SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. UMass - 10/11

31-9

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goaltending is the most important position in hockey and the Sioux have major issues there. As much as I admire Walski for sticking with his hockey career he is not a #1 goalie. Eidsness obviously is unproven but hopefully he can run with it ala Bachmann, Kangas and Muse from last season. Mankato will be buzzing for next weekends series and the Sioux had better be ready. I really expected a win today and losing to UMass after being embarrassed by BU is alarming.

I agree. What do you think about either BE or AW starting both games, rather than splitting the starts? Would it give the guy a bit of a boost in confidence if you say "your my guy for both games this weekend"...sort of a "trial by fire"?

As for Miller, his goal was garbage, so don't give him too much credit. He and Duncan on the wings are a complete defensive liability. This isn't a knock, as they both can score, they just can't play D.

For someone that can't play defense, it's amazing that Duncan logs so much PK time. :silly:

I would disagree...I think Duncan is one of our better two-way forwards. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :glare:

-Brewers blew it

-Badgers stink

-Packers stink

-Bucks will stink

-and now the Sioux stink

Yep, my life is coming to an end...

I'm sorry but all those things definitely make me happy, except maybe the Sioux stinking because its always much more fun when both Minnesota and UND are at the top of the WCHA...Sioux will be just fine

Brewers: I'll have zero expectations for them until they actually win something.

Badgers: That makes me very happy, in fact, nothing is better than seeing them at 0-3 in the Big Ten and ranked behind Minnesota.

Packers: Are only 1 game back, not time to jump ship yet. But what did you expect? Lost their whole team in Favre, who was the reason Ryan Grant was at all decent.

Besides, the Vikings haven't shown that they are anything to call home about, this is atrocious.

Bucks: Going to be terrible, just like the T-Wolves.

PK defense is much different than 5 on 5. Maybe its the whole system, and our d aside from Jones tends to be out of defensive position all the time. It could also be a result of Duncan being out against other teams' top lines a lot, and our d just can't hold their own with top forwards.

difference between this years struggles and the previous year's is that we could at least hang our hat on something, i.e. defense or goaltending. this year I haven't seen an area where we will excel. I can think of several areas where we aren't exceling-defense,goaltending, offense and special teams. Question I have is UND quickly becomg a place where scorers come to die? I mean we have all these recruits who come in and put up incredible numbers in juniors and they get here and they struggle to put up 5-10 goals a year.

difference between this years struggles and the previous year's is that we could at least hang our hat on something, i.e. defense or goaltending. this year I haven't seen an area where we will excel. I can think of several areas where we aren't exceling-defense,goaltending, offense and special teams. Question I have is UND quickly becomg a place where scorers come to die? I mean we have all these recruits who come in and put up incredible numbers in juniors and they get here and they struggle to put up 5-10 goals a year.

Name another college program that runs into a "hot" goalie every other game?! :glare::silly::0

The Sioux have started slowly before and typically recover as the season progresses. In fact year in and year out it's the only program that I usually feel no better than 50/50 when the Gophers play them. You guys will be fine.

yes the sioux will be fine but its a trend under coach hak that makes no sense at all. its not about the so so starts that turn around usually around chritsmas but losing to umass opened some eyes. especially when you outshoot them like the sioux did. it happens but if it continues vs msu then there will be real concern. we will find out soon enough.

Let me say up front...

I really hate your program. I mean...I despise your program at a DNA level.

That said, however, don't jump off the ship over an early season losses to teams that are on the rise. Seriously, guys...your team is in a position to be frustrated...and rightfully so...but it's no cause for panic. Your team plays in the WCHA, after all. This isn't Hockey Least. You have a proud tradition and a coach who - despite having issues with finger control - is able to mold a stellar team most years.

Calm down.

While it's true that you should not have dropped those games, a team like the Flickertails should be able to rebound. Keep your heads up. The season isn't over. Now, go out and pound Mankato State...please.

Let me say up front...

I really hate your program. I mean...I despise your program at a DNA level.

That said, however, don't jump off the ship over an early season losses to teams that are on the rise. Seriously, guys...your team is in a position to be frustrated...and rightfully so...but it's no cause for panic. Your team plays in the WCHA, after all. This isn't Hockey Least. You have a proud tradition and a coach who - despite having issues with finger control - is able to mold a stellar team most years.

Calm down.

While it's true that you should not have dropped those games, a team like the Flickertails should be able to rebound. Keep your heads up. The season isn't over. Now, go out and pound Mankato State...please.

wow, what a inspiring message. down right motivational............now go out and get swept by SCSU....please !

didnt say it would..yeah, you are right. might as well not even play the games :silly: a split will be more than likely to happen but that was a response to that inspiring post !

I agree, might as well not play the games. Just give us the sweep so I don't need to bother hauling my broom to the game on Saturday.

I'm tired of "hot goalies" and "battled and battled". Those are excuses.

UND has unproven goaltending right now. The solution to that is fairly simple.

Yes, it's pretty simple: skate, shoot, score.

Skate.

Shoot.

Score.

You come out with the intention of hanging up 2 goals per period and not many will hang with you.

Skate.

Shoot.

Score.

Folks, that's how the rest of the country is playing. That philosophy has whipped UND hard in the playoff the last couple of seasons. And now it kicks off this season. Yes, defending your net is important, but goaltending can relax and play better if you do something very important to help it out:

Skate.

Shoot.

Score.

i have to agree with sica here. i didn't see the games, and only listened to part of the game online saturday... but only putting up 3 goals all weekend, and i would expect two losses. i don't know what is wrong, that's the coaching staff's job, but the sioux need to be more offensive minded. it's hard to win when you only score a goal or two each game. we have alot of guys who can bury the puck, i'd love to see it come to fruition. guys like frattin, duncan, trupp, kozek, watkins, gregoire, genoway, vv, etc, these guys should be flying around and creating scoring opportunities. the goalie situation is what it is... hopefully one of the guys will step up and grab the opportunity that is there, but if we continue with this anemic offense, it won't matter. i don't see us posting 6 or 7 shutouts like last season, so step it up sioux and play old time sioux hockey!! lets start the wcha season off right with a sweep of the purple cows in their barn!!! go sioux!!

I'm tired of "hot goalies" and "battled and battled". Those are excuses.

UND has unproven goaltending right now. The solution to that is fairly simple.

Yes, it's pretty simple: skate, shoot, score.

Skate.

Shoot.

Score.

You come out with the intention of hanging up 2 goals per period and not many will hang with you.

Skate.

Shoot.

Score.

Folks, that's how the rest of the country is playing. That philosophy has whipped UND hard in the playoff the last couple of seasons. And now it kicks off this season. Yes, defending your net is important, but goaltending can relax and play better if you do something very important to help it out:

Skate.

Shoot.

Score.

What's your problem? This is no time for reason and logic. This is a time for unmitigated panic!!!! :glare:

I agree that if the offense plays well, the rest of the game gets easier. It's tough to win when you're backed up in your own zone. I must say, I'd getting a bit tired of the slow starts, punctuated by a late-season stumble into the tourney only to get bounced from the FF. :0:silly: