• Zack gone as soon as deal is inked.
    • Who Cares.
    • Vanek and Zack both going.
    • Zack going Vanek staying.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UW is too foul to us Gophers fans. There success in FB and BB is consistantly brought to my attention by co-workers.

Could a Sioux fan root for the NDSU football/hoops teams?

Never, Suck starts with SU... It is like cheering for the Dirty Badgers, Hussies or Gophers in hockey. I would have to take a shower... I do however, cheer for the Gopher Football team.

Never, Suck starts with SU... It is like cheering for the Dirty Badgers, Hussies or Gophers in hockey. I would have to take a shower... I do however, cheer for the Gopher Football team.

I would cheer for the Badgers or the Bison over the Gophers hockey team anyday. My 2nd favorite team will always be whoever is playing the Gophers. If you want to know why, just read posts by Happy and others on USCHO, or listen to Sid Hartman, Mike Max, Dark Starr and others on Midwest Sports Channel/Fox, or remember the game against Ferris State where 90% of the Gophers fans cheered for Ferris State. By contrast, when Wisconsin wins (and they do have a history) they don't flood USCHO and the Sioux message board reminding everyone how great they are and why others suck, and Wisconsin fans have always cheered for other WCHA teams at Regionals and NCAA's.

I say this with all due respect to some of the respectful posters like Greyeagle, Sagard and Handyman (most of the time). If everyone acted like you did, there may not be as much animosity. I also realize that there are Sioux fans that are also bad, but Gopher fans and Boston College fans seem to be the worst.

I would cheer for the Badgers or the Bison over the Gophers hockey team anyday. My 2nd favorite team will always be whoever is playing the Gophers. If you want to know why, just read posts by Happy and others on USCHO, or listen to Sid Hartman, Mike Max, Dark Starr and others on Midwest Sports Channel/Fox, or remember the game against Ferris State where 90% of the Gophers fans cheered for Ferris State. By contrast, when Wisconsin wins (and they do have a history) they don't flood USCHO and the Sioux message board reminding everyone how great they are and why others suck, and Wisconsin fans have always cheered for other WCHA teams at Regionals and NCAA's.

I say this with all due respect to some of the respectful posters like Greyeagle, Sagard and Handyman (most of the time). If everyone acted like you did, there may not be as much animosity. I also realize that there are Sioux fans that are also bad, but Gopher fans and Boston College fans seem to be the worst.

Dude that is so true. Win with class and lose with class.

I have said it before and I will say it again...why do I care whether or not you cheer for my team? Why do you care if I cheer for yours? Where did this idiotic idea of "conference loyalty" come about? I never got it.

If I spend all year hating the Sioux, why do I have to cheer for them to win if they make it farther? I dont, that is what is great, if I am not cheering for the Gophers I dont have to cheer for anyone else. I admit I cheered for FSU over UND, mainly because I didnt think FSU was getting much respect and UND was getting quite a bit. In the same vein, I also figured it would be easier beating FSU overall than beating UND, who had already won at Mariucci earlier this year. I cheered for BC over you guys the second time around (you guys the year before) cause I honestly didnt want to see what the boards would have been like if the Sioux had won another title. Just more taunts our way cause we hadnt won one in 23 years and how you had so many in such a short time. Just like you are hearing from some MN losers now. (if you notice, the words "Repeat, Threepeat, National Champs, Cupcake and so on almost never grace my posts)

I also dont care whether people think I have class. (although it is nice to know people often find me respectful...off the boards believe me I have tons of respect for almost every team) Class is in the eye of the beholder, and most who accuse others of being classless are no better themselves. I mean for every Gopher poster who annoys you guys with their tripe there is a UND poster doing the same thing. (and 3 SCCC posters...but that is another thread :) ) It is all the same despite arguments from both sides.

So in conclusion, hate my team! I beg you too! I dont want your support nor does the team need it. If you want to cheer, fine. If not, fine. Either way my allegiances dont change. I cheer for the Gophers first, second, third, fourth and fifth, and then MAYBE after that I find another team to cheer for. It has been you guys before, in basketball it was once a team I refuse to admit I cheered for, I even cheered for SCCC once. It all depends on whether I have a reason to...it is in no way based on any sort of conference loyalty. It also doesnt mean I dont repect the rich tradition of your school or team, or hate all your fans. While I may not bow down to the "Almighty 7" believe me I understand how great a feat that is. My hatred of you is borne of respect, not ignorance.

Now here is hoping you suck next year :) :) :)

I have said it before and I will say it again...why do I care whether or not you cheer for my team? Why do you care if I cheer for yours? Where did this idiotic idea of "conference loyalty" come about? I never got it.

If I spend all year hating the Sioux, why do I have to cheer for them to win if they make it farther? I dont, that is what is great, if I am not cheering for the Gophers I dont have to cheer for anyone else. I admit I cheered for FSU over UND, mainly because I didnt think FSU was getting much respect and UND was getting quite a bit. In the same vein, I also figured it would be easier beating FSU overall than beating UND, who had already won at Mariucci earlier this year. I cheered for BC over you guys the second time around (you guys the year before) cause I honestly didnt want to see what the boards would have been like if the Sioux had won another title. Just more taunts our way cause we hadnt won one in 23 years and how you had so many in such a short time. Just like you are hearing from some MN losers now. (if you notice, the words "Repeat, Threepeat, National Champs, Cupcake and so on almost never grace my posts)

I also dont care whether people think I have class. (although it is nice to know people often find me respectful...off the boards believe me I have tons of respect for almost every team) Class is in the eye of the beholder, and most who accuse others of being classless are no better themselves. I mean for every Gopher poster who annoys you guys with their tripe there is a UND poster doing the same thing. (and 3 SCCC posters...but that is another thread :) ) It is all the same despite arguments from both sides.

So in conclusion, hate my team! I beg you too! I dont want your support nor does the team need it. If you want to cheer, fine. If not, fine. Either way my allegiances dont change. I cheer for the Gophers first, second, third, fourth and fifth, and then MAYBE after that I find another team to cheer for. It has been you guys before, in basketball it was once a team I refuse to admit I cheered for, I even cheered for SCCC once. It all depends on whether I have a reason to...it is in no way based on any sort of conference loyalty. It also doesnt mean I dont repect the rich tradition of your school or team, or hate all your fans. While I may not bow down to the "Almighty 7" believe me I understand how great a feat that is. My hatred of you is borne of respect, not ignorance.

Now here is hoping you suck next year ;):) :)

I agree. I'm tired of political correctness, particularly on a Sioux message board. However, where I differ is that my dislike for the Gophers is not due to respect or ignorance, it is due 100% to fans of the Gophers. I respect the Gophers players and program, I just cannot stand about 95% of Gopher fans. They are truly unrivaled.

This is why I'll never root for UMN in anything. When they came up to GF to play the Hrkac Circus, they pulled the most classless act I have ever witnessed. I can't remember whether it was the first or second game of the series (I think it was the second) or whether it was the first or second intermission (again, I think it was the second). As I recall, the Sioux had the game well in hand.

Anyway, at one of the intermissions of the series, the UMN cheerleaders took to the ice with a huge banner (it seemed to stretch from blueline to blueline, although that might be a bit of an exaggeration) and said, "University of Minnesota Golden Gophers --- America's Team". A near riot in the stands ensued almost immediately.

This would have been a classless act had they done it in their own rink, but to do it in the opposition's rink was just pure crap. To my knowledge, no one was hurt. Despite that, I think this is the most classless act I've ever seen because it was obviously premeditated, it was done in the opposition's home rink, and was carried out by official representatives of the school. I've got to believe Woog knew about in advance. He may have even came up with the idea himself. He just couldn't stand that his team, which was very good that year by the way, was clearly being dominated.

Yes, the UMN fans are disproportionally arrogant, but the arrogance of the program is what I find to be the most distasteful. :)

I also found quite amusing last year's comment by Lucia on UND and Zach. It went something like, "We don't need a freshman to carry the mail for us". I'm curious where he thinks his team would have ended up last year without leading scorer Vanek, who just happened to be a freshman (and a non-American). I mean, all he did was score the game winners in both of their games in the frozen four. Maybe his definition of "carrying the mail" for the team differs from most people. Or maybe he just has a double standard. :)

Ummm, shouldnt you be just as mad at UND for allowing the Minnesota cheerleaders onto the ice with the banner? You act as if Woog had this grand idea in the middle of the game to put them out there. Now I wasnt there, but I doubt that would even be possible. What was your school thinking allowing the opposing teams cheer squad on your ice? Myself I would be more upset with that.

Don't try turning this one around Handy :) . While I won't go so far as to say what UM did was "classless" (because I would have laughed my arse off if UND did that back to UM for instance), it is the kind of thing that helps strengthen rivalries and brings character to the sport.

Personally I love hating MN for these kinds of reasons. The sport wouldn't be as much fun if it was more antiseptic.

:)

I agree. I'm tired of political correctness, particularly on a Sioux message board. However, where I differ is that my dislike for the Gophers is not due to respect or ignorance, it is due 100% to fans of the Gophers. I respect the Gophers players and program, I just cannot stand about 95% of Gopher fans. They are truly unrivaled.

How quickly you forget the noise from Grand Forks during the 20-1 start last year. It was at a level not even reached during the Sioux's fabulous run from '97-'01.

I've been given the old "Gophers Suck" by drunken Sioux fans in '97 at the Civic Center, '00 Mariucci Regional and even this year at the X. I'm not going to use the broad brush and say all Sioux fans are morons for this, I just move on.

How quickly you forget the noise from Grand Forks during the 20-1 start last year.

At least the Sioux were 20-1 when the noise started. Goph fans now predicting not only a 3-peat or more (8-peat), and a 40+ win season (which would mean 4 losses or less and no ties). Very lofty fan goals, and a long way to fall. Gophs better start 20-1 also. Better do some schedule changing and get Canisius 5 times or more before Christmas. Guess noone else has a chance, unless we are to believe "newman", in which case BC will win.

At least the Sioux were 20-1 when the noise started. Goph fans now predicting not only a 3-peat or more (8-peat), and a 40+ win season (which would mean 4 losses or less and no ties). Very lofty fan goals, and a long way to fall. Gophs better start 20-1 also. Better do some schedule changing and get Canisius 5 times or more before Christmas. Guess noone else has a chance, unless we are to believe "newman", in which case BC will win.

It is rediculous what some people think.

The Gophers and the Sioux for that matter should have great teams next year that can compete for the NCAA title.

Unlike most Gophs fans, I'm not convinced this team is as good on paper as the '01-'02 team primarily due to defense. The '02 team had Leo, Demarchi, Martin, Angell, Ballard and Stevens. I'm not convinced this years group of defense will measure up.

The offense looks better than '01-'02, but the '01-'02 was loaded as well and many of the same players remain. Goaltending is a push.

I admit I'll be disappointed with less than the Frozen Four, but you would be too if your team was back-to-back champs.

Lastly, you know you will hear talk about going undefeated if the Gophs win their opening tourney. Then at the end of November if the Gophs have 3-4 losses people will think the sky is falling.

sagard, I like you because you call a spade a spade either way, and don't get too up or down on stuff.

It is true that Sioux fans did some of the same stuff. I think it is reasonable for you to expect to make the FF easily. I gag at all the three-peat crap.

It's that time of the year again. We need the puck to drop because all we're doing is finding things to snipe at each other for.

Damstrait...The way that the act is described does not come across as classless to me (however I wasn't there). A little disrespectful, yeah maybe. I don't know how many Sioux-Manitoba games you've been at, but we have been chanting USA USA at the last 4, at least. I think that they should not have been allowed on the ice with the banner in the first place, but they were. It's in the past everyone should let it go.

On Minnesota fans already talking about a repeat...guess what? I remember doing it in 2000-01 (for a repeat) before the season even started. It's not really uncommon to hear fans doing that.

Being from the TC I know a lot of Gopher fans. I see no difference between hardcore Gopher fans and hardcore Sioux fans. Both are extrememly loud, they annoy the opposing team and their fans, love thier team, and last but not least, are very nice people when the final buzzer sounds.

Damstrait...The way that the act is described does not come across as classless to me (however I wasn't there). A little disrespectful, yeah maybe. I don't know how many Sioux-Manitoba games you've been at, but we have been chanting USA USA at the last 4, at least. I think that they should not have been allowed on the ice with the banner in the first place, but they were. It's in the past everyone should let it go.

On Minnesota fans already talking about a repeat...guess what? I remember doing it in 2000-01 (for a repeat) before the season even started. It's not really uncommon to hear fans doing that.

Being from the TC I know a lot of Gopher fans. I see no difference between hardcore Gopher fans and hardcore Sioux fans. Both are extrememly loud, they annoy the opposing team and their fans, love thier team, and last but not least, are very nice people when the final buzzer sounds.

What a group hug! If you are one of the fans who indeed gloats, brags about your team or taunts, or finds that behavior acceptable, please recognize that you are in the distinct minority and have probably never coached youth sports. Most prefer the Barry Sanders approach (humble, let actions do the talking and act like you have been there before) to the Deion Sanders, Isiah Rider approach (cocky, in-your-face, no respect for opponents).

By the way, how do you distinguish between "classless" and "disrespectful"? Does not being disrespectful show a lack of class? :)

MinnesotaNorthStar Posted on Aug 11 2003, 05:06 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damstrait...I think that they should not have been allowed on the ice with the banner in the first place, but they were.

Handyman Posted on Aug 11 2003, 01:35 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm, shouldnt you be just as mad at UND for allowing the Minnesota cheerleaders onto the ice with the banner?...What was your school thinking allowing the opposing teams cheer squad on your ice?

Ummm, no. As I recall, at that time UMN cheerleaders usually traveled with the team up to GF without much incident. You're right though, UND officials should have known they couldn't trust UMN cheerleaders to act with class. :) And they didn't unfurl the banner before coming out onto the ice (not even UMN cheerleaders are that stupid :) ). Instead, I seem to remember that one of them skated out with it still folded up , and then when out on the ice they pulled it end-to-end.

You act as if Woog had this grand idea in the middle of the game to put them out there.

Ummm, no, I clearly state that it was premeditated. I don't think that they could have created the banner quickly enough if Woog had come up with the idea mid game.

Myself I would be more upset with that.

Ummm, why do I find that not hard to believe? :)

MinnesotaNorthStar Posted on Aug 11 2003, 05:06 PM

I don't know how many Sioux-Manitoba games you've been at, but we have been chanting USA USA at the last 4, at least.

I never claimed that UMN had a monopoly on classlessness. ;) I'm not very keen on 'USA' being chanted when U Manitoba visits. This is being done by the fans, not official representatives of the school, however.

So many things I WANT to say, so many things I WON'T on the UND board!

Things I WILL comment on:

IMO, I agree with several of the previous posts about politcal correctness that has creeped into our society to the point of affecting college hockey boards! PC sucks!

I think the biggest problem people had with the large banner "incident" was that the Gopher CC's could actually skate! AND went as far as to go on opponets ice! :):0:)

As for some of the big future many predict for the Gophs this year, why not, after all, we are fans with nothing better todo than root for our team and have hope. IMO, the biggest thing ANY team has going against them in ANY year is the single game ellimination at the FF. A bad bounce and you are hosed. Personally, I think the Gophs have a good chance of making it to the champ game, but who knows it COULD be UW and Canisius! :) Ok, maybe not, but with the way things can go it easily be UND and BC next year. I am not predicting a 40+ game win this year, I just want to get to the FF. A few losses help build a team IMHO. You need the losses to build the character any tream needs to come thru in the clutch.

And now, JUST FOR DAGIES:

you gag at the three-peat stuff only because we have a chance to do it! :0:p;);):p;):) Hey you invited me here!

WPoS

IMO, I agree with several of the previous posts about politcal correctness that has creeped into our society to the point of affecting college hockey boards! PC sucks!

Right on, WPoS.

I know this is a hockey forum but I just had to add something: Political correctness is much more than a catchy phrase--the concept was first started in Stalinist Russia in 1923 with the intent of prohibiting free speech. It's now prevalent in American universities & elsewhere...

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Great news that Zach could be around 2 more years.