SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS BIG RED

AZSIOUX

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Defensively they go through these spells where they look like they have no business being on the ice (out of position, stop skating, etc). That said, Cornell's second or first (can't remember which) was all Eidsness, he got fooled on that backhand.

Anyway, great to see them breakout with 7 against supposedly one of the best defensive teams in the NCAA. Here's to them following up tomorrow and into the games to come...GO SIOUX!!!

The second was on Eidsness - however I'm stunned sometimes at our defensive lapses. Unless we toughen up it will be a long season - These aren't minor mistakes - they are major screw ups.

It's great to see some offense tonight. Let's take two from the Big Red.

Trupp with the goal 6-3 Sioux. They score 6 on the top ranked D in DI so where has this been in the past?

I am going on what I read this week. Ok so if UND was so bad (according to the pundits) and Cornell had the top goaltender and defense then the WCHA is heads and toes above the EZAC or UND isn't as bad as some had hope they are?

I posted this on another thread, but I'm watching on NHL; is there anyone out there who would be willing to record tomorrow's game and send me a copy? I'd pay for any expenses.

Hey CH - sorry the fans on the thread are ignoring you. If you'd like a DVD of the Saturday night game? - no problem - (does it depend on how it turns out? :glare: ) It might take a couple days to get it out but I'd be happy to send on to you if you'd like it. Nice to have to guys out here...too bad it had to be on a holiday weekend when most of the students were gone or the Big Red could have REALLY gotten the Ralph experience but fun nonetheless.

BTW - Cornell had a small but VERY OBNOXIOUS group of fans up in the nosebleed section of the Ralph! IT WAS AWESOME! They did themselves proud screaming their lungs out. Wanted to buy them a beer but never ran into them in the concourses...anyway...let me know if you'd like a copy of the game.

SiouxMeNow

Liked the lines last night. Trupp is a much better option paired with Frattin and Gregoire. That line was clicking. Really thought the Zajac line was great too. Mario is a grinder and Martens is just solid and underappreciated. But has UND had centerman less offensively gifted than Malone...ever?! Kozek and Watkins need someone with some playmaking abilities for those two to score. Malone isn't the guy. First Cornell goal was about as soft as it gets, but otherwise E was solid in net. Defensively, again big lapses. Lapoint was again awful last night. I just don't see what he brings at all? Fienhage was solid but he seems a little slow. Marto really needs to pick it up too. He is playing below his skill level. Expect Blood to play tonight for someone. My vote would be for LaPoint.

Overall very good effort and win. Looking forward to a sweep!

Liked the lines last night. Trupp is a much better option paired with Frattin and Gregoire. That line was clicking. Really thought the Zajac line was great too. Mario is a grinder and Martens is just solid and underappreciated. But has UND had centerman less offensively gifted than Malone...ever?! Kozek and Watkins need someone with some playmaking abilities for those two to score. Malone isn't the guy. First Cornell goal was about as soft as it gets, but otherwise E was solid in net. Defensively, again big lapses. Lapoint was again awful last night. I just don't see what he brings at all? Fienhage was solid but he seems a little slow. Marto really needs to pick it up too. He is playing below his skill level. Expect Blood to play tonight for someone. My vote would be for LaPoint.

Overall very good effort and win. Looking forward to a sweep!

Agree 100%. It's hard to argue too much when a team wins 7-3, but Blood needs to be playing over Lapoint. Even though Finehage looked a little slow at times, I think he needs to play in front of Lapoint too. Finehage showed more offense in the 2nd period when he leaped up into the play to intercept a pass and get a good shot on goal, then Lapoint has shown in two years.

Lamoreux needs to be in the lineup every night too. Even though Redwing probably doesn't like him because he's a local boy, his gritty play has earned him a spot.

Agree 100%. It's hard to argue too much when a team wins 7-3, but Blood needs to be playing over Lapoint. Even though Finehage looked a little slow at times, I think he needs to play in front of Lapoint too. Finehage showed more offense in the 2nd period when he leaped up into the play to intercept a pass and get a good shot on goal, then Lapoint has shown in two years.

Lamoreux needs to be in the lineup every night too. Even though Redwing probably doesn't like him because he's a local boy, his gritty play has earned him a spot.

UND is 4-1-1 with Mario in the lineup and 1-6 when he is not. One guy doesn't make a difference, but...it is what it is at this point.

I was impressed with the following the Big Red had in GF. We all know that the Sioux have a great traveling fan base, and it would seem that Cornell does too. Welcome to North Dakota.

I was wondering how many people in the Ralph that Cornell took by surprise when they shouted "RED" during the line "rockets red glare" in the National Anthem. I saw quite a few heads snap to the upper tier. :glare:

a win is a win, and the boys looked great last night! we are only as good as our next game, so i hope we get that sweep tonight. all the forwards played well, i liked the lines except i thought zajac was clicking with kozek and watkins, but he played well with mario and martens. defensively, we still have a way to go. lapoint is still the weak link, and not sure why hak won't sit him, but he is so damn tenative with the puck. i liked finehage, and think blood should be playing. maybe watching a game from the press box would be good for lapoint? can't wait for big joe to get back. genoway played possesed last night, created alot offensively. scrivens didn't live up to the billing. riley nash did. he is big, a smooth skater, and as he showed, can score. he'd look alot better in green. i wish there was a mic on the ice when he and duncs got into it, duncs was a little edgy last night, i liked it. lets put another 7 up tonight! GO SIOUX!!!

Wow, nice win by the boys. Who would of thought they would of put up 7 goals against Cornell? Nice to see a well played full 60 minutes. Nice to see Mario in the line-up I really like his presence out there. Lapoint, I am sorry but you need to sit out, Blood plays tonight, and Cory Finaage, in my mind had a solid game last night for not playing in a game in awhile. It's nice to Frats step up, yesterday was Fratty Fratturday! I knew this kid had a bomb of a shot, so when he wasn't scoring I thought, is he really a bust or is he in one bad slump? I would say 5 goals in the last 3 games, that it was just a bad slump. Last but not least, Eideness played really well, first goal was one of the softest goals he has given up, but he responded well after that goal. Now the real question is can we get a sweep tonight and actually be happy with this team for a weekend? Tonight we shall See.........

LaPoint:

There is a reason he is here at UND. It's starting out the same way everyone talked about Finley. Now, he isn't here due to an injury, and he is missed. I feel for Derrick, having to scrub off all those bus tire tracks every night he plays. :glare:

Produce or live up to your potential enough said. Everyone knows he (Derrick)is capable of being a lot better. We just haven't seen it yet and we are waiting.......

Couple of things:

1. I LOVE how everyone thinks I'm anti-ND Hockey players/local boys. It's funny, really. I'm not, but it is funny. I'm pro-BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. I could give a rats patoot where he's from. If he's from Grand Forks, GREAT! If he's from Timbuktu, GREAT! I would like to see Mario more.

2. Yeah, LaPoint and Malone suck. Throw them under the bus (just for you GBPackrzz) and move on.

3. The Finley-LaPoint parrallel is very apt. I'd actually put it this way: LaPoint, Finley, Smaby, Commodore, and Greene have had VERY similar starts at UND, at least with fan opinions. All of which got a TON of criticism their first two years. Not all undeserved either.

Martens is good, but very inconsistent. He'll be dynamite for a game or two (even if he doesn't score a point) and then disappear for the next. I don't know who I'd switch with Mario, but I agree he needs to play more.

4. Oh, if one guy doesn't make the difference (record with and without Mario) then it isn't worth making any sort of deal over.

5. Malone is on the line with Watkins and Kozek because theoretically, Malone is gritty and can work the corners very well. He may also be a decent passer. Kozek and Watkins on the line with Malone SHOULD produce points thanks to a wicked shot (both wingers) and speed (Watkins). My question is about chemistry. Do they have chemistry? Are they communicating on the ice? Is Malone adapting to his role well enough? Watkins and Kozek are being told to go out there and score I'm sure. That puts the rest of the offensive responsibilities (doled out to forwards anyhow) on Malone's shoulders. Not a role he had last season for sure.

6. Is this team back on track? No. Not because I think we're doomed to fail, but because you can't make such a claim just because you won a game regardless of the opponent. We handled CC pretty well for a game too, you know.

7. As for picking up the wrong Lamoreaux, well, you win a few and you lose a few. But hey, he dominated against CC with a WHOPPING 0 points. So, Mario and his brother tied last night in effectiveness.

8. By the way, isn't it ironic that Brad Shepherd is now a full official and not an AR? I wonder while. N-E-P-O-T-I-S-M!

i liked finehage, and think blood should be playing. maybe watching a game from the press box would be good for lapoint? can't wait for big joe to get back. genoway played possesed last night, created alot offensively. scrivens didn't live up to the billing. riley nash did. he is big, a smooth skater, and as he showed, can score. he'd look alot better in green.

The only criticism you can give on Lapoint is he hasn't been putting up offensive numbers but that has a lot

to due with the fact that he was playing mostly with the 3rd line until recently. He was wisely picking and

choosing his spots with the younger 3rd line players. Now that he has been playing more with the first line

he should get more chances, however; he is playing with Genoway. Let's face it defensively Genoway is

poor. You can contribute at least 2 goals to him last night, the 2 on 1 he gave up, guess who was back in

positition, Lapoint, and the the long stretch pass breakaway goal. How many times have you seen Lapoint

back in position on a 2 on 1 because his partner was trying to do too much offensively. Then you blame

him for the offensive chance or goal. Defensively Lapoint is probably the best out their for the Sioux. Look who Hak always

puts out their for the penalty kill. The coach always want's his best defensemen out their for penalty kill

and he knows a lot more than you and I. Finally, the kid is very rarely out their for the Power Play so

he is not getting as many chances to put up points. I think we need to stop laying into Lapoint for his

lack of offense and start laying into the other defensemen for their lack of defense. After all they call

it DEFENSE for a reason.

It seems to me that on defense Cornell had their forwards collapsing to the net quite a bit . That allowed our defensemen to play a lot deeper and get involved in the scoring.

Chay has slowly become one of the top point getters on the team. 1-12-13 now in 12 games?

Yeah, Cornell collasped on defense last night you could have put a blanket over the top of their 5 players.

Couple of things:

1. I LOVE how everyone thinks I'm anti-ND Hockey players/local boys. It's funny, really. I'm not, but it is funny. I'm pro-BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. I could give a rats patoot where he's from. If he's from Grand Forks, GREAT! If he's from Timbuktu, GREAT! I would like to see Mario more.

2. Yeah, LaPoint and Malone suck. Throw them under the bus (just for you GBPackrzz) and move on.

Martens is good, but very inconsistent. He'll be dynamite for a game or two (even if he doesn't score a point) and then disappear for the next. I don't know who I'd switch with Mario, but I agree he needs to play more.

4. Oh, if one guy doesn't make the difference (record with and without Mario) then it isn't worth making any sort of deal over.

5. Malone is on the line with Watkins and Kozek because theoretically, Malone is gritty and can work the corners very well. He may also be a decent passer. Kozek and Watkins on the line with Malone SHOULD produce points thanks to a wicked shot (both wingers) and speed (Watkins). My question is about chemistry. Do they have chemistry? Are they communicating on the ice? Is Malone adapting to his role well enough? Watkins and Kozek are being told to go out there and score I'm sure. That puts the rest of the offensive responsibilities (doled out to forwards anyhow) on Malone's shoulders. Not a role he had last season for sure.

You are pro-best player yet you seem to have a thing for Malone and LaPoint :glare: ? Neither one of them have done much in 1+ years. LaPoint was a minus 2 6 1/2 minutes into the game! If Finley come back, both those two should sit and Miller goes back to forward.

You are dead wrong on Martens. He has been one of most solid 2-way forwards night in and out.

As far as Mario and the teams record, it is what it is. Your 201K if he doesn't play tonight, they lose.

Kozek and Watkins, at this point at UND, should be scoring, but they also need someone to help create for them at the center position. Malone is gritty but can't create much...but still not as gritty as Mario!

And by the way, lay the points and take the Pack at home vs. the Panthers. It won't be close if GB gets an early lead.