SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. UMass - 10/11

31-9

As I Said..

The Sioux skate fast and hard and have no idea, no plan, no clue of what to do with it.

They show very little to no creativity.

They didn't show much last year either, but last year they were a well practiced technically sound squad that played nice defense with the exception of Genoway and LaPoint.

I said it last year and I'll say it again. LaPoint does not have the skating skill to do well in D1 hockey.

Also, before anyone busts me for my Genoway comment, get a copy of last years semifinal game and see how many goals Genoway made the big error to allow a bad play that directly allowed the shot.

Genoway is a superb athlete and a top of the line player, but he does not have the experience to defend against elite forwards in D1 Hockey.

I really like Genoway but ya gotta accept what you see on the ice. He is raw at defensive technique and it shows against highly skilled well coached forward lines.

Oh and a couple more harsh realities:

Kozak doesn't do anything good with the puck except shot it. Any time he is not taking a shot he is a liability on the ice.

Duncan is such a week defender that, since the end of the 06-07 season, teams have been putting thier top line against ours and maintaining possesion in their offensive zone about 75% of the time Dunk is on the ice.

If we can't maintain the possession in the Zone (Hak style) then we sure as heck can't continue to play dump and run hockey. We have to get creative on rushes and I swear the Collective Sioux coaching staff has no clue at all about teaching that.

Find two guys that can skate up the ice with Duncan and make a play. So far it has not been Kozak, VV, Miller, Watkins.

Maybe Trupp? Hopefully Toews???

CAN SOMEONE, anyone, MAKE A NICE SET UP feed pass???

It requires touch. Who has touch on our team??

Yes Duncan does but he is getting pounded half the time so he can't do it alone..

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although averaging 1.5 goals a game against an unproven goaltender and a crap goaltender is getting too close to 0 for me.

and im sure it is as well to the team and coaches. im sure it will be a intense week of practice for the guys. they will come out on friday and get the W

didnt say it would..yeah, you are right. might as well not even play the games :silly: a split will be more than likely to happen but that was a response to that inspiring post !

Hey, I was just trying to offer a bit of encouragement.

If you guys come into the season down, it won't be as much fun to sweep you. :glare:

Hey, I was just trying to offer a bit of encouragement.

If you guys come into the season down, it won't be as much fun to sweep you. :silly:

i am far from down. some fans react different than others. its 2 games. yes they were 2 different games but both ended up in losing which isnt a god start but it is WAY early to know what this team is about.

good luck with scsu......sweep? cant remember th last time the gophers did that to the sioux :glare:

I'm tired of "hot goalies" and "battled and battled". Those are excuses.

UND has unproven goaltending right now. The solution to that is fairly simple.

Yes, it's pretty simple: skate, shoot, score.

Skate.

Shoot.

Score.

You come out with the intention of hanging up 2 goals per period and not many will hang with you.

Skate.

Shoot.

Score.

Folks, that's how the rest of the country is playing. That philosophy has whipped UND hard in the playoff the last couple of seasons. And now it kicks off this season. Yes, defending your net is important, but goaltending can relax and play better if you do something very important to help it out:

Skate.

Shoot.

Score.

Kindof like my philosophy. However, we did that against UMass, didn't we? We outshot them 42-16.

That being said, the more time spent in our offensive zone, the less time spent in our defensive zone. That has to be good.

Do we?

Haven't really seen it for quite a while.

So if we do, pretend I'm from Missouri: Show me.

yes, we do. most of them have proven that at numerous levels. some, like duncan, kozek and vv, at this level. and you're right, we haven't seen it for a while. i would love for them to show all of us what the coaches who recruited them know they can do. i am hoping we see the first of many offensive explosions this coming weekend in mankato. it will take 60 minutes of fighting sioux hockey both nights, which i can't wait to see. last weekend was disheartening for sure, but that doesn't mean these guys can't bury the puck.

Do we?

Haven't really seen it for quite a while.

So if we do, pretend I'm from Missouri: Show me.

LOL, I think Sicatoka is right we aren't a prolific team, but I think there is a strong possbility the Sioux could be this season.