Sioux vs. UMass - 10/11

31-9

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No timing or chemistry.....yet!

It'll come, but this is hard to watch.

Last night the sioux won 47 out of 74 faceoffs and had a huge edge in power play time and...nothing.

Winning faceoffs usually benefits the Sioux greatly, but it doesn't help if you win the draw and the first pass is rifled off the boards or all the way through the center of the ice.

No timing or chemistry.....yet!

It'll come, but this is hard to watch.

Last night the sioux won 47 out of 74 faceoffs and had a huge edge in power play time and...nothing.

Winning faceoffs usually benefits the Sioux greatly, but it doesn't help if you win the draw and the first pass is rifled off the boards or all the way through the center of the ice.

One of the only positives so far has been the faceoff won-lost ratio. Unfortunately, our guys are not cycling the puck very well, and they are coughing up odd-man rushes, which was their undoing last year against BC.

So, I am going to try and be constructive here.

We are not playing team hockey. Offensively we are not playing sound positionally; we are not coming in waves, but rather as individuals. Passes need to be generated because someone can do something with the puck, not because you can't do anything with it.

The defense is showing that they are incapable of breaking the puck out, that means the forwards have to be even more conscious of where they are in transition. Both UMass and BU have completely eliminated our ability to transition.

Defensively, I think they all need a wake-u[p call.

Stromer,

The PWR means a ton no matter what, just ask CC. PWR determines seeding.

The way we look so far, as bad as a junior C hockey club, maybe its a blessing.

There is zero team going on.

You have to beat the best anyways. I don't think seeding really matters unless you are trying to make the tourney. But as I said, as of now the PWR won't mean squat to us.

Here's to that. If UND has trouble with UMass, they will be screwed in the WCHA, unless the learning curve goes very well.

I said last year that the Sioux were going to take a step back in 2008-2009 and was skewered by the Positivity Police. We brought in some very talented players, but rarely do guys just jump in as freshmen and dominate. The fact is our upperclassmen just aren't as talented as they have been in the past. I respect the heck out of guys like Duncan, Kozek, and VV and the talent they do possess, but they simply aren't talented enough to carry this team offensively. And let's face it, despite all the depth we've had, the Sioux go as their best players go. With our lead-skated D corps and uncertainty in net, it's most likely gonna take 4-5 goals every game to win this year, which means we need 3 goals from our top 2 lines and hope to get 1-2 elsewhere. That's a lot to ask.