Which one is gone, and when  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is gone, and when

• Vanek gone as soon as deal is inked.
    • Zack gone as soon as deal is inked.
    • Who Cares.
    • Vanek and Zack both going.
    • Zack going Vanek staying.

I personally think that Buffalo is going to sign Vanek to a nice deal. I think some Gopher fans are sweating/shaking in their boots that Vanek is going to sign. I mean really. Some fans of certain team's can beg all they want and these people can talk all they want about not losing certain players but really it all comes down to money. :p:0???:D;);)

I hate this time of year because it is when players start annoucing they are not returning to school and are signing pro contracts. I really am excited about UND hockey this fall. But hey, I can wait...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vanek may go. But I think you overrate how easily a team like Buffalo (or any NHL team these days) is gonna be willing to shell out money before they have to.

But even should he depart, Vanek's potential absence won't keep the Gophers from being a serious threat to win it all again. Much to your chagrin. ;)

Vanek may leave, although history doesnt show that to be a real strong possibility. But who knows what Buffalo wants. IMO they would be smarter to bring both Vanek and Ballard after next season (assuming the strike doesnt happen) and market the heck out of the duo. They could make a windfall if both make the team.

If you want my opinion, the strike/lockout is the key. If there is one, than you will see Vanek, Parise and Suter sticking around after next season. (Yes I am saying they are all playing next year in the WCHA...although I pray Suter leaves Sconnie hanging ;) ) If there is no stoppage, all three will be gone. Most scouts think Suter and Vanek are ready now, and chances are Parise will have a better season next year than he did this year. NJ seems willing now (my what a difference 5 years can make I guess) to sign players (Hale, rumors of Martin this year and Tallackson possibly next year) and I believe they want Zach in their system badly.

That is just my $.02 on the issue.

As much as I would like to see Vanek go before the upcoming season, the Sabres GM didn't make it seem very likely with his post selection comments.

As for Parise, I don't think it is a given, lockout or not, that he will leave after next season. New Jersey has a tendency to let their college draft picks remain in college for at least three years to mature and grow; recent years see Hale, P. Martin, Commodore, Gionta, etc.

In my opinion, it was a win-win for Sioux fans and for Parise in that NJ won't rush him and Parise will be going to a very strong club (at least over the last 8-10 years).

As much as I would like to see Vanek go before the upcoming season, the Sabres GM didn't make it seem very likely with his post selection comments.

Wasn't sure whether that was as it sounded or the beginning of negotiations for how many $ they would like to get him for.

In the local TV interview after he was picked, Vanek was pretty neutral. He plans to talk to the Sabres' people, as well as the Minnesota coaching staff over the summer. I can't really imagine the Sabres are going to throw a good chunk of 5th pick $$$ at him, unless the new ownership is intent on rebuilding the club in a hurry and is willing to spend accordingly to recoup their investment.

As far as Parise, unless he really toughens up next season, and UND gets to the FF, I think he'll be around 2 more years. NJ seems to have a better grasp of the college level more than other clubs, and they'll probably be content to let him develop over time

Ok, off all those drafted from the local region, I'd expect Suter and Vanek not to return to college.

Suter: The fact that he's considering going pro means, to me, that he's waiting to see what the signing bonus is for hos new team. Also what assurances he can get about the timeline for him making the NHL. If the numbers don't match up, he'll be wearing red in the Fall. If they do, well then, he's gone.

Vanek: Well, this is still up in the air, but I'm saying he doesn't return. He's rookie of the year, he gets mucho points for the Gophers and wins a national championship. Apart from winning the Hobey Baker award, what's left for him to do in the WCHA? He's drafted 5th overall. That means $$$$$$$. Buffalo, despite what the GM said, is looking for anything resembling offense. They are also looking for a playmaker a la Ilya Kovalchuk type. They got it and I'll bet they want him. I say he's gone. Period.

It is true that the Gophers won't "suck" because Vanek leaves, but they won't have the speed Vanek gave them anymore. Hard to say how this will effect the outcome. Afterall, Vanek wasn't the only offensive threat on the Gophers. It will help everyone else though. One less weapon to be used against everyone else is always a helpful thing.

I think that they are both going to stay another year. Vanek will be gone after next season and Parise will be here for at least another one after that. I don't know what kind of money Vanek will have thrown at him by Buffalo, but they do need him pretty desperately. The Devils may want Parise to stay around for a few more years. Look what it did for Brian Gionta.

Not that I have anything against the Kings, but do you suppose that might leave Murray more inclined to leave early, being that he may be playing for his dad. Assuming, of course, that he is still around as coaches seem to be hired and fired on a weekly basis in the NHL. I think Murray is doing a great job in LA and may be still around in a few years though. Thoughts?

I think the main issue to this is that New Jersey just won the stanley cup and buffalo finished 12th in the east. NJ has no reason to rush Parise along. As of right now they have 4 really good centers under the age of 30 in addition to Joe Nieuwendyk. On the other hand Buffalo is in a rebuilding stage and what better way to do that than with your first round draft pick. Other than James Patrick (40), the oldest guy on the team is 31. I think Vanek will fit in on this team next year, and I think he's gonna try it out.

It is true that the Gophers won't "suck" because Vanek leaves, but they won't have the speed Vanek gave them anymore. 

Minnesota will have speed. Their whole team is built around it. Vanek gives ;) them scoring, scoring in big games at crucial times. That's what would be missed the most.

Seems like the last thing you would want to do is put your kid in a position to fail. Bad enough for him but also embarrassing for yourself. So my opinion might be that Andy would be less inclined to rush Brady along.

Plus, I'm guessing the Murray clan is fairly well off financially.

(Compare that to the finances of an Austrian hockey coach ....)

• 2 weeks later...
It is true that the Gophers won't "suck" because Vanek leaves, but they won't have the speed Vanek gave them anymore.

I'm not sure that I agree with this comment. Vanek is a great player, but speed is not his forte. He is an incredible stickhandler, very strong on his skates, and is a sniper, but not real fast. Minnesota has many faster players like Riddle, Guyer, Ballard, Paul Martin, etc.

I agree that losing Vanek would be huge because he is a big time goal scorer. I don't see that they lose anything in speed.

At this point, all of this is speculation at best. Who knows what is going on in Vanek's mind, let alone the Sabres. I do agree that there is not a whole lot to play for after winnng a championship, particularly with the risk of injury if he stays.

Say what you like, but I'm happy he stayed a year. I'd like to see him play. Someone this highly regarded has to be fun to watch.

I'd be a lot happier if he'd be coming with his Wisconsin team to GF to play -- from the looks of the schedule the only way we'll see him in GF will be IF the teams meet in (with UND being the higher seed) the 1st round of the WCHA playoffs. Darn unbalanced schedule -- I really, really miss seeing the Badgers in GF every year.

http://www.undalumni.org/hockey.htm

• 3 weeks later...

This may be applicable to any player who was drafted or looking to go in as a free agent: A hockey agent I do business with has been advising his stable of veterans to sock away at least 12-18 mos worth of salary in advance of next year's CBA expiration. Owners and the NHLPA are miles apart, and neither side is in a mood to negotiate for the good of the sport. Moreover, a number of NHL players are also negotiating provisions to their deals that allow them to play in European leagues in the event of work stoppage, lock out, etc. if they have "rival league" provisions in their contracts. He told me the odds of the 2004-05 season are probably less than 40% right now, so he expects to sign a number of his MJ "clients", and maybe a few college guys from the east, to NHL deals sign in August to get the money now. He thinks '03 rookie dollars are probably the peak given teams' and the NHL's financial positions.

Just thought I'd share this with Goon since he has been so convinced (or maybe I should say praying) that Vanek would leave.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030...801/1050039.asp

Looks like there should have been a voting spot for both Vanek and Parise staying. Can't say much for the predicting skills of the 34 people who said Vanek would leave. :)

I'm actually not surprised that Vanek may be staying at Minnesota. I received an email today from a friend who knows Wally Shaver, and that is the word in Minneapolis. Surprisingly, however, Paul Martin is leaning towards signing a pro contract. Paul Martin is an excellent player, and will probably make a good pro, but I think Vanek is more ready.