• Zack gone as soon as deal is inked.
    • Who Cares.
    • Vanek and Zack both going.
    • Zack going Vanek staying.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd share this with Goon since he has been so convinced (or maybe I should say praying) that Vanek would leave.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030...801/1050039.asp

Looks like there should have been a voting spot for both Vanek and Parise staying. Can't say much for the predicting skills of the 34 people who said Vanek would leave. :)

The following line from the article couldn't sit well with gopher fans!

disappointing former No. 1 draft pick Erik Rasmussen

I'm actually not surprised that Vanek may be staying at Minnesota. I received an email today from a friend who knows Wally Shaver, and that is the word in Minneapolis. Surprisingly, however, Paul Martin is leaning towards signing a pro contract. Paul Martin is an excellent player, and will probably make a good pro, but I think Vanek is more ready.

As much as I'd like Martin to return, if I were him I'd sign. The money isn't going to significantly better next year, but it could be significantly worse.

If he signs this year, he is on equal footing with Hale and DeMarchi. If he waits a year and either one of those two establishes themselves, his chance at NHL ice time will decrease (likely his bonus as well.)

My opinion is that Martin is better now than Hale or DeMarchi and if he leaves now, he will be the first of the three to see NHL ice time. If he waits and either Hale or DeMarchi plays well, he will have to be ALOT better then them to unseat either of them for ice.

Replacing Martin and DeMarchi will mean the Gophers will play some high scoring games at the start of the season, but as the season wears on they will improve and tighten things up. In order to threepeat the Gophers will need outstanding defensive play. Weber is capable of playing great, but he will have an off game during the tourney. Luckily, it was not the Frozen Four this past year!

"We feel that he could probably play in the National Hockey League this year," Regier said, "but it would be in a limited role, and in all likelihood he would be best served with the continuation of his development at the University of Minnesota."

Translation.....We're not going to offer you the $1MM signing bonus this year. You need to go back and play another year of college hockey to work on certain aspects of your game.

I'm sure Vanek wanted to sign this summer. You'd be a fool not to take the contract and signing bonus if they offered it to you. They're trying to make it sound like it was his choice, but if they had said "we want you", and they offered him the money, he would be gone by now.

Maybe Vanek wanted to come back cause he read your dribble about how his title meant nothing cause he didnt win the McNaughton with it :):)

Remember Rick knows everything, well accept that he doesnt but its ok cause Vanek is back and that is all that matters :)

Maybe Vanek wanted to come back cause he read your dribble about how his title meant nothing cause he didnt win the McNaughton with it  :)  :)

Remember Rick knows everything, well accept that he doesnt but its ok cause Vanek is back and that is all that matters  :)

How 'bout that, a den of gophers show up to spread the news. Take it somewhere to someone who cares. We've all seen the link on uscho. If you must gloat, do it there, it gets old here.

Translation.....We're not going to offer you the $1MM signing bonus this year. You need to go back and play another year of college hockey to work on certain aspects of your game.

As crazy as it sounds, the $1M signing bonus is not that much when compared to other picks if then Vanek was being offered a two-way contract.

Bouchard got the rookie max of $3.5M over three years guarenteed. He was a #8 overall pick vs. the #5.

Vanek did get beat up quite a bit in WCHA play last year, trying to fight off NHL defencemen at 19 may not have been his top choice without the max cash.

Or you could be completely right. :)

My opinion is that Martin is better now than Hale or DeMarchi and if he leaves now, he will be the first of the three to see NHL ice time. If he waits and either Hale or DeMarchi plays well, he will have to be ALOT better then them to unseat either of them for ice.

Don't really agree with you on this assessment; I

think Hale & Martin are pretty equal talent-wise.

I don't think Martin is anywhere close to Hale in

terms of physical play--punishing open-ice body

checks, clearing the front of the net, fighting when

need be--attributes similar to Scott Stevenson.

Martin can't punish big NHL power forwards like

LeClair, Tkachuk (sp) & others...

But Martin is a much better offensive player & has

the transition skills Hale & many other D-men

lack. If Hale can keep his medical condition under

control, I'd say they're pretty equal

Taking this back to Vanek, my opinion at the end of the year was that he had outgrown his current league. He really was a man among boys by the end of the year, and he will dominate at times next year when he asserts himself. Parise was great last year and will be better this year, but he had not outgrown college hockey like Vanek had, IMO. It's too bad for the rest of us that Buffalo didn't snatch him up, because usually somone that good is gone when they get to be that good, especially if they win a title. It's a gift to Gopher fans, to be sure.

Since he's bigger than the college game, the only chance a team has against Vanek is to have defensemen who are bigger than the college game. Does anyone know a team with a group of Top 4 defensemen that are all big, tough, NHL-style guys? All of whom could eventually play at the NHL/AHL level? The thought that maybe that particular team will have a chance to compete makes me smile.

I wouldnt have said anything, but Rick brings out the worst in me :)  Plus I dont think I really gloated all that much.

How about this, I will never come back here if I never see a ND poster show up on POI.  :)

Don't post on POI, but if I were to respond each time I think a POI gopher fan says something that is garbage regarding the Sioux, I'd have to give up my job to have the time.

For instance, responding to DE would be a lifetime job in itself.

I do like the overconfidence being shown by Gopher fans, whether any of their current players leave or not. It will make them getting beat much more interesting on the boards, if nowhere else.

Yeah, I guess Gopher fans are supposed to think their team sucks after winning two titles in a row and having over 90% of the team back. Yeah... right. I don't see anybody guaranteeing any result but feel free to dream that picture up if you wish.

It will still be a tough road no matter who stays/goes. But the picture at least looks a little brighter with guys like Vanek returning. Frankly, I don't care what some nimrod tries to dream up for a reason for Vanek's return. Whether it is because Buffalo wasn't ready to spend the money or whether everybody felt he was better off in college another year, Vanek will be back and we are happy.

I think the majority of us know the year won't be a cakewalk. BC and Michigan look awfully tough too so I am not taking anything for granted as far as the national title picture.

Yeah, I guess Gopher fans are supposed to think their team sucks after winning two titles in a row and having over 90% of the team back. Yeah... right. I don't see anybody guaranteeing any result but feel free to dream that picture up if you wish.

Vintage Hammy. Still trying to get even for the late 90's-2001.

I'm always comfortable taking the entire DI field vs. any one team.

First, I'd like to say that, though I am surprised, I am happy to see the Vanek is staying. This way I'll get to see him at the Ralph.

Second, I agree with Sioux fan in Phoenix. It really depends what NJ wants in a defenseman at the NHL level. If they want someone who is fast and can score as a defenseman, as well as someone to work with the Power play, then Martin is someone to look at. But if they want a defensive defenseman who is smart when it comes to defensive skating, PK, and great physically, then Martin will be riding a bus in the NHL while Hale gets to the big time. Hale tore stuff up when he returned late last season. He was playing good hockey. Paul was too, but in a very different style.

Third, it doesn't matter WHO is out there, Hockey East SUCKS. WCHA all the way. I'll root for Minnesota before I root for any of those pretty boy hype jockeys they call Hockey East. Panzies the lot of them. They just have ESPN to make them look tough.

Fourth, if you want to flame teams, good for you. Let's flame Hockey East. They build teams to do just that. WCHA has its rivalries, but we're still better than anyone else.

Third, it doesn't matter WHO is out there, Hockey East SUCKS. WCHA all the way. I'll root for Minnesota before I root for any of those pretty boy hype jockeys they call Hockey East. Panzies the lot of them. They just have ESPN to make them look tough.

Fourth, if you want to flame teams, good for you. Let's flame Hockey East. They build teams to do just that. WCHA has its rivalries, but we're still better than anyone else.

The best thing I've read in this thread :)

Third, it doesn't matter WHO is out there, Hockey East SUCKS.  WCHA all the way.  I'll root for Minnesota before I root for any of those pretty boy hype jockeys they call Hockey East.  Panzies the lot of them.  They just have ESPN to make them look tough.

Actually, I used to refer to Hockey East, and their posters on USCHO, as "purse swinging, Nancy-boys". :):)

I agree about the conference rivalries and loyalty. WCHA teams play each other and their fans beat up on each other, but it's a "family thing". And none of those purse swinging, Nancy-boys from HE or any other conference messes with us.

Oh yeah, although I think Vanek is probably the best offensive player in the league, and plays for the rodents, I look forward to seeing him for another season. Now ... I have to shower. :)

Oh yeah, although I think Vanek is probably the best offensive player in the league, and plays for the rodents, I look forward to seeing him for another season. Now ... I have to shower. :)

Its about time, you havent showered since the Frozen Four in St. Paul if I had to guess from the stench :)

Second, I agree with Sioux fan in Phoenix. It really depends what NJ wants in a defenseman at the NHL level. If they want someone who is fast and can score as a defenseman, as well as someone to work with the Power play, then Martin is someone to look at. But if they want a defensive defenseman who is smart when it comes to defensive skating, PK, and great physically, then Martin will be riding a bus in the NHL while Hale gets to the big time. Hale tore stuff up when he returned late last season. He was playing good hockey. Paul was too, but in a very different style.

Hard to argue with this. However, if P. Martin stays and Hale or DeMarchi performs well in the physical role. NJ could easily find other more experienced options for the role P. Martin would play.

My take is P. Martin has better chance of sticking in the NHL if he goes now and outplays Hale and DeMarchi. A player does not always get a second oppurtunity.

My take is P. Martin has better chance of sticking in the NHL if he goes now and outplays Hale and DeMarchi. A player does not always get a second oppurtunity.

I don't necessarily see P-Mart as a direct competitor to Hale, so much as a complementary player as they bring different skills and playing styles. However, I agree that getting into the system earlier and gaining experience at the AHL and NHL levels can probably make the difference when it's close. NJ has a good rep for developing players over time, another reason I'm glad they drafted Parise, so I would expect them to put some pressure on P-Mart to sign now and get him into their AHL program at its longer, more rigorous schedule. I don't buy the standard line that another year at the college level does much for a player beyond his junior year when a year or two in the AHL would probably be more helpful over the long term.

I agree about the conference rivalries and loyalty. WCHA teams play each other and their fans beat up on each other, but it's a "family thing". And none of those purse swinging, Nancy-boys from HE or any other conference messes with us.

I could not agree more. The only caveat is I cannot cheer for UW. Otherwise I have no problem cheering for any other WCHA team in the NCAA tournament.