SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Thoughts of Happiness

DamStrait

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turkey bowling in the old Ralph

:):) Karl "claiming the ice" after a five-minute standoff following warmups before the championship game at the 2001 Final Five against SCSU.

Chanting "HAU-ser... HAAAAU-ser... HAAAAU-ser...."

Turkey Bowling ruled. They brought it back for the game after RE died. They should make it permanent.

I was at that game...I knew Karl wouldn't back down. He'd stay out there with the Zamboni going around if he had to.

You forgot the last part to the Hauser chant, so I'll finish it for you.....SUCKS!!! :)

Spring of '98

Aaron Schwietzer getting a five minute minor for roughing from the bench, after Blake had butt ended a michigan tech guy in the ribs as he was stepping onto the Tech bench. Then turned around to go after Blake and was rudely stopped by a right hook blocker from Aaron :)

Actually I think the stick was a little lower than the ribs...

Maybe it's not "happiness", but the crowd singing the national anthem after Ralph died was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen or heard. The feeling was undescribable, and certainly unforgettable. For those who weren't there, I'm sorry I can't put the feeling in the arena that night into words. It will without question always be one of my best memories of Sioux hockey.

Dave "Skates Up" Spehar of the Goofs going head first into the UND bench during the 1998 Final Five and not having any luck freeing himself.... :) I've got that picture here somewhere.....

At least Spehar was very close to his "cherrypicking" position when he was released from the bench. He needed binoculars to see his own end from his usual position on the ice.

Maybe it's not "happiness", but the crowd singing the national anthem after Ralph died was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen or heard. The feeling was undescribable, and certainly unforgettable. For those who weren't there, I'm sorry I can't put the feeling in the arena that night into words. It will without question always be one of my best memories of Sioux hockey.

Ditto -- (was that the night the microphone for the singer didn't work and the crowd started singing louder than normal?)

In the early 80's watching a game on tv during a blizzard -- face off in the opponets end -- the group watching it chanting goal, goal, goal, goal and when the linesman dropped the puck UND won the face off and the d-man whistled in a goal -- totally awesome -- can't remember the player, opposing team, but just remember the group "willing" the goal.

David Hale's goal this past season at home vs. CC to tie the game ....

Providence .... April 2000 ..... being there ..... empty net goal ..... oh my goodness .....

At home ..... April 2001 ..... DB pulling the goalie twice .... Wes Dorey's goal to tie ..... scaring the kids because 4 adults were jumping up and down and shouting/yelling/high 5'ing .....

Last year, I don't remember the opposing team but. A player lost his stick by the Sioux bench, and skated off to his bench. In the meantime Rory McMahon (who was on the bench) looked around, picked the stick up, broke it and threw it back on the ice. Hillarious!

Dave "Skates Up" Spehar of the Goofs going head first  into the UND bench during the 1998 Final Five and not having any luck freeing himself.... :) I've got that picture here somewhere.....

This just showed up in my email inbox with instructions to post it here:

spehar_topsy.jpg

Last year, I don't remember the opposing team but. A player lost his stick by the Sioux bench, and skated off to his bench. In the meantime Rory McMahon (who was on the bench) looked around, picked the stick up, broke it and threw it back on the ice. Hillarious!

It was at a Minn-Duluth game. I only remeber that cuz everyone I was with started laughing and I got all pised cuz I missed it. Oh well! :)

'86-'87 Tech home series. Bobby Joyce needed a point to tie (or was it set?) the league (or was it NCAA?) record for points in a series. Gino puts out the top line late in the game (may have been on the PP). Hrkac, just before taking the faceoff to the left of the Tech goalie, gives Bobby J a look and a nod. A second later, Tony wins the faceoff cleanly, putting the puck right on Joyce's stick. Bobby does the rest, slamming it home past the Tech goalie, tying (or was it setting) the record. Anyway, it happened right in front of me, and it was a great moment, even if I'm a little fuzzy on the details. :) Somebody less lazy than me can do the checking to see whether it was a team, league, or NCAA record in question, and whether it was for points or goals. :)

The Jay to Jeff then into the Gopher net for the GWG at then end of the great period 3 comeback (1999, I believe). And the replay, showing Jeff taking off from deep in the Gopher end, while the Gopher forwards stood still and watched the action taking place in their own end. Don't believe any of them made it to neutral ice. Always love the defensive work ethic of those Woog teams :)

You guys are lucky I can't find a picture of Ballard pulling Lundbohm's jersey over his head. :)

Don't worry -- MSC replayed that episode enough times that night/postgame that it is burned in most Sioux fans mind. :):)

NCAA Finals against BU, April 1997

David Hoogsteen doing his classic "window puppet" on the glass after one of the five second period goals.

Just two days prior, watching two obnoxious Michigan fans walk the isle from their seats on the glass, through hundreds of taunting Sioux fans, eating crow all the way up to the exit after a stunning BU upset. In my mind, still the best college hockey game I've ever seen.

Opening Night HOF Game, Friday, Oct 5th, 2001.

The sustained standing ovation for Ralph before his center ice speech. So loud was the noise that I believe Betty (or was it the grandson?) was covering her ears. After all that controversy BS, you had 11,000+ Sioux fans showing true appreciation for an incredibly generous individual.

Oh yeah, and beating the Bison the very next day. I'd take a NC loss to the Gophs paired with a Bison spanking anytime.

taz digs da Fighting Sioux

NCAA Finals against BU, April 1997

David Hoogsteen doing his classic "window puppet" on the glass after one of the five second period goals.

Just two days prior, watching two obnoxious Michigan fans walk the isle from their seats on the glass, through hundreds of taunting Sioux fans, eating crow all the way up to the exit after a stunning BU upset. In my mind, still the best college hockey game I've ever seen.

Opening Night HOF Game, Friday, Oct 5th, 2001.

The sustained standing ovation for Ralph before his center ice speech. So loud was the noise that I believe Betty (or was it the grandson?) was covering her ears. After all that controversy BS, you had 11,000+ Sioux fans showing true appreciation for an incredibly generous individual.

Oh yeah, and beating the Bison the very next day. I'd take a NC loss to the Gophs paired with a Bison spanking anytime.

taz digs da Fighting Sioux

Taz, I could not agree more! I was about 10 rows up in the corner of that game right in front of David Hoogsteen. That was the most exciting hockey game that I have ever seen. I remember looking at my then 9 year old son after the 1st period, and he was slumped in his chair with a a very sad face. I remember telling him (not sure if I believed it) that there was a lot of game left and that the Sioux would come back. The 2nd period was absolutely wild and my favorite player, David Hoogsteen, was the best player on the ice. The drive home from Milwaukee was the best ever.

The Jay to Jeff then into the Gopher net for the GWG at then end of the great period 3 comeback (1999, I believe). And the replay, showing Jeff taking off from deep in the Gopher end, while the Gopher forwards stood still and watched the action taking place in their own end. Don't believe any of them made it to neutral ice. Always love the defensive work ethic of those Woog teams :)

I remember watching that game on MSC & that play was a classic display of pure speed. I think Jeff bolted into the defensive end to backcheck the puck away from a Gopher singlehandedly, turned on the jets through the neutral zone on a 2 on 0 with his brother, made a quick pass to Jay & then back to Jeff for a backhand top-shelfer. Mazzocco & Reid made it sound just like any other play :)

I remember watching that game on MSC & that play was a classic display of pure speed. I think Jeff bolted into the defensive end to backcheck the puck away from a Gopher singlehandedly, turned on the jets through the neutral zone on a 2 on 0 with his brother, made a quick pass to Jay & then back to Jeff for a backhand top-shelfer. Mazzocco & Reid made it sound just like any other play :)

For Jeff Panzer it probably was. Hands down except maybe for Blake, Jeff Panzer was one of the most exciting Sioux hockey playes I have ever seen put on the Green and White (I wasn't here when the Hrkus Circus was in town). However, maybe Zack surpasses Him some day...

I think Jeff bolted into the defensive end to backcheck the puck away from a Gopher singlehandedly, turned on the jets through the neutral zone on a 2 on 0 with his brother, made a quick pass to Jay & then back to Jeff for a backhand top-shelfer. Mazzocco & Reid made it sound just like any other play :)

In Frank and Rieds defense, it does sound very similar to MANY UND goals scored during the period '97-'99. Most seemed to be in the third period as well.

In Frank and Rieds defense, it does sound very similar to MANY UND goals scored during the period '97-'99.  Most seemed to be in the third period as well.

Good point. During that time plays like that were fairly run-of-the-mill. Those dynamic end-2-end rushes have been few & far between since Panzer, Blake, Lundbohm & Murphy left.