SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ MSU MAVERICKS

AZSIOUX

What is with all the damn negativity on ss.com lately. it is two games. We are all bummed, but it is the Icebreaker. Give these guys some time to learn the new players. I think that this team will be just fine. I think we sweep this weekend and have a stronger first half of the season then the last few years.

Go Sioux. I am pumped to be in Mankato, to watch the Best College Hockey Team in the Country!

BC is playing in Mankato this weekend as well, what a bonus :silly:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All in all, I feel we are still more talented than the Mavs, but the Mavs hold an advantage in goal in an experienced goaltender who is actually better than MANY give him credit for.

Zacharias might be the most underrated player in the league. He was awesome during the playoff series last year against the Gophers, his level of play was right there with Kangas.

Right now I think the Sioux are the toughest team to make any predictions about simply because of the goaltending situation.

Zacharias might be the most underrated player in the league. He was awesome during the playoff series last year against the Gophers, his level of play was right there with Kangas.

Right now I think the Sioux are the toughest team to make any predictions about simply because of the goaltending situation.

I agree that Zacharias is good, but the Sioux did beat him twice last year at MSUM. The 2nd game, they put up 5 on him and he was pulled in the 3rd period. I realize that MSUM is improved, but it appears that they getting a lot of respect for a team with 1 or 2 NCAA appearances and very few finishes in the top 1/2 of the league. They may prove to be very good this year, but I'm not ready to say that they are a legitimate contender like Denver, CC and Minnesota. If the Sioux do not get at least a split, then I have very real concerns about whether this Sioux team is very good and with the team's recruiting. If the Sioux are truly getting the blue chip prospects like Minnesota, Michigan, Denver, etc., we should be able to beat teams like MSUM. MSUM does not win many recruiting battles with the traditional powers. I frankly expect the Sioux to sweep MSUM every time and anything less than 2 points is a major disappointment and a cause for concern.

I do not believe I am doing this, but I agree with you about Zacharias. He is very underrated, but he does not have a lot in front of him which still means teams can score on them. Just my opinion

Couple of quick questions about this Friday's game. Does Mankato hockey get covered on TV in the cities ? If so, which station ? Also, Is this game sold out or will it sell out ? I'm going to the Northern Iowa-Bison game on Saturday and we're staying in the cities Friday night so I was thinking if we left early enough Friday I just might go down to the game Friday night in Mankato, make it a really fun sports weekend. I've never been to a game there before so I'm kind of in the dark.

*Bump*

Couple of quick questions about this Friday's game. Does Mankato hockey get covered on TV in the cities ? If so, which station ? Also, Is this game sold out or will it sell out ? I'm going to the Northern Iowa-Bison game on Saturday and we're staying in the cities Friday night so I was thinking if we left early enough Friday I just might go down to the game Friday night in Mankato, make it a really fun sports weekend. I've never been to a game there before so I'm kind of in the dark.

will there be a webcast?

If the Sioux are truly getting the blue chip prospects like Minnesota, Michigan, Denver, etc., we should be able to beat teams like MSUM. MSUM does not win many recruiting battles with the traditional powers. I frankly expect the Sioux to sweep MSUM every time and anything less than 2 points is a major disappointment and a cause for concern.

It's one thing to win the recruiting battles for "blue chip" players, it's quite another to get them to play like it on a consistent basis. One thing I miss about Blais is that he wasn't afraid to sit a "star" once in awhile if they were dreaming about the NHL or some puck bunny when they should have been covering Heatley or Leopold.

agree with most of your post, but if we expect a sweep, we should expect 4 points :silly: i could be misunderstanding you here, wouldn't be the first time

I do expect a sweep by the Sioux, but even if MSUM is greatly improved and we are down a little, I still believe a worst case scenario is a split. I would not be satisfied, but at least I would have some expectation that this team will be fine and have a chance at finishing in the top half of the WCHA. Two points on the road in the WCHA is not necessarily bad, but like many Sioux fans who have posted here, I am concerned about this team even though it is early. Anyone who saw this weekend's games would have some of the same concerns. This weekend will tell a lot about this team. If the Sioux do get swept, I don't want to hear the excuses about how much improved MSUM is or that it is a tough place to play. The good teams do not get swept by MSUM, home or away.

I do expect a sweep by the Sioux, but even if MSUM is greatly improved and we are down a little, I still believe a worst case scenario is a split. I would not be satisfied, but at least I would have some expectation that this team will be fine and have a chance at finishing in the top half of the WCHA. Two points on the road in the WCHA is not necessarily bad, but like many Sioux fans who have posted here, I am concerned about this team even though it is early. Anyone who saw this weekend's games would have some of the same concerns. This weekend will tell a lot about this team. If the Sioux do get swept, I don't want to hear the excuses about how much improved MSUM is or that it is a tough place to play. The good teams do not get swept by MSUM, home or away.

I agree with you generally. There are certainly questions about this year's team that need to be answered. Losing 2 games in Mankato would be a concern, but I can also see it happening. I think Mankato IS a pretty good team, so these are not gimme games by any means. Yet a good team like the Sioux needs to at least take 1 game. I won't be completely satisfied with that but it all depends on how the games actually play out.

It's pretty hard to predict a sweep for the Sioux at this point .

Yes, both games. b2livetv.com if i remember right i think each game is 5 or 6 bucks

http://www.b2livetv.com/upcoming_events.as...&value=wcha

Hey Everyone! Not sure who this will all affect, but it appears that we will be able to see the game on Charter Main Street for the Saturday night game. For everyone in the Twin Cities, I believe that is channel 13 KABL, but not 100% sure though.

Here is a link for the Charter Main Street hockey games. They did a bunch of WCHA games last year. It seems they really only cover the St. Cloud, Manakota and a few Duluth games.

http://uscollegehockeytv.com/tv-outlet-sch...MS&sd=M%7CI

GO SIOUX!!!

I was at both games last year and there was a large crowd but I don't believe it was sold out as there were spots of empty seats in many areas. UND had a very large presence at both games and I would expect the same this year.

I think for as us fans, we need to look at this series in Mankato without taking into account what happened at the Icebreaker. If the Sioux split these games, but play well enough, that is what we should expect on the road in the WCHA against a tough Mankato team. We shouldn't focus on the 1-3 record, but rather focus on the fact the boys played hard and earned a split in the conference.

The players on other hand, had better damn well realize they played like garbage last weekend and play with a high level of energy and urgency. They need to have the mindframe of winning all 6 periods, not just the 2 games. No more of this attitude that we can turn it on whenever we want and it will be enough. I think the past 4 years have proven that strategy will only work for so long and never work when it matters most.

That said, I'll predict a split 2-1 Sioux, 3-2 (ot) Mankato.

from what I've seen both games will be on TV in the cities.....per a post I found

Greetings Minnesota fans,

Charter Communications has again worked to get St. Cloud, the University of Minnesota-Duluth and Minnesota State - Mankato games on statewide in Minnesota. I can't speak for the statewide game schedule or St. Cloud's schedule, but MSU-M and UMD fans will see these games on Charter, MediaCom and Comcast for no extra charge this season. (see below for expected channels)

MSU-M and UMD TV schedule:

Oct. 17 North Dakota at Mankato, Minn. 7:37 - 30 minute pre game show

Oct. 18 North Dakota at Mankato, Minn. 7:07

Tickets are available as well if one wanted to make the trip.

I'm in St. Paul and was thinking about it yesterday. Tried ordering a single ticket and pulled center ice down in front. Tried ordering 2 and pulled the sections near the top. In the end I doubt I'll go and will probably watch on TV, but for those thinking about it there's a little FYI for ya.