouble for NDSU in not being more of an active partner in helping UND in their transition.

There's already one of the bill's sponsors disavowing the legislation and public opinion is overwhelmingly against legislative involvement. Under what circumstances do you forsee political *hi* hitting the fan? If the Summit adds USD and someone else (or no one else) and the Valley does't expand, if UND is left on the outside looking in, that's the scenario I forsee trouble for NDSU in not being more of an active partner in helping UND in their transition.

C'mon, there isn't going to be any significant political outcry against NDSU, regardless of what happens in UND's transition.

Most people in the state are happy that NDSU moved up, and are smart enough to realize that UND screwed up in not moving up with them. They are not going to hold NDSU officials responsible for mistakes made in Grand Forks.

If you really want to help UND through it's transition, go to games, donate money, support YOUR shcool. For God's sake shut up about NDSU - you're just going to piss off half the people in the state.

C'mon, there isn't going to be any significant political outcry against NDSU, regardless of what happens in UND's transition.

Most people in the state are happy that NDSU moved up, and are smart enough to realize that UND screwed up in not moving up with them. They are not going to hold NDSU officials responsible for mistakes made in Grand Forks.

If you really want to help UND through it's transition, go to games, donate money, support YOUR shcool. For God's sake shut up about NDSU - you're just going to piss off half the people in the state.

But only half of that half can read.....................so you're really only pissing off 1/4 of the state. ???

Sadly, I agree with clones from Fargo on this point...Quit asking NDSU to play us...We don't need it! Period! Next year I'm going to see the Sioux put up a courageous attempt at winning against a DI team that was ranked #1 in the country last year for a couple of weeks!!! Why would I want to go to Fargo with a good chance of winning against the Ag School and forfiet these types of opportunities with real teams and in the real spotlight. NDSU wants to align itself with the BIG 10 teams and that fan base and I'm in favor of pushing the conference relationships that our AD can build with the BIG 12 and the Southwest conferences - maybe we look better for BigSky or whomever. In addition, I could give a rat's ass what Fargo and its college does...Give up on all the coombya bull$%!# about North Dakota athletics and football tradition because its gone and done with every new years recruiting class from Texas, California, or anywhere in the deep South. The best lesson in this is to compare our progress to ourselves and not someone else - if we do that, then we can gaurantee that we will exceed our goals and most likely be playing a different group of teams outside of the MVFC and let the infants in Fargo boast about their greatness in the shadows of Minneapolis....

BobIwabuchiFan

Now here is a Sioux fan who gets it. Unfortunately you are one of the few, at least who openly admits who's really to blame. Congrats and if I knew who you were and saw you in the bar I'd buy you a drink.

We should leave the decision about the playing SU to UND's adminstration. How important is it to them. Gothman is right about his last statement about supporting your school.

But if the people of this state know UND wants to play SU in athletics I believe public opinion will slowly turn against SU.

Our Legislatures will eventually see who is stonewalling the games. I think we'll see games played between the 2 schools

in minor sports soon. That will take the pressure off SU In potential football games with UND.