SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

I have to believe that Troy Murray's 45 goals and 99 points is a former Sioux record in the NHL. Go for it Zach!

I was wondering what former Sioux players had the highest numbers. I know Blake had a great year his last year with the Islanders, netting 40 goals that year, but I wasn't sure who else was up there. Thanks. I think Zach has a great chance to break that record this year.

Zajac with an assist thus far in tonight's Devils/Canadians game. Brodeur going for win 551 to tie Roy, so that's the big hype. Game is blacked out on NHL.com...at least here in GA! :D

EDIT: They've given Parise a second assist now for the first goal.

I was wondering what former Sioux players had the highest numbers. I know Blake had a great year his last year with the Islanders, netting 40 goals that year, but I wasn't sure who else was up there. Thanks. I think Zach has a great chance to break that record this year.

Zajac with an assist thus far in tonight's Devils/Canadians game. Brodeur going for win 551 to tie Roy, so that's the big hype. Game is blacked out on NHL.com...at least here in GA! :D

Watching it out here in minnesota right now on the NHL network. God I miss watching zajac and parise with the sioux jerseys' on, they are monsters out on the ice !

I think Zajac is really an under the radar guy this year. He is having a FANTASTIC year!

Last year he had a so-so year. In 82 games he netted 14 goals and 20 assists to go with a -11 +/- rating.

In 68 games this year, he's got 19 goals, 39 assists for 58 points. He's also tied(w/ Blake Wheeler) for the league lead in +/- rating at +34. Not only that, but he's carrying an astounding 53.2% faceoff percentage(24th in the lg)!

I know that having a linemate like Parise makes things easier in getting the assists, but I honestly think that Parise is better by having Zajac as a linemate. I have found myself faithfully following the Devils just to watch these 2 play together. I heard in an interview that their line (ZZ-Pops(Langenbrunner) line) expects to score every shift, and the way they can dominate a game is just amazing.

I admit I am biased as Zajac is my favorite player to come through the UND system. ;)

I think Zajac is really an under the radar guy this year. He is having a FANTASTIC year!

Last year he had a so-so year. In 82 games he netted 14 goals and 20 assists to go with a -11 +/- rating.

In 68 games this year, he's got 19 goals, 39 assists for 58 points. He's also tied(w/ Blake Wheeler) for the league lead in +/- rating at +34. Not only that, but he's carrying an astounding 53.2% faceoff percentage(24th in the lg)!

I know that having a linemate like Parise makes things easier in getting the assists, but I honestly think that Parise is better by having Zajac as a linemate. I have found myself faithfully following the Devils just to watch these 2 play together. I heard in an interview that their line (ZZ-Pops(Langenbrunner) line) expects to score every shift, and the way they can dominate a game is just amazing.

I admit I am biased as Zajac is my favorite player to come through the UND system. ;)

Yeah, Chico said that same thing during a game about the line believing they can score every shift.

Zajac's had an awesome year, and it's almost as if a lot of teams don't take him serious yet, as a threat. He's made it an effort and one of his goals to do better than 50% in winning faceoffs, and he's definitely done better. In the month of February, I think he was at a 62% or something like that.

It's just simply a fun line to watch. They have so much energy, and I don't think Langenbrunner wouldn't have that energy if he weren't skating with Parise and Zajac. They're just two guys who are enjoying their youth by playing hockey.

These young former Sioux forwards all have great plus/minus scores. I wonder if that's just because they and their linemates have been scoring well, or if can be attributed to a program that produces good defensive forwards.

These young former Sioux forwards all have great plus/minus scores. I wonder if that's just because they and their linemates have been scoring well, or if can be attributed to a program that produces good defensive forwards.

It's because they're always on the ice at the right time. Just like why Finley's +/- was so high his first two years. ;)

From the UND media guide:

Blake: 40g 06-07

Christian 41g 85-6; 37g 87-8

D.Hextall 30g 72-3

T. Murray 45g 85-6

Smail 31g 84-5

Parise 31g 06-7; 32g 07-8

Career total

Christian 340

Murray 230

And for those too young to know, Troy Murray centered the checking line that played against the other team's top line all the time. He was very popular with the Blackhawks fans who appreciated his work.

And for those too young to know, Troy Murray centered the checking line that played against the other team's top line all the time. He was very popular with the Blackhawks fans who appreciated his work.

Absolutely.

He won the Selke in 1985-1986 as the best defensive forward in the NHL.

Not to mention that he scored 99 points that year.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...?pid%5B%5D=3872

It is simply fun to watch Zajac, Parise and Langenbrunner. I remember watching Langenbrunner in the MN high shcool tournament when he and that russian kid took Cloquet to St. paul. Langenbrunner was just sick. I think he had 100 points in a high school season as a junior, then he left Cloquet to play in the OHL and did well at Peterborough.

Fun to have an NHL line and team with so much WCHA and MN and UND representation. Paul Martin is an important member of that team as well. Congrats to the boys and congrats to their goaltender for becoming the winningest in NHL history.

It is simply fun to watch Zajac, Parise and Langenbrunner. I remember watching Langenbrunner in the MN high shcool tournament when he and that russian kid took Cloquet to St. paul. Langenbrunner was just sick. I think he had 100 points in a high school season as a junior, then he left Cloquet to play in the OHL and did well at Peterborough.

Fun to have an NHL line and team with so much WCHA and MN and UND representation. Paul Martin is an important member of that team as well. Congrats to the boys and congrats to their goaltender for becoming the winningest in NHL history.

Do you know which Russian kid?

I'm curious now.

Freshman off campus

T.J. Oshie wasn't sure what to expect heading into his first season with the St. Louis Blues.

The former University of North Dakota star wanted to come in, work as hard as he could, and hope his college game would transfer to the NHL level. So far things have gone pretty well.....

After an assist in last night's contest against the Oilers, Oshie is tied for 10th among rookies in league scoring with 30 points in 45 games. More importantly, the five-foot-11, 170-pound centre has not been a liability on the ice, leading his team with a plus-12 rating.

SI did a feature on butterfly goaltending and it goes in depth on what happened to Jordan Parise while in the AHL.

Jordan Parise, the older brother of Devils' center Zach Parise, was unlucky. Parise started using the butterfly at age 12, and four years later added heavy squats to the training load borne by his hips. Exactly what causes a person's femur to be misshapen is not entirely clear, but doctors suspect genetics and the influence that heavy loads can have on growing bones. For Parise, 26, it culminated in September 2007 when his Lowell Devils -- New Jersey's AHL affiliate --faced off against the Portland Pirates.

Going down for a save, Parise felt like "everything in my left hip kind of released and then retracted real quick." Over the next few months, as his season spiraled into an abyss, team doctors and trainers stretched and massaged Parise for every manner of groin and hip strain. "I'm letting in shots from outside the blue line," he says, "and I can't figure out why I can't close my five hole."

His inability to fully rotate his hip inward should have been a dead give-away. "If you see that, you can almost be sure that something is not OK with the hip joint," says Mario Bizzini, a Swiss doctor who has operated on European hockey pros. But a team doctor told Parise that the pain was in his head. "He said the only people that tear their labrums are people in car accidents," Parise says.

Team trainers stretched Parise more thoroughly, which only made the problem worse. As Philippon says, "if you're stretching, and the ball doesn't fit in the socket, you're going to accentuate the conflict."

Parise continued to play and finished the season having given up 3.55 goals per game, compared to 2.68 the prior year. An MRI arthrogram -- an MRI after a dye injection that seeps into joint cavities to highlight damage -- revealed the worst. By the time Parise found Philippon in February, his labrum was so torn that it had to be re-anchored to the bone in three places.

"[Philippon] said he couldn't believe I could even walk," says a crestfallen Parise, who feels fine now, but his poor 2007-08 season forced him to take his game to EC Red Bull Salzburg in Austria's Erste Bank Hockey League.

Also, didn't someone mention a while back that they were going to the Devils - Hawks game last night? You picked a great game to attend; we had a great crowd last night, hope you liked The Rock.