SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Thoughts of Happiness

DamStrait

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'86-'87 Tech home series. Bobby Joyce needed a point to tie (or was it set?) the league (or was it NCAA?) record for points in a series. Gino puts out the top line late in the game (may have been on the PP). Hrkac, just before taking the faceoff to the left of the Tech goalie, gives Bobby J a look and a nod. A second later, Tony wins the faceoff cleanly, putting the puck right on Joyce's stick. Bobby does the rest, slamming it home past the Tech goalie, tying (or was it setting) the record. Anyway, it happened right in front of me, and it was a great moment, even if I'm a little fuzzy on the details. :) Somebody less lazy than me can do the checking to see whether it was a team, league, or NCAA record in question, and whether it was for points or goals. :)

I think this is the deal. At the time we in the arena thought the WCHA record for goals in a game was five. Joyce's sixth would have set a new record. I think we later found out that Joyce's sixth just tied the record, but it was pretty electric anyway. I remember the sequence near you described near the end of the game. I think they spent the better part of a shift trying to get Joyce the goal. You can imagine Hrkac toying with the opposition, controlling the puck until Joyce found an open spot.

The series was won by the Sioux 11-2, 11-2, and Hrkac went 2-5-7 and 3-5-8 in the two games, for a 15 point weekend. Gino said something about that being a career for some players, not a weekend. And the 15 points didn't get him WCHA Player of the Week, which went to Joyce. Hrkac was a man among boys most of the time. What a player.

I believe it was in old Engelstad we were playing DU with a minute left in the third period. Face off to the right of Kollar in our d-zone. DU wins the draw but splits the defense and the puck slides down the ice into an empty DU net. Sioux Goal!!

Hey, in that picture is Spehar giving the "V" for victory sign?

That's a great video replay. Spehar can't get up. I think Blake gives him a little business, but not too much because it would be obvious. Finally, as the camera moves away so see Blais bending over to give Spehar a hand.

Beautiful!

:);) If you know this person, please give them a thumbs up! We do appreciate the WCHA loyalty! Sue fans CAN do the Minnesota Rouser! :p:)

WPoS

He actually looks familiar...but the pic isn't clear enought to say for sure. We have the Goopher Task Force on the case as we speak...he will be punished for such an ourageous act. :):)

:) '87 NCAA championship game vs. Mich State at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, MI: Hrk behind the net with the puck, looking to make a sweet pass. MSU skater seems to be thinking "I'm tired of that so-and-so dangling that puck, making us look like fools. We need to quit giving him respect and room and get in his face and make him pay every time he touches the puck." The MSU skater then goes after Hrk with a vengence. Hrk flips the puck at the back of the net, stands up with his back up against the boards, and the hard charging MSU skater misses both Hrk and the puck and goes out the other side. Hrk gathers the puck and makes a sweet pass to the spot the MSU skater just vacated to go after Hrk. The whole episode probably took place in less than a second. Don't remember if it resulted in a goal though. :)

:) 2000 WCHA championship game vs. Wisco at the Target Center in Minneapolis: Go to the game with a friend and two of his friends. His friends have never seen a live hockey game, and are not up on the sport or any of the players. After the game I ask, "Did any player on the ice seem to stand out from the rest?" They say, "Yes, #17 from UND" (Jeffy Panzer). :)

ganzoldesstadion.jpg

Kind of ugly to look at, but this ol' barn is where Sioux hockey all started. My how times have changed. Don't think we could have persuaded Zach with this :)

That is funny, I don't think you could have persuaded Zach without that place! So glad it is gone. :)

Last year, I don't remember the opposing team but. A player lost his stick by the Sioux bench, and skated off to his bench. In the meantime Rory McMahon (who was on the bench) looked around, picked the stick up, broke it and threw it back on the ice. Hillarious!

OMG!!! I forgot about that one!!! That was a great one!!!! :)

WPos:

That is "Sioux," not Sue. As in tradition, championships, dedication, work ethic, focus, and commitment.

Funny how the Gopher fans couldn't fill their own building with fans just a couple of years ago, when they was still thinking they could win with all Minnesota boys.

Then, Blais started taking the cream of Minnesota talent, the Gophers had to let Woog go, and Haircut was smart enough to recruit North Dakotans and foreigners to take his crew over the top.

Sioux. Not Sue.

You are the greatest. Why not cross on over from the dark side? :glare:

Why not cross on over from the dark side? :glare:

Cult followers like WPoS first need to be deprogrammed. POIers in particular are hardcore fanatics & certain steps need to be taken before they see the light:

Step 1: Lure him away from his brainwashers. He must be separated from sites like POI where a constant stream of dribble can influence even the strongest of minds.

Step 2: Corner him physically in a setting with at least 5 Sioux fans that can bring him back to reality. He should not be allowed to sleep for at least 2 days; this will break him down emotionally & is a key step in his recovery.

Step 3: If his family members are not already brainwashed, they should also be a part of this thought breakdown as they know him best & know how to push his buttons.

Step 4: After the false Gopher beliefs are washed from his memory, he should then be shown tape after tape of Sioux hockey highlights which will eventually reprogram him into the right way of thinking. :huh:

Cult followers like WPoS first need to be deprogrammed. POIers in particular are hardcore fanatics & certain steps need to be taken before they see the light:

Step 1: Lure him away from his brainwashers. He must be separated from sites like POI where a constant stream of dribble can influence even the strongest of minds.

Step 2: Corner him physically in a setting with at least 5 Sioux fans that can bring him back to reality. He should not be allowed to sleep for at least 2 days; this will break him down emotionally & is a key step in his recovery.

Step 3: If his family members are not already brainwashed, they should also be a part of this thought breakdown as they know him best & know how to push his buttons.

Step 4: After the false Gopher beliefs are washed from his memory, he should then be shown tape after tape of Sioux hockey highlights which will eventually reprogram him into the right way of thinking. :)

Step 1. Not gonna happen. POI has nothing to do with my cheering for the light side. Been doing it since I was a freshman, and that was long before POI was even a tickle in someone's brain.

2. Too bad 3 out of the 5 Sue (Sioux) fans would see the light and start cheering for the Gophers...

3. Family and friends 99% converted to Gophers already sorry, just one nephew with a strange allegiance to the Mavs.

4. So the movie would be 5 minutes long?

:glare::huh::)

WPoS