SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

No, I am saying I'd like NDSU to get home-and-homes with some of the big powers such as Montana, App State, Montana St. home-and-home. I don't want NDSU to lose a home game every other year (referring to NDSU/UND game every year) and lose the chance to watch the Montana's and App States of FCS. Not every year allows for 12 game seasons. I saw a list of when 12 games will be allowed, and it looked like once every 5 years or something along those lines?

NDSU has made it work just fine without playing UND. In fact, NDSU football is a bigger event now than it was when UND was a part of the schedule. UND could really use the big local game on the schedule for fan interest, NDSU doesn't gain that same benefit. Maybe by the time this game would be played, UND wouldn't need the big "signature" type game on the schedule to generate fan interest anymore, but right now, I look at UND and can't help but think, "What have you done in FCS to merit NDSU signing a home-and-home with you?" I understand that rivalries might be an exception to that way of thinking, but I'd like UND to accomplish something before NDSU signs into an agreement to go on the road to play them.

While this is certainly possible, and very likely that some years UND will have a better team, keep in mind that division II success doesn't always translate. UNC is terrible. They have been genuinely bad since they moved into the Big Sky. They were quite a force towards the end of their time in Division II. Anytime a school moves up, they risk falling flat on their face. It is completely possible, that UND falls on its face just like Northern Colorado. It is also completely possible, that UND becomes a middle of the road team, or UND becomes an exceptional team.

I agree that the game should be played, if it isn't played I really won't care too much.

Oh please oh might NDSU, we are just a poor little school who would please like to play you sir. I hope we can prove our worth in the next couple years so we can be deemed a worthy adversary!!

Give me a break!!! We have played over a hundred games spanning over a century!! This game was the biggest game on both schedules for years. There is not other FCS opponent that would create as much buzz and excitement than UND. Absolutely none!!

But you are right. You would much rather bring in powerhouse teams like Robert Morris and Prairievie A&M. Curios to hear what they have done to prove they deserve to play you? I didn't know the standards were so high to merit a game with NDSU!! The arrogance of some of you Bison fans is rediculous!!! If you are going to have these"el;ite standards" for who you will play or not, you will experience scheduling nighmares because no one will want to play you because you won't do a home and home deal!!

Get over yourself and just look at what this game is. It is UND/NDSU!! 110 games we have played each other. A little history there. We can play in any other sport and create a little buzz, but nothing comes close to UND v. NDSU football!!

Here's what I don't get. Don't schedule UND because we want 6 home games. It has to be 6 home games....ask UNI who their last home game they scheduled against will do to their season... (DII)!!!! One of these years that NDSU won't schedule UND they might end up with their 6th home game being Sioux Falls or Mayville.

Oh please oh might NDSU, we are just a poor little school who would please like to play you sir. I hope we can prove our worth in the next couple years so we can be deemed a worthy adversary!!

Give me a break!!! We have played over a hundred games spanning over a century!! This game was the biggest game on both schedules for years. There is not other FCS opponent that would create as much buzz and excitement than UND. Absolutely none!!

But you are right. You would much rather bring in powerhouse teams like Robert Morris and Prairievie A&M. Curios to hear what they have done to prove they deserve to play you? I didn't know the standards were so high to merit a game with NDSU!! The arrogance of some of you Bison fans is rediculous!!! If you are going to have these"el;ite standards" for who you will play or not, you will experience scheduling nighmares because no one will want to play you because you won't do a home and home deal!!

Get over yourself and just look at what this game is. It is UND/NDSU!! 110 games we have played each other. A little history there. We can play in any other sport and create a little buzz, but nothing comes close to UND v. NDSU football!!

Prairie View and Robert Morris are coming to the dome to get stomped, and we don't have to make a return trip. That is what makes them worthy.

Here's what I don't get. Don't schedule UND because we want 6 home games. It has to be 6 home games....ask UNI who their last home game they scheduled against will do to their season... (DII)!!!! One of these years that NDSU won't schedule UND they might end up with their 6th home game being Sioux Falls or Mayville.

UNI also has less money to throw around than NDSU...to be fair.

That will never happen because teams across the country are lining up to fly to Fargo, North Dakota. :crazy::lol:

• Upvote 1

Prairie View and Robert Morris are coming to the dome to get stomped, and we don't have to make a return trip. That is what makes them worthy.

UNI also has less money to throw around than NDSU...to be fair.

And NDSU has so much cash they can remodel the BSA...ooops no they don't.

Previously a Bison follower said he would rather play the Montana Schools than UND every year. He must be quite envious then about the fact that UND plays the Montana schools regularly in the Big Sky. UND can survive very nicely without NDSU on the schedule now. The game is no more important to one school over the other now.

Previously a Bison follower said he would rather play the Montana Schools than UND every year. He must be quite envious then about the fact that UND plays the Montana schools regularly in the Big Sky. UND can survive very nicely without NDSU on the schedule now. The game is no more important to one school over the other now.

Remember they are looking for winnable games. They did beat Montana in 2003 and haven't beaten UND since 2000.

And NDSU has so much cash they can remodel the BSA...ooops no they don't.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/360888/

Haha, sorry darell but it sounds like the money is pretty well there now to get started as soon as this fall. But if you want proof NDSU's football budget is better than UNI's look no further than last year when we gave their defensive backs/defensive coordinator a demotion and he came to Fargo because he was getting a raise.

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/360888/

Haha, sorry darell but it sounds like the money is pretty well there now to get started as soon as this fall. But if you want proof NDSU's football budget is better than UNI's look no further than last year when we gave their defensive backs/defensive coordinator a demotion and he came to Fargo because he was getting a raise.

How long has they been raising money for the BSA?

I cited the Montana schools as an example of teams I'd like to see NDSU play. We have agreements in place to play both of them I believe. I don't think too many people are "envious" that UND is going to play them. Just like UND probably isn't exactly envious that we play Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois and Youngstown State.

I'd say right now the game is more important to UND than NDSU because NDSU has a lot of big, positive momentum. UND right now, is struggling with attendence, and fan interest. I imagine if UND makes a smooth transition into the Big Sky and gets its issues fixed, then the game will not benefit either side more than the other.

How long has they been raising money for the BSA?

I am not sure, but they've received about $10 million since September. I first remember hearing anything about renovations after the Woodside Administration made it to the Big Dance.

No, I am saying I'd like NDSU to get home-and-homes with some of the big powers such as Montana, App State, Montana St. home-and-home. I don't want NDSU to lose a home game every other year (referring to NDSU/UND game every year) and lose the chance to watch the Montana's and App States of FCS. Not every year allows for 12 game seasons. I saw a list of when 12 games will be allowed, and it looked like once every 5 years or something along those lines?

NDSU has made it work just fine without playing UND. In fact, NDSU football is a bigger event now than it was when UND was a part of the schedule. UND could really use the big local game on the schedule for fan interest, NDSU doesn't gain that same benefit. Maybe by the time this game would be played, UND wouldn't need the big "signature" type game on the schedule to generate fan interest anymore, but right now, I look at UND and can't help but think, "What have you done in FCS to merit NDSU signing a home-and-home with you?" I understand that rivalries might be an exception to that way of thinking, but I'd like UND to accomplish something before NDSU signs into an agreement to go on the road to play them.

While this is certainly possible, and very likely that some years UND will have a better team, keep in mind that division II success doesn't always translate. UNC is terrible. They have been genuinely bad since they moved into the Big Sky. They were quite a force towards the end of their time in Division II. Anytime a school moves up, they risk falling flat on their face. It is completely possible, that UND falls on its face just like Northern Colorado. It is also completely possible, that UND becomes a middle of the road team, or UND becomes an exceptional team.

I agree that the game should be played, if it isn't played I really won't care too much.

I also remember a couple years ago when NDSU was 3 and 8 and the Fargodome was vacant at halftime of most games. It does have its cycles.

No. People like lakes are trying to not want the game. There was a small sioux suck chant at the game. There was a sioux suck chant when they got home. I have been to every home game for years...I haven't heard a real sioux suck chant at an NDSU football game since we actually palyed UND. In the student section, you'll hear a few people and clusters of friends do it from time to time. Yes, I am not surprised at a former Bison players wedding they would do that. It is something Bison fans have always done. I don't know why you care....it is just what people do. The Texas and Texas A&M fight songs both talk crap about the other school. Those schools will not be playing from now on, and I'm betting the songs will not change.

I don't care. I just find it funny that every response is that such a small percentage of fans want the game when its been made clear time and time again this year that your fans won't let it go. You proved my point by trying to justify your point by naming state schools that play eachother every year as your example. I think the volleyball and basketball games this year have more to do with not wanting the games scheduled than your fanbase moving on.

If you looked at the post I was responding to, my post gave him exactly what he wanted in a schedule plus an annual rivalry game with UND. He said that besides conference games he wanted an FCS creampuff game, an FBS game, and wanted to play some games against other FCS teams for a little variety. That's exactly what I outlined. The only thing it doesn't give you is a guaranteed 6 home games each year. He didn't ask for that. My scenario would give NDSU at least 6 home games most years. There would be 5 once in a while, and may be 7 once in a while. But even playing UND every other year isn't going to guarantee that NDSU would have 6 home games each year. And as we saw again this year, NDSU will have trouble finding schools to come to North Dakota some years, as will UND. So trying to follow the "magic" formula that you refer to isn't a guarantee that you will get what you want either.

Gene Taylor has already hinted that the Prairie View $200,000 game is getting really close to the cap that they can afford. He has talked of scheduling alliances between conferences allowing fans to see a variety of opponents. An ideal schedule would be in one year having a cream puff, FBS and a FCS power conference team. With the following year having a cream puff, FBS and UND. NDSU fans want 6 home games now but we all know it can't continue. 6 home games are what the fans want right now and that is what he has been able to do so far and it has been working well. A 12th game isn't going to happen while Craig Bohl is head coach both he and Taylor have publicly stated that many times. That is why I said that NDSU isn't going to be very willing to change that formula too much.

You guys are trying so hard to talk yourselves into not wanting this game. Sioux suck chants during the nat'l championship, Sioux suck chants when you returned from the nat'l championship, Sioux suck chants at home games. Hell I was at a wedding last weekend in Dickinson of a former Bison player and a Sioux suck chant broke out at the end of the dance. Your post should read that there are not many of the 50 regulars on B'ville who want an annual game, there are more than plenty that want it to happen but are nervous of the outcome.

I don't know too many that don't want this game. Just not as frequently as you guys do. If we play in the same conference again then we can play annually. You guys want to change everything that NDSU has been doing scheduling wise and expect everyone to be ok with it. NDSU fans are trying to say that we'll play you but you aren't going to tell us how we are going to go about doing that. If you don't like our offer we will look elsewhere. This isn't the DII days when this was a must for both schools budgets. UND now has their big named conference teams coming to GF and NDSU has thier big named conference teams coming to Fargo.

Gene Taylor has already hinted that the Prairie View $200,000 game is getting really close to the cap that they can afford. He has talked of scheduling alliances between conferences allowing fans to see a variety of opponents. An ideal schedule would be in one year having a cream puff, FBS and a FCS power conference team. With the following year having a cream puff, FBS and UND. NDSU fans want 6 home games now but we all know it can't continue. 6 home games are what the fans want right now and that is what he has been able to do so far and it has been working well. A 12th game isn't going to happen while Craig Bohl is head coach both he and Taylor have publicly stated that many times. That is why I said that NDSU isn't going to be very willing to change that formula too much.

It's good to see NDSU fans acknowledging UND isn't a creampuff anymore :cool: What does the 12th game have to do with the coach (I really don't know)? Does Bohl just not want a 12 game season?

It's good to see NDSU fans acknowledging UND isn't a creampuff anymore :cool: What does the 12th game have to do with the coach (I really don't know)? Does Bohl just not want a 12 game season?

The risk is too great. He has stated that the conference schedule alone is enough to prepare for the playoffs. He frequently calls it a meat grinder. I've heard him say he'd take the extra week off to rest and prepare over the potential for profit and experience gained with a 12th game.

I don't care. I just find it funny that every response is that such a small percentage of fans want the game when its been made clear time and time again this year that your fans won't let it go. You proved my point by trying to justify your point by naming state schools that play eachother every year as your example. I think the volleyball and basketball games this year have more to do with not wanting the games scheduled than your fanbase moving on.

When NDSU swept UND (I think we did?) in volleyball and absolutely destroyed UND in basketball last year, I still wouldn't have been "GET THEM ON THE SCHEDULE!!!!"

Texas A&M and Texas won't be playing anymore it sounds like. Those songs won't change. Even if they don't play, it won't change the fact that they hate one another.

Don't pull the "holier than thou" card. I have loads of friends at UND. When we have went to house parties and such and I wear an NDSU hat, I get harassed all night. And thats fine. That is how it goes. Don't go claiming that it is just NDSU people who can't let it go.

Bohl has said he doesn't want 12 games I believe. he has also said that he is open to discussing it though too I think.

When NDSU swept UND (I think we did?) in volleyball and absolutely destroyed UND in basketball last year, I still wouldn't have been "GET THEM ON THE SCHEDULE!!!!"

Texas A&M and Texas won't be playing anymore it sounds like. Those songs won't change. Even if they don't play, it won't change the fact that they hate one another.

Don't pull the "holier than thou" card. I have loads of friends at UND. When we have went to house parties and such and I wear an NDSU hat, I get harassed all night. And thats fine. That is how it goes. Don't go claiming that it is just NDSU people who can't let it go.

Bohl has said he doesn't want 12 games I believe. he has also said that he is open to discussing it though too I think.

UND haven't moved on and haven't claimed to have moved on. A vast majority of UND fans want the game played every year and fully acknowledge that the rivalry has been alive all along despite the dead period in the transitions. Its the NDSU fans who claim to have moved on, and that they don't consider it a rivalry anymore, and they don't ever want to play us again that are being hypocritical. The rivalry is just as bitter now as it was ten years ago in the eyes of both schools' fans. Yet its Bison fans who say they've moved on but don't act accordingly.

UND haven't moved on and haven't claimed to have moved on. A vast majority of UND fans want the game played every year and fully acknowledge that the rivalry has been alive all along despite the dead period in the transitions. Its the NDSU fans who claim to have moved on, and that they don't consider it a rivalry anymore, and they don't ever want to play us again that are being hypocritical. The rivalry is just as bitter now as it was ten years ago in the eyes of both schools' fans. Yet its Bison fans who say they've moved on but don't act accordingly.

Agree to disagree then. I have witnessed plenty of posts on here claiming that UND fans have moved on and do not care, and the same people probably are some of the same ones who attack NDSU people for claiming the rivalry is done. Other than some people such as Lakes, I do not know anyone particular who doesn't look at UND as a chief rival. The rivalry has went from a real honest one, to a pretty childish feud at this point though IMO.

• 2 months later...

Word from Vermillion is that a home at home with the Yotes is in the works for 2013-2014.

We would be on the road in 2013 and home in 2014.

If true, with the addition of USD, thats a hell of a 2013 schedule:

Thu, Aug 29 Valparaiso Sat, Sep 07 South Dakota State Sat, Sep 14 Montana Sat, Sep 21 Open Sat, Sep 28 Montana State * Sat, Oct 05 Idaho State * Sat, Oct 12 Eastern Washington * Sat, Oct 19 Portland State * Sat, Oct 26 Sacramento State * Sat, Nov 02 Northern Arizona * Sat, Nov 09 Northern Colorado * Sat, Nov 16 UC Davis * .

Finally heard something back on this, was told UND declined to sign the contract for 9/21/2013 vs USD @ Sioux Falls. No word on 2014.

Would've been nice to have a driveable road game.

Finally heard something back on this, was told UND declined to sign the contract for 9/21/2013 vs USD @ Sioux Falls. No word on 2014.

That sucks. I would like UND to play the Yotes. I suppose they don't want 12 games. (2013 is a 12 game year)

... was told UND declined to sign the contract for 9/21/2013 vs USD ...

I wonder ... I wonder ...

I know of a team that needs home games in 2013.

Yeah, they need FBS home games, but haven't scheduled an FCS school in the five home games yet.

All they have for home games so far is Northern Illinois and NMSU.

And it's awfully late to be looking for 2013 games.

That school?

Idaho.

If I'm right, UND could be turning a home and home with USD into a paycheck at Idaho (leaving another date in 2014 open for another paycheck).

Or, Idaho will need games when other teams are in conference. Think if UND goes there on Sept 21, 2013, Faison could get Idaho here on Oct 18, 2014?

Yeah, they need FBS home games, but haven't scheduled an FCS school in the five home games yet.

That school?

Idaho.

If I'm right, UND could be turning a home and home with USD into a paycheck at Idaho (leaving another date in 2014 open for another paycheck).

Well, my hope is that there is a money game in play. But Idaho? Again? Egads. (Though you are probably right.)

That school?

Idaho.

Or, Idaho will need games when other teams are in conference. Think if UND goes there on Sept 21, 2013, Faison could get Idaho here on Oct 18, 2014?

A rumor out of Idaho says that they have most of their 2013 schedule arranged. They just couldn't actually sign contracts until the State Board gave them permission to go with the independent schedule. We will see if the rumors are true.

I'm thinking it was probably because that is the only open date for the whole season, other than the final weekend, and it is right in between Montana and Montana St.